CSNbbs
Finally!!!! - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Inactive Areas (/forum-770.html)
+--- Forum: MVCbbs (/forum-606.html)
+---- Forum: MVC Conference Talk (/forum-607.html)
+----- Forum: MVC Conference Talk (/forum-610.html)
+----- Thread: Finally!!!! (/thread-606516.html)

Pages: 1 2

Finally!!!! - SubGod22 - 12-11-2012 01:47 PM

It's long overdue, but the death of Bracket Busters is official!!!! Good riddance. I know a few MVC teams had looked into opting out of it but were threatened and told that none of their games would appear on ESPN if they did. I'm not sure that this event has done much for the MVC really as it seemed like it was the MVC versus everyone else with everyone else having something to gain and the MVC something to lose. Yes, there were a few exceptions, but for the most part, that's how it seemed.

It'll also be nice to not have what's been mostly a meaningless game thrown in as the conference race is heating up at the finish.

RE: Finally!!!! - Downtown Shocker Brown - 12-14-2012 07:54 PM

Very much agree. Great post!

RE: Finally!!!! - onlinepole - 12-15-2012 05:26 PM

Yep with the strength of MVC hoops, bracket busters not needed for this league

RE: Finally!!!! - Downtown Shocker Brown - 12-17-2012 07:44 PM

It will be interesting to see what kind of games the schools who participated in it replace these games with.

RE: Finally!!!! - SubGod22 - 12-18-2012 02:35 PM

Indeed, the schools need to step up and try to schedule some similar types. I know a number of our opponents were decent, but were games we probably could have bought. I'd like to see some of that and even H/H with similar schools mixed in. But it'll be nice to do it on our terms and not play the game a week before the conference ends... Timing has always sucked.

RE: Finally!!!! - Downtown Shocker Brown - 01-02-2013 10:14 AM

Time for schools wanting to take that next step up to do so and get some exposure.

Would love to see some games scheduled against Big XII.

I hear a couple more SEC teams are looking to possibly do 1-1-1 with MVC teams.

RE: Finally!!!! - SubGod22 - 01-02-2013 12:59 PM

(01-02-2013 10:14 AM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  Time for schools wanting to take that next step up to do so and get some exposure.

Would love to see some games scheduled against Big XII.

I hear a couple more SEC teams are looking to possibly do 1-1-1 with MVC teams.
I really would like to see that. I know Wichita fans would love to see either KU or KSU on the schedule, but I think we should really go after to Oklahoma schools and try to get H/H or even H/H/N in OKC. Or N/N or whatever. As far as the SEC goes, I hadn't heard that but there are defintely some options. I'd love to see something set up with Bama.

RE: Finally!!!! - Downtown Shocker Brown - 01-02-2013 07:56 PM

We were close to terms with a couple schools that would have been great, but couldn't match schedules. Will be interesting to see how these shape out next year.

RE: Finally!!!! - Downtown Shocker Brown - 01-02-2013 07:57 PM

I also like seeing the other Valley teams stepping up their scheduling.

Anyone know what the other Valley schools are doing schedule wise for next year?

RE: Finally!!!! - SubGod22 - 01-03-2013 09:33 AM

I don't, but I think I remember reading or hearing something that the MVC brought back the scheduling mandate. Can anyone else confirm that? It's possible that it was only being discussed. I thought it was implemented again but that may take effect next season or something. We need to bring it back, if it's not already, and keep it.

RE: Finally!!!! - Downtown Shocker Brown - 01-03-2013 07:16 PM

I think they got 2 years, which would mean 2014. But you can see that many of the teams stepped up the level of competition this year.

RE: Finally!!!! - SubGod22 - 01-04-2013 10:08 AM

That's good to hear. I knew they'd have to allow a small window to do it as schedules are partially made a couple of years in advance due to contracts and what have you. It'll only help when it comes to getting more and better opportunities to dance in March. And that only helps recruiting for all teams. Granted, some of those teams still won't be able to hang onto coaches due to financial issues, but it's still a better place to be and can help attract better incoming coaches.

I'm trying to be positive. I'm so bipolar when it comes to this conference...

RE: Finally!!!! - TC4TC - 01-04-2013 10:15 AM

(01-03-2013 09:33 AM)SubGod22 Wrote:  I don't, but I think I remember reading or hearing something that the MVC brought back the scheduling mandate. Can anyone else confirm that? It's possible that it was only being discussed. I thought it was implemented again but that may take effect next season or something. We need to bring it back, if it's not already, and keep it.

I think the only mandate that I recall was that every team needs to be in a MTE and that the new tie-breaker for Valley Tournament seeding is based off of non conference RPI or SOS. But I could be wrong.

RE: Finally!!!! - TC4TC - 01-04-2013 10:16 AM

(01-03-2013 07:16 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  I think they got 2 years, which would mean 2014. But you can see that many of the teams stepped up the level of competition this year.

Having Jankovich leave was a definite step up.

RE: Finally!!!! - SubGod22 - 01-04-2013 10:23 AM

(01-04-2013 10:16 AM)TC4TC Wrote:  
(01-03-2013 07:16 PM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  I think they got 2 years, which would mean 2014. But you can see that many of the teams stepped up the level of competition this year.

Amen to that! I think Muller is going to do well at ISU

RE: Finally!!!! - Downtown Shocker Brown - 01-05-2013 11:03 AM

I agree on Muller.

I definitely didn't like BracketBusters as it was. Would love to see the Valley take advantage of this to set up mid conference games with other conferences, like the last week of January. Mid point in season, and not interrupt the stretch run.

What if the Valley sponsored a "Valley Invitational", where Creighton and Wichita State invite say Gonzaga and San Diego St to play in KC, and two teams hosted Butler and VCU in St. Louis. Do a Friday game, then have the Valley teams swap opponents. Possible a day in the middle.

RE: Finally!!!! - BirdFan 4Life - 01-05-2013 01:04 PM

(01-04-2013 10:23 AM)SubGod22 Wrote:  
(01-04-2013 10:16 AM)TC4TC Wrote:  

Amen to that! I think Muller is going to do well at ISU

Jankovich was a strange one...in that he never called an in bounds play (just throw it back to half court) and he never scheduled anyone out of conference with an RPI under 200. He always had Self and others say he was a good coach but he really came off as scared to play anyone, as if not to expose himself as a fraud.

Muller is going to struggle a little at first because he has guys on the team that don't fit his system. With no point guard with any college experience other then this year things will be a bit bumpy. ISU is talented but they lack the discipline on a game to game basis to be great (Janks parting gift). But as a fan we love the games Muller got with Dayton, Drexel, and Louisville with returns from the first 2.

RE: Finally!!!! - SubGod22 - 01-05-2013 01:18 PM

You guys are going to be in good shape and I look forward to it. I've always thought ISU should be one of the top programs in the MVC. If this conference could get ISU and BU back to where they should be along with WSU and CU and some help from others, UNI?, the MVC could be a hell of a conference. I think the four of us have the ability to invest and push their respective programs forward and onto the national scene on a regular basis.

RE: Finally!!!! - shocker3 - 01-12-2013 02:56 AM

(01-05-2013 11:03 AM)Downtown Shocker Brown Wrote:  I agree on Muller.

I definitely didn't like BracketBusters as it was. Would love to see the Valley take advantage of this to set up mid conference games with other conferences, like the last week of January. Mid point in season, and not interrupt the stretch run.

What if the Valley sponsored a "Valley Invitational", where Creighton and Wichita State invite say Gonzaga and San Diego St to play in KC, and two teams hosted Butler and VCU in St. Louis. Do a Friday game, then have the Valley teams swap opponents. Possible a day in the middle.

I like this idea. I think something like that would draw well in KC. The event could gain an Arch Madness feel to it for Shocker and Jays fans.

RE: Finally!!!! - SubGod22 - 01-16-2013 10:06 AM

Speaking of this lousy BB event, has anyone seen the latest RPI numbers for our potential opponents? I believe the BEST option is about 30 spots behind us and I'm not sure it'll get much better.

We do though need to figure out how to get creative in scheduling some good teams. I really wish we could schedule a few non-BcS teams to H/H, but for whatever reason, Tulsa seems to be the only one and that's because they're close and we share history. Also would like to see us try to get something with a few mid to low level BcS schools in the south since we recruit down there so much.

I'm glad that the scheduling mandate is coming back as that should help all teams look for better quality opponents and strengthen a number of teams. Especially with the end of BB as I think some teams relied on that to get a decent team as opposed to trying to schedule a few on their own. Not sure what sense that made but some were doing it.