CSNbbs
The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU (/thread-501833.html)

The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU - ManzanoWolf - 06-28-2011 10:16 AM

Why These Schools?

Fast-forward to 2011 where the pieces are falling into place for three of college football's newest programs: the University of South Alabama Jaguars, the Georgia State Panthers, and the Old Dominion Monarchs. At first glance, these schools would seem to have nothing in common but digging a bit deeper shows the complete opposite: these schools are not only on missions to hit the college football big-timeā€¦there's a good chance one or more of them may actually succeed. Before taking a closer look at each of these, let's pause to consider what these programs have in common:

1.These three schools are the lone "independent" programs remaining at the NCAA FCS level.
2.Each of these programs has been recently launched. South Alabama and ODU played their first season in 2009. Georgia State joined them in 2010.
3.Each of these programs features an urban campus in metropolitan areas within the Southeast.
4.Each of these programs is located in one of the top production areas for football talent in the country.
5.ODU and USA are the only Division 1 programs in their metro areas. (Georgia State shares Atlanta with Georgia Tech.)

http://www.onsidekick.com/streams/comments/666800

RE: The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU - MG61 - 06-28-2011 10:21 AM

Good article. Thanks for sharing.

RE: The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU - SkullyMaroo - 06-28-2011 10:37 AM

This was posted on the USA board last week. It is a nice article, but, like almost any article these days, it contained a few inaccuracies. Good article, nonetheless.

RE: The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU - panama - 06-28-2011 01:02 PM

Its also posted on the Expansion board. Good Press

RE: The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU - SkullyMaroo - 06-28-2011 01:16 PM

I like the part where it says USA will 'replace Denver' in the Sun Belt. Hahaha.

RE: The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU - panama - 06-28-2011 01:22 PM

Yeah, most of these articles this summer have been close but no cigar. But hey its an article that has been reposted all over the internet multiple times. Cant beat that.

RE: The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU - NCowl - 06-29-2011 11:55 AM

(06-28-2011 01:16 PM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  I like the part where it says USA will 'replace Denver' in the Sun Belt. Hahaha.

Ranked Ice Hockey & Lacrosse?

RE: The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU - chargeradio - 06-29-2011 07:53 PM

Question for those of you still in Mobile - is the ice rink still in the Civic Center Arena? I know it's been a while since Mobile had a hockey team. I remember going to a few Jaguar games there and seeing the rink in various states of disassembly.

RE: The Little Giants -- South Alabama, Georgia State, ODU - SkullyMaroo - 06-30-2011 07:36 AM

(06-29-2011 07:53 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  Question for those of you still in Mobile - is the ice rink still in the Civic Center Arena? I know it's been a while since Mobile had a hockey team. I remember going to a few Jaguar games there and seeing the rink in various states of disassembly.

No. The ice rink is no longer in the Civic Center. I'm not sure if they pull it out occasionally for the public, but it isn't there on a daily basis.