CSNbbs
NMSU AD on the hot seat. - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: NMSU AD on the hot seat. (/thread-693666.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

NMSU AD on the hot seat. - NMSUPistolPete - 06-29-2014 12:54 AM

Not many Aggie fans have been happy with Boston's job.

NMSU athletics director fails to meet some contract metrics, future uncertain

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - GoApps70 - 06-29-2014 02:00 AM

On the metrics for attendance to NMSU football games, Carruthers confirmed that the NMSU Foundation purchased season tickets to meet the requirement of 15,000 fans per game. Average attendance requirements in men's basketball (7,000), volleyball (1,300) and women's basketball (1,000) were not met.

Boston said he hoped a 2013 independent football schedule with quality competition visiting Las Cruces, as well as men's basketball having gone to three consecutive NCAA Tournaments would increase attendance numbers, although neither did.

Personally would give the reins to Associate Athletics Director Steve Macy, been there seen what is going on and younger fresh ideas. However I do not know any of them.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - AppManDG - 06-29-2014 07:48 AM

Regardless of how good the schedule is when you win 4 home football games in 3 years it is hard to put butts in the seats. Especially when 3 of those wins were against a D-II team and Idaho twice.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - chiefsfan - 06-29-2014 08:11 AM

I guess you could sort of blame a losing program on the AD if he hasn't done anything to make the program winning.

Its great to have good opponents coming in...if you win the games.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - arkstfan - 06-29-2014 09:24 AM

The program has the cloud of being one of two WAC schools not invited to the MWC party, has the demoralizing indy situation followed by the Sun Belt declining to give an all-sports invite while the WAC is a completely different league. This year NMSU will be the only school still in the WAC that was a member in 2011.

That's a hard situation to sell to fans.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - DoubleAggie - 06-29-2014 09:53 AM

(06-29-2014 09:24 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  The program has the cloud of being one of two WAC schools not invited to the MWC party, has the demoralizing indy situation followed by the Sun Belt declining to give an all-sports invite while the WAC is a completely different league. This year NMSU will be the only school still in the WAC that was a member in 2011.

That's a hard situation to sell to fans.

Should probably throw out 2013 as a comparison because of the indy status.

But the issue is also part of a bigger problem: students everywhere are less and less football fans.

And like any other demographic trend, when entrants decline, so too does the eventual population.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - CrimsonPhantom - 06-29-2014 11:46 AM

One of the things that Boston did after his first year was raise ticket prices drastically and re-arrange the seating charts for Football and basketball. That drove people away and made students mad. In an attempt to drive people to expensive seats in basketball he covered the cheap seats with tarp like garbage bags and said they were unavailable. Fan interest was on the rise before his arrival, it has declined under his leadership. The community just doesn't like him

Yes there have been many presidents since he has been at NMSU. But after the president who hired him left, he seemed to become the kid at the back of the classroom, flying under the radar trying not to get noticed and doing as little as possible.

The previous president took away the handling of conference realignment from him. Many have thought she was being a control freak, now many are wondering if she had no faith in his capabilities.

He was put on a one year extension last year. As long as he is under the microscope like he was this past year and on a year to year contract he is not going to do anything for our school.

Our new president has brought in a lot of donations to our university in his first year. $1.875 Million was for athletics that he went out and got. Not our AD. He has never brought in anything money related. With the way things work he will probably get another years extension and then retire next summer with a a great retirement package.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - GoApps70 - 06-29-2014 12:14 PM

If NMSU is not even getting 15,000 per game football attendance they have a real problem.
Especially with such a good home independent program as they had last year.
Have to ask, do not want anyone to consider it a racist question, does NMSU have
a high Hispanic student population and/or alums? Are they more into soccer?

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - Rik Flair - 06-29-2014 12:15 PM

NMSU is in a tough spot. I doubt any of your fans are really excited about being a football member of the Sun Belt. A Sunbelt conference schedule is not going to bring out more fans. They just know its better to be in any conference instead of being independent. The MWC is the only true salvation. I'm not slamming NMSU or the conference, just being honest. Sun Belt members are happy to have NMSU . . . (in lieu of the other options like Liberty). Be interesting to see what happens if Missouri State and James Madison are ready or seek a SBC invitation. It may be goodbye to NMSU and Idaho,

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - DoubleAggie - 06-29-2014 12:25 PM

[quote='GoApps70' pid='10869716' dateline='140Are they more into soccer?
[/quote]

I'm kinda wondering if soccer won't increase as all schools have increasingly international student bodies.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - GoApps70 - 06-29-2014 12:39 PM

(06-29-2014 12:25 PM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  [quote='GoApps70' pid='10869716' dateline='140Are they more into soccer?

I'm kinda wondering if soccer won't increase as all schools have increasingly international student bodies.
[/quote]

Probably some, but we have heard literally for decades how soccer is going to become a huge deal in the US and it hasn't compared to what they kept saying.
By the way, did NMSU join the Sun Belt Soccer we started? Don't think they did. Was it because of travel?

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - CrimsonPhantom - 06-29-2014 12:40 PM

(06-29-2014 12:14 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  If NMSU is not even getting 15,000 per game football attendance they have a real problem.
Have to ask, do not want anyone to consider it a racist question, does NMSU have

From my perspective it is a diverse student pop and alum pop. The LC community/NMSU Alums like winning, who doesn't? They are very supportive of two of the local high schools, one or both are generally in the State Football Championship yearly. I think many would come out if NMSU was winning. I also feel many are not coming out because Boston is our AD. Also fan amenities are very lacking and upgrades are really needed for just the concession stand and the bathrooms.

When we joined the WAC our Basketball arena was being renovated. Players could not use the tunnels to get onto the floor, so they had to go through the student section to get on and off the court. You can imagine what was said to opposing teams players as they went through the student section. WAC Ad's complained, which led to Boston coming down hard on the students and basically not allowing them to yell anything at opposing teams, even during the games. This translated across to other athletic events for students too. This practice continued years after players stopped going through the student section to get to the court.

The last few years the students have become organized in what they do and the Athletic department has backed off some. I just hope it continues and more students show up to games. All athletic events are free to every student.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - GoApps70 - 06-29-2014 12:43 PM

(06-29-2014 12:15 PM)Rik Flair Wrote:  NMSU is in a tough spot. I doubt any of your fans are really excited about being a football member of the Sun Belt. A Sunbelt conference schedule is not going to bring out more fans. They just know its better to be in any conference instead of being independent. The MWC is the only true salvation. I'm not slamming NMSU or the conference, just being honest. Sun Belt members are happy to have NMSU . . . (in lieu of the other options like Liberty). Be interesting to see what happens if Missouri State and James Madison are ready or seek a SBC invitation. It may be goodbye to NMSU and Idaho,

Cannot speak for others, but I'm stoked to see the Sun Belt teams. It sounds like you are saying NMSU fans really doesn't want to be in the Sun Belt for football.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - GoApps70 - 06-29-2014 12:48 PM

(06-29-2014 12:40 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 12:14 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  If NMSU is not even getting 15,000 per game football attendance they have a real problem.

From my perspective it is a diverse student pop and alum pop. The LC community/NMSU Alums like winning, who doesn't? They are very supportive of two of the local high schools, one or both are generally in the State Football Championship yearly. I think many would come out if NMSU was winning. I also feel many are not coming out because Boston is our AD. Also fan amenities are very lacking and upgrades are really needed for just the concession stand and the bathrooms.

When we joined the WAC our Basketball arena was being renovated. Players could not use the tunnels to get onto the floor, so they had to go through the student section to get on and off the court. You can imagine what was said to opposing teams players as they went through the student section. WAC Ad's complained, which led to Boston coming down hard on the students and basically not allowing them to yell anything at opposing teams, even during the games. This translated across to other athletic events for students too. This practice continued years after players stopped going through the student section to get to the court.

The last few years the students have become organized in what they do and the Athletic department has backed off some. I just hope it continues and more students show up to games. All athletic events are free to every student.

Do the NMSU students not pay any student fees?
If they do wouldn't that mean they are subsidizing the athletic programs, and are actually paying for the right to sit at a game?

Being an outsider, may be totally wrong, but sounds like Boston is just trying to hang onto a job till retirement. Would think the president and/or BOV would make a change.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - DoubleAggie - 06-29-2014 12:50 PM

(06-29-2014 12:15 PM)Rik Flair Wrote:  NMSU is in a tough spot. I doubt any of your fans are really excited about being a football member of the Sun Belt. A Sunbelt conference schedule is not going to bring out more fans. They just know its better to be in any conference instead of being independent. The MWC is the only true salvation. I'm not slamming NMSU or the conference, just being honest. Sun Belt members are happy to have NMSU . . . (in lieu of the other options like Liberty). Be interesting to see what happens if Missouri State and James Madison are ready or seek a SBC invitation. It may be goodbye to NMSU and Idaho,

I can't speak for all, but I do recall NMSU's previous engagement with the SunBelt - NMSU's best all time attendance numbers come from that period!

There were some close and interesting games from that time.

A lot was a rivalry of sorts with North Texas, with whom we shared some ancient history.

But I still recall the games against ASU and the Louisiana pardners'
(in fact, last year's game in Louisiana was kinda interesting ).

And of course, as an independent, a Bowl game is all but impossible for a mid-major. Now, even if remote, there is hope for a good conference showing and a bowl bid. That statement shouldn't be construed at all as indicating that a bowl bid is likely, but it is at least possible.

Looking forward to SunBelt association starting in two days.

Is it kickoff time yet?

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - CajunFanatico - 06-29-2014 02:14 PM

That's not a racist question at all. It's a perfectly logical one to ask under the circumstances. Alternately, how is UTEP's football attendance?

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - CrimsonPhantom - 06-29-2014 02:15 PM

(06-29-2014 12:48 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  
(06-29-2014 12:40 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

Do the NMSU students not pay any student fees?
If they do wouldn't that mean they are subsidizing the athletic programs, and are actually paying for the right to sit at a game?

Being an outsider, may be totally wrong, but sounds like Boston is just trying to hang onto a job till retirement. Would think the president and/or BOV would make a change.
They do pay fees. When I was there it use to be you had to have 12 credit hrs per semester to attend the games for free. Now it is 1.

Many fans have felt that Boston has just been hanging on till retirement. Like I said before he was active when he first got to NMSU and then when the prez left that hired him he seemed to just go along with the Interim presidents and new presidents to just keep his job.

In the article Boston sites loosing the assistant AD for fundraising effecting his capabilities. Well the guy never did well fundraising wise and was probably not scrutinized by Boston at all. The replacement for fundraising has worked with the Alumni Association on athletics behalf and is married to one of our former basketball coaches (Lou Henson's) daughter. The Deputy AD was a local business man and he has been doing things well. Some think he maybe Bostons replacement.

Boston has really had 3 things to do this last year, keep the APR good (which he did), make public appearances and fund raise. Boston has not had to fund raise until this last year. He has not done well at it.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - GoApps70 - 06-29-2014 02:32 PM

Not so sure they would give it to McCollum, or whatever his name is.
Didn't Steve Macy go with the NMSU president when they met with Georgia
Southern president in Atlanta and try to help each other get into the Sun Belt conference, at
the expense of App State would think. So he must have something going
for him.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - CrimsonPhantom - 06-29-2014 02:38 PM

(06-29-2014 02:32 PM)GoApps70 Wrote:  Not so sure they would give it to McCollum, or whatever his name is.
Didn't Steve Macy go with the NMSU president when they met with Georgia
Southern and try to help each other get into the Sun Belt conference, at
the expense of App State would think. So he must have something going
for him.

That was before the current president. Macey is suppose to be doing marketing, however he doesn't do it very well. Last years marketing to get people to come to FB games was posting images from movies on Facebook and Twitter saying get your Aggie FB season Tickets and listing who they would be playing. Other then radio ads that was it pretty much to market the season. After the Deputy AD got there they did way more marketing for MBB, because he is Macey's boss now.

Boston has let his associate Ad's do what they want with little oversight.

RE: NMSU AD on the hot seat. - TOPSTRAIGHT - 06-29-2014 02:52 PM

Sounds like new leadership is needed--NOW-before things are beyond repair! IMHO someone with ties but has been successful at other schools.Good luck to NMSU in the future!