CSNbbs
Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Kyra Memorial Spin Room (/forum-540.html)
+---- Thread: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary (/thread-498441.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - georgia_tech_swagger - 05-26-2011 09:22 PM

Romney 19%
Paul 12%
Gingrinch 12%
Cain 8%
Bachmann 7%
Pawlenty 7%
Huntsman 3%
Johnson 3%
Santorum 2%

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Rebel - 05-26-2011 09:26 PM

Paul might as well pack up and head back to the Shire. He won't step one foot in the White House as the Commander in Chief.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - TampaKnight - 05-26-2011 09:32 PM

GO RON! 04-cheers

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Native Georgian - 05-26-2011 09:38 PM

This is the 13th presidential campaign in America since John Kennedy took office in 1961. I think I have studied all of them fairly closely, and I can't think of a single instance in which -- 17 months before Election Day -- the grassroots (of 1 of the 2 major parties) were as politically "scattered" and "un-aligned" as the GOP grassroots are, right now. The closest examples I can think of were the Democrats in 1975, and the Democrats again in 1991. They went on to win both of those elections, although the winning candidates (Carter and Clinton)were not on the radar screen in May 1975 or May 1991.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Claw - 05-26-2011 09:48 PM

Palin would poll in the top three.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Native Georgian - 05-26-2011 10:00 PM

(05-26-2011 09:48 PM)Claw Wrote:  Palin would poll in the top three.
Romney's in first place with 19%, and I definitely think Palin would poll higher than that.

Of course, presidential nominations are not determined by nationwide popular vote, so these types of surveys are of very limited value.

If you could show me a poll of people who participated in the GOP's Iowa caucuses in 2008, I would be very interested in that. Or who voted in the GOP's New Hampshire primary that year... Also, there are about 320 elected GOP members of the state legislature in New Hampshire. I think a secret-ballot survey of their preferences would be information worth having, too...

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - WoodlandsOwl - 05-26-2011 10:02 PM

(05-26-2011 09:38 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  This is the 13th presidential campaign in America since John Kennedy took office in 1961. I think I have studied all of them fairly closely, and I can't think of a single instance in which -- 17 months before Election Day -- the grassroots (of 1 of the 2 major parties) were as politically "scattered" and "un-aligned" as the GOP grassroots are, right now. The closest examples I can think of were the Democrats in 1975, and the Democrats again in 1991. They went on to win both of those elections, although the winning candidates (Carter and Clinton)were not on the radar screen in May 1975 or May 1991.

The only way Carter won the Democrat nomination in 1976 was because most of the states went to Primaries instead of Caucuses. Otherwise it would have been most likely some liberal establishment Democrat like Jerry Brown.

Palin won't enter the Race. She would be losing money.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Native Georgian - 05-26-2011 10:10 PM

(05-26-2011 10:02 PM)WMD Owl Wrote:  The only way Carter won the Democrat nomination in 1976 was because most of the states went to Primaries instead of Caucuses.
Carter came in first place in the Iowa caucuses that year. That was actually his "big break" in terms of national media attention. As late as December 1975, his name was literally unmentioned in the Gallup/Harris polls, and they listed more than 10 Democrats who were running.

Quote:Otherwise it would have been most likely some liberal establishment Democrat like Jerry Brown.
From the Democrats' point of view, the story of that '76 primary campaign was the total inability of any candidate to emerge as "The Liberal Choice" in opposition to Carter, who was the "Southern/Moderate-Conservative Choice" (Jimmy Carter has changed a lot since then!) A lot of liberals really, really hoped Ted Kennedy would run, and if he had run, I think he would have won the nomination. But he didn't run, and the liberals were split among 4-5-6 candidates (Jerry Brown being 1 of them, though he was only 38 years old).

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Rebel - 05-26-2011 10:18 PM

Wait until he says all drugs like meth should be legal in the primaries. That should end his little run.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - georgia_tech_swagger - 05-26-2011 10:21 PM

(05-26-2011 10:18 PM)Rebel Wrote:  Wait until he says all drugs like meth should be legal in the primaries. That should end his little run.

Oooo yea I need the government to take care of me! I don't wanna use meth so I need these laws!!

(BTW I was up in the rafters yelling like hell at the end of that clip)

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Rebel - 05-26-2011 10:25 PM

(05-26-2011 10:21 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Oooo yea I need the government to take care of me! I don't wanna use meth so I need these laws!!

(BTW I was up in the rafters yelling like hell at the end of that clip)

Do you think people that have a propensity to start firing off shots into the air in a crowd should be allowed to carry firearms?

I see no difference. Meth should NEVER be legal. Anyone caught dealing that **** should be prosecuted. I am a libertarian, but if you guys want to make the libertarian mantra the no-sense platform, count me the hell out.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - georgia_tech_swagger - 05-26-2011 10:40 PM

My position I suspect is identical to Ron's.

Firstly... I as President wouldn't have the Constitutional authority to make drugs illegal. It's a state issue.

But if I were hypothetically some Governor ... I would make marijuana legal. It's a farce for it to be illegal when alcohol and tobacco are legal as marijuana is less physically harmful and less addictive. As a practical measure, let's just legalize marijuana from now as it is the lion's share of our drug war problems, overcrowding in prison, and organized crime due to prohibition. Let's see where we proceed after that has been in place many years.

However, so far Portugal is doing not just fine, but BETTER after eliminating illegal drugs altogether.

Quote:n 2001 Portugal decriminalized possession of effectively all drugs that are still illegal in other developed nations including, but not limited to, marijuana, cocaine, heroin, and LSD. While possession is legal, trafficking and possession of more than "10 days worth of personal use" are still punishable by jail time and fines. People caught with small amounts of any drug are given the choice to go to a rehab facility, and may refuse treatment without consequences. Despite criticism from other European nations, who stated Portugal's drug consumption would tremendously increase, overall drug use rose only slightly, whilst use among teenagers dropped, along with the number of HIV infection cases, which had dropped 50% by 2009.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - RaiderATO - 05-26-2011 10:42 PM

(05-26-2011 10:25 PM)Rebel Wrote:  Do you think people that have a propensity to start firing off shots into the air in a crowd should be allowed to carry firearms?

No. Because the person that might get hit by the bullets has no choice in the matter.

The person who purchases and uses drugs has ALL of the choice in the matter, and their actions afterward are what should be judged by the law.

I don't need you, nor govt. to tell me what to do with my life.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Rebel - 05-26-2011 10:48 PM

(05-26-2011 10:42 PM)Raider_ATO Wrote:  
(05-26-2011 10:25 PM)Rebel Wrote:  Do you think people that have a propensity to start firing off shots into the air in a crowd should be allowed to carry firearms?

No. Because the person that might get hit by the bullets has no choice in the matter.

The person who purchases and uses drugs has ALL of the choice in the matter, and their actions afterward are what should be judged by the law.

I don't need you, nor govt. to tell me what to do with my life.

Meth heads aren't just a danger to themselves. They rob, steal, and, tell ya what, since you Paulbots are so into the right to do whatever the **** you want, how would you like a Meth factory next to your home? Afterall, it IS their home they're manufacturing this **** in. Cool?

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - georgia_tech_swagger - 05-26-2011 10:55 PM

(05-26-2011 10:48 PM)Rebel Wrote:  Meth heads aren't just a danger to themselves. They rob, steal, and, tell ya what, since you Paulbots are so into the right to do whatever the **** you want, how would you like a Meth factory next to your home? Afterall, it IS their home they're manufacturing this **** in. Cool?

Phew. Good thing if it were legal it would be manufactured by companies in industrial areas and sold retail for cheaply, more safely, and without the crime associated with black market individual producers.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Claw - 05-26-2011 11:34 PM

(05-26-2011 10:55 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(05-26-2011 10:48 PM)Rebel Wrote:  Meth heads aren't just a danger to themselves. They rob, steal, and, tell ya what, since you Paulbots are so into the right to do whatever the **** you want, how would you like a Meth factory next to your home? Afterall, it IS their home they're manufacturing this **** in. Cool?

Phew. Good thing if it were legal it would be manufactured by companies in industrial areas and sold retail for more cheaply, more safely, and without the crime associated with black market individual producers.

Why would Meth addicts would be any different than the homeless alcoholics?

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - RaiderATO - 05-27-2011 05:06 AM

(05-26-2011 11:34 PM)Claw Wrote:  Why would Meth addicts would be any different than the homeless alcoholics?

That's it! Ban alcohol. There's a subset of humans that abuse the drug and let it negatively affect their lives. It must be banned.

(05-26-2011 10:48 PM)Rebel Wrote:  Meth heads aren't just a danger to themselves. They rob, steal, and, tell ya what, since you Paulbots are so into the right to do whatever the **** you want, how would you like a Meth factory next to your home?

"Alcoholics aren't just a danger to themselves. They drink and drive, abuse loved ones, and tell ya what, how would you like a makeshift distillery next to your home?"

Do you see how ridiculous this attitude is? You're not worried about a moonshine still blowing up next door are you? I'm sure there are alcoholics hiccuping and stumbling up and down the street to get some of your neighbor's home-brew, right?

No. None of this happens. There is an industry that legally and safely handles its distribution and sale.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Native Georgian - 05-27-2011 05:57 AM

There is a lot that non-libertarians can and should learn from libertarians. I hope the Republican Party, in particular, will always be seeking ways to incorporate as much of that philosophy into its platform and public "brand" as it possibly can.

But, as Phil Gramm might have said, "Libertarianism", as that term is commonly understood, is a recessive gene of American politics. It has never been the view of a majority of Americans; I doubt that it ever will be.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Fort Bend Owl - 05-27-2011 06:18 AM

The same poll had Palin in there in a separate poll (and she was a close 2nd to Romney in that one).

This is far and away the most fragmented the Republicans have ever been at this stage of an election. Barry Goldwater in 1964 is the only other time the eventual candidate was polling below 20 pct a year and a half out. You can see how other elections stacked up here.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/146489/Lack-GOP-Front-Runner-2012-Atypical.aspx

(05-26-2011 09:48 PM)Claw Wrote:  Palin would poll in the top three.

RE: Gallup: Ron Paul tied for 2nd nationally in GOP primary - Native Georgian - 05-27-2011 06:39 AM

(05-27-2011 06:18 AM)Fort Bend Owl Wrote:  This is far and away the most fragmented the Republicans have ever been at this stage of an election. Barry Goldwater in 1964 is the only other time the eventual candidate was polling below 20 pct a year and a half out.

Most delegates were not selected by primary in those days. If they had been, I think the anti-Goldwater forces would have successfully denied him the nomination.

Interesting to see George Romney's name again after all this time. I sometimes wonder if Mitt Romney's determination to become President (he's been running for 6+ years now) is somehow related to his Dad's inability to do so.