CSNbbs
Zable Stadium Renovation - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Zable Stadium Renovation (/thread-722145.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - hktribefan - 05-19-2015 09:28 AM

(05-19-2015 09:14 AM)Mrs. Got Ribe Wrote:  I am also trying to make the numbers work. It seems we should have more capacity after this is done. There will be fewer rows on lower West side as we are losing a few rows at the top (maybe just in middle sections??).

The wider seats are only on the West side. There will be no changes to East side seats.

There will be a new structure built on NE corner for concessions and men's bathroom. Women's bathroom will be built under visitor seating.

The brochure that came out last week shows the East side non-student parts will be bleacherback for the three "outer" sections and premium bleacherback for the inner section that you have to donate to sit in. That seems like those seats would be the same size as the ones on the West side, though I haven't seen anything to support that, so I was extrapolating on that one.

Zable Stadium Renovation - SoCal Frank - 05-19-2015 09:49 AM

(05-13-2015 10:52 PM)Tribal Wrote:  
(05-13-2015 05:26 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  Easy.

Renew our stadium with our oldest rival.

Flip from last game of year to first game. We are at Richmond for 2015, so would be perfect.

How about our first opponent, Norfolk YMCA? Or, step up a level and scrimmage Hampden-Sydney or Randolph Macon for old times sake.

You could go the other way, since this will be a new look; why not invite SC in for a blown up scrimmage. The Trojan Band would be a big hit. Fight on!

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - 62Indian - 05-19-2015 10:30 AM

West Side: In addition to eliminating the number of seats in each row from 25 seats down to 20 seats per row, TD also alluded to the COMPLETE ELIMINATION of the TOP ROWS in certain [unidentified] Sections to facilitate access to the new Suite Level where new restrooms and concessions will be located. All of the seats in the West side will be wider than at present, all of the aisles will also be wider and there will be handrails up and down each aisle. TD also stated that many of the seating and access changes were drived by ADA Codes, Regulations, Government standards etc.

East Side: The ONLY CHANGE to this side will be the addition of handrails in the aisles. All of the present seating will remain AS IS. New modern women's bathroom facilities will be installed underneath the current Visitors Fan seating Section. And a seperate new building will be constructed in the North East end of the stadium close to the North end of the East stands for new Men's Rest rooms and a new permanent Concession stand.

They are aware that the Team Entrance from the Laycock Center to the playing field is a big traffic problem and they claim to be exploring ways to address this.

There will be three elevators on the West side. ONE AT EACH END of the new structure to access the upper levels and one at the South End of the West stands to move fans from roughly the parking lot level up to the level of the playing field.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - hktribefan - 05-19-2015 10:38 AM

(05-19-2015 10:30 AM)62Indian Wrote:  West Side: In addition to eliminating the number of seats in each row from 25 seats down to 20 seats per row, TD also alluded to the COMPLETE ELIMINATION of the TOP ROWS in certain [unidentified] Sections to facilitate access to the new Suite Level where new restrooms and concessions will be located. All of the seats in the West side will be wider than at present, all of the aisles will also be wider and there will be handrails up and down each aisle. TD also stated that many of the seating and access changes were drived by ADA Codes, Regulations, Government standards etc.

East Side: The ONLY CHANGE to this side will be the addition of handrails in the aisles. All of the present seating will remain AS IS. New modern women's bathroom facilities will be installed underneath the current Visitors Fan seating Section. And a seperate new building will be constructed in the North East end of the stadium close to the North end of the East stands for new Men's Rest rooms and a new permanent Concession stand.

They are aware that the Team Entrance from the Laycock Center to the playing field is a big traffic problem and they claim to be exploring ways to address this.

There will be three elevators on the West side. ONE AT EACH END of the new structure to access the upper levels and one at the South End of the West stands to move fans from roughly the parking lot level up to the level of the playing field.

Good to know. I haven't looked at exact numbers yet, but keeping the extra seats on the East side should offset eliminating the back row of the West side. Don't know if it's 1-for-1, but I'll take a look in a bit.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - wml33t - 05-19-2015 11:47 AM

Does anyone know the access options for the new upper level? Just steps? Elavator?

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - Tribe Fan - 05-19-2015 12:22 PM

(05-19-2015 09:28 AM)hktribefan Wrote:  
(05-19-2015 09:14 AM)Mrs. Got Ribe Wrote:  I am also trying to make the numbers work. It seems we should have more capacity after this is done. There will be fewer rows on lower West side as we are losing a few rows at the top (maybe just in middle sections??).

The wider seats are only on the West side. There will be no changes to East side seats.

There will be a new structure built on NE corner for concessions and men's bathroom. Women's bathroom will be built under visitor seating.

The brochure that came out last week shows the East side non-student parts will be bleacherback for the three "outer" sections and premium bleacherback for the inner section that you have to donate to sit in. That seems like those seats would be the same size as the ones on the West side, though I haven't seen anything to support that, so I was extrapolating on that one.

A couple of questions asked were , was the East side going to get some of the same upgrades and if any thought on moving student section.
The East side will remain the same with the exception to section 116 which is next to the cattle entrance and it will receive the new Bleacherback seats.
The student section will stay where it is since it is easier for the students to enter/exit. Spencer said he had given thought to swapping the visitors and student sections and even moving the students to the West side.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - Tribe Fan - 05-19-2015 12:23 PM

(05-19-2015 11:47 AM)wml33t Wrote:  Does anyone know the access options for the new upper level? Just steps? Elavator?

Steps and elevators, no ramps

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - WMTRIBE75 - 05-20-2015 08:24 AM

(05-19-2015 10:30 AM)62Indian Wrote:  West Side: In addition to eliminating the number of seats in each row from 25 seats down to 20 seats per row, TD also alluded to the COMPLETE ELIMINATION of the TOP ROWS in certain [unidentified] Sections to facilitate access to the new Suite Level where new restrooms and concessions will be located. All of the seats in the West side will be wider than at present, all of the aisles will also be wider and there will be handrails up and down each aisle. TD also stated that many of the seating and access changes were drived by ADA Codes, Regulations, Government standards etc.

I went to the meeting in Virginia Beach last night. Once again the question was raised about stadium capacity after the changes are made, and, as several others have noted, TD stated that the overall capacity would not change. If I heard correctly, about 1000 seats in the current West stands will be lost as a result of wider seats, wider aisles, and taking out some of the seats along the top rows because of building a pathway to the suites, concessions and bathrooms. That must mean that the new upper deck and suites will add about 1000 seats. I also thought that I head either Terry or Spencer say that there are currently about 10,000 permanent seats at Zable.

How in the world did we ever have 15,000+ attendance in the old days?

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - hktribefan - 05-20-2015 09:31 AM

(05-20-2015 08:24 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  

I went to the meeting in Virginia Beach last night. Once again the question was raised about stadium capacity after the changes are made, and, as several others have noted, TD stated that the overall capacity would not change. If I heard correctly, about 1000 seats in the current West stands will be lost as a result of wider seats, wider aisles, and taking out some of the seats along the top rows because of building a pathway to the suites, concessions and bathrooms. That must mean that the new upper deck and suites will add about 1000 seats. I also thought that I head either Terry or Spencer say that there are currently about 10,000 permanent seats at Zable.

One of the very early proposals that included a second deck indicated that those seats would replace temporary bleachers in the endzones. I've seen around 3,300 as the estimated capacity of a second deck which after some quick math seems about right. Since we're now keeping the endzone seating, even with losing about 1,000 seats from the west side, we have the potential to be net positive. As I mentioned in an earlier post here, the big variable will be the endzone bleachers. They can just do a few rows (like we have by the Laycock Center but without tents), or full size sections (like existed by the scoreboard until this year when the extra tent went up). They can also do three or four sections there. Bottom line is that could cause a fluctuation of a few thousand seats. Since they aren't put up until a few weeks before the season, and because the seats there are all general admission anyway, they can hold off and see demand for each season before putting them up and determining total capacity for each season.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - 62Indian - 05-20-2015 11:26 AM

(05-20-2015 08:24 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the days before Govrnment regulation of everything it was common to sell "Standing Room Only" tickets to to all knids of public events. The government started to outlaw this because of safety/fire concerns for indoor activities. The same logic has more recently been applied to outdoor events via dozens of state and Federal laws. Even thou the fire danger in a stadium is almost non-existant there is a concern about crowd panic and the speed of evacuation from a public facility.

In fact, one of the topics discussed at the informational meeting was a BIG change in the traffic patterns entering and exiting Zable Stadium. And it appears that all handicapped patron seating will be directed to the West Side with the elevator access and new and enlarged handicap seating/wheelchair access.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - Rocco - 05-20-2015 06:48 PM

(05-20-2015 08:24 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  How in the world did we ever have 15,000+ attendance in the old days?

People were smaller back then.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - Sitting bull - 05-20-2015 07:19 PM

(05-20-2015 06:48 PM)Rocco Wrote:  
(05-20-2015 08:24 AM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  How in the world did we ever have 15,000+ attendance in the old days?

The temporary end zones were much larger, both ends.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - nj alum - 05-21-2015 05:19 AM

(05-20-2015 07:19 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  

Also, the student section was packed, especially at Homecoming, as it was SRO several lines deep at the bottom, and the aisles were jammed as students and recent grads filled up the section.

Additionally, the field behind the west stands was a tremendous tailgate lot for students and alumni alike.

Finally, the home schedule included the likes of ECU, Rutgers, Delaware, Richmond, Wake, VMI, and SoCon schools.

* We were the D-1 Indians back then as well, with multiple D-1 road games per year against the likes of UVa, VPI, Navy, Pitt , etc.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - Sitting bull - 05-21-2015 05:52 AM

(05-21-2015 05:19 AM)nj alum Wrote:  
(05-20-2015 07:19 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  

Also, the student section was packed, especially at Homecoming, as it was SRO several lines deep at the bottom, and the aisles were jammed as students and recent grads filled up the section.

Additionally, the field behind the west stands was a tremendous tailgate lot for students and alumni alike.

Finally, the home schedule included the likes of ECU, Rutgers, Delaware, Richmond, Wake, VMI, and SoCon schools.

* We were the D-1 Indians back then as well, with multiple D-1 road games per year against the likes of UVa, VPI, Navy, Pitt , etc.

They were also often quite generous at times on the attendance "estimates" - as were many schools back then. W&M didn't start providing actual attendance figures until the mid 90s. UR was probably the worst offender, some of their attendance estimates were downright laughable.

In the 70s, I only recall one full sellout during my time there, and that was a homecoming game against Delaware in 1976.

Sellouts are much more common today, the smaller end zone configurations/capacity being part of that. We usually average one or two sellouts per year these days. As one of my classmates remarked at a recent homecoming, stuck outside the stadium as the game had been sold out earlier in the week, "Who knew".

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - Big Tribe - 05-21-2015 06:16 AM

There were also lots of standees on both sides of the bleachers at both ends...something, of course, that wouldn't be allowed now. Look at some of the old photographs..there is no empty space.

And the bleachers, as someone points out, were larger and, looking at old photos, people really jammed into them
to the point where movement would have been difficult.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - Tribe32 - 05-21-2015 02:31 PM

End zones were much taller. You could also bring beer into the games. A guy fell off of the top of the end zone nearest to the Alumni House one time and lived to tell about it. He should have died.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - Tribe Fan - 05-21-2015 03:50 PM

The North end zone went as high up to row EE which was taller than the archade .
I remember a game in the early '70s and a guy stationed himself up on the top row and on the PAT he caught the ball threw it down to a buddy waiting on the ground who caught the ball and hauled butt out the stadium as did the guy who caught it originally. It happened so fast and there was not much in security back then and caught everyone off guard and left many scratching their heads.

How many remember Campus police helping carry kegs into the student section back in the day ?

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - nj alum - 05-21-2015 03:59 PM

Remember the kegs ... don't remember the campus police hauling it in!

The 70's ... just a great time to be a student at W&M!

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - Big Tribe - 05-22-2015 06:44 AM

Let's not forget it was the student opposition that led to W&M rejecting a bid a bid to join the ACC in the 1970s
that President Paschall had worked out with the ACC...a deluded student protest that resonates to this day.

So all was not wonderful with the students of the 1970s!

Well, it appears they enjoyed their kegs of beer.

RE: Zable Stadium Renovation - Tribe Fan - 05-22-2015 10:20 AM

(05-22-2015 06:44 AM)Big Tribe Wrote:  Let's not forget it was the student opposition that led to W&M rejecting a bid a bid to join the ACC in the 1970s
that President Paschall had worked out with the ACC...a deluded student protest that resonates to this day.

So all was not wonderful with the students of the 1970s!

Well, it appears they enjoyed their kegs of beer.

Do not forget the rally supporting athletics on the Friday night before The Indians /Tribe went to UR and won 54-12