CSNbbs
Statement From Karl Benson! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Statement From Karl Benson! (/thread-666401.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Statement From Karl Benson! - gostAte870 - 12-08-2013 09:29 PM

Karl Benson Statement on Bowl Selections

He's way in over his head...

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - ark30inf - 12-08-2013 09:36 PM

(12-08-2013 09:29 PM)gostAte870 Wrote:  Karl Benson Statement on Bowl Selections

He should have password protected that so I didn't have to read it.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - GaSoEagle - 12-08-2013 09:44 PM

Last year 2 eligible teams were left out. This year 9 were left out. Part of the solution is more bowl slots. 5 new bowls next year. I have to believe the problem will largely be solved next year.

The SBC has 3 guaranteed spots and with the extra bowl games I would assume the other SBC eligible teams will have a place to go. Next year and in the future I will be happy if EVERY SBC team 7-5 or better goes bowling. Next year with the increased opportunities I actually feel pretty good about SBC teams who are 6-6 going bowling.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - chiefsfan - 12-08-2013 09:45 PM

More bowls will help significantly next year. We'll have I believe two new teams that will have the chance to be eligible and Ten new spots available.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - galojah - 12-08-2013 09:46 PM

(12-08-2013 09:36 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 09:29 PM)gostAte870 Wrote:  Karl Benson Statement on Bowl Selections

He should have password protected that so I didn't have to read it.

That deserves Props.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - GaSoEagle - 12-08-2013 09:48 PM

Well NMSU and Idaho were technically eligible for bowls this year, so there will be no change there. I wish Ga. Southern and App were eligible next year but we have to wait until 2015 to be bowl eligible.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - gostAte870 - 12-08-2013 09:52 PM

Too bad Little Rock couldn't get their act together and get the Rice Bowl done. A Sun Belt vs. AAC opponent would have been awesome.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - GaSoEagle - 12-08-2013 09:56 PM

I was told there will be a major effort to start another bowl in 2015 that the SBC will be part of. I don't know where this bowl would be and who is involved, but I was told by a Ga. Southern official that the SBC will have a 4th guaranteed spot in 2015.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - arkstfan - 12-08-2013 10:02 PM

Most years I believe we will have four guaranteed because of the Miami, Boca, Bahamas rotation.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - ark30inf - 12-08-2013 10:03 PM

(12-08-2013 09:56 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I was told there will be a major effort to start another bowl in 2015 that the SBC will be part of. I don't know where this bowl would be and who is involved, but I was told by a Ga. Southern official that the SBC will have a 4th guaranteed spot in 2015.

That's great if true. But it doesn't mean much if it is in Little Rock and Georgia Southern never gets invited to it because they are not Arkansas State and are sort of little.

We can't reform the bowl system. But we ought to be able to find a way to make sure that our champions go to bowls and that our best football teams go to bowls.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - GaSoEagle - 12-08-2013 10:04 PM

I am not sure if he meant a new bowl would be created or there would be a guaranteed 4 SBC bowling in 2015. When I get a chance I will ask him to see exactly what he meant.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - SpaceRaider - 12-08-2013 10:09 PM

Nothing new there...

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - ark30inf - 12-08-2013 10:18 PM

(12-08-2013 10:04 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I am not sure if he meant a new bowl would be created or there would be a guaranteed 4 SBC bowling in 2015. When I get a chance I will ask him to see exactly what he meant.

You better have him make sure that he wasn't just given a "guideline".

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - stAte-Alumni2012 - 12-08-2013 10:22 PM

The fact that he felt he needed to specifically point out WKU bothers me. Beyond that the whole statement sounds like things behind the scenes aren't very pretty at all.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - Fanof49ASU - 12-08-2013 10:25 PM

(12-08-2013 10:18 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 10:04 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I am not sure if he meant a new bowl would be created or there would be a guaranteed 4 SBC bowling in 2015. When I get a chance I will ask him to see exactly what he meant.

How sad is it, that when he mentions 'guidelines'....he's talking about the SBC bylaws...?!

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - arkstfan - 12-08-2013 10:29 PM

(12-08-2013 10:25 PM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
(12-08-2013 10:18 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

How sad is it, that when he mentions 'guidelines'....he's talking about the SBC bylaws...?!
They aren't bylaws, they are regulations according to the document.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - Tom in Lazybrook - 12-08-2013 10:33 PM

What would you have expected Benson to have done in two years? These things take time. On this issue, unlike when it comes to the awful TV contract, we've seen positive movement (a new Bowl tie in plus the new rotation) which appears to get us to 4 direct tie-ins. Plus all the other new bowls should get us where we need to be next year and beyond.

I'm not a huge fan of Karl Benson, but there's not much he can do in 2 years. He is moving to resolve the situation.

I consider the Bowl situation largely resolved from next year onwards. My priorities for KB

1) Figuring out how to amend that TV contract for football before 2020.
2) Basketball - bring NMSU in all sports
3) Basketball - minimum funding requirements for college coaching and staff. Minimum OOC scheduling requirements. A ban on non-Div I games.
4) Expansion - NMSU for all sports, JMU/Missouri State in football (or no one if neither wants to jump now).
5) Bowls - work with bowls during the season to try to be proactive and ensure that each team gets the best matchup and access possible.
6) Football Scheduling Requirements - Require one OOC FBS home game per year. Ban more than one 'payday game' per year.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - ark30inf - 12-08-2013 10:33 PM

(12-08-2013 10:22 PM)stAte-Alumni2012 Wrote:  The fact that he felt he needed to specifically point out WKU bothers me.

No joke. I would be hacked off if he told the world that he tried to bribe the GoDaddy Bowl with a bag-o-cash and they still didn't want A-State.

Did he bother to run this by the WKU AD before releasing it?

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - WKUYG - 12-08-2013 10:34 PM

Do any of you believe there was ANYONE that could have made any difference in the # of SBC schools bowling this year? Benson had nothing to do with getting beat out by the MAC and CUSA for bowl tie ins

The same people bitching about "rules" "bylaws" are some of the same ones that no more than 6 weeks ago were saying "the bowls" have the choice to take the school they think will make them the most money....not the SBC standings.

RE: Statement From Karl Benson! - Tom in Lazybrook - 12-08-2013 10:40 PM

(12-08-2013 10:34 PM)WKUYG Wrote:  Do any of you believe there was ANYONE that could have made any difference in the # of SBC schools bowling this year? Benson had nothing to do with getting beat out by the MAC and CUSA for bowl tie ins

The same people bitching about "rules" "bylaws" are some of the same ones that no more than 6 weeks ago were saying "the bowls" have the choice to take the school they think will make them the most money....not the SBC standings.

Exactly

1) What bowl tie in could Karl Benson have gotten in the last two years for the Belt?

2) What bowl this year was going to take a Sun Belt team over an AQ team?

I get that WKU is disappointed. I get that Troy, ULM, USA, and Texas State are disappointed. But know this. The MAC, with all those backup slots ended up with a team with a winning record sitting at home too. Neither CUSA nor the MAC nor the MWC were able to get any 6 win teams into a bowl. They all have teams sitting at home.

Regarding Ark State over WKU. You had a better overall record than Ark State, but Ark State had a better conference record. And Ark State is a co-champion. And Ark State is staying. I don't think you really have a overwhelming argument that you got jobbed. And you shouldn't expect the Belt to stiff their own conference champion to make a spot for someone who is leaving.