CSNbbs
Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? (/thread-636868.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - GoApps70 - 06-16-2013 06:44 AM

What Division 1 QB - Starting QB - is the shortest QB?

Some say Ben Dupree of The Citadel is the shortest at between 5'7" and 5'8". He may be short, but he sure is fast and elusive.
[Image: avatar3576_1_zpsb7dee20f.png]

Does anyone know of a shorter current QB in Division One?

http://www.whptv.com/content/Archive/story/College-footballs-shortest-QB-Dupree-amazes/EJVJI1OlUUiw80n-O-isdw.cspx

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - GSU Eagles - 06-16-2013 07:53 AM

Our QB is 5'9" 225 and a legit 4.4 guy. I'm sure he will get a shot at the nfl as a rb as a undrafted free agent next year.

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - MTPiKapp - 06-16-2013 09:02 AM

(06-16-2013 07:53 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Our QB is 5'9" 225 and a legit 4.4 guy. I'm sure he will get a shot at the nfl as a rb as a undrafted free agent next year.

That's something that's thrown around quite a bit here and rarely turns out to be true. Seems every year there are a ton of Sun Belt signees who are supposedly 4.34 guys, almost always false. We had a quarterback from Folkston who ran for a ton of yards and outran a bunch of guys, I think his 40 time was like 4.56. I'm not saying your quarterback, who I watched a bit of against UGA(last year?) and appears to have great speed, is not a "legit 4.4 guy" but the only 40 times I take seriously are at the draft combine, seems in year's past there are more supposed 4.4 and lower guysbeing touted on this board on signing day than there are at the combine in any given year.

Re: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - Ole Sleepy - 06-16-2013 09:44 AM

I understand your skepticism, as many folks use that "legit 4.4" too liberally, but he is a true workout freak. 4.4 speed, killer agility, can bench 225 more times than just about anyone on the team last year. He's a quicker version of Maurice Jones Drew.

As for OP, I would imagine El Cid's QB has to be the shortest in D1.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - nsavandal09 - 06-16-2013 12:31 PM

(06-16-2013 09:02 AM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  
(06-16-2013 07:53 AM)GSU Eagles Wrote:  Our QB is 5'9" 225 and a legit 4.4 guy. I'm sure he will get a shot at the nfl as a rb as a undrafted free agent next year.

That's something that's thrown around quite a bit here and rarely turns out to be true. Seems every year there are a ton of Sun Belt signees who are supposedly 4.34 guys, almost always false. We had a quarterback from Folkston who ran for a ton of yards and outran a bunch of guys, I think his 40 time was like 4.56. I'm not saying your quarterback, who I watched a bit of against UGA(last year?) and appears to have great speed, is not a "legit 4.4 guy" but the only 40 times I take seriously are at the draft combine, seems in year's past there are more supposed 4.4 and lower guysbeing touted on this board on signing day than there are at the combine in any given year.

That's because you're comparing a guy running in a tshirt and shorts in a straight line for 40 yards to a guy wearing pads and carrying a football zig zagging across the field. Instincts, football iq and taking the right angles will let a 4.55 linebacker run down a 4.2 running back all day long.

As far as the draft combine argument I suspect it's all about sample size and maturity. If you take a batch of 2500 FBS commits and even more prospects you will have a tiny percentage run a legit sub 4.4. Take only 250 guys to the combine and odds are you will have less speedy guys even if they are elite athletes. Plus remember that bodies change a lot in 4 or 5 years. A running back who runs 4.3 as a 160 pound high schooler can retain the same strength that enables that speed, but if he 30 or pounds to his frame that weight is going to slow him down. I believe there are different timing rules for when the clock starts whether it's a starting gun, first movement or when he crosses the starting line.

In either case speed is probably the most overrated measure of talent out there, just like recruiting rankings are pretty much worthless, but it is fun to talk about.

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - MTPiKapp - 06-16-2013 04:40 PM

(06-16-2013 09:44 AM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  I understand your skepticism, as many folks use that "legit 4.4" too liberally, but he is a true workout freak. 4.4 speed, killer agility, can bench 225 more times than just about anyone on the team last year. He's a quicker version of Maurice Jones Drew.

...03-lmfao...

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - panama - 06-16-2013 10:42 PM

I just ran a legit 4.34 up the stairs...

04-rock

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - Louisianafanrcajun90 - 06-16-2013 10:55 PM

(06-16-2013 10:42 PM)panama Wrote:  

I just ran a legit 4.34 up the stairs...

04-rock

Drew Bres is only six feet tall. Not sure about college QB's.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfls-best-short-quarterbacks-time-143613195--nfl.html

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - eagleskins - 06-17-2013 02:28 AM

McKinnon is a 4.3 guy. Now, will he run a 4.3 at the combine? Who knows. But, he is without a doubt the strongest QB in the country. He is going to be a very high draft pick at running back.

Re: RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - Ole Sleepy - 06-17-2013 07:08 AM

(06-16-2013 04:40 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  
(06-16-2013 09:44 AM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  I understand your skepticism, as many folks use that "legit 4.4" too liberally, but he is a true workout freak. 4.4 speed, killer agility, can bench 225 more times than just about anyone on the team last year. He's a quicker version of Maurice Jones Drew.

...03-lmfao...

I'm dead serious. I will get the exact numbers, but he is one of the strongest guys on our team, including lineman.

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - TrueBlueAlum - 06-17-2013 07:51 AM

Guys... don't hijack the thread to talk about our QB, nobody cares. If he's not the shortest in Division 1 his name shouldn't even be mentioned on this thread again.

As for the OP, Ben Dupree from The Citadel is listed at 5'9. I know ESPN has Johnny Football listed at 6'1... but he looks REALLY small on the field, at least on TV.

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - GoApps70 - 06-17-2013 08:04 AM

(06-17-2013 07:51 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  Guys... don't hijack the thread to talk about our QB, nobody cares. If he's not the shortest in Division 1 his name shouldn't even be mentioned on this thread again.

As for the OP, Ben Dupree from The Citadel is listed at 5'9. I know ESPN has Johnny Football listed at 6'1... but he looks REALLY small on the field, at least on TV.

In the video in the article they measured Ben Dupree between 5'7" and 5'8", like almost all players he is listed taller than he is.

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - TrueBlueAlum - 06-17-2013 08:30 AM

(06-17-2013 08:04 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  
(06-17-2013 07:51 AM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  Guys... don't hijack the thread to talk about our QB, nobody cares. If he's not the shortest in Division 1 his name shouldn't even be mentioned on this thread again.

In the video in the article they measured Ben Dupree between 5'7" and 5'8", like almost all players he is listed taller than he is.

For sure.

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - MTPiKapp - 06-17-2013 09:30 AM

(06-17-2013 07:08 AM)Ole Sleepy Wrote:  
(06-16-2013 04:40 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  

...03-lmfao...

I'm dead serious. I will get the exact numbers, but he is one of the strongest guys on our team, including lineman.

I didn't say he wasn't one of the strongest members of your team, but you just said he's a quicker version of one ofthe most electric NFL players of the last decade.

Not to mention the fact that MJD ran a 4.39...

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - BullsFanInTX - 06-17-2013 10:09 AM

For those that think player X runs a legit 4.4...read this article:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/eye-on-college-football/22416576/the-fastest-players-in-college-football-2013

There are few subjects in sports more debated -- and more misunderstood -- than speed. While almost every major sport puts a premium on it, they seem to be unable to settle on a standard by which to accurately measure it.

Football programs at all levels and the media that cover them rely mostly on the 40-yard dash to quantify who is, and who is not, fast. In and of itself, there's nothing wrong with the idea that speed over 40 yards is a valuable asset. The problem is that it is not measured with any semblance of accuracy.

You know the old saying: "To err is human?" That definitely applies to the timing of the 40-yard dash. Almost every 40-yard dash time you've heard attributed to a player was timed by hand, meaning a human digit had a significant influence on its outcome. Even so-called electronically-timed 40-yard dashes require a human to start the clock once the runner begins the race on his own accord.

Studies have shown that such hand-based methods are prone to error and wipe away, on average, at least .24 seconds off the real time of a race. So that "official" 4.35 you think your favorite player ran at the combine? Yeah, it was probably more like a 4.69.
What's more, 40-yard dashes are run under widely disparate conditions. For instance, wind gauges are not used. Some 40s are run on a track, others on grass and still others on artificial turf. Some runners use spikes, while others run in sneakers. This extra bit of unrecorded variation adds even more unreliability to 40 times. Nonetheless, this is rarely taken into account when 40 times are discussed.

Luckily, we have an accurate standard by which to measure speed. It's called Fully Automatic Time, or FAT. This electronic timing method has been required in track for record purposes since 1977. No track time is officially counted as a record -- whether on a personal or world level -- that is not recorded with FAT. Furthermore, the governing bodies of track and field require wind readings and standardized running surfaces at sanctioned track events. The goal is to create uniform conditions so that times all over the world can be compared and contrasted with confidence.

So why doesn't football use FAT for the 40-yard dash? As Rob Rang reported last year, the NFL tried it at the 2012 scouting combine. But the results were kept secret and the FAT timing was dumped in 2013 in favor of a combination of hand and electronic times. Clearly, marketing and hype takes precedent over accuracy at the NFL combine. No one wants to rave about a running back who just ran a 4.7, right?

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - TheRevSWT - 06-17-2013 01:33 PM

Truth.

Seems every year we got a guy or three on our squad who ran a "legit 4.3" or so.

Like the guy in the post above me says, though... it's hand timed, and as such is a bit... generous. Just like all the measurables on a player at a school.

He's not a 6'0 280 lbs lineman who can bench 320... He's 6'3 310 lbs and benches an even 400!

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - eagleskins - 06-18-2013 04:38 AM

It is all a crapshoot. But, the BCS schools are notorious for this type of hyperbole. I remember thUGA would always say how fast their defense is compared to other schools. That defense is slow as hell. Look at the combine numbers.

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - GoApps70 - 06-18-2013 05:07 AM

(06-18-2013 04:38 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  It is all a crapshoot. But, the BCS schools are notorious for this type of hyperbole. I remember thUGA would always say how fast their defense is compared to other schools. That defense is slow as hell. Look at the combine numbers.

Since App State plays Georgia this year, hope you are right about their defense.
[Image: 145_zps11961b40.gif]

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - MTPiKapp - 06-18-2013 09:31 AM

(06-18-2013 04:38 AM)eagleskins Wrote:  It is all a crapshoot. But, the BCS schools are notorious for this type of hyperbole. I remember thUGA would always say how fast their defense is compared to other schools. That defense is slow as hell. Look at the combine numbers.

I think your bias is showing. Slow as hell? They had one linebacker with a really disappointing 40 time at their outdoor pro day and he was still a top 20 pick.

RE: Who Is Shortest Division 1 QB? - MTPiKapp - 06-18-2013 09:34 AM

(06-18-2013 05:07 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  

Since App State plays Georgia this year, hope you are right about their defense.
[Image: 145_zps11961b40.gif]

Even if their defense is "slow as hell"(it isn't), you probably need to worry more about keeping up with their offense.