CSNbbs
Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach (/thread-683995.html)

Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - CrazyCajun - 03-27-2014 02:32 PM

ULM baseball coach Schexnaider relieved of duties Relieved of duties after eight-plus years

ULM coach Jeff Schexnaider has been relieved of his duties after more than eight years as the Warhawks head baseball coach.

Athletic director Brian Wickstrom notified Schexnaider Thursday morning of the decision after the team started this year 8-17 and 1-5 in Sun Belt Conference games.

Story Link
http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20140327/BREAKING_NEWS/303270033/ULM-baseball-coach-Schexnaider-relieved-of-duties?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - GaSoEagle - 03-27-2014 02:36 PM

Seems odd in middle of year--- was there something more here?

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - techdawg88 - 03-27-2014 03:07 PM

any candidates?

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - bluephi1914 - 03-27-2014 03:29 PM

(03-27-2014 02:36 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Seems odd in middle of year--- was there something more here?

Program has spiraled downhill since our last regional run. The scores of recent games show that we more than likely will not be able to recover under Shake.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - USACoN2012 - 03-27-2014 04:39 PM

Is Smoke Laval on speed dial?

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - geauxcajuns - 03-27-2014 05:15 PM

(03-27-2014 04:39 PM)USACoN2012 Wrote:  Is Smoke Laval on speed dial?

You think there is bad blood now between Louisiana and ULM. Smoke Laval would really add fuel to the fire. That cat hates us.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - CajunFanatico - 03-27-2014 06:02 PM

(03-27-2014 02:32 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  ULM baseball coach Schexnaider relieved of duties Relieved of duties after eight-plus years

ULM coach Jeff Schexnaider has been relieved of his duties after more than eight years as the Warhawks head baseball coach.

Athletic director Brian Wickstrom notified Schexnaider Thursday morning of the decision after the team started this year 8-17 and 1-5 in Sun Belt Conference games.

Story Link
http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/20140327/BREAKING_NEWS/303270033/ULM-baseball-coach-Schexnaider-relieved-of-duties?odyssey=mod|breaking|text|FRONTPAGE

Newsflash.............Strentz just nailed another homer against 'em.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - Arrowhead - 03-27-2014 11:55 PM

(03-27-2014 06:02 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 02:32 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  ULM baseball coach Schexnaider relieved of duties Relieved of duties after eight-plus years

Story Link

I'm just glad we don't have any AD anymore that puts up with mediocrity. Win or your gone. Women's basketball coach and now baseball. I hear possibly the LSU-E coach or Smoke. We'll see. Smoke is interested.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - CrazyCajun - 03-28-2014 12:38 AM

(03-27-2014 11:55 PM)Arrowhead Wrote:  

Story Link

I'm just glad we don't have any AD anymore that puts up with mediocrity. Win or your gone. Women's basketball coach and now baseball. I hear possibly the LSU-E coach or Smoke. We'll see. Smoke is interested.

I posted it because I knew Coach Robichaux and Coach Schex are good friends. I heard Coach Robichaux on the Cajun Redzone show tonight say Schex wasn't given much to work with in funding and support, and he didn't think ULM would find anyone better then a coach that has won two conference championships in the last 5 seasons for that kind of money. I don't think ULM will get the LSU-E coach unless they are willing to pay more and increase funding for the program.

The AD might not be willing to put up with mediocrity, but is he willing to pay for something more than mediocrity? That remains to be seen.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - chiefsfan - 03-28-2014 01:40 AM

Story Link

Take Smoke and run. Good coach...Should be able to fix some of the major issues at ULM pretty quickly.

You guys were in the Regionals two years ago (Grr) Its not like the team is suddenly devoid of talent.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - Arrowhead - 03-28-2014 08:52 AM

(03-28-2014 12:38 AM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

Story Link

I posted it because I knew Coach Robichaux and Coach Schex are good friends. I heard Coach Robichaux on the Cajun Redzone show tonight say Schex wasn't given much to work with in funding and support, and he didn't think ULM would find anyone better then a coach that has won two conference championships in the last 5 seasons for that kind of money. I don't think ULM will get the LSU-E coach unless they are willing to pay more and increase funding for the program.

The AD might not be willing to put up with mediocrity, but is he willing to pay for something more than mediocrity? That remains to be seen.

I like Shake a lot. Baseball of all sports at ULM has very nice facilities, talent rich area, and is fairly well funded. Has it's own booster club and ex pros like Ben Sheets and Chuck Finley give generously to the program. It is time to win and Wickstrom will come up with the money, not only to buy out Shake, but to get a good coach.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - CrazyCajun - 03-28-2014 11:54 AM

(03-28-2014 08:52 AM)Arrowhead Wrote:  

Story Link

I like Shake a lot. Baseball of all sports at ULM has very nice facilities, talent rich area, and is fairly well funded. Has it's own booster club and ex pros like Ben Sheets and Chuck Finley give generously to the program. It is time to win and Wickstrom will come up with the money, not only to buy out Shake, but to get a good coach.

Arrowhead, I'm not knocking you but please explain fairly well funded? Right now, Coach Robichaux's salary is $120,000 plus, Schex's was $75, 000 or $80,000? ULM is at the bottom of the Sun Belt Conference in athletic Budgets, so ULM baseball is also at the bottom. I'm not saying you can't change that with private donations, but the ULM job is not as attractive as you guys think right now. You just fired a coach that has been to an NCAA Regional twice and won, with those budget concerns. It doesn't look very good for ULM right now.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - geauxcajuns - 03-28-2014 01:31 PM

(03-28-2014 11:54 AM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 06:02 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Newsflash.............Strentz just nailed another homer against 'em.

Arrowhead, I'm not knocking you but please explain fairly well funded? Right now, Coach Robichaux's salary is $120,000 plus, Schex's was $75, 000 or $80,000? ULM is at the bottom of the Sun Belt Conference in athletic Budgets, so ULM baseball is also at the bottom. I'm not saying you can't change that with private donations, but the ULM job is not as attractive as you guys think right now. You just fired a coach that has been to an NCAA Regional twice and won, with those budget concerns. It doesn't look very good for ULM right now.
That number should double for Robe and Deggs should make $120k and named coach in waiting IMO.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - Atlanta Trojan - 03-28-2014 02:49 PM

Our baseball coach received a raise after last years successful season... Exact numbers never surfaced but it was said he would become the highest paid baseball coach in the SBC.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - chiefsfan - 03-28-2014 03:31 PM

(03-28-2014 02:49 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Our baseball coach received a raise after last years successful season... Exact numbers never surfaced but it was said he would become the highest paid baseball coach in the SBC.

Raffo got a pretty heavy raise a couple years ago after we nearly suffered the embarrassment of watching a head coach leave for another conference school. Forced us to make a much bigger commitment to baseball. I think he's right around 100K yearly now.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - geauxcajuns - 03-28-2014 03:49 PM

(03-28-2014 02:49 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Our baseball coach received a raise after last years successful season... Exact numbers never surfaced but it was said he would become the highest paid baseball coach in the SBC.

Must be pretty good pay. Robe makes $172 if he hits all incentives.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - Atlanta Trojan - 03-28-2014 06:37 PM

(03-28-2014 03:49 PM)geauxcajuns Wrote:  

Must be pretty good pay. Robe makes $172 if he hits all incentives.

Ya they said it was a hefty raise... He was making around 115k a year before the raise.

He deserves it after winning the SBC 2 of the last 3 years.

RE: Louisiana-Monroe Fires Baseball Coach - Arrowhead - 03-29-2014 02:08 PM

(03-28-2014 11:54 AM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(03-27-2014 06:02 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  Newsflash.............Strentz just nailed another homer against 'em.

I've heard Smoke would come for 100k, which is doable. We'll see what happens. I doubt we fired Shake not knowing we had the donors in place to hire a quality coach.