CSNbbs
My preference on expansion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: My preference on expansion (/thread-570603.html)

Pages: 1 2

My preference on expansion - Crump1 - 05-17-2012 10:31 AM

1. Add App. St., Ga. Southern and a basketball school from the east.

2. Add App St., Ga. Southern and a basketball school from the west.

3. Add App. St., NMSU and a basketball school.

4. Add Ga. Southern, NMSU and a Basketball school

5. Add a basketball school from the east.

6. Stand pat.

RE: My preference on expansion - GaSouthern - 05-17-2012 10:45 AM

(05-17-2012 10:31 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  1. Add App. St., Ga. Southern and a basketball school from the east.

6. Stand pat.

100% agree 04-cheers

RE: My preference on expansion - GoApps70 - 05-17-2012 10:46 AM

(05-17-2012 10:31 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  1. Add App. St., Ga. Southern and a basketball school from the east.

6. Stand pat.

That pretty much is what I suggested, and that way Troy could stay in the East.
From what most of you have been saying would make sense to:

Add App State (give an offer, don't see why they wouldn't take it.)
Add Texas-Arlington (no football)
Add NMSU for football only. Isn't that all they want anyway? Some place for their football for a couple of years.

Seems to take most things that many have been debateing into consideration. Wouldn't be so far to NMSU for just football.
Then tell GaSo to get whatever together and add them when NMSU goes out.

RE: My preference on expansion - FIUFan - 05-17-2012 10:52 AM

6. Stand pat.

That's not 'your preference'; that's a list of possible scenarios. Pick one and sell it....or not (oh, and the basketball school is UT-Arlington).

RE: My preference on expansion - Tuffguy21 - 05-17-2012 10:55 AM

for Me its

1)Add App and Ga Southern
2)Add No one

Uneven divisions have worked before, the world wont sink into chaos if we have it again. Adding another mouth to feed is not important.

RE: My preference on expansion - BirdofParadise - 05-17-2012 11:05 AM

For me, it's add UTA, since that's what's going to happen.

Then stop.

RE: My preference on expansion - Fanof49ASU - 05-17-2012 11:09 AM

(05-17-2012 10:52 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  
6. Stand pat.

That's not 'your preference'; that's a list of possible scenarios. Pick one and sell it....or not (oh, and the basketball school is UT-Arlington).

I think that's his order of preference.

RE: My preference on expansion - Crump1 - 05-17-2012 11:12 AM

(05-17-2012 11:09 AM)Fanof49ASU Wrote:  
6. Stand pat.

I think that's his order of preference.
It is. I thought the numbers made that clear. Thanks.

RE: My preference on expansion - Crump1 - 05-17-2012 11:13 AM

(05-17-2012 10:55 AM)Tuffguy21 Wrote:  for Me its

1)Add App and Ga Southern
2)Add No one

Uneven divisions have worked before, the world wont sink into chaos if we have it again. Adding another mouth to feed is not important.

I could live with that.

RE: My preference on expansion - Crump1 - 05-17-2012 11:18 AM

(05-17-2012 10:46 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  

6. Stand pat.

Add NMSU for football only. Isn't that all they want anyway? Some place for their football for a couple of years.

Seems to take most things that many have been debateing into consideration. Wouldn't be so far to NMSU for just football.
That does seem like a likely scenario. I just have a hard time buying that we are stopping at 10 football schools.

I have to say that except for a few posters here and there, App. St. fans here and on you boards seem to be the most respectful and appreciative of the opportunity and competition that the Belt provides of all the fans of FCS teams moving up. App. fans seem to want a shot to prove themselves and build something on their own wherever that may be instead of complaining about which FBS conference they may land in.

If Boise St. proved anything, it's not a matter of elevating yourself on the backs of others as much as it is about building a program regardless of your conference.

RE: My preference on expansion - arkstfan - 05-17-2012 11:19 AM

6. Stand pat.

I think the Crumper rated them from most to least desirable.

I am very comfortable with a number of options myself. I don't see this as a situation where only one choice produces a good outcome.

RE: My preference on expansion - FIUFan - 05-17-2012 11:20 AM

(05-17-2012 11:12 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  It is. I thought the numbers made that clear. Thanks.

Yes, but you're hedging. Also, you don't seem to think tht UT-Arlington will accept the invitation the Sun Belt has made as you don't use them as your hoops school; why not?

Given that choice one is your preference; why Ga Southern over NMSU? thanks.

RE: My preference on expansion - Crump1 - 05-17-2012 11:28 AM

(05-17-2012 11:20 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  
(05-17-2012 11:12 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  It is. I thought the numbers made that clear. Thanks.

Yes, but you're hedging. Also, you don't seem to think tht UT-Arlington will accept the invitation the Sun Belt has made as you don't use them as your hoops school; why not?

Also, given that choice one is your preference; why Ga Southern over NMSU?
No hedging at all. I want App. and GS because it gives us a nice alignment of eastern schools with the 2 in GA and App.

For football it divides very well:

East: FAU, App. St., Ga. So., Ga. St., WKU and MTSU
West: TXST., stAte, UL, ULM, Troy and USA

I prefer an eastern basketball school so it balances out the east and west with UALR but uneven works and having different divisions in the non-football sports is not terrible.

I prefer Ga. So. because of their location relative to the eastern schools, the number of FBS claiber athletes in GA and their tradition of winning football in the heart of football country. NMSU has it's benefits but they don't match Ga. So. in those areas. They offer a "plug and play" FBS football program and good basketball though.

I won't be upset if it is NMSU instead of Ga. So. but I will be upset if we expand and it doesn't include App. St.

I actually don't hate the idea of JMU or Liberty (if it weren't for the Falwell connection and that is a killer for me).

RE: My preference on expansion - Fanof49ASU - 05-17-2012 11:29 AM

(05-17-2012 11:20 AM)FIUFan Wrote:  Yes, but you're hedging. Also, you don't seem to think tht UT-Arlington will accept the invitation the Sun Belt has made as you don't use them as your hoops school; why not?

I think you're confusing preference with predictions.

RE: My preference on expansion - Crump1 - 05-17-2012 11:29 AM

Also, I think UTA will or has already accepted and they are a solid basketball school. I just prefer a basketball school form the east for the aforementioned reasons.

RE: My preference on expansion - FIUFan - 05-17-2012 12:19 PM

(05-17-2012 11:29 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  Also, I think UTA will or has already accepted and they are a solid basketball school. I just prefer a basketball school form the east for the aforementioned reasons.

Got it. UT-Arl is basically a done deal (they replace Denver and give Tx State a relative).

App St could be in quickly if they could find another school the presidents might want. Ga Southern and NMSU are 'hard sells'. Ga Southern has a storied football history, however, the rest of that school seems to lack the potential needed to be considered a strong candidate. And we're all familiar with the pros and cons of NMS.

Again, I'm just feeling the lack of old mo' here.

RE: My preference on expansion - GoApps70 - 05-17-2012 03:39 PM

(05-17-2012 11:18 AM)Crump1 Wrote:  
(05-17-2012 10:46 AM)GoApps70 Wrote:  

6. Stand pat.

That does seem like a likely scenario. I just have a hard time buying that we are stopping at 10 football schools.

I have to say that except for a few posters here and there, App. St. fans here and on you boards seem to be the most respectful and appreciative of the opportunity and competition that the Belt provides of all the fans of FCS teams moving up. App. fans seem to want a shot to prove themselves and build something on their own wherever that may be instead of complaining about which FBS conference they may land in.

If Boise St. proved anything, it's not a matter of elevating yourself on the backs of others as much as it is about building a program regardless of your conference.
Thank you.

This morning on this SB board some Georgia State poster posted something about them moving out of the SBC , and that Appalachian State would be in the SBC for the rest of their lives.

He thought it was a slight. However, I started to post back to him, "Thank You, you are probably right." Then I just figured that he would not understand. App State never has moved around. The NCAA gave us the choice about forty years ago where we wanted to be. We stayed in the SoCon instead of moving up with East Carolina back then.

RE: My preference on expansion - Liberty22 - 05-17-2012 03:41 PM

Well now I don't like this at all 03-hissyfit

RE: My preference on expansion - AppfanInCAAland - 05-18-2012 06:13 AM

Honestly as an App fan, the idea of being in a CUSA division with ECU, UNCC, Marshall and ODU keeps me up up at night with excitement - both ECU and Marshall are former arch-rivals. But the talk on the CUSA and SBC boards makes me think the Belt would welcome us with open arms while the CUSA fans would not, so I tend to prefer the Belt as a future home. Over in CUSA land, ones of lines from our fight song rings true - "Nobody likes us, we are the Mountaineers." Hopefully, we will join the Belt and beat those CUSA guys OOC.

I've always felt the Belt was a rising conference, and App would certainly add to that. Really, an FBS/IA move has been a constant drum beat in Boone since I stepped on App's campus in '94 - it actually dates back to the 70s but I wasn't aware of it then. I'm just ready for it to be settled, hopefully in the next few weeks. My dream would be for the SBC to add App, GaSouthern, and JMU - and perhaps Liberty or a non-football school like UNC Greensboro as well.

RE: My preference on expansion - Crump1 - 05-18-2012 09:15 AM

We've been beating CUSA lately and I am sure that will continue, hopefully with you guys joining in the fun.