CSNbbs
Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? (/thread-697360.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - msm96wolf - 08-05-2014 02:25 PM

I love college football and love looking at different teams schedules. I know there is a lot of talk about Marshall possibly going undefeated getting the G5 spot. I know from reading the AAC boards, those fans already think they have the spot. However, I was looking at ULL schedule, if they went undefeated I truly think they would have a strong case even if Marshall went undefeated. ULL plays Ole Miss and Boise St in their OOC.

Just curious, what are you all thoughts about this? How good is ULL? Personally, I would love to see the Sun Belt get this slot, I think it would be the Cinderella story of the year.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - ark30inf - 08-05-2014 02:27 PM

They have as good a shot as any other G5 team.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - HeartOfDixie - 08-05-2014 02:29 PM

I would be very surprised. They will have to beat Ole Miss, in my opinion, in order to garner enough respect to get their name in the ring.

Unfortunately, we've never beaten an SEC team and Ole Miss is a lot better than it was a few years ago.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - AstroCajun - 08-05-2014 02:30 PM

(08-05-2014 02:25 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I love college football and love looking at different teams schedules. I know there is a lot of talk about Marshall possibly going undefeated getting the G5 spot. I know from reading the AAC boards, those fans already think they have the spot. However, I was looking at ULL schedule, if they went undefeated I truly think they would have a strong case even if Marshall went undefeated. ULL plays Ole Miss and Boise St in their OOC.

Just curious, what are you all thoughts about this? How good is ULL? Personally, I would love to see the Sun Belt get this slot, I think it would be the Cinderella story of the year.

Thanks for the kind words.

I think we have two major impediments to the access bowl independent of Marshall and what it does.

1. We play Ole Miss and Boise St. in back to back road games.
2. Conference isn't the cakewalk that Marshall has and we'll be getting everyone's best shot.

I think there's a good shot we win the conference outright but I'm not getting my hopes up for the access bowl.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - Fanof49ASU - 08-05-2014 02:33 PM

Marshall has the easiest road.....by FAR!

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - MTPiKapp - 08-05-2014 02:46 PM

(08-05-2014 02:30 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 02:25 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I love college football and love looking at different teams schedules. I know there is a lot of talk about Marshall possibly going undefeated getting the G5 spot. I know from reading the AAC boards, those fans already think they have the spot. However, I was looking at ULL schedule, if they went undefeated I truly think they would have a strong case even if Marshall went undefeated. ULL plays Ole Miss and Boise St in their OOC.

I think we have two major impediments to the access bowl independent of Marshall and what it does.

2. Conference isn't the cakewalk that Marshall has and we'll be getting everyone's best shot.

I think there's a good shot we win the conference outright but I'm not getting my hopes up for the access bowl.

It's OOC where Marshall has the comparitive cakewalk, but way to attempt to slip a dig in.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - Ole Sleepy - 08-05-2014 02:52 PM

I'm pulling for Louisiana or stAte to go undefeated this year and get that last spot. Hell, while we are shooting for the stars, I hope one of the two shock the world and slip into that last CFP slot.

Talk about instant respect for the Belt!

So, when we finally get to play the best, we can, hands down, be the best again.

Le'go SBC!

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - trueeagle98 - 08-05-2014 02:55 PM

Sorry, but their conference schedule isn't that bad (meaning not that tough :) ). No more so than ULL or any SBC schedule. I still don't see the TurdHerd going undefeated. My prediction is that they finish 11-2 (1OOC loss, 1CUSA loss) then win the champ game or maybe the are lose one regular season game and then lose the champ game (would give the anti champ game folks more proof that it hurts more than helps).

Really pulling for Cajuns to finish undefeated. Kill 2 birds, get a ranked SBC team and most likely a spot in the contract bowl.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - Georgia_Power_Company - 08-05-2014 03:00 PM

(08-05-2014 02:46 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  

It's OOC where Marshall has the cakewalk, but way to attempt to slip a dig in.

Marshall, Ball St, N. Illinois have an easier path than ULL. Bowling Green may also be a dark horse in the race. UCF or Cincinnati may be able to pull if off but with the schedule they have it will be a lot harder.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - MTPiKapp - 08-05-2014 03:03 PM

(08-05-2014 02:55 PM)trueeagle98 Wrote:  Sorry, but their conference schedule isn't that bad (meaning not that tough :) ). No more so than ULL or any SBC schedule. I still don't see the TurdHerd going undefeated. My prediction is that they finish 11-2 (1OOC loss, 1CUSA loss) then win the champ game or maybe the are lose one regular season game and then lose the champ game (would give the anti champ game folks more proof that it hurts more than helps).

Really pulling for Cajuns to finish undefeated. Kill 2 birds, get a ranked SBC team and most likely a spot in the contract bowl.

I didn't say Marshall had a tough conference schedule, just think it's funny to suggest that it's just their conference schedule that has them in play for the access bowl.

On paper both schoolsshould be favored in all conference games, the difference is Marshall should be favored in all twelve games due to a very weak OOC, the same cannot be said for Louisiana.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - DoubleAggie - 08-05-2014 03:03 PM

Boise is a very difficult place to play, but more power to the Cajuns.
Go in with a chip on your shoulders.

So, here's the game theory question:

Say ULL goes all the way to the last game undefeated and a lock for a lucrative appearance.
Players, fans, and alums will want Troy to knock them off.

ADs, presidents, and all the other schools will want the Cajuns to bring home the bacon.

Do the Trojans honor the spirit of competition?
Or do they enrich the league's athletic departments by a few percent?

Fortunately the Aggies will have beaten the Cajuns earlier in the season,
so Troy will be spared this moral conundrum, but just askin'.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - UofMemphis - 08-05-2014 03:10 PM

(08-05-2014 02:33 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  Marshall has the easiest road.....by FAR!

I think an 11-1 Houston would get in over a 13-0 Marshall...SOS matters to the committee.

Houston has a pretty easy schedule...but they still have BYU, UCF, and Cincy.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - GeauxUL - 08-05-2014 03:14 PM

(08-05-2014 02:46 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  

It's OOC where Marshall has the comparitive cakewalk, but way to attempt to slip a dig in.

This is correct, we have a pretty easy conference schedule this year...

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - Niner National - 08-05-2014 03:16 PM

(08-05-2014 02:33 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  Marshall has the easiest road.....by FAR!

Yep. I think Marshall could get skipped over by several 1 loss teams though. Their schedule is really weak unless CUSA turns out to be a lot stronger than people are expecting.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - Cnelson203 - 08-05-2014 03:17 PM

If ULL wins their two opening ROAD games and then loses 1 game in conference ending at 11-1, they will trump a 12-1 Marshall, imo, even without a CCG. ULL is a classy team that folks will need to watch. And the two P5 wins would be game changers in the calculus on who ranks higher. ULL is capable of doing this but wins at Ole Miss and Boise State are going to be tough ones to come by.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - AstroCajun - 08-05-2014 03:19 PM

(08-05-2014 03:03 PM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  Boise is a very difficult place to play, but more power to the Cajuns.
Go in with a chip on your shoulders.

So, here's the game theory question:

Say ULL goes all the way to the last game undefeated and a lock for a lucrative appearance.
Players, fans, and alums will want Troy to knock them off.

ADs, presidents, and all the other schools will want the Cajuns to bring home the bacon.

Do the Trojans honor the spirit of competition?
Or do they enrich the league's athletic departments by a few percent?

Fortunately the Aggies will have beaten the Cajuns earlier in the season,
so Troy will be spared this moral conundrum, but just askin'.

I'd expect Troy's best shot and be disappointed if they rolled over.

If the tables were turned I'd want the Cajuns to knock them off especially if losing costs us a bowl.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - ark30inf - 08-05-2014 03:26 PM

I hope A-State wins the conference. This answers any scenario.

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - WhitetailWizard - 08-05-2014 03:42 PM

(08-05-2014 03:26 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  I hope A-State wins the conference. This answers any scenario.

Ole Miss will beat ULL 3 TDs+

Other than that keeping Broadway healthy will be paramount to win the Sun Belt.

stAte/Troy do not have a better 22 but may very well a better 2 deep imo.USA is a wild card as nobody played more erratically week to week last year.

Hears to a healthy season to us all 04-cheers

RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - TheRevSWT - 08-05-2014 03:52 PM

(08-05-2014 02:27 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  They have as good a shot as any other G5 team.

I think they have a better shot, in part because of their performance last year which puts them on the cusp of being ranked.

Sadly, it's tough to go from spot 80-90 to top 25 (and therefore into the access bowl).

Every week this season except one, I'm a Cajun fan. Unless, you know, they crap the bed early... Then I shift to the next team that has the best chance.

Re: RE: Could ULL be the G5 Access Bowl Sleeper? - ark30inf - 08-05-2014 03:55 PM

(08-05-2014 03:52 PM)TheRevSWT Wrote:  
(08-05-2014 02:27 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  They have as good a shot as any other G5 team.

I think they have a better shot, in part because of their performance last year which puts them on the cusp of being ranked.

Sadly, it's tough to go from spot 80-90 to top 25 (and therefore into the access bowl).

Every week this season except one, I'm a Cajun fan. Unless, you know, they crap the bed early... Then I shift to the next team that has the best chance.
If we are out of the conference race then I can start rooting for them in every game except one. Until then I can't cry over a conference loss for them.

Just bein' honest.