CSNbbs
ODU Game - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: ODU Game (/thread-719862.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

ODU Game - BigTribe - 12-20-2014 05:34 PM

We'll really have to play our best game to beat ODU Monday evening....Old Dominion has been playing very well; they play tough defense and extend out to apply pressure a great deal while improving their offense over the past couple of seasons.

The fact that it's a road game with a big ODU crowd will make it twice as hard. Even though it's the holiday break ODU will have plenty of students as they have a very large local student population.

We have to cut down our turnovers which have consistently hurt us in every game; I'm not sure we've had any game where we cut it under double figures. If Scholtman is out, as I fear he will be, Shaver is down to a seven man rotation...I imagine he'll use Tot for a few minutes but, basically, it'll be iron man stints for Thornton, Dixon, Prewitt and Tarpey.

Prewitt moved well last night and appears over the ankle injury that has plagued him almost all season (Tony noted this too on his post-game radio show). For us to win we'll need a big night from Omar that hasn't really been there yet.

RE: ODU Game - zablenoise - 12-20-2014 06:32 PM

Even though I hate ODU I love that this game will be good again after they've been down for a couple of seasons. I'll be making the trip down to Norfolk to watch for sure

RE: ODU Game - 62Indian - 12-20-2014 11:32 PM

(12-20-2014 06:32 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  Even though I hate ODU I love that this game will be good again after they've been down for a couple of seasons. I'll be making the trip down to Norfolk to watch for sure

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Personally, I thought it was good when ODU was down - but thats just me.

RE: ODU Game - zablenoise - 12-20-2014 11:36 PM

(12-20-2014 11:32 PM)62Indian Wrote:  Personally, I thought it was good when ODU was down - but thats just me.

I have a feeling that I may be saying the same thing after sitting in the Ted for a couple hours with their "wonderful" fans.

RE: ODU Game - Sitting bull - 12-21-2014 09:41 AM

I like the mini streak we have now. This rivalry though is at it's best when both teams are fielding good teams. For the few years in recent history this has been the case, those that joined the fun at the Hall can attest the fact the old lady can indeed rock.

ODU is a fun rivalry. Aside from a few, the fans from both are equally respectful. It's probably the best rivalry we have in any sport.

Strange that both ODU and VCU are offspring though the feeling for each is much different, is with me anyway. I guess it's true, parents do have favorites.

RE: ODU Game - GO_MONARKS - 12-21-2014 11:51 AM

Good luck Tribe. Hoping Thornton misses the bus...

RE: ODU Game - Big Bluezilla - 12-21-2014 01:59 PM

Word!!!!!

(12-21-2014 11:51 AM)GO_MONARKS Wrote:  Good luck Tribe. Hoping Thornton misses the bus...

Re: RE: ODU Game - Tribal - 12-21-2014 03:43 PM

(12-21-2014 11:51 AM)GO_MONARKS Wrote:  Good luck Tribe. Hoping Thornton misses the bus...

It won't matter if he misses the bus...he can hit a 44 mile three pointer. I've seen him do it.

RE: ODU Game - Sitting bull - 12-21-2014 03:47 PM

I was hoping ODU might be a little overconfident for this game.

Judging by their board, the hunch seems correct. They are broadly predicting a 14 point win.

RE: ODU Game - zablenoise - 12-21-2014 04:55 PM

(12-21-2014 03:47 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  I was hoping ODU might be a little overconfident for this game.

Judging by their board, the hunch seems correct. They are broadly predicting a 14 point win.

I hate to say it but I sorta agree with them. The Monarchs are probably a top 35 team. We'd need to put together a great game to win. Especially down in Norfolk.

RE: ODU Game - Tribal - 12-21-2014 10:01 PM

Their the same humans who actually thought Heineke would contend for the Heisman and figured they'd beat us on the court the past few games. Degenerate gamblers like Mush from "A Bronx Tale."

RE: ODU Game - Tribeheart - 12-21-2014 11:57 PM

A lot of respect for the turnaround made by Jeff Jones without yet having his full complement of recruits. I'm still not convinced ODU is as good as the early season results. Adding Stith to the coaching staff and Arledge transferring in for his last eligible year have helped, but it's the same talent as last year, with Batten gone to BC. We get waxed, then hats off to them. Otherwise, think this is as winnable a game as Richmond or High Point, except for a change we've got to have more than just one cylinder firing. Time for a road game with everyone playing to their potential. Team needs more than just a good Wofford win heading into league play. Starts with the defense....
Go Tribe!

RE: ODU Game - Sitting bull - 12-22-2014 07:10 AM

Line is ODU by 7

RE: ODU Game - ODUCoach - 12-22-2014 07:25 AM

(12-21-2014 11:57 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Adding Stith to the coaching staff and Arledge transferring in for his last eligible year have helped, but it's the same talent as last year,

Stith was here last year. Arledge has helped, but, by far, the biggest difference is that we now have Trey Freeman. He may have been here last year, but it definitely helps that he is now eligible to play. The kid is our best player and makes us way better than we were last year.

RE: ODU Game - north beach monarch - 12-22-2014 09:40 AM

(12-21-2014 11:57 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  A lot of respect for the turnaround made by Jeff Jones without yet having his full complement of recruits. I'm still not convinced ODU is as good as the early season results. Adding Stith to the coaching staff and Arledge transferring in for his last eligible year have helped, but it's the same talent as last year, with Batten gone to BC.

This is not the same team. You will be convinced after the game. JJ is a master tactician during the game and at getting players to know and understand their roles. I always felt Shaver was a better coach than BT, but now we have a real coach with a plan. Best half time adjustments I have ever seen here. JJ is a much better coach then Shaka. For comparison - our guard play is better than VCU - we have a true point guard and can now interchange 4 to 5 guards, and I think our front court is better than VCU. Ross is a beast, Taylor and Nik can defend, rebound and bang, and Arledge and Nik are bigs that can step out and hit a 3. Batten was not offered a 5th year, not place for him to play, and this is not the same team. I look for a big crowd when this Monarch team takes the court.

RE: ODU Game - Tribal - 12-22-2014 10:46 AM

So many ODU posters were calling for JJ's head not even a year ago and now he's COY. What happened during that time? Sounds like the pitchfork crew ain't as smart as they think.

I watch the ODU-GSU game on tv and was very impressed with both squads. Lots of talent and well-coached.

RE: ODU Game - north beach monarch - 12-22-2014 10:53 AM

(12-22-2014 10:46 AM)Tribal Wrote:  So many ODU posters were calling for JJ's head not even a year ago and now he's COY. What happened during that time? Sounds like the pitchfork crew ain't as smart as they think.

I watch the ODU-GSU game on tv and was very impressed with both squads. Lots of talent and well-coached.

not me, i was the one talking him up and not as many are against him since he beat VCU. I've been telling people from the start JJ will take ODU to the sweet 16

RE: ODU Game - Blue_Trombone - 12-22-2014 11:17 AM

(12-22-2014 10:46 AM)Tribal Wrote:  So many ODU posters were calling for JJ's head not even a year ago and now he's COY. What happened during that time? Sounds like the pitchfork crew ain't as smart as they think.

Well, he was coming from American University where he had a losing record of 10-20 his final season at AU. Him and Selig knew each other from their time at UVA, so a lot of Monarch fans were worried there was a buddy-buddy thing going on instead of hiring the best guy.

I mean, we were all wrong and he's a fantastic coach, but going into the season it didn't seem like Jones was the guy to revitalize a team that went 5-25 the year previous.

RE: ODU Game - ODUAlumni2015 - 12-22-2014 11:54 AM

(12-21-2014 03:43 PM)Tribal Wrote:  

It won't matter if he misses the bus...he can hit a 44 mile three pointer. I've seen him do it.

At least its Basketball, where the Tribe may have a chance for a small margin loss. Be lucky its not Football!

RE: ODU Game - hktribefan - 12-22-2014 11:57 AM

(12-22-2014 11:54 AM)ODUAlumni2015 Wrote:  
(12-21-2014 03:43 PM)Tribal Wrote:  

At least its Basketball, where the Tribe may have a chance for a small margin loss. Be lucky its not Football!

Ah yes...ODU football. Where the defense has yet to show up and you graduate the catalyst to your offense. Good luck next year where it will take a herculean effort to qualify for the chance to play in the Chuck E Cheese bowl.