CSNbbs
A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements (/thread-665450.html)

A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - bigbelly - 12-04-2013 08:11 PM

Is there someone on here that can explain the true picture of whether the Sun Belt has backup agreements with any bowls, and if not why? At some point in the last two years there have either been published stories or rumors about us having backup agreements with Little Caesar's, Beef O
Brady's, Independence, and BBVA. Not sure what's true or when they may have expired.

However, the reason SBC teams may not get a third bowl bid seems to be because we've once again been outsmarted by others, primarily the MAC. We have two bowl tie-ins and from all indications no backup agreements. The MAC--already with three bowl tie-ins--was somehow able to get negotiate a backup agreement with the SDCCU Poinsettia Bowl and appears to have another backup agreement with Beef O Brady's. BOB's would rather sign up to take a 5th MAC team if a 3rd Sun Belt option were available. That may not be accurate, but if not then why does almost every bowl prognosticator have a MAC school in St. Pete over an SBC team? Can someone convince me that Toledo or Ohio (which lost three of their last four games by an average of 35 points) would send more fans to Tampa than WKU or Troy?

Just more evidence of a lack of leadership and forward-thinking at the top if you ask me. Benson = Waters.

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - WKUApollo - 12-04-2013 08:20 PM

Wikipedia can't always be trusted but here's what it says about the Beef O'Brady's Bowl:
The bowl game features teams from The American and Conference USA (the former of which has many past members of the latter), unless one of the conferences does not have enough bowl eligible teams, in which case the MAC or Sun Belt Conference are eligible to send a team.

Maybe the MAC is the first backup and the SBC is the second backup. Dunno

Here's what wikipedia says about the SBC and it's tie-ins:
The Sun Belt has secondary tie-ins to serve as an alternate in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl or Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl if the primary contracted participants cannot participate.[27]

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - bigbelly - 12-04-2013 08:26 PM

(12-04-2013 08:20 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  Wikipedia can't always be trusted but here's what it says about the Beef O'Brady's Bowl:
The bowl game features teams from The American and Conference USA (the former of which has many past members of the latter), unless one of the conferences does not have enough bowl eligible teams, in which case the MAC or Sun Belt Conference are eligible to send a team.

The Sun Belt has secondary tie-ins to serve as an alternate in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl or Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl if the primary contracted participants cannot participate.[27]

I've seen that on wikipedia but don't think it's accurate in refernce to the Sun Belt. If true then there would be no concern about a third SBC team going to Detroit since the Big Ten will not be able to fill their slot.

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - WKUApollo - 12-04-2013 08:42 PM

My guess is other secondary tie-ins expired except maybe the Little Caesars Bowl. That's just a guess though.

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - WKUAlum92 - 12-04-2013 08:45 PM

(12-04-2013 08:26 PM)bigbelly Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 08:20 PM)WKUApollo Wrote:  Wikipedia can't always be trusted but here's what it says about the Beef O'Brady's Bowl:

I've seen that on wikipedia but don't think it's accurate in refernce to the Sun Belt. If true then there would be no concern about a third SBC team going to Detroit since the Big Ten will not be able to fill their slot.

Here is a link to the agreement The Little Caesars Bowl officials announced through the 2013 college football season.

This agreement was announced April 12, 2010.

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/041210aaa.html

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - chiefsfan - 12-04-2013 08:46 PM

Detroit's backup doesn't exist because they kind of are doing their own thing since this is the last year of the bowl. I think we lost BOB when FIU and FAU moved to CUSA.

If our commissioner was smart, he would be setting up backups at the BBVA and Independence Bowls for the future.

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - WKUFan518 - 12-04-2013 08:46 PM

(12-04-2013 08:11 PM)bigbelly Wrote:  Is there someone on here that can explain the true picture of whether the Sun Belt has backup agreements with any bowls, and if not why? At some point in the last two years there have either been published stories or rumors about us having backup agreements with Little Caesar's, Beef O
Brady's, Independence, and BBVA. Not sure what's true or when they may have expired.

However, the reason SBC teams may not get a third bowl bid seems to be because we've once again been outsmarted by others, primarily the MAC. We have two bowl tie-ins and from all indications no backup agreements. The MAC--already with three bowl tie-ins--was somehow able to get negotiate a backup agreement with the SDCCU Poinsettia Bowl and appears to have another backup agreement with Beef O Brady's. BOB's would rather sign up to take a 5th MAC team if a 3rd Sun Belt option were available. That may not be accurate, but if not then why does almost every bowl prognosticator have a MAC school in St. Pete over an SBC team? Can someone convince me that Toledo or Ohio (which lost three of their last four games by an average of 35 points) would send more fans to Tampa than WKU or Troy?

Just more evidence of a lack of leadership and forward-thinking at the top if you ask me. Benson = Waters.

That is what I posted today also.....Ohio brought no one to I Bowl last season and most certainly will not bring many to Tampa...And this is a clear example of how lacking the leadership is in New Orleans to let the MAC come in and gobble every agreement they can in Sun Belt's backyard...That is what is so frustrating about all of this mess....Good luck App St. and Georgia SOuthern, this maybe you in a few seasons but I cannot see how it would every be as bad as this season is with 2 agreements only and no backups to anything coming off 2 or 3 seasons where the SB had 4 bowl eligible teams....Countdown has already begun for LAf. and Ark. St. for the 4th straight season in 2014 and 15..New Orleans and Go DADDY should go ahead and present Laf. and Ark. St with lifetime bowl agreements like Navy and Army have...

In the long run I think bowls can trade or do whatever they want....

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - WKUAlum92 - 12-04-2013 08:50 PM

The Little Caesars Bowl Officials do not have to honor what they agreed to through the end of this football season?

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - WKUApollo - 12-04-2013 08:52 PM

(12-04-2013 08:50 PM)WKUAlum92 Wrote:  The Little Caesars Bowl Officials do not have to honor what they agreed to through the end of this football season?

In the words of Arkansas State fans "They're just guidelines?"

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - chiefsfan - 12-04-2013 08:54 PM

(12-04-2013 08:50 PM)WKUAlum92 Wrote:  The Little Caesars Bowl Officials do not have to honor what they agreed to through the end of this football season?

Apparently not. I do wonder if Bowls had an out on our backup contracts if we lost members.

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - WKUAlum92 - 12-04-2013 08:57 PM

If the Big Ten does not have a Bowl eligible team to send to the Little Caesars Bowl, a SBC team has to be selected. The agreement The Little Caesars Bowl Officials announced clearly states that in the press release.

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - WKUFan518 - 12-04-2013 09:00 PM

(12-04-2013 08:57 PM)WKUAlum92 Wrote:  If the Big Ten does not have a Bowl eligible team to send to the Little Caesars Bowl, a SBC team has to be selected. The agreement The Little Caesars Bowl Officials announced clearly states that in the press release.

Good luck figuring it all out? From the last 3 seasons in my experience trying to figure it out, I think bowls do whatever they feel like doing in the long run...I mean they trade picks or they agree next year the get this number pick, its a joke really...Whatever ESPN tells them to do for most they do and make up the rules or guidelines to do so afterwards to promote the game......Secondary agreements seems to be even bigger mess than primary tie ins...

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - chiefsfan - 12-05-2013 12:38 AM

(12-04-2013 09:00 PM)WKUFan518 Wrote:  
(12-04-2013 08:57 PM)WKUAlum92 Wrote:  If the Big Ten does not have a Bowl eligible team to send to the Little Caesars Bowl, a SBC team has to be selected. The agreement The Little Caesars Bowl Officials announced clearly states that in the press release.

Good luck figuring it all out? From the last 3 seasons in my experience trying to figure it out, I think bowls do whatever they feel like doing in the long run...I mean they trade picks or they agree next year the get this number pick, its a joke really...Whatever ESPN tells them to do for most they do and make up the rules or guidelines to do so afterwards to promote the game......Secondary agreements seems to be even bigger mess than primary tie ins...

Pretty much. Bowls sign secondary agreements with small conferences thinking it gets them a stable local team, and then you get a year like this when they are contracted for a stable local team, but see a national brand like Maryland available at large. All of the sudden, they regret that Secondary deal.

RE: A question about bowl tie-ins and backup agreements - MTowho - 12-05-2013 09:27 AM

CUSA has signed a backup agreement with the Independence Bowl for the 2014-2019 bowl period. Pretty much a guarantee that one of the slots will be open each year.

The MAC's current (this year) backup agreement with Beef and BBVA stipulates that if one or both of those bowls have a slot open, they must be selected to fill at least one.