CSNbbs
If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SECbbs (/forum-285.html)
+---- Forum: SEC Conference Talk (/forum-246.html)
+---- Thread: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? (/thread-639096.html)

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - jml2010 - 02-02-2014 10:51 PM

(12-12-2013 02:40 PM)Phlipper33 Wrote:  Where would Texas Tech go in these scenarios? I could see the state legislature eventually allowing UT and Tech to leave TCU and Baylor behind if it meant more money for the two publics, but I don't see UT getting to leave without Tech finding a solid landing ground.

OU, OSU, Tech, and either Kansas or West Virginia to the SEC? Could Tech tag along with UT to the ACC? I'd think the SEC would be the more likely possibility for Tech than the ACC.

We(Tech) have a loud, loyal passionate fanbase but culturally we don't fit the SEC. We are to far west and I think Eastern SEC teams would hate traveling to Lubbock.

Culturally our best fit is the PAC 12. That being said, it would be nice to see Arkansas, LSU, Auburn, Alabama and aggy in Jones Stadium.

Regardless, Tech will be fine despite what some g5 fans think( Not directed at you since you are an A&M fan).

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 02-02-2014 10:55 PM

(02-02-2014 10:51 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  
(12-12-2013 02:40 PM)Phlipper33 Wrote:  Where would Texas Tech go in these scenarios? I could see the state legislature eventually allowing UT and Tech to leave TCU and Baylor behind if it meant more money for the two publics, but I don't see UT getting to leave without Tech finding a solid landing ground.

OU, OSU, Tech, and either Kansas or West Virginia to the SEC? Could Tech tag along with UT to the ACC? I'd think the SEC would be the more likely possibility for Tech than the ACC.

We(Tech) have a loud, loyal passionate fanbase but culturally we don't fit the SEC. We are to far west and I think Eastern SEC teams would hate traveling to Lubbock.

Culturally our best fit is the PAC 12. That being said, it would be nice to see Arkansas, LSU, Auburn, Alabama and aggy in Jones Stadium.

Regardless, Tech will be fine despite what some g5 fans think( Not directed at you since you are an A&M fan).

We could opt for another state school and select Tech instead of Baylor, but if all 10 schools are to find new homes Tech and T.C.U. stand a much better chance of getting into the PAC as opposed to Baylor. That's the only reason I listed them in this lineup. I think something like this could get done if none of the 10 Big 12 schools are left out.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - jml2010 - 02-02-2014 11:11 PM

(02-02-2014 10:55 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

We could opt for another state school and select Tech instead of Baylor, but if all 10 schools are to find new homes Tech and T.C.U. stand a much better chance of getting into the PAC as opposed to Baylor. That's the only reason I listed them in this lineup. I think something like this could get done if none of the 10 Big 12 schools are left out.

Adding the the largest(Texas) and 3rd largest (Texas Tech) fan bases in Texas will definitely help the SEC network in Texas. 26 million residents and the 3 largest fan bases in Texas will generate millions in TV revenue.

That being said, I don't think it will happen. Aggy has no love for Tech and I'm not sure Texas will follow little brother to the SEC.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - HeartOfDixie - 02-02-2014 11:13 PM

Having the third best team in a state would be a first for the SEC; that makes it unlikely.

My money is on eastward expansion or none.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 02-02-2014 11:19 PM

(02-02-2014 11:11 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  

Adding the the largest(Texas) and 3rd largest (Texas Tech) fan bases in Texas will definitely help the SEC network in Texas. 26 million residents and the 3 largest fan bases in Texas will generate millions in TV revenue.

That being said, I don't think it will happen. Aggy has no love for Tech and I'm not sure Texas will follow little brother to the SEC.

Read my post again. I have Texas and Oklahoma going to the ACC to form a western division of 6 teams. I put Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas State in that division along with Miami which has to fly to all of their ball games anyway and the distance to Texas and Oklahoma is about the same as going to Virginia and North Carolina. That gives Texas and OU Florida recruiting ties, vastly improves the ACC football profile, and permits them to gain a network and reach economic parity with the SEC & Big 10. So I don't have the Horns or Sooners headed to the SEC. I have Oklahoma State and Kansas headed to the SEC along with Virginia Tech and N.C. State to make room for the 6 team western division. I also have West Virginia going to the ACC.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - jml2010 - 02-02-2014 11:21 PM

(02-02-2014 11:13 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Having the third best team in a state would be a first for the SEC; that makes it unlikely.

What a troll. 3rd largest in Texas is better than some SEC schools. We have plans to expand our stadium to 70K in the near future which would put us in the top 30 in stadium size. I fully admit we will never be as large at UT or A&M but our fan base is nothing to laugh at.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 02-02-2014 11:24 PM

(02-02-2014 11:13 PM)HeartOfDixie Wrote:  Having the third best team in a state would be a first for the SEC; that makes it unlikely.

One might argue that if we took N.C. State the same would be true.

Since the Big 10 will be majority FOX property, and the PAC is self owned with split leases, I just don't see ESPN wanting any top properties in either. And since FOX owns about 50% of the Big 12 the biggest business coup for the corporate mouse would be to place 8 (enough to dissolve) in the ACC and SEC so that they completely own that product. How to do that equitably is the trick. It makes sense for the ACC to add some major football props and get a network in the process. To make room for a Western division ESPN could encourage them to jettison two properties to the SEC. The SEC picks up two new Western properties and the Eastern states we want. We get 19 million new viewers they get 38 million new viewers. We become the two most dominant football conferences in the nation and partner with each other for the Sugar Bowl and pick up some of the Big 12's former bowl slots enhancing revenue further. It would be a corporately smart thing for ESPN to enhance both.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - jml2010 - 02-02-2014 11:27 PM

(02-02-2014 11:19 PM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 11:11 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  

Read my post again. I have Texas and Oklahoma going to the ACC to form a western division of 6 teams. I put Baylor, Iowa State and Kansas State in that division along with Miami which has to fly to all of their ball games anyway and the distance to Texas and Oklahoma is about the same as going to Virginia and North Carolina. That gives Texas and OU Florida recruiting ties, vastly improves the ACC football profile, and permits them to gain a network and reach economic parity with the SEC & Big 10. So I don't have the Horns or Sooners headed to the SEC. I have Oklahoma State and Kansas headed to the SEC along with Virginia Tech and N.C. State to make room for the 6 team western division. I also have West Virginia going to the ACC.

Sorry, I missed that part.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - HeartOfDixie - 02-02-2014 11:37 PM

(02-02-2014 11:21 PM)jml2010 Wrote:  

What a troll. 3rd largest in Texas is better than some SEC schools. We have plans to expand our stadium to 70K in the near future which would put us in the top 30 in stadium size. I fully admit we will never be as large at UT or A&M but our fan base is nothing to laugh at.

Y'all are in about the same place as Miss St.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - HeartOfDixie - 02-02-2014 11:39 PM

(02-02-2014 11:24 PM)JRsec Wrote:  

One might argue that if we took N.C. State the same would be true.

Since the Big 10 will be majority FOX property, and the PAC is self owned with split leases, I just don't see ESPN wanting any top properties in either. And since FOX owns about 50% of the Big 12 the biggest business coup for the corporate mouse would be to place 8 (enough to dissolve) in the ACC and SEC so that they completely own that product. How to do that equitably is the trick. It makes sense for the ACC to add some major football props and get a network in the process. To make room for a Western division ESPN could encourage them to jettison two properties to the SEC. The SEC picks up two new Western properties and the Eastern states we want. We get 19 million new viewers they get 38 million new viewers. We become the two most dominant football conferences in the nation and partner with each other for the Sugar Bowl and pick up some of the Big 12's former bowl slots enhancing revenue further. It would be a corporately smart thing for ESPN to enhance both.

That's true.

An SEC ACC partnership makes sense because the two Conferences share a lot.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - USAFMEDIC - 02-02-2014 11:39 PM

Heart Of Dixie is anything but a troll on the SEC board. Tech is just a geographical impossibility for the SEC. I love Tech, but they do belong in the PAC if anywhere...

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - HeartOfDixie - 02-02-2014 11:54 PM

It's a crappy situation for anybody not named Texas in the Big12 right now. The viability of the conference hinges on them and the best spot in the nation for schools like Tech, Baylor, etc is right where they are.

I do have to say that while it may seem unstable and as if the SEC, PAC, or Big10 could pounce on a vulnerable Big12 I don't think it's all that likely from a purely political standpoint. JR is far better versed than just about everybody else on the networks and such but in the purely political stance being the dominant member in a P5 conference is an enviable position for any program. It's that fact that makes me think that the Big12 is much more stable than it may seem at s glance.

What that means for the SEC is either an eastward glance or a settling out. As a conference I think we're in fantastic position since we don't have to be terribly proactive and our geographic, cultural, and financial ties make us a conference those in the so called unstable conferences would like to be a part of. Being able to sit back and wait for something to pop off and then be able to turn any situation to our advantage is a situation no other conference can really say they are in.

It's good to be the best. (A little self agrandizing never hurts)

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - jml2010 - 02-03-2014 12:07 AM

(02-02-2014 11:39 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

Heart Of Dixie is anything but a troll on the SEC board. Tech is just a geographical impossibility for the SEC. I love Tech, but they do belong in the PAC if anywhere...

We will agree to disagree on dixie but I do agree the PAC 12 is the best option for us. The Big 12 is a joke and I have said it many times. I have grown tired of the constant crying from cincy/ houston fans thinking they deserve a shot. No other P5 conference will take them and they think the Big 12 owes them an invite. When the Big 12 dies those fans can find a new conference to beg.

That said, I hope we end up in the PAC. Most Tech grads live in Houston, DFW, Austin etc but our location in Texas is better suited for the PAC.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 02-03-2014 12:22 AM

(02-03-2014 12:07 AM)jml2010 Wrote:  
(02-02-2014 11:39 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

We will agree to disagree on dixie but I do agree the PAC 12 is the best option for us. The Big 12 is a joke and I have said it many times. I have grown tired of the constant crying from cincy/ houston fans thinking they deserve a shot. No other P5 conference will take them and they think the Big 12 owes them an invite. When the Big 12 dies those fans can find a new conference to beg.

That said, I hope we end up in the PAC. Most Tech grads live in Houston, DFW, Austin etc but our location in Texas is better suited for the PAC.

I agree. And as far as H.O.D. is concerned you called him a troll. He didn't call you one. I like you both, but no name calling on the SEC board. We want to keep discussions, not smack, going.

The only really reasonable solution to realignment will never happen. It would be for the 4 California schools, Colorado, and Washington to move to the Big 10. That would free the rest to add enough Western schools plus part of the Big 12 to form a 20 team Western conference. But, apparently the PAC will remain schyzophrenic with half of them being typical Western schools trying to meet the needs of their states and the other half although very strong academically pretending to be as exclusionary as the Ivy League.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - jhawkmvp - 02-03-2014 01:43 AM

One thing to remember is TCU was just recently elevated and are a small private. They could be left out of a power conference without too much political backlash and only 8 schools are needed to dissolve the B12. The PAC might decide that SMU (Dallas like TCU) or Houston is more valuable than TCU and Texas would still keep 5 schools in power conferences. If another Texas school is elevated to take TCU's place in a power conference then the status quo is maintained. Houston might be the pick if the PAC objects to religious schools. TCU is probably the most valuable of the 3 to the networks, however based upon their success in the MWC and Rose Bowl win a few years ago.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 02-03-2014 01:53 AM

(02-03-2014 01:43 AM)jhawkmvp Wrote:  

One thing to remember is TCU was just recently elevated and are a small private. They could be left out of a power conference without too much political backlash and only 8 schools are needed to dissolve the B12. The PAC might decide that SMU (Dallas like TCU) or Houston is more valuable than TCU and Texas would still keep 5 schools in power conferences. If another Texas school is elevated to take TCU's place in a power conference then the status quo is maintained. Houston might be the pick if the PAC objects to religious schools. TCU is probably the most valuable of the 3 to the networks, however based upon their success in the MWC and Rose Bowl win a few years ago.

That's a very good point. SMU's academics are better and they have a billion dollar athletic endowment to work with.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - jhawkmvp - 02-03-2014 02:57 AM

Assuming you could land them, Kansas and Oklahoma would be the best adds IMO.

Texas really seems to not like the SEC at least at the admin level (a lot of fans would love it). The SEC already has the state of Texas through A&M. Texas also would have the least power in the SEC (compared to other conferences) because the SEC is full of football powers who fill giant stadiums. TV money is less important to them than the B12 were only a couple of schools have large stadiums (OU and UT) and TV money is a much larger part of the AD budget. Those schools don't need Texas to help fill their coffers. Therefore, Texas would not be king of the SEC and Texas likes being King. Texas would probably go independent if this happens and the SEC would get match-ups with them through games with A&M, OU, and Arkansas OOC and perhaps Kansas in basketball. As an independent they will need to fill their schedule even if they have a ND deal with the ACC or rebuilt B12 for a few games each year.

OU is a helmet program who gets you big national football rating match ups with current SEC programs while being a school who would fit in culturally with the SEC. New markets. Great pull in OK and as far south as Dallas in Texas. Almost like taking a second Texas school without taking a second Texas school. It would also be UT's worst nightmare having it's 3 largest traditional rivals in the SEC (OU, Arkansas, and A&M).

Kansas is a mirror of Kentucky in basketball. A blue blood basketball powerhouse who competes for titles consistently in basketball and loses consistently in football which is necessary to keep your top FB programs on top. New market, great basketball content for the SEC network and now gives you another national ratings draw in basketball. KU/Kentucky would quickly match UNC/Duke as the most watched basketball rivalries. Huge basketball upgrade which the SEC needs to start getting 7-8 schools into the NCAA tourney yearly by giving schools more national exposure through match ups with Kansas.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - vandiver49 - 02-03-2014 09:46 AM

(02-03-2014 12:22 AM)JRsec Wrote:  The only really reasonable solution to realignment will never happen. It would be for the 4 California schools, Colorado, and Washington to move to the Big 10. That would free the rest to add enough Western schools plus part of the Big 12 to form a 20 team Western conference. But, apparently the PAC will remain schyzophrenic with half of them being typical Western schools trying to meet the needs of their states and the other half although very strong academically pretending to be as exclusionary as the Ivy League.

While this is an amazing and out of the box solution, the PAC is worthless w/o the California schools.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - JRsec - 02-03-2014 10:51 AM

(02-03-2014 09:46 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 12:22 AM)JRsec Wrote:  The only really reasonable solution to realignment will never happen. It would be for the 4 California schools, Colorado, and Washington to move to the Big 10. That would free the rest to add enough Western schools plus part of the Big 12 to form a 20 team Western conference. But, apparently the PAC will remain schyzophrenic with half of them being typical Western schools trying to meet the needs of their states and the other half although very strong academically pretending to be as exclusionary as the Ivy League.

While this is an amazing and out of the box solution, the PAC is worthless w/o the California schools.

You didn't read enough of earlier exchanges (Last Post Page 40). The New PAC would be something like this:
North: Boise State, Fresno State, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State
West: Arizona, Arizona State, Nevada, San Diego State, Hawaii
South: Brigham Young, New Mexico, Texas Tech, Utah, Wyoming
East: Baylor, Colorado State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, T.C.U.

Without the academic snobbery the West opens up to other possibilities.

Then the Eastern schools could consolidate a bit further with Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Add Connecticut, Cincinnati, South or Central Florida, Temple, Tulane, Rice and perhaps East Carolina and you would have enough for the SEC and ACC to expand out of as the Big 10 would be done at 20. That is the only way to a 4 x 20 model that would make some sense. It's still not my favorite solution but it sure opens up many more potentialities.

RE: If the SEC did expand again and did so from the Big 12 who should we take and why? - jhawkmvp - 02-05-2014 12:22 AM

(02-03-2014 10:51 AM)JRsec Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 09:46 AM)vandiver49 Wrote:  

You didn't read enough of earlier exchanges (Last Post Page 40). The New PAC would be something like this:
North: Boise State, Fresno State, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington State
West: Arizona, Arizona State, Nevada, San Diego State, Hawaii
South: Brigham Young, New Mexico, Texas Tech, Utah, Wyoming
East: Baylor, Colorado State, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, T.C.U.

Without the academic snobbery the West opens up to other possibilities.

Then the Eastern schools could consolidate a bit further with Iowa State, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Add Connecticut, Cincinnati, South or Central Florida, Temple, Tulane, Rice and perhaps East Carolina and you would have enough for the SEC and ACC to expand out of as the Big 10 would be done at 20. That is the only way to a 4 x 20 model that would make some sense. It's still not my favorite solution but it sure opens up many more potentialities.

A question for the SEC guys. Sorry if it was discussed earlier, but it is a pretty long thread so I read the most recent 5 pages or so. Would the SEC consider being the first conference to 20 schools? The B1G has talked openly about 16 not being a barrier and that 20 might be their endgame. The SEC seems more close lipped. Most talk I hear about the SEC always centers on adding 2 more schools and stopping; whereas, I see a lot of speculation about the B1G at 20. Seems to me if your rival wants to try to grab all the best properties you would want to beat them to the punch. The PAC almost pulled this off in 2010 by being the first to 16, but failed. Would the SEC go to 20 if they had a shot at the trio of UT, OU, and KU (maybe WVU as well) and say another 2-3 schools from the ACC? Or is 16 the stopping point unless someone else goes beyond it first?