CSNbbs
Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame (/thread-690155.html)

Pages: 1 2

Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - sixtoes9134 - 05-22-2014 12:41 PM

Well deserved for Coach Moore.

http://www.appstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=209504260

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - NCeagle - 05-22-2014 01:11 PM

congrats to him. He was a great coach and a great guy. happy for him

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - Georgia_Power_Company - 05-22-2014 01:23 PM

(05-22-2014 01:11 PM)NCeagle Wrote:  congrats to him. He was a great coach and a great guy. happy for him

Congrats to Jerry Moore and to the App Nation!

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - Ole Sleepy - 05-22-2014 01:27 PM

He deserves it.

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - NCeagle - 05-22-2014 01:37 PM

you know a coach is a good guy when the first three responses to a thread like this are from an arch rival. haha.

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - GoApps70 - 05-22-2014 05:43 PM

Jerry Moore is one of a kind.

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - Campaign4Liberty - 05-22-2014 05:57 PM

My favorite ASU moment. I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when App State beat Michigan. This is priceless. Upset number 5 Michigan...tear down goalpost...transport it to Chancellor's front yard. Too epic for words really.

Can you imagine if you were driving one of those cars in the first part of the video? Could they ever have imagined a goal post coming down the street and going over top of their cars??? Would you be more concerned for your car or just say screw it, we beat Michigan? Too epic either way. Congrats to Coach Moore and ASU!!!

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - TroyFootball05 - 05-22-2014 06:07 PM

(05-22-2014 05:57 PM)Campaign4Liberty Wrote:  My favorite ASU moment. I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when App State beat Michigan.

I thought the announcers did a masterful job. "Dexter Jackson runs away from the Michigan Defense!"

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - AppfanInCAAland - 05-22-2014 06:34 PM

Congrats to Coach Moore, well deserved.

Since this is about the coach, my favorite quote from Coach about that game was when in the post game interview, he told the lady from BTN something like "we have to get home and get ready, we've got Lenior-Rhyne coming to our place next week". The media thought that was funny, but that was Coach Moore.

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - AppfanInCAAland - 05-22-2014 06:36 PM

(05-22-2014 06:07 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 05:57 PM)Campaign4Liberty Wrote:  My favorite ASU moment. I'll always remember where I was and what I was doing when App State beat Michigan.

I thought the announcers did a masterful job. "Dexter Jackson runs away from the Michigan Defense!"

No one can top his dad Marty*, but Thom Brenneman isn't bad.

*except maybe Vin Scully

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - FoUTASportscaster - 05-22-2014 07:22 PM

UTA built an on-campus stadium that opened in time for the 1980 season. That year, the Mavericks opened against the Jerry Moore-coached North Texas State Mean Green. Moore is the first coach to win a game at Maverick Stadium.

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - Eagle's Cliff - 05-22-2014 08:35 PM

Well deserved honor for Coach Moore. I remember fans calling for Jerry's head in 2004 when he got trounced 54-7 in Statesboro and went 6-5 on the season. Jerry then reeled off three NC's and the win at the Big House and App fans came out of the woodwork in droves to support the school financially and in attendance.

Jerry deserves a lot of the credit for App's success over the past decade.

Sorry, but one of the criteria for membership is being a coach for 10 years. Erk Russell only coached for 8, but built a team from scratch to compile an 83-22-1 record (.78774) including 3 National Championships, 1 NC Runner-up, and a 15-0 season which was a first in D1 at the time. The team he left for his successor won a NC the following year as well. To leave him out, in my mind, degrades this HOF. Erk would be 31st (out of 203 plus this year) on the list in win percentage. Exceptions were made for guys from the early days of college football, but NO ONE has done or will do what Erk Russell did. That's to say nothing about the fact that he left the 1980 NC Georgia Bulldogs to start the program at Southern.

Congrats to Jerry, end of rant03-banghead

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - appsfan - 05-22-2014 08:49 PM

You make a good case for Erk. Anyway, congratulations to Coach Moore!

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - GoApps70 - 05-23-2014 02:19 AM

Wonder which will be thought of in the same way in the
future, Herr Fritz or SS.

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - ASUMountaineer - 05-23-2014 12:19 PM

(05-22-2014 06:34 PM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  Congrats to Coach Moore, well deserved.

Since this is about the coach, my favorite quote from Coach about that game was when in the post game interview, he told the lady from BTN something like "we have to get home and get ready, we've got Lenior-Rhyne coming to our place next week". The media thought that was funny, but that was Coach Moore.

That made it into the Sports Illustrated issue with DJ on the front. It was in their, "they said it (IIRC)" feature.

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - ASUMountaineer - 05-23-2014 12:21 PM

(05-22-2014 07:22 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  UTA built an on-campus stadium that opened in time for the 1980 season. That year, the Mavericks opened against the Jerry Moore-coached North Texas State Mean Green. Moore is the first coach to win a game at Maverick Stadium.

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - MG61 - 05-23-2014 02:03 PM

(05-22-2014 07:22 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  UTA built an on-campus stadium that opened in time for the 1980 season. That year, the Mavericks opened against the Jerry Moore-coached North Texas State Mean Green. Moore is the first coach to win a game at Maverick Stadium.

Moore coached at North Texas 2 years (1979-1980) and then was the HC at Texas Tech for 5 years. Very happy for the recognition that coach Moore is receiving.07-coffee3

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - gsu95 - 05-23-2014 03:59 PM

Ah, I remember being up at an Appalachian State game about 2000 (I think, it all tends to run together after awhile) and for a while sitting next to a Mountaineer fan who was fairly critical of the ASU program for its inability to get over the hump and win it all. That was obviously before the three-peat and the win over Michigan.

All that to say Moore, who started out .500 and had a losing record at Texas Tech, is probably is one of the last of his kind because expectations most fans have changed. We don't give coaches time to figure it out anymore. If they don't win immediately -- or as close to immediately as three years will bring -- they're gone.

Except maybe that dickhead Lane Kiffen.

Congrats to Moore. Well deserved.

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - gsu95 - 05-23-2014 04:01 PM

(05-22-2014 08:35 PM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  Well deserved honor for Coach Moore. I remember fans calling for Jerry's head in 2004 when he got trounced 54-7 in Statesboro and went 6-5 on the season. Jerry then reeled off three NC's and the win at the Big House and App fans came out of the woodwork in droves to support the school financially and in attendance.

Sorry, but one of the criteria for membership is being a coach for 10 years. Erk Russell only coached for 8, but built a team from scratch to compile an 83-22-1 record (.78774) including 3 National Championships, 1 NC Runner-up, and a 15-0 season which was a first in D1 at the time. The team he left for his successor won a NC the following year as well. To leave him out, in my mind, degrades this HOF. Erk would be 31st (out of 203 plus this year) on the list in win percentage. Exceptions were made for guys from the early days of college football, but NO ONE has done or will do what Erk Russell did. That's to say nothing about the fact that he left the 1980 NC Georgia Bulldogs to start the program at Southern.

Rant on. Oh, and I have a feeling there's a good chance Erk will get in and that may happen sooner rather than later.

RE: Jerry Moore to College Football Hall of Fame - AppinVA - 05-23-2014 05:43 PM

(05-23-2014 04:01 PM)gsu95 Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 08:35 PM)Eagles Cliff Wrote:  Well deserved honor for Coach Moore. I remember fans calling for Jerry's head in 2004 when he got trounced 54-7 in Statesboro and went 6-5 on the season. Jerry then reeled off three NC's and the win at the Big House and App fans came out of the woodwork in droves to support the school financially and in attendance.

Rant on. Oh, and I have a feeling there's a good chance Erk will get in and that may happen sooner rather than later.

He needs to be in. And I'm happy for Coach Moore.