CSNbbs
NO Bowl Question - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: NO Bowl Question (/thread-591171.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

NO Bowl Question - exflash - 10-02-2012 09:34 PM

I know that within a 4 year period the Bowl has to take the champion of the belt for at least 2 years ---My question is whether the selection can be 2 non champions in a row---If the Cajuns win or lose and are bowl eligible you know that they would be chosen by the NO Bowl if eligible!!!!

RE: NO Bowl Question - Trulyb - 10-02-2012 09:40 PM

(10-02-2012 09:34 PM)exflash Wrote:  I know that within a 4 year period the Bowl has to take the champion of the belt for at least 2 years ---My question is whether the selection can be 2 non champions in a row---If the Cajuns win or lose and are bowl eligible you know that they would be chosen by the NO Bowl if eligible!!!!

Not if you are Americas Team!

RE: NO Bowl Question - AstroCajun - 10-02-2012 09:57 PM

Money. Whoever can bring the most of it. It really is that simple.

If the rules get in the way of the money, then the rules get changed.

There is no mystery, no surprise, no conspiracy beyond the money.

The bowl has a taste for 40k and will not settle for less. Records be dammed.

RE: NO Bowl Question - LouisianaHawkFan - 10-02-2012 10:07 PM

(10-02-2012 09:57 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  Money. Whoever can bring the most of it. It really is that simple.

If the rules get in the way of the money, then the rules get changed.

There is no mystery, no surprise, no conspiracy beyond the money.

The bowl has a taste for 40k and will not settle for less. Records be dammed.

The networks have some input in the decision too....who would not want America's team on their network pulling in a national audience04-cheers

RE: NO Bowl Question - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-02-2012 10:09 PM

Guys, ULM will bring plenty of fans to New Orleans for their first bowl game. ULL, you're going to have to win this one on the field.

RE: NO Bowl Question - slappycajun - 10-02-2012 10:13 PM

Like WKU won it on the field last year? And Jesus Christ with the America's team stuff really.

RE: NO Bowl Question - LouisianaHawkFan - 10-02-2012 10:15 PM

(10-02-2012 10:13 PM)slappycajun Wrote:  Like WKU won it on the field last year? And Jesus Christ with the America's team stuff really.

Nice ring to it......not my words, it's the national tv and newpapers coming up with that stuff. I would be happy for any Sun Belt team to have that type of recognition.

RE: NO Bowl Question - slappycajun - 10-02-2012 10:17 PM

(10-02-2012 10:15 PM)LouisianaHawkFan Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 10:13 PM)slappycajun Wrote:  Like WKU won it on the field last year? And Jesus Christ with the America's team stuff really.

Nice ring to it......not my words, it's the national tv and newpapers coming up with that stuff. I would be happy for any Sun Belt team to have that type of recognition.

Keep winning games ULM. For the record, I thought your Alabama wins was much more impressive than Arkansas. But, finish off the season with a winning record and get to your first bowl.

Boise State was America's team, as happy as I am for ULM fans let's not blow this thing out of proportion just yet.

RE: NO Bowl Question - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-02-2012 10:18 PM

You had a better overall record last year than WKU. Western did NOT win the Sun Belt. If they did, they would have been guaranteed a spot in either the NO or Go Daddy bowls.

Bowls don't like taking the same team multiple years, especially if there is a team that is also close by that hasn't been there. ULM qualifies. You guys likely will both finish 2-2 in OOC. Whoever finishes with the best conference record is likely to be the first choice of the NO Bowl.

But since the GoDaddy Bowl took the champion last year, I think the NO Bowl has to take the champion this year. Unless there is a trade with another bowl etc.

So it might be WKU in the New Orleans Bowl.

RE: NO Bowl Question - slappycajun - 10-02-2012 10:21 PM

(10-02-2012 10:18 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  You had a better overall record last year than WKU. Western did NOT win the Sun Belt. If they did, they would have been guaranteed a spot in either the NO or Go Daddy bowls.

Bowls don't like taking the same team multiple years, especially if there is a team that is also close by that hasn't been there. ULM qualifies. You guys likely will both finish 2-2 in OOC. Whoever finishes with the best conference record is likely to be the first choice of the NO Bowl.

But since the GoDaddy Bowl took the champion last year, I think the NO Bowl has to take the champion this year. Unless there is a trade with another bowl etc.

New Orleans bowl doesn't have to take the champion this year. New Orleans bowl will take who it thinks will sell the most tickets. Bottom line. Now, a NOLA bowl representative could very well think that ULM will sell more tickets to the game than the Cajuns.

But, there decision will be made on ticket sales. If neither WKU nor the Cajuns win the Sunbelt and the Toppers have a better record in conference and overall than the Cajuns. The Cajuns will go to the NOLA bowl if both teams are bowl eligible I promise.

RE: NO Bowl Question - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-02-2012 10:32 PM

(10-02-2012 10:21 PM)slappycajun Wrote:  
(10-02-2012 10:18 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  You had a better overall record last year than WKU. Western did NOT win the Sun Belt. If they did, they would have been guaranteed a spot in either the NO or Go Daddy bowls.

New Orleans bowl doesn't have to take the champion this year. New Orleans bowl will take who it thinks will sell the most tickets. Bottom line. Now, a NOLA bowl representative could very well think that ULM will sell more tickets to the game than the Cajuns.

But, there decision will be made on ticket sales. If neither WKU nor the Cajuns win the Sunbelt and the Toppers have a better record in conference and overall than the Cajuns. The Cajuns will go to the NOLA bowl if both teams are bowl eligible I promise.

So WKU can finish second in the conference go 9-3 and stay home because they have no chance of going to the NO Bowl over a 7-5 ULL? The GoDaddy bowl isn't owned by the SBC (unlike the NO Bowl). What do the other members of SBC get from the NO Bowl if its always - bring ULL every year they get to 7-5, and just use the rest of the league as backup? Why would they even bother being in the conference if they can't participate in its' bowls?

Its ridiculous on its face.

Why have a SBC bowl tie in with the NO Bowl then? Why not just have a bowl tie in for ULL?

If ULM or WKU (two teams that have never been to a bowl) stay home with a record tying or beating ULL or Troy or MTSU or stAte (teams that have been to bowls), then all hell is going to break loose. As well it should. If all three teams had been to recent bowls, then perhaps ULL's proven ability to put fannies in the seats would give you a bit of an advantage...but this year...not so much.

You know there ARE two conferences that might be interested in WKU....Do you really think that the conference is going to back ULL up versus WKU if it came to that? Yes, your great attendence last year matters. But I guarantee you that the Conference DOES have a say in this. Especially in the New Orleans Bowl (founded and partly funded by conference - unlike the GoDaddy Bowl - which is funded by the City of Mobile and private sponsors).

The problem is that we don't have enough bowl slots. But you aren't going to find much sympathy for demanding special treatment over teams that have never been to bowls. Especially if you don't finish above them in conference record, and overall record.

I hope we find bowl slots for all our eligible teams. But ULM and especially WKU are going to get tie breakers this year.

RE: NO Bowl Question - papa_dawg - 10-02-2012 10:47 PM

yep, the announcers on the baylor game coined it. however, did you notice the the awkward "go to commercial" 2 minutes later? i thought it was because the Fun-roe-vians in the stands were chanting BULL01-rivals to a call they didn't like. or maybe that was the F-U-B-U shirts? i can't tell what truly endears ULM to the masses.

03-nutkick :sly: :yankinyerchain:

RE: NO Bowl Question - AstroCajun - 10-02-2012 10:53 PM

I recall in the 90s in two separate seasons having taken our share of a big west crown but denied the las Vegas bowl both times because of unfavorable geography and an untested fan base.

Those are the breaks. Always have been. That said I am certain wku goes bowling this year.

Don't think that the bowl committee didn't take into account the fans in the stands in new orleans this past weekend either.

RE: NO Bowl Question - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-02-2012 10:57 PM

(10-02-2012 10:47 PM)gata_dawg Wrote:  

yep, the announcers on the baylor game coined it. however, did you notice the the awkward "go to commercial" 2 minutes later? i thought it was because the Fun-roe-vians in the stands were chanting BULL01-rivals to a call they didn't like. or maybe that was the F-U-B-U shirts? i can't tell what truly endears ULM to the masses.

03-nutkick :sly: :yankinyerchain:

Now come on... does Ruston really have any reason to claim advantage over Monroe as far as fun activies are concerned? Reality Check please?

Monroe is a LOT bigger than Ruston and has a LOT more services and more things to do than Ruston. Neither of them are going to feature prominently in any tourism surveys though.

So whats wrong with FUBU? Is it some comment on the level of interest in the African American populace in the football team in Monroe? I hope youre not arguing that that would be a bad thing. Maybe I don't understand your comment. Perhaps you could extrapolate.

RE: NO Bowl Question - AstroCajun - 10-02-2012 11:02 PM

(10-02-2012 10:09 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  , you're going to have to win this one on the field.

For the record, I wouldn't have it any other way.

RE: NO Bowl Question - Tom in Lazybrook - 10-02-2012 11:08 PM

(10-02-2012 10:53 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  I recall in the 90s in two separate seasons having taken our share of a big west crown but denied the las Vegas bowl both times because of unfavorable geography and an untested fan base.

Those are the brakes. Always have been. That said I am certain wku goes bowling this year.

Don't think that the bowl committee didn't take into account the fans in the stands in new orleans this past weekend either.

Not going to work this year. There's a difference between a mid year game and a bowl game. ULM will win the tie if its the difference between two evenly matched teams looking for the last SBC bowl slot. I don't think its going to be a big issue here. I think ULM and WKU are really legit and they look like the teams to beat this year along with MTSU. ULL? You could be in the top three this year, but I can't get over that collapse at Okla State (man, they were p'sd about losing the week before) until proven otherwise. And yes I know my team, South Alabama, sucks this year.

RE: NO Bowl Question - AstroCajun - 10-02-2012 11:18 PM

Tom,

I think your coronations are premature.

Ulm will be favored when we meet in 11/3 and well they should. We lost our RB in week 1. We lost our qb last week. But if want to define our season based on OK State then I can't help you. It is as foolish as writing off MT for the loss to McNeese.

RE: NO Bowl Question - WKUApollo - 10-02-2012 11:20 PM

(10-02-2012 10:53 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  I recall in the 90s in two separate seasons having taken our share of a big west crown but denied the las Vegas bowl both times because of unfavorable geography and an untested fan base.

Those are the breaks. Always have been. That said I am certain wku goes bowling this year.

The only certainty is if WKU wins the conference outright we go to a Bowl Game. Other than that, our chances are 50/50 at best. I don't like the odds so WKU needs to win the conference.

Yes, there's a possibility of another Bowl, outside of the N.O. Bowl or the GoDaddy Bowl, having an opening but since the SBC doesn't have ties to those Bowls, as we learned last year, the so-called better conferences will work with those Bowls to move teams around to ensure that every eligible team in those conferences get a slot, regardless of their number of tie-ins. I don't blame UL, ULM, or ASU for their advantage with the N.O. Bowl. I don't blame USA or Troy for their advantage when they become Bowl eligible and the GoDaddy is theirs regardless of final conference standings in the Belt and teams left out. Until the SBC can get more Bowl tie-ins, this is going to be very frustrating. Wait until Texas St and Ga St joing and possibly Appy St and Ga Southern join. Unless we have more tie-ins, those 4 schools will feel the same injustice. .... Thus the major advantage CUSA and the MAC have over the SBC...in addition to TV contracts.

RE: NO Bowl Question - tyler90wm - 10-02-2012 11:26 PM

(10-02-2012 11:18 PM)AstroCajun Wrote:  Ulm will be favored when we meet in 11/3 and well they should.

Not if we can help it.

This is random, but it just occurred to me that UL and MT are the only pair of teams left that can both go undefeated in conference.

RE: NO Bowl Question - TexasWarhawkBrother - 10-02-2012 11:29 PM

guys lets wait and see where everyone stands after the mid-way point of conference play.