CSNbbs
OU Tier 3-$7 million more - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: OU Tier 3-$7 million more (/thread-629480.html)

OU Tier 3-$7 million more - bullet - 04-13-2013 09:52 AM

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/09/17/Media/Oklahoma.aspx

Not a new link, but the first time I've seen it. OU people have been talking about getting $7 million additional for their Tier 3. This is the support for that.

OU was getting $7.5 million from Learfield. Now they will be getting $14-$15 million total. Fox is paying them $58 million over 10 years and Learfield is paying an additional $1 to $2 million as they now have a broader platform to sell ads.

RE: OU Tier 3-$7 million more - USAFMEDIC - 04-13-2013 12:45 PM

(04-13-2013 09:52 AM)bullet Wrote:  http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2012/09/17/Media/Oklahoma.aspx

Not a new link, but the first time I've seen it. OU people have been talking about getting $7 million additional for their Tier 3. This is the support for that.

OU was getting $7.5 million from Learfield. Now they will be getting $14-$15 million total. Fox is paying them $58 million over 10 years and Learfield is paying an additional $1 to $2 million as they now have a broader platform to sell ads.

Shhhh...03-shhhh Don't let the folks in Austin know.

RE: OU Tier 3-$7 million more - Big Frog II - 04-13-2013 01:34 PM

I would have to think FSU could come close to OU's third tier rights.

RE: OU Tier 3-$7 million more - bullet - 04-13-2013 09:50 PM

(04-13-2013 01:34 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  I would have to think FSU could come close to OU's third tier rights.

Funny how circular things are. We've had lots of people saying Tier 3 is worthless and this is a serious report that it is not. The OU people had been talking about $7 million, but I had never seen them link anything credible. The article is 7 months old, but its the first time I had seen it linked. I saw it on the WV board posted by an OU fan (in response to an FSU fan claiming Tier 3 was only worth $1 million a year/school based on the SEC article). Then this evening, I saw someone who got this link from this board and put it back on the WV board!

Texas got $15 million (on top of their existing $10 million contract with IMG).
OU got $7 million (on top of their existing $7.5 million contract with Learfield).
WVU, in a state with 1.8 million people, got $9 million total compared to $4.9 for NCSU, in the 10th largest state in the country, who didn't have TV rights as the ACC owns those.

Its time for people to finally admit Tier 3 TV rights are not worthless.

RE: OU Tier 3-$7 million more - hawghiggs - 04-13-2013 11:22 PM

(04-13-2013 09:50 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(04-13-2013 01:34 PM)Big Frog II Wrote:  I would have to think FSU could come close to OU's third tier rights.

Funny how circular things are. We've had lots of people saying Tier 3 is worthless and this is a serious report that it is not. The OU people had been talking about $7 million, but I had never seen them link anything credible. The article is 7 months old, but its the first time I had seen it linked. I saw it on the WV board posted by an OU fan (in response to an FSU fan claiming Tier 3 was only worth $1 million a year/school based on the SEC article). Then this evening, I saw someone who got this link from this board and put it back on the WV board!

Texas got $15 million (on top of their existing $10 million contract with IMG).
OU got $7 million (on top of their existing $7.5 million contract with Learfield).
WVU, in a state with 1.8 million people, got $9 million total compared to $4.9 for NCSU, in the 10th largest state in the country, who didn't have TV rights as the ACC owns those.

Its time for people to finally admit Tier 3 TV rights are not worthless.
Arkansas got 7-9 million per year several years ago for our Tier 3 rights.