CSNbbs
Most Important OOC Game to Win - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Most Important OOC Game to Win (/thread-502342.html)

Pages: 1 2

Most Important OOC Game to Win - Side Show Joe - 07-03-2011 10:14 AM

The Sun Belt has had issues with winning OOC games. There are many reasons why our conference has had trouble in non-conference games, and I don't want to debate that subject. In many seasons, too many Sun Belt schools go without winning an OOC game. I hope that changes this season. I think most of our schools have a least one OOC game on their schedule that they can win.

Which single OOC game do you think your team will have the best shot at winning?

For North Texas, I think our best shot will be catching Indiana early in the season, when we should have a large crowd in our stadium. Bama, Houston, and Tulsa all look very strong this season.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - OwlFamily - 07-03-2011 10:27 AM

Strangely enough I think its UAB for FAU this year.

Its our only winable OOC game, and it will be at home in the new stadium. Normally I would pull out a AQ school game but this year its definately UAB.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - tyler90wm - 07-03-2011 10:36 AM

The teams that will have the hardest time to get an OOC win over a FBS team are ULM (Florida St., TCU, and Iowa) and WKU (Kentucky, Navy, and LSU).

ASU - UCA (They went 7-4 last year) / (FBS) Memphis (1-11)

FAU - UAB (4-8)

FIU - Akron (1-11)

MTSU - Memphis (1-11)

UL - Nicholls State (4-7) / (FBS) Kent St. (5-7)

ULM - Grambling St. (9-2) / (FBS) Iowa (8-5)

UNT - Indiana (5-7)

Troy - UAB (4-8)

WKU - Indiana St. (4-7) / (FBS) Navy (9-4)

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - Tuffguy21 - 07-03-2011 11:00 AM

we need to make it a sticking point that we will try to win 50% of these games. First and foremost, its essential that the conference goes undefeated against the FCS schools, which I think we should. The only game I'd be worried about is the UCA game because their a little better than the others, regardless we should go 4-0 in those games. After that, it would be nice for us to be at or above .500 in those other "most winnable games".

More than anything else, I'm hoping that one of the elite teams shows up this season and actually gets a marquee win.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - bluephi1914 - 07-03-2011 11:05 AM

With Iowa having lost some talented players, I feel that ULM will have a legit chance at pulling out a close upset against the Hawkeyes.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - troy4ever21 - 07-03-2011 11:08 AM

The Sun Belt as a whole needs at least one BIG win. The hype of Sun Belt victories over Alabama, Oklahoma State, and Mizzou are starting to wear off...

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - Fanof49ASU - 07-03-2011 11:37 AM

(07-03-2011 10:36 AM)tyler90wm Wrote:  ASU - UCA (They went 7-4 last year) / (FBS) Memphis (1-11)

FAU - UAB (4-8)

FIU - Akron (1-11)

MTSU - Memphis (1-11)

UL - Nicholls State (4-7) / (FBS) Kent St. (5-7)

ULM - Grambling St. (9-2) / (FBS) Iowa (8-5)

UNT - Indiana (5-7)

Troy - UAB (4-8)

WKU - Indiana St. (4-7) / (FBS) Navy (9-4)

Navy and Iowa are the tough ones. All of the others should be wins.

Also.....stAte plays Illinois and Virginia Tech. A win there would probably be a bit too much to ask for.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - westcoastwolf - 07-03-2011 04:00 PM

ASU: UCA, then Memphis, then Illinois, then VA Tech

I wish we were hitting Indiana this year instead of last. UNT has a good chance of knocking them off.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - zeebart21 - 07-03-2011 04:19 PM

(07-03-2011 11:05 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  With Iowa having lost some talented players, I feel that ULM will have a legit chance at pulling out a close upset against the Hawkeyes.

Wont happen with Berry coaching. Sorry.

Z

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - zeebart21 - 07-03-2011 04:21 PM

(07-03-2011 11:08 AM)troy4ever21 Wrote:  The Sun Belt as a whole needs at least one BIG win. The hype of Sun Belt victories over Alabama, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Mizzou are starting to wear off...

FIFY..

Thanks,

Z

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - zeebart21 - 07-03-2011 04:22 PM

Louisiana knocks out Kent St and Nicholls.

Z

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - OsageJ - 07-03-2011 04:31 PM

As someone said we need to beat the FCS teams for sure. Playing close or knocking off a team from a BCS conf. would be great but in my opinion we have to beat the teams from CUSA and the MAC. I know stAte and MTSU both have Memphis and FAU has UAB. Those and other games from the lower level CUSA are must wins plus any game from the MAC.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - Agtopper - 07-03-2011 04:56 PM

I would love for WKU to pull the upset at home over Navy, but I think our best chance for an OOC upset will be the UK game. First game of the season and UK is looking to their third game of the season against rival Louisville, they all expect to be 2-0 going into that game. Don't think we will necessarily win but it could be a trap game.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - MTPiKapp - 07-03-2011 05:08 PM

(07-03-2011 04:21 PM)zeebart21 Wrote:  
(07-03-2011 11:08 AM)troy4ever21 Wrote:  The Sun Belt as a whole needs at least one BIG win. The hype of Sun Belt victories over Alabama, Oklahoma State, Kansas State and Mizzou are starting to wear off...

FIFY..

Thanks,

Z

I feel like there's a school that won two games against an ACC team and three against an SEC team...can't remember who it was though...

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - Side Show Joe - 07-03-2011 06:00 PM

(07-03-2011 11:00 AM)Tuffguy21 Wrote:  we need to make it a sticking point that we will try to win 50% of these games. First and foremost, its essential that the conference goes undefeated against the FCS schools, which I think we should. The only game I'd be worried about is the UCA game because their a little better than the others, regardless we should go 4-0 in those games. After that, it would be nice for us to be at or above .500 in those other "most winnable games".

More than anything else, I'm hoping that one of the elite teams shows up this season and actually gets a marquee win.

You are right about the FCS games, we can't lose any of those. WKU must beat Indiana State. I'm not worried abot that. WKU owned them before making the move up to the FBS. ULL can't lose to Nicholl State. ULM also has to beat Grambling. I don't think either will be a problem. If ULL can beat Kent State and FIU can beat Akron, then the Sun Belt will sweep the MAC in our head to head match-ups. Hopefully, no more then 4 Sun Belt teams will go 0 for 4 in non-conference.

None of our teams are playing WAC schools. Is that a coincidence?

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - MTPiKapp - 07-03-2011 06:17 PM

(07-03-2011 06:00 PM)Side Show Joe Wrote:  
(07-03-2011 11:00 AM)Tuffguy21 Wrote:  we need to make it a sticking point that we will try to win 50% of these games. First and foremost, its essential that the conference goes undefeated against the FCS schools, which I think we should. The only game I'd be worried about is the UCA game because their a little better than the others, regardless we should go 4-0 in those games. After that, it would be nice for us to be at or above .500 in those other "most winnable games".

You are right about the FCS games, we can't lose any of those. WKU must beat Indiana State. I'm not worried abot that. WKU owned them before making the move up to the FBS. ULL can't lose to Nicholl State. ULM also has to beat Grambling. I don't think either will be a problem. If ULL can beat Kent State and FIU can beat Akron, then the Sun Belt will sweep the MAC in our head to head match-ups. Hopefully, no more then 4 Sun Belt teams will go 0 for 4 in non-conference.

None of our teams are playing WAC schools. Is that a coincidence?

Outside of La Tech, and perhaps in the future Texas State, UTSA, and Lamar, I don't think it makes much sense for most of conference to play anyone in the WAC. I think the majority of the conference would have zero interest in going to Logan, Las Cruces, Moscow, or San Jose and I'm sure most of them feel the same way about making trips to Murfreesboro, Fort Lauderdale, Jonesboro, Bowling Green etc.

Even for North Texas, there are plenty of games to be found a lot closer than any of the current WAC members aside from Tech.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - zeebart21 - 07-03-2011 06:18 PM

(07-03-2011 05:08 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  
(07-03-2011 04:21 PM)zeebart21 Wrote:  
(07-03-2011 11:08 AM)troy4ever21 Wrote:  The Sun Belt as a whole needs at least one BIG win. The hype of Sun Belt victories over Alabama, Oklahoma State, Kansas State, Vandy, Maryland and Mizzou are starting to wear off...

FIFY..

Thanks,

Z

I feel like there's a school that won two games against an ACC team and three against an SEC team...can't remember who it was though...

FIFY!!!!!

Z

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - TroyFootball05 - 07-03-2011 06:39 PM

(07-03-2011 04:19 PM)zeebart21 Wrote:  
(07-03-2011 11:05 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  With Iowa having lost some talented players, I feel that ULM will have a legit chance at pulling out a close upset against the Hawkeyes.

Z

Didn't they have a really young team last year? And still got to 5 wins. I'd say that his coaching can't be all that bad. Plus he defeated the five time champs in their own house, where they are (were) 4th in the country in home field advantage. Went into overtime with FIU, who ended up winning the conference. So I'd give him a little more credit, considering his team was filled with froshes and sophs.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - bluephi1914 - 07-03-2011 07:15 PM

(07-03-2011 06:39 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(07-03-2011 04:19 PM)zeebart21 Wrote:  

Z

Didn't they have a really young team last year? And still got to 5 wins. I'd say that his coaching can't be all that bad. Plus he defeated the five time champs in their own house, where they are (were) 4th in the country in home field advantage. Went into overtime with FIU, who ended up winning the conference. So I'd give him a little more credit, considering his team was filled with froshes and sophs.

You are right! 5 wins with freshmen and sophomores, and was very close to 7 wins with the same. All of the team is currently on campus working out and has done nothing but gotten bigger and faster. This team will be dangerous because they all collectively believe in and have bought into the system.

RE: Most Important OOC Game to Win - Hilltopper2K - 07-03-2011 07:52 PM

(07-03-2011 04:56 PM)Agtopper Wrote:  I would love for WKU to pull the upset at home over Navy, but I think our best chance for an OOC upset will be the UK game. First game of the season and UK is looking to their third game of the season against rival Louisville, they all expect to be 2-0 going into that game. Don't think we will necessarily win but it could be a trap game.

I would think Navy would be more beatable than UK. True home game, I think they have a new quarterback. They barely beat Arkansas State and Central Michigan last year.

Nothing I have seen in the last two UK games would suggest we are ready to knock them off or even come close (although it would be sweet in a way that is difficult to verbalize).

Navy will still be a tough nut to crack. But we gave them a reasonably close game two years ago, we have a better team (than we did have two years ago), and its at home.

So who knows.