CSNbbs
UMass - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: UMass (/thread-705553.html)

Pages: 1 2

UMass - Sitting bull - 09-28-2014 06:46 PM

From today's Boston Herald below.

AMHERST — There are those of us who wish the old Yankee Conference was still a living, breathing collegiate presence, and that UMass could content itself with getting good crowds for those autumn showdowns against Maine, New Hampshire and Rhody.

But you either grow or you die, I guess, and that’s why c, once a highly respected and successful Division 1-AA program, is now in its third season trying to make its way in the world of big-boy football, otherwise known as the clunky-sounding Football Bowl Subdivision.

Which brings us to yesterday’s festivities. The Minutemen played Bowling Green in the first real “home” game (in other words, not at Gillette Stadium) since 2011. The day began in fine fashion, with a packed house of 17,000 welcoming back the Minutemen to renovated and spruced-up McGuirk Stadium. The crowd . . . the atmosphere . . . the weather: It was all strikingly beautiful.

It’s just that it wasn’t as pretty a picture for UMass football fans by the end of the day. That is, it wasn’t so pretty a picture for those UMass football fans who bothered to stick around for the entire game. And that’s part of the problem here.

Apparently, the fact the stadium was only about half full after halftime is continuing to put pressure on the "why" behind the move to FBS by UMass. This is all after a full three year absence of football on campus, having to play all their games the last two seasons a full two hours away in Boston to justify a home and cost for all this.

Now it appears the base student and fans there really don't care whether they are playing Maine or Bowling Green. And in their defense, why should they? What really is the difference - and is it actually worth all this?

To make matters worse, the new video board constructed next to the scoreboard in the end zone collapsed during the game (no one hurt).

RE: UMass - Tribal - 09-28-2014 07:06 PM

I don't imagine UConn is doing much better and I have to think Villanova looked at both former "CAA" programs and said "no thanks" regarding a move to the FBS.

#RisingTribe

RE: UMass - Sitting bull - 09-28-2014 07:35 PM

(09-28-2014 07:06 PM)Tribal Wrote:  I don't imagine UConn is doing much better and I have to think Villanova looked at both former "CAA" programs and said "no thanks" regarding a move to the FBS.

#RisingTribe

Well, below is how one UConn fan described the ending last night of their game in Hartford.

"The only positive, and a I mean ONLY, was the final 5 minutes of the game in front of 500 UCONN fans and the Temple band ripping off the U.S. Men's National Team's "I Believe That We Have Won" chant........."

Different circumstances vs. UMass for sure. They are suffering more from the FBS novelty wearing off, the dissolution of Big East football and dealing with supporting a much weaker team.

Life for them in the new AAC (Temple now their closest "rival") is a lot farther away from where they started with Big East football. They won the lottery on that jump - now, with all the marquee programs gone from the northeast they will have to sell all this against Memphis, Tulsa and SMU.

UMass - hktribefan - 09-28-2014 08:05 PM

The scoreboard collapsed?!?!

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: UMass - Rocco - 09-28-2014 08:14 PM

Sucks to be them. Only going to get worse for UMass with the MAC throwing them out and the Power 5 conferences doing everything they can to wash their hands of teams not in the P5.

RE: UMass - WM_Destro - 09-28-2014 09:05 PM

Big boy football doesn't sound quite so appealing anymore for UMASS, UCONN, or even our kids down in Norfolk. Speaking of which, did anyone happen to catch the thrilling Friday night showdown between the Monarchs and MTSU?

No thanks, I'll keep in-state rivals and like schools any day.

RE: UMass - BigTribe - 09-29-2014 07:14 AM

A red ink bath for UMass that has college and alums up in arms. Wonder if they'd ever consider returning to the CAA?

It would be as a football member I imagine; doubt if they'd ever leave the A-10 as it has developed into a major basketball conference.

RE: UMass - hktribefan - 09-29-2014 08:27 AM

UMass tried to hedge bets with basketball and football. Basketball won out, and there are few cases where that works out in favor of football.

RE: UMass - tribe_pride - 09-29-2014 08:42 AM

(09-28-2014 09:05 PM)WM_Destro Wrote:  Big boy football doesn't sound quite so appealing anymore for UMASS, UCONN, or even our kids down in Norfolk. Speaking of which, did anyone happen to catch the thrilling Friday night showdown between the Monarchs and MTSU?

UConn's transition over was not all bad. they were co-Big East champs in 2007 and 2010 and went to the Fiesta Bowl in 2010. They may have lost but they have had some good times in their move up. Following that season, their coach left for UMD and that is when they went downhill but they have had their share of successes on the FBS level.

RE: UMass - Rocco - 09-29-2014 10:34 AM

(09-29-2014 08:42 AM)tribe_pride Wrote:  
(09-28-2014 09:05 PM)WM_Destro Wrote:  Big boy football doesn't sound quite so appealing anymore for UMASS, UCONN, or even our kids down in Norfolk. Speaking of which, did anyone happen to catch the thrilling Friday night showdown between the Monarchs and MTSU?

UConn's transition over was not all bad. they were co-Big East champs in 2007 and 2010 and went to the Fiesta Bowl in 2010. They may have lost but they have had some good times in their move up. Following that season, their coach left for UMD and that is when they went downhill but they have had their share of successes on the FBS level.

They were really hurt by the Big East dying and the ACC passing them up for Louisville.

RE: UMass - TribeNiner - 09-29-2014 01:16 PM

(09-29-2014 10:34 AM)Rocco Wrote:  
(09-29-2014 08:42 AM)tribe_pride Wrote:  

They were really hurt by the Big East dying and the ACC passing them up for Louisville.

Partially UConn's own fault in throwing such a fit during the first round of realignment when the ACC took several BE teams.

I'd say that ODU's move makes more sense than some other schools, though. ODU fans like football. That's not something I think you can say about UMass fans.

I also wouldn't bag on MTSU because they have great fans and a great tailgate scene. ODU will be just fine with visiting fans when they play teams like Marshall and Charlotte in their own division, and they could develop very nice rivalries with those two. The teams from the west won't travel well, but they all bring something to the conference in terms of success or eyeballs on the TV.

Is it something that I want for W&M? Probably not; but I (1) am not sure we want to spend the money to compete, (2) don't know if we'd have the support for the move, either (more like UMass), and (3) don't think we'd have the infrastructure to support large crowds, if we did get the support.

But I won't judge ODU because what is right for one school isn't right for every school. Additionally, they've gotten to play some fun football and are having fun watching their team play. Good for them. Plus, they've gotten their name out there a lot more than they did beforehand, and I'd wager that has had a positive impact on their applications and the student experience.

RE: UMass - Burgmeister - 10-04-2014 02:30 PM

Hey tribeniner, think old dominion fans are having a lot of fun yet?

RE: UMass - JHG722 - 10-05-2014 01:31 AM

(09-28-2014 07:35 PM)Sitting bull Wrote:  
(09-28-2014 07:06 PM)Tribal Wrote:  I don't imagine UConn is doing much better and I have to think Villanova looked at both former "CAA" programs and said "no thanks" regarding a move to the FBS.

#RisingTribe

Well, below is how one UConn fan described the ending last night of their game in Hartford.

"The only positive, and a I mean ONLY, was the final 5 minutes of the game in front of 500 UCONN fans and the Temple band ripping off the U.S. Men's National Team's "I Believe That We Have Won" chant........."

Different circumstances vs. UMass for sure. They are suffering more from the FBS novelty wearing off, the dissolution of Big East football and dealing with supporting a much weaker team.

Life for them in the new AAC (Temple now their closest "rival") is a lot farther away from where they started with Big East football. They won the lottery on that jump - now, with all the marquee programs gone from the northeast they will have to sell all this against Memphis, Tulsa and SMU.

We've been doing I Believe That We Have Won since well before the US National Team. We're not ripping off anything they did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09tW0freOgs

RE: UMass - tribe_pride - 10-05-2014 07:15 AM

While some only heard "I believe that We Will Win" for the first time this year, I have heard it for years at various sporting events and many are copying it now.

It started at Navy Prep and was brought to the Naval Academy which is where it started to get famous. Here is background on it http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/dirty-tackle/the-improbable-story-of-how-the-trendiest-chant-in-sports-began-040228934.html;_ylt=A0LEV2HSNDFUHT0Aiw5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0aGZjOGNnBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMTIEY29sbwNiZjEEdnRpZANTTUUzOTlfMQ--

RE: UMass - Sitting bull - 10-05-2014 08:28 AM

(10-05-2014 07:15 AM)tribe_pride Wrote:  While some only heard "I believe that We Will Win" for the first time this year, I have heard it for years at various sporting events and many are copying it now.

It started at Navy Prep and was brought to the Naval Academy which is where it started to get famous. Here is background on it http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/dirty-tackle/the-improbable-story-of-how-the-trendiest-chant-in-sports-began-040228934.html;_ylt=A0LEV2HSNDFUHT0Aiw5XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTE0aGZjOGNnBHNlYwNzcgRwb3MDMTIEY29sbwNiZjEEdnRpZANTTUUzOTlfMQ--

I first heard this at the 2012 Tribe/Lafayette game by W&M students before kickoff.

RE: UMass - 62Indian - 10-05-2014 09:47 AM

(10-05-2014 07:15 AM)tribe_pride Wrote:  While some only heard "I believe that We Will Win" for the first time this year, I have heard it for years at various sporting events and many are copying it now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
What a great story - thanks for posting TP

RE: UMass - JHG722 - 10-05-2014 12:04 PM

Except ours is different. Many programs do 'I Believe that We Will Win' and many do it before the game. We do our variation at the end of the game when victory is certain.

RE: UMass - Sitting bull - 10-05-2014 01:41 PM

(10-05-2014 12:04 PM)JHG722 Wrote:  

Except ours is different. Many programs do 'I Believe that We Will Win' and many do it before the game. We do our variation at the end of the game when victory is certain.

Ok, that would explain why we have never heard that version.

RE: UMass - tribe_pride - 10-05-2014 03:23 PM

Yeah but it is all based off of the Navy version. I was just explaining the background behind where all of these are from.

RE: UMass - JHG722 - 10-05-2014 04:44 PM

(10-05-2014 03:23 PM)tribe_pride Wrote:  Yeah but it is all based off of the Navy version. I was just explaining the background behind where all of these are from.

Yeah, I'm just saying it was stupid of that fan to say we ripped off the US National Team. We started doing it when I was at Temple.