CSNbbs
If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? (/thread-639096.html)

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 10-08-2015 06:18 AM

(10-07-2015 11:03 PM)murrdcu Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 11:51 AM)XLance Wrote:  Even with Oklahoma the SEC would need at least one other Texas school to help tie those 26 Million Texans to the SEC. It should be a school that would have a reason to bind the fan that does not have much of an allegiance to any school already. Texas Tech? Nah too far and too remote. TCU? Nah, Oklahoma already covers DFW. Tejas? It would be great, but they aren't going to join the SEC, period.
That just leaves Baylor for #16 (you just can't beat a bunch of Baptists in the South).

OU and another Texas school that's not UT? Would be better off with WVU or ECU
Market wise the best two would be Oklahoma and Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech gives you the market you desire, delivers the beltway, and gives you about a 30% share of West Virginia's market without having to take on a program that would be the lowest rated in the SEC from day 1, doesn't offer our requisite number of sports, and has conflicts with existing venue rules for the SEC.

The trouble with ECU is that we are carrying a decent percentage of North Carolina already without a North Carolina school and they too would be immediately at the bottom of the SEC academically. With a Virginia school North Carolina would be encircled.

I believe ultimately we may be headed to 18. The dream scenario for the SEC would be to do that with OU, UT, VaTech, and UNC. I just don't see that WVU adds enough now that the SECN is paying out what it is paying. We've about priced ourselves out of strong candidates.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - 5thTiger - 10-08-2015 09:26 AM

(10-08-2015 06:18 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 11:51 AM)XLance Wrote:  Even with Oklahoma the SEC would need at least one other Texas school to help tie those 26 Million Texans to the SEC. It should be a school that would have a reason to bind the fan that does not have much of an allegiance to any school already. Texas Tech? Nah too far and too remote. TCU? Nah, Oklahoma already covers DFW. Tejas? It would be great, but they aren't going to join the SEC, period.
That just leaves Baylor for #16 (you just can't beat a bunch of Baptists in the South).

Market wise the best two would be Oklahoma and Virginia Tech. Virginia Tech gives you the market you desire, delivers the beltway, and gives you about a 30% share of West Virginia's market without having to take on a program that would be the lowest rated in the SEC from day 1, doesn't offer our requisite number of sports, and has conflicts with existing venue rules for the SEC.

The trouble with ECU is that we are carrying a decent percentage of North Carolina already without a North Carolina school and they too would be immediately at the bottom of the SEC academically. With a Virginia school North Carolina would be encircled.

I believe ultimately we may be headed to 18. The dream scenario for the SEC would be to do that with OU, UT, VaTech, and UNC. I just don't see that WVU adds enough now that the SECN is paying out what it is paying. We've about priced ourselves out of strong candidates.

18 makes no sense to me. 16, yes. 20, sure, if you are going beyond 16.

Anything beyond 16 and you might as well split into separate conferences. 16 works out if you go to a 9 game conference schedule, which is doable. Anything more and it just becomes too much.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - XLance - 10-08-2015 11:51 AM

We all know how this is really going down. ESPN will call in the commissioner, tell him that's it's time to expand from 14 to 16, give him a list of 3-4 ranked candidates and say pick two. The rankings will be based on viewers, market and dollars and the "fit" will be up to the conference. ESPN has all of the data that they need to know. The commissioner will then call in the Presidents and a decision will be made.
Now it doesn't matter whether you are talking about the commissioner of the SEC or the commissioner of the ACC, the process will be the same because ESPN has all of the numbers.
In the case of the ACC, it will be when the folks in South Bend have finally agreed to terms and the list may be as long as the SEC's, but the league will only get to pick one. Finis.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 10-08-2015 02:09 PM

(10-08-2015 11:51 AM)XLance Wrote:  

We all know how this is really going down. ESPN will call in the commissioner, tell him that's it's time to expand from 14 to 16, give him a list of 3-4 ranked candidates and say pick two. The rankings will be based on viewers, market and dollars and the "fit" will be up to the conference. ESPN has all of the data that they need to know. The commissioner will then call in the Presidents and a decision will be made.
Now it doesn't matter whether you are talking about the commissioner of the SEC or the commissioner of the ACC, the process will be the same because ESPN has all of the numbers.
In the case of the ACC, it will be when the folks in South Bend have finally agreed to terms and the list may be as long as the SEC's, but the league will only get to pick one. Finis.

That is probably how it will work out. The SEC only goes to 18 if the ACC somehow manages to get destabilized. 16 is more probable for now.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - AllTideUp - 10-08-2015 08:36 PM

The question for me is...

How many current Big 12 schools is ESPN really worried about preserving? I'm thinking 5 or 6 at the most?

I could see schools like West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, TCU...and then maybe UConn added to the ACC. It would make a network working a lot more likely while increasing the football and basketball product and stabilizing that league for the long term.

ACC West: TCU, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Iowa State, Louisville
ACC North: Boston College, UConn, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia
ACC Mid-Atlantic: Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, Wake Forest
ACC South: North Carolina State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Florida State, Miami

If the ACC Network ends up getting bundled with the SEC Network then it's going to make it a lot easier if the leagues overlap even more than they do now.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 10-08-2015 08:41 PM

(10-08-2015 08:36 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  The question for me is...

How many current Big 12 schools is ESPN really worried about preserving? I'm thinking 5 or 6 at the most?

I could see schools like West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, TCU...and then maybe UConn added to the ACC. It would make a network working a lot more likely while increasing the football and basketball product and stabilizing that league for the long term.

If the ACC Network ends up getting bundled with the SEC Network then it's going to make it a lot easier if the leagues overlap even more than they do now.

I'm thinking 3: Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas in that order. W.V.U. isn't worth paying them 40 million a year in the SEC. Oklahoma State would only be of interest if that is what it took to get Oklahoma and the other two.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - XLance - 10-09-2015 06:10 AM

At this point , after all of the talk and speculation, the ACC probably has only three expansion candidates. The first is Notre Dame. Nothing happens in the ACC without Notre Dame being included. The second choice is Texas. This is not really the league's choice but a possible placement by ESPN. If the Cowboys can play in a division with the Giants, Eagles and Redskins then I guess the Longhorns can fit into the ACC. The third candidate is Cincinnati. Location, Location, Location.....and don't mention UConn, the NYC market is fool's gold for the ACC, fortunately Swofford & Co. know this and have chosen to stay away.
There you have it for the ACC: Notre Dame and Texas or Notre Dame and Cincinnati.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - AllTideUp - 10-10-2015 02:28 PM

(10-09-2015 06:10 AM)XLance Wrote:  

At this point , after all of the talk and speculation, the ACC probably has only three expansion candidates. The first is Notre Dame. Nothing happens in the ACC without Notre Dame being included. The second choice is Texas. This is not really the league's choice but a possible placement by ESPN. If the Cowboys can play in a division with the Giants, Eagles and Redskins then I guess the Longhorns can fit into the ACC. The third candidate is Cincinnati. Location, Location, Location.....and don't mention UConn, the NYC market is fool's gold for the ACC, fortunately Swofford & Co. know this and have chosen to stay away.
There you have it for the ACC: Notre Dame and Texas or Notre Dame and Cincinnati.

I can see that. There are a ton of Notre Dame fans in OH and a Cincinnati addition would be able to capitalize on that if the ACC gets a network.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - ren.hoek - 10-12-2015 01:24 PM

(10-10-2015 02:28 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

I can see that. There are a ton of Notre Dame fans in OH and a Cincinnati addition would be able to capitalize on that if the ACC gets a network.

i'll offer another scenario. it is a fact that ACC expansion will begin with ND. however, what if ESPN gathered all 28 ACC and SEC schools in a room and made the following proposal:

1. ND joins ACC

2. Kentucky moves from ACC to SEC, creating a basketball conference that nearly makes my head explode just thinking about it.

3. SEC adds three from the Big12-4+2 (note: I assume that Texas will not go to the SEC): Oklahoma, Okie State and Kansas

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 10-12-2015 03:22 PM

(10-12-2015 01:24 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  

i'll offer another scenario. it is a fact that ACC expansion will begin with ND. however, what if ESPN gathered all 28 ACC and SEC schools in a room and made the following proposal:

1. ND joins ACC

2. Kentucky moves from ACC to SEC, creating a basketball conference that nearly makes my head explode just thinking about it.

3. SEC adds three from the Big12-4+2 (note: I assume that Texas will not go to the SEC): Oklahoma, Okie State and Kansas

Uhm, no! You have Louisville. How about we see if Vanderbilt wants to move to the ACC and then we consider it, but only if Vandy is so inclined. Otherwise we simply wait on who we want.

Now if the ACC and SEC stay intact how about we just add what we need. You guys take West Virginia and we'll take Oklahoma and either Texas or Kansas.

I know what the message board posters say and what the Texas rhetoric is but ask yourself this question, "Do the Horns really want to move to the PAC for less money? Do the Horns really want to move to the Big 10 and become an afterthought in their own state? Or do the Horns and their fans want to play Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri and A&M again in a division with L.S.U., Ole Miss and Miss State all within easy driving distance and without Alabama and Auburn who would move East?" Then you'll have your answer.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - ren.hoek - 10-12-2015 03:53 PM

(10-12-2015 03:22 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

1. ND joins ACC

Uhm, no! You have Louisville. How about we see if Vanderbilt wants to move to the ACC and then we consider it, but only if Vandy is so inclined. Otherwise we simply wait on who we want.

Now if the ACC and SEC stay intact how about we just add what we need. You guys take West Virginia and we'll take Oklahoma and either Texas or Kansas.

I know what the message board posters say and what the Texas rhetoric is but ask yourself this question, "Do the Horns really want to move to the PAC for less money? Do the Horns really want to move to the Big 10 and become an afterthought in their own state? Or do the Horns and their fans want to play Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri and A&M again in a division with L.S.U., Ole Miss and Miss State all within easy driving distance and without Alabama and Auburn who would move East?" Then you'll have your answer.

Can't see WV ever getting an ACC invite, even with ND as a partner. ND darn sure won't be their advocate either.

The ACC 16 will be ND + Texas or ND + Cincy. The football faction will never accept UConn and the Tobacco Road crowd will never accept WV. Cincy is the compromise candidate if Texas won't come. That way, Texas-aTm becomes another ACC-SEC rivalry.

The SEC could then take two from the Big12-4+2. OU + KU would be plan A and OU + Okie State would be plan B.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 10-12-2015 04:51 PM

(10-12-2015 03:53 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  
(10-09-2015 06:10 AM)XLance Wrote:  At this point , after all of the talk and speculation, the ACC probably has only three expansion candidates. The first is Notre Dame. Nothing happens in the ACC without Notre Dame being included. The second choice is Texas. This is not really the league's choice but a possible placement by ESPN. If the Cowboys can play in a division with the Giants, Eagles and Redskins then I guess the Longhorns can fit into the ACC. The third candidate is Cincinnati. Location, Location, Location.....and don't mention UConn, the NYC market is fool's gold for the ACC, fortunately Swofford & Co. know this and have chosen to stay away.

1. ND joins ACC

Can't see WV ever getting an ACC invite, even with ND as a partner. ND darn sure won't be their advocate either.

The ACC 16 will be ND + Texas or ND + Cincy. The football faction will never accept UConn and the Tobacco Road crowd will never accept WV. Cincy is the compromise candidate if Texas won't come. That way, Texas-aTm becomes another ACC-SEC rivalry.

The SEC could then take two from the Big12-4+2. OU + KU would be plan A and OU + Okie State would be plan B.

Yeah. Xlance has explained that concept. I don't think it is what the SEC wants so much as it what ESPN wants us to want. That said the final scenario would be acceptable, not preferable. But that should be good enough.

Now for the important stuff, "How's your daughter doing?" I was happy to have her and your family in my prayers. I followed the thread to know that she came through the surgery fine, I just wanted to know how she's progressed since.

If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and... - ren.hoek - 10-12-2015 09:45 PM

(10-12-2015 04:51 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-10-2015 02:28 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I can see that. There are a ton of Notre Dame fans in OH and a Cincinnati addition would be able to capitalize on that if the ACC gets a network.

1. ND joins ACC

Yeah. Xlance has explained that concept. I don't think it is what the SEC wants so much as it what ESPN wants us to want. That said the final scenario would be acceptable, not preferable. But that should be good enough.

Now for the important stuff, "How's your daughter doing?" I was happy to have her and your family in my prayers. I followed the thread to know that she came through the surgery fine, I just wanted to know how she's progressed since.

You're a good man, JR. She is sweeter than sweet tea and doing great. Babies are growing so much that they tend to recover quickly from surgery. It has made a huge difference in her sleeping, movement, crawling, and so many other things. It was amazing to see her smiling and cutting up just two days after neurosurgery. Perhaps the funniest part was when we returned home after checking out of the hospital. Her 4 year old brother (who was staying with my parents) runs out to see her. She looks at him and immediately blows raspberries in his face. We appreciate the continuing prayers. She'll have a normal quality of life, but there will be a few medical issues here and there. The coolest thing about being the parent of a little person is that you have a gloriously unique child with a normal intellect and life expectancy. As a parent, you just can't ask for more than that.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 10-12-2015 09:53 PM

(10-12-2015 09:45 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 04:51 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(10-12-2015 01:24 PM)ren.hoek Wrote:  i'll offer another scenario. it is a fact that ACC expansion will begin with ND. however, what if ESPN gathered all 28 ACC and SEC schools in a room and made the following proposal:

1. ND joins ACC

You're a good man, JR. She is sweeter than sweet tea and doing great. Babies are growing so much that they tend to recover quickly from surgery. It has made a huge difference in her sleeping, movement, crawling, and so many other things. It was amazing to see her smiling and cutting up just two days after neurosurgery. Perhaps the funniest part was when we returned home after checking out of the hospital. Her 4 year old brother (who was staying with my parents) runs out to see her. She looks at him and immediately blows raspberries in his face. We appreciate the continuing prayers. She'll have a normal quality of life, but there will be a few medical issues here and there. The coolest thing about being the parent of a little person is that you have a gloriously unique child with a normal intellect and life expectancy. As a parent, you just can't ask for more than that.

Sounds to me that she has some pretty outstanding parents as well. Loved the update! Thanks.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 10-13-2015 11:15 PM

96 pages into this thread, speculation about almost every angle and Big 12 school, and what does the Big 12 have that would bring value to the SEC? Oklahoma & Texas and to a lesser extent Kansas.

If the SEC landed Oklahoma and Texas they will have added to the two highest content value schools left in realignment.

What should we do to get them if they can't leave little brothers behind? Take little brother.

Oklahoma State, choose one (Baylor or Texas Tech) would move us to 18 and 3 divisions of 6. If Texas is not an option then OU, KU, OSU, KState might (I said might) be workable.

And yes, I support just OU with OSU if necessary. Yes that duplicates a small market, but with two schools which are among the top 30 grossing schools in the nation, and with two schools that could each play an annual game in Dallas along with A&M making the Big D SEC country.

RE:If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - BewareThePhog - 10-14-2015 10:26 AM

OU/OSU is not a bad add. Like you say, it's duplicative in market, but quality, nationally recognized brands are rare.

Despite Stoops' recent stumbles, OU is still a prime brand, and membership in the SEC would enhance that. OSU may not be a top-tier brand, but at the same time that can be good from the perspective of schools like Georgia, Tennessee, Texas A&M, and Missouri, because while it's good to bolster the overall strength of the conference, adding too much firepower would put individual school's brands in jeopardy of being pushed back into the pack a bit. Add one premier brand and one complementary one, and you have a good combination. (I think that's one reason why OU and KU are often paired in speculative additions, whether it be the B1G or SEC - because that's two big brands, but one is football and the other basketball, so they could add to a conference's reputation without the likelihood of causing major erosion to current schools' success.)

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - XLance - 10-14-2015 12:18 PM

(10-13-2015 11:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  96 pages into this thread, speculation about almost every angle and Big 12 school, and what does the Big 12 have that would bring value to the SEC? Oklahoma & Texas and to a lesser extent Kansas.

If the SEC landed Oklahoma and Texas they will have added to the two highest content value schools left in realignment.

What should we do to get them if they can't leave little brothers behind? Take little brother.

Oklahoma State, choose one (Baylor or Texas Tech) would move us to 18 and 3 divisions of 6. If Texas is not an option then OU, KU, OSU, KState might (I said might) be workable.

And yes, I support just OU with OSU if necessary. Yes that duplicates a small market, but with two schools which are among the top 30 grossing schools in the nation, and with two schools that could each play an annual game in Dallas along with A&M making the Big D SEC country.

And JR this brings us back to where we have clashed before.
It does not seem as if ANYBODY wants to go beyond 16. I think that that is a given no matter how attractive the 3 x 6 model appears.
There is no doubt that the folks at ESPN would be doing cartwheels if Oklahoma and Texas would join the SEC for a multitude of reasons (mostly $$$$ signs). But and that's a big BUT Oklahoma State had to be a part, it is my understanding that it is possible that a SEC east team may be "transferred" into the ACC as #16 provided that Notre Dame would be #15. Cast in stone? Nope, just one of the multitudes of scenarios that have been discussed between the ACC, SEC and ESPN.
Does it make sense for the Texas ego? Heck no, but it does make sense on so many levels, especially for the fans. What does not make sense, is Texas playing conference games on the east coast when A&M, Oklahoma, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma State are so close.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - AllTideUp - 10-14-2015 01:40 PM

(10-14-2015 12:18 PM)XLance Wrote:  
(10-13-2015 11:15 PM)JRsec Wrote:  96 pages into this thread, speculation about almost every angle and Big 12 school, and what does the Big 12 have that would bring value to the SEC? Oklahoma & Texas and to a lesser extent Kansas.

And JR this brings us back to where we have clashed before.
It does not seem as if ANYBODY wants to go beyond 16. I think that that is a given no matter how attractive the 3 x 6 model appears.
There is no doubt that the folks at ESPN would be doing cartwheels if Oklahoma and Texas would join the SEC for a multitude of reasons (mostly $$$$ signs). But and that's a big BUT Oklahoma State had to be a part, it is my understanding that it is possible that a SEC east team may be "transferred" into the ACC as #16 provided that Notre Dame would be #15. Cast in stone? Nope, just one of the multitudes of scenarios that have been discussed between the ACC, SEC and ESPN.
Does it make sense for the Texas ego? Heck no, but it does make sense on so many levels, especially for the fans. What does not make sense, is Texas playing conference games on the east coast when A&M, Oklahoma, LSU, Arkansas, Missouri, and Oklahoma State are so close.

1. I don't see why anyone would want to leave the SEC right now.

2. The only member of the SEC East(other than Mizzou) that is not a founding member is South Carolina. Each of the Eastern schools fit into the SEC perfectly.

3. They make more money in the SEC.

This is why I would say that if the ACC is looking for expansion options then looking to the Midwest/Texas is the way to go. I can understand the reasons for not wanting WVU or UConn, but snagging an SEC team is just not an option.

I'd be looking at Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma State, TCU, Baylor...they all fit the ACC profile to one extent or the other.

It will be interesting if ND comes along, but I don't think it's going to happen soon.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - AllTideUp - 10-14-2015 03:38 PM

I have to question the wisdom of 3x6 divisions. The problem will be that you have to sacrifice rivalries no matter how you align them.

If we go to 18 and a conference semi-final then I think we should go division-less. Here's a model with the addition of the Texahoma 4:

Alabama's rivals: Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State

Arkansas's rivals: LSU, Missouri, Texas A&M, Ole Miss

Auburn's rivals: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi State

Florida's rivals: Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina

Georgia's rivals: Florida, Auburn, Kentucky, South Carolina

Kentucky's rivals: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, South Carolina

LSU's rivals: Texas A&M, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama

Ole Miss' rivals: Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt

Mississippi State's rivals: Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M

Missouri's rivals: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech

Oklahoma's rivals: Oklahoma State, Texas, Missouri, Texas Tech

Oklahoma State's rivals: Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Missouri

South Carolina's rivals: Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

Tennessee's rivals: Alabama, Florida, Vanderbilt, Kentucky

Texas' rivals: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech

Texas A&M's rivals: Texas, LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi State

Texas Tech's rivals: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Missouri

Vanderbilt's rivals: Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Carolina

4 permanent rivals

That leaves 13 teams remaining to play. If you rotate the other 5 games then you can play everyone at least once during a 3 year period and 2 of those teams you'll play twice. Not bad for keeping everything fresh and yet maintaining the frequency of opponents.

As an aside, you could have Texas Tech and Missouri play in Dallas every year. It would be great for recruiting and would lock down that market for the SEC with 3 annual neutral site games there...UT and OU, A&M and Arkansas, TT and Mizzou

The top 4 teams will qualify for a conference playoff.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - murrdcu - 10-14-2015 11:39 PM

(10-14-2015 03:38 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  I have to question the wisdom of 3x6 divisions. The problem will be that you have to sacrifice rivalries no matter how you align them.

If we go to 18 and a conference semi-final then I think we should go division-less. Here's a model with the addition of the Texahoma 4:

Alabama's rivals: Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, Mississippi State

Arkansas's rivals: LSU, Missouri, Texas A&M, Ole Miss

Auburn's rivals: Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mississippi State

Florida's rivals: Georgia, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina

Georgia's rivals: Florida, Auburn, Kentucky, South Carolina

Kentucky's rivals: Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Georgia, South Carolina

LSU's rivals: Texas A&M, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Alabama

Ole Miss' rivals: Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas, Vanderbilt

Mississippi State's rivals: Ole Miss, Alabama, Auburn, Texas A&M

Missouri's rivals: Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech

Oklahoma's rivals: Oklahoma State, Texas, Missouri, Texas Tech

Oklahoma State's rivals: Oklahoma, Texas, Texas Tech, Missouri

South Carolina's rivals: Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt

Tennessee's rivals: Alabama, Florida, Vanderbilt, Kentucky

Texas' rivals: Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech

Texas A&M's rivals: Texas, LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi State

Texas Tech's rivals: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Missouri

Vanderbilt's rivals: Tennessee, Kentucky, Ole Miss, South Carolina

4 permanent rivals

That leaves 13 teams remaining to play. If you rotate the other 5 games then you can play everyone at least once during a 3 year period and 2 of those teams you'll play twice. Not bad for keeping everything fresh and yet maintaining the frequency of opponents.

As an aside, you could have Texas Tech and Missouri play in Dallas every year. It would be great for recruiting and would lock down that market for the SEC with 3 annual neutral site games there...UT and OU, A&M and Arkansas, TT and Mizzou

The top 4 teams will qualify for a conference playoff.

I like that format, but with 16 teams.