CSNbbs
Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand (/thread-682981.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - Crump1 - 03-25-2014 09:27 PM

(03-25-2014 09:18 PM)ODU BLUE Wrote:  If the Sun Belt wants to be perceived as equal to or greater than the MAC they would be wise to continue selecting teams that want in the Belt. The last two did and I would select Liberty for the 12th, because they do. Selecting teams that loathe the conference is ridiculous. And to be honest it makes more sense for Liberty than it does for JMU.
It is exciting to have some teams coming in who have history, support and are excited to be here. As for the MAC, we are already at least equal to them in football. We do have the disadvantage of playing more schools from the SEC in our OOC instead of the Big Ten but the product on the field is at least equal.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - GoAppsGo92 - 03-25-2014 09:34 PM

(03-25-2014 09:18 PM)ODU BLUE Wrote:  If the Sun Belt wants to be perceived as equal to or greater than the MAC they would be wise to continue selecting teams that want in the Belt. The last two did and I would select Liberty for the 12th, because they do. Selecting teams that loathe the conference is ridiculous. And to be honest it makes more sense for Liberty than it does for JMU.

I think the university president and the board speak for the school, not a hand full of message board fans. I get the fact that there are JMU fans out there that think they can do better, and it's hard to adjust, but the market is the market. The market sets the value. JMU, like App, has been very loyal. They won't make this decision lightly, and will commit fully, once they are scheduling home and homes with CUSA and AAC schools, all objection will go away.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - chiefsfan - 03-25-2014 09:43 PM

there were quite a few App and GSU fans on their own board who were against the original move to the Sun Belt. I've noticed most of those have disappeared the last few months as conference schedules got released.

Several JMU fans upset about moving to the SBC doesn't really bother me.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - appsfan - 03-25-2014 09:50 PM

(03-25-2014 08:30 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  JMU may not like the idea of being in the SBC, but it's a whole heck a lot better than the FCS. That is a fact.

Ditto, what he said...

Re: RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - bamaEagle - 03-25-2014 10:03 PM

I absolutely love the idea of having a conference full of teams committed to sticking around and making our brand of football the best G5 conference in the game. Do I think it will happen? Doubt it, but taking schools excited to be in the SBC is the right way to do it.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - GE and MTS - 03-25-2014 10:05 PM

(03-25-2014 08:30 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  JMU may not like the idea of being in the SBC, but it's a whole heck a lot better than the FCS. That is a fact.

I think it's an opinion, not a fact. JMU is in a conference with schools it considers itself peers which it helped recruit/select. The same reason the Sun Belt wouldn't want to associate itself with Liberty is the same reason JMU doesn't want to associate itself with the Sun Belt. They don't socially mesh and that could make for a rocky relationship. Would JMU want to rub elbows in an athletic conference that it likely sees inferior academically to their current conference mates? When the prospective students and/or donors see that JMU hangs with the likes of ULM (as an example) instead of William and Mary, will that be a turn off? It appears JMU cares significantly more about their academic prestige (as they should) and are putting that on a pedestal at the risk of playing inferior football.

Re: RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - bamaEagle - 03-25-2014 10:28 PM

(03-25-2014 10:05 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

I think it's an opinion, not a fact. JMU is in a conference with schools it considers itself peers which it helped recruit/select. The same reason the Sun Belt wouldn't want to associate itself with Liberty is the same reason JMU doesn't want to associate itself with the Sun Belt. They don't socially mesh and that could make for a rocky relationship. Would JMU want to rub elbows in an athletic conference that it likely sees inferior academically to their current conference mates? When the prospective students and/or donors see that JMU hangs with the likes of ULM (as an example) instead of William and Mary, will that be a turn off? It appears JMU cares significantly more about their academic prestige (as they should) and are putting that on a pedestal at the risk of playing inferior football.

You could rub elbows with GaSt, just ask them how much better they are academically... 03-wink

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - SHWISH - 03-25-2014 10:37 PM

JMU is not going to the sbc. Neither is MSU, at least not this year. And no NMSU all sports, not this year.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - ARSTATEFAN1986 - 03-25-2014 10:50 PM

(03-25-2014 10:03 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  

I absolutely love the idea of having a conference full of teams committed to sticking around and making our brand of football the best G5 conference in the game. Do I think it will happen? Doubt it, but taking schools excited to be in the SBC is the right way to do it.

Whether it be Liberty or EKU in the east along with Missouri State and NMSU.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - chiefsfan - 03-25-2014 10:52 PM

(03-25-2014 10:37 PM)SHWISH Wrote:  JMU is not going to the sbc. Neither is MSU, at least not this year. And no NMSU all sports, not this year.

Thanks so much Karl.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - TOPSTRAIGHT - 03-25-2014 11:20 PM

You're welcome,Jessie!

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - ChooChoo - 03-25-2014 11:21 PM

(03-25-2014 09:50 PM)appsfan Wrote:  

Ditto, what he said...

same here. Most of us (the 12 GSU fans) were hanging our hat on a CUSA invite after finding out they'd been to campus a couple years back. We were hedging our bets to take the SBC invite cause we thought it would ruin our shot. We ultimately did the right thing and made the jump. No, the CUSA call never came but then, its not the same conference it was 2 years ago. I'm thrilled to be in the SBC! All I can hope is we do our part to compete and hope the conference can get a team in the Top 25. THAT is key for respect. The MAC does it (NIU) regularly. As another poster eluded to, It may take cutting back on some SEC money games but if we can schedule more ACC and BIG 10 I'm sure we can pull some more upsets and subsequently make some runs in the polls.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - arkstfan - 03-25-2014 11:51 PM

(03-25-2014 11:21 PM)ChooChoo Wrote:  
(03-25-2014 09:50 PM)appsfan Wrote:  

Ditto, what he said...

same here. Most of us (the 12 GSU fans) were hanging our hat on a CUSA invite after finding out they'd been to campus a couple years back. We were hedging our bets to take the SBC invite cause we thought it would ruin our shot. We ultimately did the right thing and made the jump. No, the CUSA call never came but then, its not the same conference it was 2 years ago. I'm thrilled to be in the SBC! All I can hope is we do our part to compete and hope the conference can get a team in the Top 25. THAT is key for respect. The MAC does it (NIU) regularly. As another poster eluded to, It may take cutting back on some SEC money games but if we can schedule more ACC and BIG 10 I'm sure we can pull some more upsets and subsequently make some runs in the polls.

That is the most bizarre thinking. It's not like trying to be a virgin until your wedding night.

TCU has been passed around like a motorcycle club tramp (since 1994 SWC, WAC, CUSA, MWC, Big East, Big XII) and it hasn't hurt them, they didn't even play in the Big East.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - ChooChoo - 03-26-2014 12:25 AM

Well that's the point. We know that now but when you're thinking about exit fees and entrance fees and all which that entails we didn't want to mess up or upset the cart by making the wrong choice (message board posters only). Ultimately it didn't matter. Our AD and Pres graciously accepted and did little due diligence to follow up elsewhere from the what I've heard on the underground. Benson is a convincing salesman for sure. We will get the right schools.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - panama - 03-26-2014 06:29 AM

Exit fees is and entrance fees is huge at this level. Hard to hit up donors for yet another million after you just hit them up. By now JMU knows what their prospects are for each conference. Right now you take the invite in hand and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - panama - 03-26-2014 06:30 AM

(03-25-2014 10:37 PM)SHWISH Wrote:  JMU is not going to the sbc. Neither is MSU, at least not this year. And no NMSU all sports, not this year.

Is that a prayer?

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - GaSouthern - 03-26-2014 08:38 AM

If Benson lands MSU, JMU and converts NMSU to all sports then he will have really impressed me! Make it so Benson!!!

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - AlwaysSunny - 03-26-2014 09:17 AM

It's pretty obvious JMU isn't really interested in the "join just to get in" route. People keep saying it's more beneficial to them, but how? Do they generate more revenue or lose money? Do they have more travel expenses or less? I'm betting NDSU would probably feel the same way...some seem to think it's a benefit to them to join the league but that just might not be the case, FCS or not. Last few years NDSU has traveled to, and beaten a couple of different Big 10 teams, been on college gameday, sell out their stadium, etc etc etc. They have regional rivals, etc...so, they move to the Sunbelt and the benefit is....a shot at the New Orleans bowl? They really won't gain any more notoriety than they already have. Is that worth the move to them just to be able to say they're FBS? Just saying...

Plus look at JMU's situation, they just watched their peer school (ODU) go directly from FCS to CUSA, of course they aren't going to be quick to want to join the Sunbelt.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - ARSTATEFAN1986 - 03-26-2014 09:29 AM

(03-26-2014 09:17 AM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  It's pretty obvious JMU isn't really interested in the "join just to get in" route. People keep saying it's more beneficial to them, but how? Do they generate more revenue or lose money? Do they have more travel expenses or less? I'm betting NDSU would probably feel the same way...some seem to think it's a benefit to them to join the league but that just might not be the case, FCS or not. Last few years NDSU has traveled to, and beaten a couple of different Big 10 teams, been on college gameday, sell out their stadium, etc etc etc. They have regional rivals, etc...so, they move to the Sunbelt and the benefit is....a shot at the New Orleans bowl? They really won't gain any more notoriety than they already have. Is that worth the move to them just to be able to say they're FBS? Just saying...

Plus look at JMU's situation, they just watched their peer school (ODU) go directly from FCS to CUSA, of course they aren't going to be quick to want to join the Sunbelt.

Good!!! I am hoping they don't join! There are other options that would be better for the belt.

RE: Sun Belt Conference votes to expand - SHWISH - 03-26-2014 09:36 AM

(03-26-2014 09:17 AM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  It's pretty obvious JMU isn't really interested in the "join just to get in" route. People keep saying it's more beneficial to them, but how? Do they generate more revenue or lose money? Do they have more travel expenses or less? I'm betting NDSU would probably feel the same way...some seem to think it's a benefit to them to join the league but that just might not be the case, FCS or not. Last few years NDSU has traveled to, and beaten a couple of different Big 10 teams, been on college gameday, sell out their stadium, etc etc etc. They have regional rivals, etc...so, they move to the Sunbelt and the benefit is....a shot at the New Orleans bowl? They really won't gain any more notoriety than they already have. Is that worth the move to them just to be able to say they're FBS? Just saying...

Look if you can't pretend jmu is joining and will lead the sbc to greatness, than don't post at all. Without jmu we are nothing.