CSNbbs
ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) (/thread-630736.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - CardinalJim - 04-23-2013 05:09 PM

TSN

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - Kit-Cat - 04-23-2013 05:15 PM

The B1G could still add Missouri and Connecticut if it wanted to, IMO.

There really isn't a reason for the B1G to go bigger than 14 at this point in time. Wait and see how Maryland and Rutgers work out.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - ODUalum78 - 04-23-2013 06:14 PM

The ACC is now stable at 14 (football). No need to expand.
The B1G is now stable at 14. No need to expand.
The SEC is stable at 14. No need to expand
The PAC 12 is stable at 12. No expansion here.
The Big 12 has only 10, and West Virginia could sure use some geographic support. It is certainly possible although I think unlikely, that the Big 12 picks up 1 or 2 more. The most likely are Cincy and/or UConn. In fact, those are the only two that seem likely for any BCS expansion, and even then, UConn is iffy.

The AAC is stable at 12 if UConn and Cincy stay.
The MAC is stable at 13 or could add 1. Would likely stay at 12 if UMass leaves.
The MWC is stable at 10.
CUSA is stable at 14.
Edit: The SBC will have 11 football members. It likely will add a 12th from the ranks of the FCS.

IMHO
I think we are almost done with realignment.

The Big 12 stays at 10; by order of UTexas 05-stirthepot

The only near-future movement could be an add to the MAC from CUSA or the SBC; or the MAC could add JMU or Delaware instead.

If the 12m revenue cap is enacted, only the SBC makes any moves at all, and that would be one additional (to 12 football) from the FCS.

We're done.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - MWC Tex - 04-23-2013 06:50 PM

The MWC is stable at 12.

The Sunbelt has 11 football teams and looking at FCS for 12th team.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - Kit-Cat - 04-23-2013 06:54 PM

I've said it before but if there was anything that might make some sense is a CUSA breakaway league of 10 teams that was more geographically compact and could contend with the AAC and MWC for the AQ spot.

SWC
1) New Mexico State
2) UTEP
3) UTSA
4) Texas State
5) North Texas
6) Rice
7) Louisiana
8) Louisiana Tech
9) Arkansas State
10) Southern Miss

The facilities and recruiting base are there to be a player among the G5.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - ODUalum78 - 04-23-2013 07:06 PM

(04-23-2013 06:50 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  The MWC is stable at 12.

Oops, right, I'll correct that. Thanks.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - STLfan - 04-23-2013 07:16 PM

(04-23-2013 05:15 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  The B1G could still add Missouri and Connecticut if it wanted to, IMO.

There really isn't a reason for the B1G to go bigger than 14 at this point in time. Wait and see how Maryland and Rutgers work out.

They could add Connecticut but not Missouri. At this point there is no way Mizzou is leaving the SEC for the Big Ten. The fans and more importantly the people with money would never let it happen.

When Mizzou wanted to get into the Big Ten before they were rather unhappy with the conference they were in. Now everyone is thrilled and excited about the SEC. Attendance is up, donations are up, work has started on a 102 million dollar stadium expansion/renovation, The SEC has treated MU great durring the transition, Mizzou was treated as a full equal revenue sharring member from the begining, the conference is getting it's own network, and Mizzou is getting great exposure in one of the fastest growing areas of the country.

Mizzou borders three other SEC states that have 4 other SEC schools. Whenever I see someone on a message board say we don't fit it just makes me wonder if they our familiar with the map of our country. It's not like we are on a geographical island the way West Virginia is.

[Image: Screen_shot_2011-09-08_at_9.47.12_AM.png]

If the Big Ten wants/wanted Missouri they missed thier opportunity. There is no reason to leave a great situation and go through the mess of switching conferences again.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - He1nousOne - 04-23-2013 07:20 PM

If the man is truly speaking the truth and not still speaking in Delanyism than I hereby wave my flag.

04-cheers

Re: RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - ark30inf - 04-23-2013 07:59 PM

(04-23-2013 06:54 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  I've said it before but if there was anything that might make some sense is a CUSA breakaway league of 10 teams that was more geographically compact and could contend with the AAC and MWC for the AQ spot.

SWC
1) New Mexico State
2) UTEP
3) UTSA
4) Texas State
5) North Texas
6) Rice
7) Louisiana
8) Louisiana Tech
9) Arkansas State
10) Southern Miss

Great league. Never happen.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - mj4life - 04-23-2013 09:39 PM

Missouri leaving the SEC would rate among the dumbest moves in the history of sports

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - JRsec - 04-23-2013 09:40 PM

Just because it's over doesn't mean it's over.

1. ESPN will still want to protect product. FOX will still want to acquire product.

2. Networks still gain value with new markets and better content.

3. It is still more profitable for all concerned to reduce the number of conferences to at least 4. More playoff money and more bowl access.

4. A Grant of rights for a conference with 10 teams is easier to dissolves than for a conference of essentially 15. The ACC grant of rights has placed the ball firmly in the court of the Big 12. Now the Big 12 either expands or becomes the new target.

5. If the ACC took two Big 12 teams, the Big 10 two, the SEC two, and the PAC 4 we have 64 + 1.

6. If there is a breakaway of the upper tier teams then look for the absorption of the Big 12 to occur.

7. The absorption of the 5th conference is the only way to balance the PAC with the other three long term.

So I wouldn't dissolve the Realignment Board just yet. But the worm has truly turned for the ACC.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - USAFMEDIC - 04-23-2013 09:49 PM

(04-23-2013 06:14 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  The ACC is now stable at 14 (football). No need to expand.
The Big 12 has only 10, and West Virginia could sure use some geographic support. It is certainly possible although I think unlikely, that the Big 12 picks up 1 or 2 more. The most likely are Cincy and/or UConn. In fact, those are the only two that seem likely for any BCS expansion, and even then, UConn is iffy.

The MAC is stable at 13 or could add 1. Would likely stay at 12 if UMass leaves.
The MWC is stable at 10.
CUSA is stable at 14.
Edit: The SBC will have 11 football members. It likely will add a 12th from the ranks of the FCS.

IMHO

The only near-future movement could be an add to the MAC from CUSA or the SBC; or the MAC could add JMU or Delaware instead.

If the 12m revenue cap is enacted, only the SBC makes any moves at all, and that would be one additional (to 12 football) from the FCS.

We're done.
Yep. This pretty much sums it all up.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - Goldenbuc - 04-23-2013 11:52 PM

I think unless the playoff "requires" a conference championship game and 12 teams to be eligible, then the Big 12 will sit tight. UNLESS....a TV network like FOX comes in and offers a crap load for them to get to 12 and have the conference championship game, again.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - USAFMEDIC - 04-24-2013 02:02 AM

(04-23-2013 06:54 PM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  I've said it before but if there was anything that might make some sense is a CUSA breakaway league of 10 teams that was more geographically compact and could contend with the AAC and MWC for the AQ spot.

SWC
1) New Mexico State
2) UTEP
3) UTSA
4) Texas State
5) North Texas
6) Rice
7) Louisiana
8) Louisiana Tech
9) Arkansas State
10) Southern Miss

Just throw in the Longhorns and Red Raiders and call it a day...07-coffee3

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - BruceMcF - 04-24-2013 03:59 AM

(04-23-2013 07:06 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

You only corrected one. MWC added two to replace SDSU and Boise, then SDSU and Boise didn't leave, bringing the MWC up to 12.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - lew240z - 04-24-2013 07:13 AM

(04-24-2013 02:02 AM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  

SWC
1) New Mexico State
2) UTEP
3) UTSA
4) Texas State
5) North Texas
6) Rice
7) Louisiana
8) Louisiana Tech
9) Arkansas State
10) Southern Miss

Just throw in the Longhorns and Red Raiders and call it a day...07-coffee3

Houston and Baylor, too.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - ODUalum78 - 04-24-2013 07:56 AM

(04-24-2013 03:59 AM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 07:06 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  

You only corrected one. MWC added two to replace SDSU and Boise, then SDSU and Boise didn't leave, bringing the MWC up to 12.

Yeah, I mis-typed that one.
Here are the 12 MWC teams in their respective divisions

Mountain

Air Force Falcons
Boise St. Broncos
Colorado St. Rams
New Mexico Lobos
Utah State Aggies
Wyoming Cowboys

West

Fresno St. Bulldogs
Hawaii Warriors
Nevada Wolf Pack
San Diego St. Aztecs
San Jose St. Spartans
UNLV Rebels

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - ecuacc4ever - 04-24-2013 08:42 AM

Folks are claiming the Big XII will expand, I guess, are assuming DeLoss Dodd (and by extension, Texas) will allow it.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - ODUalum78 - 04-24-2013 08:57 AM

(04-24-2013 08:42 AM)ecuacc4ever Wrote:  Folks are claiming the Big XII will expand, I guess, are assuming DeLoss Dodd (and by extension, Texas) will allow it.

Hehe, yeah, I based my opinion on them not allowing it. 03-lmfao
(04-23-2013 06:14 PM)ODUalum78 Wrote:  The ACC is now stable at 14 (football). No need to expand.

The MWC is stable at 12.
CUSA is stable at 14.

IMHO

We're done.

RE: ACC deal makes Big Ten expansion unlikely, Jim Delany says (Link) - eagleriffic - 04-24-2013 10:08 AM

There is little out there for the big12 to expand with unless they go after aac teams. The pac12 will take texas, tx tech, ou & ok state & move to 16. this allows kansas & maybe k state or west virginia to move into the big10.