CSNbbs
ECU & Southern Miss - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: ECU & Southern Miss (/thread-538727.html)

Pages: 1 2

ECU & Southern Miss - hawghiggs - 12-06-2011 09:35 PM

With a large amount of CUSA programs going to the Big East. Do ya'll think it would be a good idea to at least try and lure those two programs to SunBelt? Memphis and UAB wouldn't be bad either.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - OwlFamily - 12-06-2011 09:36 PM

It would be smart to offer, but I guess it all depends on whether the MWC/CUSA "alliance" happens.

It would probably only be as a life raft situation.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - hawghiggs - 12-06-2011 09:42 PM

(12-06-2011 09:36 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  It would be smart to offer, but I guess it all depends on whether the MWC/CUSA "alliance" happens.

That alliance idea is pure crap now. It would cost way to much money for a program to travel all over the place.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - BlueRaiderFan. - 12-06-2011 09:50 PM

(12-06-2011 09:42 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  
(12-06-2011 09:36 PM)OwlFamily Wrote:  It would be smart to offer, but I guess it all depends on whether the MWC/CUSA "alliance" happens.

That alliance idea is pure crap now. It would cost way to much money for a program to travel all over the place.

They aren't crap. They add a stronger stance for negotiating TV and bowl game contracts. They also shore up against any losses from raids, which as you can see did happen.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - RaiderATO - 12-06-2011 10:11 PM

(12-06-2011 09:42 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  That alliance idea is pure crap now. It would cost way to much money for a program to travel all over the place.

Divisions make it where you don't have to shuttle your FB team across the nation more than once a year. Travel for ECU wouldn't get better, but wouldn't get much worse. I actually see it as more feasible now, but as a true merger (with waivers and whatnot needed for NCAA and BCS representation) and not as just a FB coalition.

If it doesn't happen like that, I see a large gap between Rice, Tulsa and UTEP that might want to be filled by UNT, UTSA, etc.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - LR Eagle - 12-07-2011 09:23 AM

(12-06-2011 09:42 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

Except that's not how it works. The original plan was for the conferences to pretty much stay intact and only the champions would meet to play for a possible BC$ berth. The hold up was due to C-USA already having a champsionship game. If this long rumored Big Least move does happen then C-USA will stand at 9 and the MWC is at 7. We can shuffle UTEP to the MWC, add FIU or La Tech or UNT or whoever to C-USA and USU to the MWC have two 9 team conferences. Everyone plays all 8 conference mates and 4 OOC games against whoever you want. The two champs meet to play for an "alliance championship" and with any luck a decent bowl berth. The combination of big markets and strong programs make this much more lucrative to TV than the other non-AQ conferences.

If the deal falls through, C-USA will just add any three of La Tech, FIU, UNT, ODU, Appy State, etc. and carry on.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - FIUFan - 12-07-2011 09:49 AM

(12-06-2011 09:35 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  With a large amount of CUSA programs going to the Big East. Do ya'll think it would be a good idea to at least try and lure those two programs to SunBelt? Memphis and UAB wouldn't be bad either.

Not until we have more bowl tie-ins than C-USA.

What has become painfully clear this year (given the WKU situation) is that more teams within a conference insures more bowl eligible teams and hence more bowl tie-ins. A nine team conference generally provides 3 - 4 bowl eligible teams where a 12 team conference allows for 5 or 6 bowl elgible teams and the ability to create *more secondary tie-ins given the BCS's four year rolling average of >.500 programs.

Just another reason the big boys are adding more programs and continuing to squeeze the non-AQ's out. The more they add, the more bowl eligible teams they organically create.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - Burn the Horse - 12-07-2011 11:40 AM

I continue to be baffled by the C-USA fans advocating the addition of La Tech. I'm not trying to pimp my team, but it just would seem smarter to add Troy over Tech. both are small market schools, but Troy has had much more success and has better facilities.

Again, not trying to beg anyone to take us because I'm happy in the Belt...I just don't understand their thinking.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - LR Eagle - 12-07-2011 11:55 AM

(12-07-2011 11:40 AM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  I continue to be baffled by the C-USA fans advocating the addition of La Tech. I'm not trying to pimp my team, but it just would seem smarter to add Troy over Tech. both are small market schools, but Troy has had much more success and has better facilities.

Again, not trying to beg anyone to take us because I'm happy in the Belt...I just don't understand their thinking.

I'm opposed to Troy out of simple selfishness, I don;t want USA in C-USA for that reason as well. USM recruits AL heavily, LA not so much. UAB has the exact same opposition.

That said I could live with Troy, the football is solid (this year notwithstanding) and the baseball is decent. Of course baseball doesn't matter in realignment, but C-USA is a strong baseball conference and the sole reason I'm cool with sharing a conference with Tulane and Rice.

I really think C-USA expansion will be market driven this time, again. Going off that I think FIU, UNT, or UTSA are more likely targets than Troy or Tech anyways.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - Burn the Horse - 12-07-2011 11:57 AM

you do realize that Troy baseball is nationally ranked on a pretty regular basis right? so i'd consider us to be better than "decent" in that sport.

even if we never moved to C-USA, i'd really like to develop an all-sports rivalry with USM. our programs are in similar situations and I think there is a lot of mutual respect between the fan bases.

as for UAB, they are just haters. most of my experience with their fans has shown them to be angry most of the time about something.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - goherd17 - 12-07-2011 12:25 PM

(12-06-2011 09:35 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  With a large amount of CUSA programs going to the Big East. Do ya'll think it would be a good idea to at least try and lure those two programs to SunBelt? Memphis and UAB wouldn't be bad either.

I think it will be the other way around. Conf usa will be inviting sunbelt teams and they will accept. This all just sucks but its the world we live in.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - Burn the Horse - 12-07-2011 12:33 PM

You're probably right herd, I'm certain UNT will accept an invite. I wouldn't be so certain that C-USA will be able to swoop in and just steal whoever they want though, there are several Belt programs who see the writing on the wall. Conference USA currently has a better television contract and more bowl tie-ins, but how long will that last with much of the creme of the crop jumping ship?

C-USA minus the departing teams offers a much closer to equal option in on-field talent to the surging Sun Belt, but increases travel expenses drastically for everyone but UNT. Our footprint is much tighter than yours, and if our membership stands together you could see C-USA in a hard spot trying to find teams to fill its ranks.

remember, the WAC lost pretty much everything when its top teams left. C-USA is not invincible, yall could see a similar situation develop. The attitudes by many fans in your league could change quickly if that occured, and look to the Sun Belt to save them.

All of this is circumstantial and probably unlikely, but it's not impossible. Think about it.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - goherd17 - 12-07-2011 12:55 PM

(12-07-2011 12:33 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  You're probably right herd, I'm certain UNT will accept an invite. I wouldn't be so certain that C-USA will be able to swoop in and just steal whoever they want though, there are several Belt programs who see the writing on the wall. Conference USA currently has a better television contract and more bowl tie-ins, but how long will that last with much of the creme of the crop jumping ship?

C-USA minus the departing teams offers a much closer to equal option in on-field talent to the surging Sun Belt, but increases travel expenses drastically for everyone but UNT. Our footprint is much tighter than yours, and if our membership stands together you could see C-USA in a hard spot trying to find teams to fill its ranks.

remember, the WAC lost pretty much everything when its top teams left. C-USA is not invincible, yall could see a similar situation develop. The attitudes by many fans in your league could change quickly if that occured, and look to the Sun Belt to save them.

All of this is circumstantial and probably unlikely, but it's not impossible. Think about it.

Creme of crop not jumping anywhere did you watch the champ game. SMU has done nothing Houston good lately but qb gone UCF has been up and down. The best two programs ECU and So miss are still here along with Tulsa and Marshall may be returning to being decent. I respect the belt and dont watch bcs games any longer but I think some belt schools will be added when all said and done. JMO

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - LR Eagle - 12-07-2011 01:05 PM

(12-07-2011 12:33 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  You're probably right herd, I'm certain UNT will accept an invite. I wouldn't be so certain that C-USA will be able to swoop in and just steal whoever they want though, there are several Belt programs who see the writing on the wall. Conference USA currently has a better television contract and more bowl tie-ins, but how long will that last with much of the creme of the crop jumping ship?

I have no loyalty to C-USA, my loyalty lies with USM as it should for all fans. Rooting for entire conferences is habit of $EC mouth breathers and t-shirt fans.

USM will be fine. I doubt we get in an AQ conference but we will remain in the top tier of a restocked (albit weaker) C-USA. A restocked C-USA is still better than the Sunbelt, especially if it's restocked with Sunbelt teams.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - GoBigRed26 - 12-07-2011 01:47 PM

(12-07-2011 01:05 PM)LR Eagle Wrote:  

I have no loyalty to C-USA, my loyalty lies with USM as it should for all fans. Rooting for entire conferences is habit of $EC mouth breathers and t-shirt fans.

USM will be fine. I doubt we get in an AQ conference but we will remain in the top tier of a restocked (albit weaker) C-USA. A restocked C-USA is still better than the Sunbelt, especially if it's restocked with Sunbelt teams.

If you were to add Southern Miss, La Tech, and Tulsa to the Sun Belt, it would be a much better conference than if they stayed in the CUSA/MWC. It would also be very regionalized and cut down on travel costs, and could make some good rivalries

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - goherd17 - 12-07-2011 01:49 PM

(12-07-2011 01:47 PM)GoBigRed26 Wrote:  

If you were to add Southern Miss, La Tech, and Tulsa to the Sun Belt, it would be a much better conference than if they stayed in the CUSA/MWC. It would also be very regionalized and cut down on travel costs, and could make some good rivalries

Not happening no matter how much you want it to

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - chiefsfan - 12-07-2011 04:44 PM

(12-07-2011 01:49 PM)goherd17 Wrote:  

Not happening no matter how much you want it to

I dont think it has anything to do with what we want. The fact is simple, CUSA is not nearly as invicible as it was a few months back. I agree USM is probably the creme of the crop, but from the perspective of a lot of people, UCF and Houston were two of the strongest programs in CUSA.

For some Belt AD's, its not going to be an automatic yes. There are travel situations to consider, along with fan support. Im not sure that CUSA programs excte our fanbases any more then SBC programs do. Would people really be more likely to watch Middle Tennessee play Marshall instead of say Troy? Im just not sure it would make a big impact on fans. Sure there are some rivalries we'd like...but is it worth it compared to the travel.

Then you have to consider the fact that some of these SBC programs have stuck together for years through other rounds of explansion, its just not going to be easy to start pulling us apart. You might get one team easy like UNT, but thats not the same everywhere else. There would be serious decisions that would have to be made first.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - TrojanCampaign - 12-07-2011 04:56 PM

Conference USA - SMU, UCF, and Houston would be a stupid move for anyone now. Many middle Tenn, Troy, and UNT fans used to want to go on the premise of being so close to USM, SMU, UAB, then getting to go to Houston but that dream has become diluted.

In all honesty I would take the Belt with two more teams vs conference USA right now because we get easy trips to South, Middle Tenn, and already play UAB every year. I can honestly see UNT going because C-Usa still has Tulsa, Rice, UTEP, but good luck trying to get FIU when they can drive to FAU and Troy and South Alabama are as close as D1 conference foes literally can get for them.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - LR Eagle - 12-07-2011 07:58 PM

Too bad it will never happen.

La Tech will never willingly associate with ULL and ULM.

Tulsa isn't likely to leave the other private schools, Tulane and Rice to go the Sunbelt.

USM isn't leaving C-USA anytime soon.

RE: ECU & Southern Miss - BkGold - 12-13-2011 02:18 PM

(12-07-2011 11:57 AM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  you do realize that Troy baseball is nationally ranked on a pretty regular basis right? so i'd consider us to be better than "decent" in that sport.

even if we never moved to C-USA, i'd really like to develop an all-sports rivalry with USM. our programs are in similar situations and I think there is a lot of mutual respect between the fan bases.

as for UAB, they are just haters. most of my experience with their fans has shown them to be angry most of the time about something.

You mean all 50 of their fans.....?