CSNbbs
Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience (/thread-690115.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - panama - 05-22-2014 06:25 AM

Saw this as a topic on another board and thought it may be a nice offseason topic. I'll start.

The more I think about it, it should be whatever pops in your head immediately.

Best: @Alabama in 2010. It was our first season and the whole season was like a dream. It was the final game and televised on ESPNU on a Thursday night. Fans were for the most part great. There were a lot of hugs and tears with people who worked on getting football for 10 plus years.

Honorable Mention: @Jacksonville State. Best fans and friendliest college town around.

Worst: @SC State. Fans sucked. Ruse and non-welcoming. One old guy was running his mouth even as a player was carried off. And Orangeburg sucked.

Posted from my BlackBerry Z10 using the CSNbbs app

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Saint3333 - 05-22-2014 07:14 AM

Best - Michigan, Montana, and UNI, all had great fans before, during, and after the games.

Worst - Delaware and GSU, UD fans are annoying in a Philly sort of way and Statesboro with the gnats just isn't fun to visit.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Georgia_Power_Company - 05-22-2014 07:30 AM

Best - Navy; loved the prompt and pageantry of a Military Academy game. (Honorable mention; Florida but that was mostly because we won!)

Worst - Delaware; just too damned cold plus the fans were rude.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - trueeagle98 - 05-22-2014 07:53 AM

Best: GS @ Bama. Great time at the hotel with family/friends and other Eagle fans (free booze night before the game 04-cheers ). Great tailgate and game. Kept it really close until the very end. Overall the bama fans were nice and gave us respect.

Worst Overall: USC Gamecocks. Went there with family to watch a game. Worst tailgating and game experience ever. Hotel sucked too.

Worst GS away game: UGA is up there, but thats mainly due to a few bad fans and I've always had to sit in the upper deck in 100*F heat and watch my team lose to those overrated pups.

Honorable mention: GS vs UF. Just a great experience and a lot of fun (winning helped a lot). GS vs Colorado St. was a fun trip too.

Worst atmosphere: Wofford. If it weren't for GS fans the place would be empty.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - DrGonzo - 05-22-2014 08:24 AM

Best:
VA Tech - impressive gameday. Fans were very nice and hospitable before and after.

GaSo - I'll probably be the only App fan to say this. I was treated like a king by some anygivensaturday.com guys. I didn't experience any of the stuff I've heard other App fans describe.

Worst:
Wofford - High school atmosphere in every way, including the high school band that plays. There was one portajon for the entire tailgating area. ONE PORTAJON! Two of my friends were confronted by an old woman who was upwards of 80. She asked them if they were App fans and proceeded to cuss them out when they said yes. They were so shocked they just told her to enjoy the game and walked away.

UT Chattanooga - Whiney fan base. I was in college for my only visit to their stadium. We had an App flag which I was carrying out after the game. It was rolled up. Some kid grabbed it and ran off. I had to chase him down and tackle him to get it back.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - appfan89 - 05-22-2014 08:32 AM

Best will definitely be the Michigan game. Great tailgating, the fans were great, except when they kept asking, "Where is Boone?"

Worst will be the ECU game in 2012. It was so hot and humid and absolutely miserable.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - BurlingtonApp - 05-22-2014 08:57 AM

Best:

1) ECU- Even though the last time we went was brutally hot (I think it was around 300 people getting medical attention) I always love my trips down to Greenville for games. Great, grounded fans, great tailgating, great atmosphere, and a lot of respect between our programs.

2) UGA- I know a lot of GSU fans will hate this, but I thought Athens was a great time. Great atmosphere when the game was tight, and downtown was fun. Only downside were some obnoxious "Daaawg" fans in the upper deck where they put us. Pretty condescending folks.

Worst:

1) UNC- Though they refuse to schedule App for whatever reason, I've been to a few games there over the years. Weak tailgating, terrible parking, half empty, cramped, and one of the worst atmospheres in BCS football (doesn't come close to NCSU, ECU, or App). However, the campus and women are gorgeous, and Franklin Street is fun.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - JMU2004 - 05-22-2014 09:17 AM

App St. was the pinnacle in FCS. I'm sure Montana is right there as well.

UNC sucked. I didn't think I was at an FBS game, the concessions were horrible (just wanted water, it was 95+ and UNC sticks you in the corner of full sun). Oh yeah, the seats are designed of chimps.

Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Hemi Man - 05-22-2014 09:44 AM

The Best

Clemson - It's a real college town. Great atmosphere in and around the stadium. I would love to see Troy university and town model itself after Clemson.

Navy - A trip I recommend to everyone. There are some many things to see at a Navy game that stand out.

Ole Miss - The Grove, the atmosphere, traditions inside the stadium, along with some unique amenities makes that place a must see.

UL- I wish I could video what they do Pregame and give a course too all Troy fans. You will never go hungry or thirsty outside their stadium. I've been handed beers by rowdy college kids there and told to drink up. Pretty cools group. Inside they get after you like fans should. They get all aspects of being fans.

The Worst

South Carolina,- Just Boring. Maybe because I wasn't in a Caboose.

Florida and Georgia - Nothing really special there either.

Ohio St - The largest collection of ugly women in the world hands down. Fans weren't rude, but they weren't nice either.

FAU - Dump of a stadium at Lockhart. New stadium is an erector set. No one showed up to either place. The few that did were horrible. Vulgar, name calling, and wanting to fight. Mostly from females.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - YouCanUseaMint - 05-22-2014 10:05 AM

While I didn't have a bad time per se, Texas Tech was my least favorite due to the drive, hostile fans, and dust storms that visited throughout the game

Southern Miss fans were great for the most part, a few bad apples... town didn't have much to offer

Houston was by far my favorite.... alcohol sales in the stadium, sold out, we won one of the two games I attended, tailgating was outstanding... no complaints whatsoever (outside of the neighborhood)

I usually only attend one out of state game a year and try to catch all Texas games... this year, we'll be visiting Tulsa

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - panama - 05-22-2014 10:09 AM

(05-22-2014 10:05 AM)YouCanUseaMint Wrote:  While I didn't have a bad time per se, Texas Tech was my least favorite due to the drive, hostile fans, and dust storms that visited throughout the game

Southern Miss fans were great for the most part, a few bad apples... town didn't have much to offer

Houston was by far my favorite.... alcohol sales in the stadium, sold out, we won one of the two games I attended, tailgating was outstanding... no complaints whatsoever (outside of the neighborhood)

I usually only attend one out of state game a year and try to catch all Texas games... this year, we'll be visiting Tulsa

Houston was pretty awesome. A taqueria and beer inside a stadium cant be wrong. Fans were fun and ROTC are dressed as cowboys. Great fun.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - GaSouthern - 05-22-2014 10:52 AM

Best: Florida 2013 - We won and the fans were surprising nice to us afterwards

Worst: Georgia 2008 - we were killed in the game, people threatened to fight me while leaving and were generally trashy and rude to my group.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Atlanta Trojan - 05-22-2014 10:54 AM

(05-22-2014 10:52 AM)GaSouthern Wrote:  Best: Florida 2013 - We won and the fans were surprising nice to us afterwards

Worst: Georgia 2008 - we were killed in the game, people threatened to fight me while leaving and were generally trashy and rude to my group.

We played UGA that year.... We had a very close game with them. Lost by 10.... On my way out a guy said "that's right take your butt back to the SBC" I'm like really dude! Your bragging because u bairly won against Troy?

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Rojogrande - 05-22-2014 11:26 AM

For WKU.

Best: @Alabama in 2012. Great tailgate, fans were super nice, friendly, and complimentary to WKU fans and the team. The game ended 35-0 but it was 21-0 in the 4th quarter. And AJ McCarron was on his back for much of the day. Crimson Tide fans came away impressed with WKU that game.

side note: I was invited to eat lunch in one of the sorority houses pre-game and that alone made the trip worth it. Along with sitting in the press box at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

Worst: @UK in 2012 also. UK fans were just disrespectful the entire day and throughout tailgating to many WKU fans. WKU jumped out to a quick 17-0 lead but let UK back into the game. WKU won in OT on a trick play on a 2-point conversion. UK fans erupted afterwards. WKU fans were berated with rude comments and cursed at while walking down the streets of Lexington after the game. Several younger fans tried to start fights with WKU fans. It was all around a classless day for the Kitty Cats.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - arkstfan - 05-22-2014 11:31 AM

ULM works well for visiting tailgaters because there are some great spaces an easy walk, though one year we were there mid-drought and the dust was horrible that time. Never tailgated at Cajun Field but the fans rival AState's in being able to be taken out of game with a bad play or two. Will miss UNT, never any need to take beer the Mean Green fans were always desperate to give beer away at Fouts. MTSU was OK. Set-up at Ladd isn't bad for tailgating but never been there for a USA game.

Strangest was Mizzou. Completely different pre-game vibe than any SEC school I've ever been to. They don't do big tailgates, just small collections of people around dinky little grills sitting in folding chairs pretending they don't even see visiting fans or even other Mizzou fans.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Buzz Lightyear Lite - 05-22-2014 12:06 PM

Best: LSU.....great pregame.....no one even knew who Troy was. Everyone wanted us party with them....then game started everyone left literally except Troy fans we were up by 25-28 points can not remember.....absolutely great...

Worst:LSU.....we somehow lost that dang game...

Only kidding....Worst is UAB can not stand that dump.....
Best in conference road game.....got to be UL....01-ncaabbs

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Buzz Lightyear Lite - 05-22-2014 12:10 PM

(05-22-2014 10:54 AM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  
(05-22-2014 10:52 AM)GaSouthern Wrote:  Best: Florida 2013 - We won and the fans were surprising nice to us afterwards

We played UGA that year.... We had a very close game with them. Lost by 10.... On my way out a guy said "that's right take your butt back to the SBC" I'm like really dude! Your bragging because u bairly won against Troy?
At Tennessee same thing happened walking out and they were trashing us.....all I said in that 59-57 defensive awesome display was this......You guys suck just a little less than we do on defense.....to that they said these immortal words......You guys play in the SBC and may not suck that bad.....we are in SEC, yep fraid you are right.....we are going to get the shite kicked out of us.....and they did....

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Atlanta Trojan - 05-22-2014 12:21 PM

Best...UGA, despite the loss I had a lot if fun, the jets passing by when your on the 3rd upper deck is amazing when they are eye level! I was like holy cow! The game was sooo much fun! And the UGA fans around me were great to be around! All around great time. Besides that one guy when I left.

Worst.... UAB, that stadium is so bad! And their fans don't care about tailgating. And were rude when I came to their home side to watch our band preform.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Trojan Possum - 05-22-2014 01:11 PM

Best: UL, by far one of the best venues in the SBC.

Worst: UA'sB... Crappy stadium in the GHETTO! Even crappier fans... Only bright spot was they sell beer made in Alabama.

RE: Best (and Worst) Away Game Experience - Ed Harley - 05-22-2014 01:29 PM

(05-22-2014 11:31 AM)arkstfan Wrote:  Strangest was Mizzou. Completely different pre-game vibe than any SEC school I've ever been to. They don't do big tailgates, just small collections of people around dinky little grills sitting in folding chairs pretending they don't even see visiting fans or even other Mizzou fans.

Yes, very strange setup indeed at Mizzou.