CSNbbs
NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize (/thread-683876.html)

NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - CatMom - 03-26-2014 03:54 PM

Thoughts?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10677763/northwestern-wildcats-football-players-win-bid-unionize&ex_cid=sportscenter

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - SkullyMaroo - 03-26-2014 04:06 PM

[Image: turrible.jpg]

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - arkstfan - 03-26-2014 04:13 PM

Irrelevant. States are exempt from the act so the ability of players to unionize at state universities depends on state law and in the south the state laws are not union friendly.

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - RoyK - 03-26-2014 05:02 PM

(03-26-2014 04:13 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Irrelevant. States are exempt from the act so the ability of players to unionize at state universities depends on state law and in the south the state laws are not union friendly.

Would seem to be very bad for private schools. Public not so much

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - trojanbrutha - 03-26-2014 10:26 PM

AL is an at-will state...car companies are lovin' that. No chance this legislature would buy into that.

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - GoApps70 - 03-26-2014 10:47 PM

"the Chicago district of the National Labor Relations Board ruled on Wednesday that Northwestern football players qualify as employees of the university and can unionize."

Considering where this ruling came from, isn't surprising at all.

If not overturned will end football scholarships in college, and football as we know it.
Think it will end up at the Supreme Court.

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - chiefsfan - 03-27-2014 01:15 PM

Our AD Had a field day with this when asked today. He said anyone who honestly truly believes student-athletes are employees is a complete idiot.

He made a comment that he in a way hopes it happens because he'd love to be able to recruit against a school who has unionized players. Said it would be easy.

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - slappycajun - 03-27-2014 02:27 PM

I think the decision will be reversed on appeal.

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - JoeJag - 03-27-2014 02:31 PM

(03-26-2014 03:54 PM)CatMom Wrote:  Thoughts?
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10677763/northwestern-wildcats-football-players-win-bid-unionize&ex_cid=sportscenter

Sure they say that players can organize. They have been backing unions for years, but now they're getting desperate.

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - Jack Bauer - 03-27-2014 04:34 PM

So since they are all employees now, that means that they have to pay taxes on their scholarships, books, room and board (those are all compensation). So when these players who want to form a union at a private university paying $50k a year in tuition and pay taxes on that, I think those players won't form a union.

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - SHWISH - 03-27-2014 05:49 PM

Image a player making good money playing ball. Why should he quit after 4 years. Drag out his degree for years.

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - Oldyeller - 03-27-2014 06:06 PM

This is my guy! This commercial ran on the local networks during the Super Bowl this year.04-rock

http://youtu.be/jr2gdPY-88w

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - AppfanInCAAland - 03-28-2014 07:57 AM

(03-27-2014 04:34 PM)Jack Bauer Wrote:  So since they are all employees now, that means that they have to pay taxes on their scholarships, books, room and board (those are all compensation). So when these players who want to form a union at a private university paying $50k a year in tuition and pay taxes on that, I think those players won't form a union.

Who will be responsible for paying the union dues?

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - DoubleAggie - 03-28-2014 08:52 AM

This is probably a big deal.

Not so much on the union aspect, but willing compensation by schools.

If student athletes are employees, which the ruling states, then they can be paid.
Would an upper tier school offer salary to win a recruiting battle for a 5 star? Yes.

Now consider the financial state of most SunBelt programs -
if flush programs can pay and subsidized programs can not,
what happens to the subsidized programs?

I love college sports - the passion, tradition.
But in more rational moments,
I know it's utterly ridiculous to include big business sports entertainment from a University.

This decision will even further amplify the difference between tiers in college sports,
and make us confront the reality of what they have become.

RE: NLRB says College Players Can Unionize - runamuck - 03-29-2014 10:11 AM

(03-28-2014 08:52 AM)DoubleAggie Wrote:  This is probably a big deal.

Not so much on the union aspect, but willing compensation by schools.

If student athletes are employees, which the ruling states, then they can be paid.
Would an upper tier school offer salary to win a recruiting battle for a 5 star? Yes.

Now consider the financial state of most SunBelt programs -
if flush programs can pay and subsidized programs can not,
what happens to the subsidized programs?

I love college sports - the passion, tradition.
But in more rational moments,
I know it's utterly ridiculous to include big business sports entertainment from a University.

This decision will even further amplify the difference between tiers in college sports,
and make us confront the reality of what they have become.

yes and wait till a team from some big time school in a pro-union state threatens a strike before the first game of a new season leaving thousands of fan's travel plans and concession workers and tv crews and network scheduling in limbo..