CSNbbs
UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day (/thread-465549.html)

Pages: 1 2

UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - MG61 - 11-25-2010 03:27 PM

Just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point. We'll see soon enough as the new coach will be announced Tuesday or Wednesday.

Dan McCarney, Florida Gator DL coach and former Iowa State coach to UNT with a base salary of $585,000 and total package of $950,00 with incentives.

GatorNation Thread
http://thegatornation.freeforums.org/post254485.html

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - cajun4life - 11-25-2010 03:50 PM

(11-25-2010 03:27 PM)MG61 Wrote:  Just an unsubstantiated rumor at this point. We'll see soon enough as the new coach will be announced Tuesday or Wednesday.

Dan McCarney, Florida Gator DL coach and former Iowa State coach to UNT with a base salary of $585,000 and total package of $950,00 with incentives.

GatorNation Thread
http://thegatornation.freeforums.org/post254485.html

That's raising the bar a little...lol. We will see where the Sunbelt will move on from here with 2 programs that will have new coaches next season. UNT, UL and possibly ASU.

The last I had heard we were going to pay around $400-500K plus incentives, but if UNT is shelling out $950K then our price might be adjusted upward as well. We will know a lot more by Dec. 10th.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - bluephi1914 - 11-25-2010 04:16 PM

Didn't he washout at Iowa State? Why would they pay so much for that guy? Is he more suited as a coordinator than as a HC?

ULM is paying $150,000 to $175,000 plus incentives...is it all about the amount you pay in salary, or is it about the type of system the coach runs and the recruits they can bring in?

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - MTPiKapp - 11-25-2010 04:21 PM

In four and a half seasons Todd Dodge won 9 games, in 3 games Mike Canales has won 2, beaten Middle Tennessee(who Dodge was 0-4 against), beaten WKU far worse than Dodge ever did and played Troy within a touchdown(a team that blew Dodge's teams out 3 out of 4 times) and yet this guy out of Florida is the answer?

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - Paul of Troy - 11-25-2010 04:43 PM

(11-25-2010 04:21 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  In four and a half seasons Todd Dodge won 9 games, in 3 games Mike Canales has won 2, beaten Middle Tennessee(who Dodge was 0-4 against), beaten WKU far worse than Dodge ever did and played Troy within a touchdown(a team that blew Dodge's teams out 3 out of 4 times) and yet this guy out of Florida is the answer?

This.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - AtlantaJag - 11-25-2010 05:51 PM

(11-25-2010 04:43 PM)Paul of Troy Wrote:  
(11-25-2010 04:21 PM)MTPiKapp Wrote:  In four and a half seasons Todd Dodge won 9 games, in 3 games Mike Canales has won 2, beaten Middle Tennessee(who Dodge was 0-4 against), beaten WKU far worse than Dodge ever did and played Troy within a touchdown(a team that blew Dodge's teams out 3 out of 4 times) and yet this guy out of Florida is the answer?

This.

McCarney was offered the USA job when he was still at USF but he needed to stay in the state of Florida at that time because of medical needs of a family member so he took the DL position with the Gators.
He did well at ISU. Solid choice - but you're overpaying if your numbers are precise.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - CardinalBlackTrojan - 11-25-2010 06:59 PM

I say stick with Canales. I like what he is doing with the Mean Green.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - thetastygreek - 11-25-2010 07:02 PM

(11-25-2010 06:59 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  I say stick with Canales. I like what he is doing with the Mean Green.

In 4 days, he'll be looking for a HC job elsewhere.

Move quick, and he can be yours.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - arkstfan - 11-25-2010 07:05 PM

Since Iowa State joined in the Big 8 in 1920-whatever only three coaches have had a career winning record there. Some guy in WWII, Earl Bruce, and the current coach. Problem might be more Iowa State than who they've hired.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - CardinalBlackTrojan - 11-25-2010 07:38 PM

(11-25-2010 07:05 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Since Iowa State joined in the Big 8 in 1920-whatever only three coaches have had a career winning record there. Some guy in WWII, Earl Bruce, and the current coach. Problem might be more Iowa State than who they've hired.

Just look at what Gene Chizik has done since leaving Iowa State.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - MTPiKapp - 11-25-2010 07:51 PM

(11-25-2010 07:38 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(11-25-2010 07:05 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Since Iowa State joined in the Big 8 in 1920-whatever only three coaches have had a career winning record there. Some guy in WWII, Earl Bruce, and the current coach. Problem might be more Iowa State than who they've hired.

Just look at what Gene Chizik has done since leaving Iowa State.

Give me enough money to get this guy to draw up my offense...

[Image: gus-malzahn---1001jpg-40197a7492ced54c_large.jpg]

and enough money to get this guy to run that offense...

[Image: cam-newton-game-1.jpg]

And I'm pretty sure I could coach a team to at least 8 or 9 wins. Now I realize that's a lot of money to get both of those guys, but I'd take the job for a lot less than Chizik did.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - CajunT - 11-25-2010 10:06 PM

(11-25-2010 04:16 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  Didn't he washout at Iowa State? Why would they pay so much for that guy? Is he more suited as a coordinator than as a HC?

ULM is paying $150,000 to $175,000 plus incentives...is it all about the amount you pay in salary, or is it about the type of system the coach runs and the recruits they can bring in?

Actually it is both, including scheduling. In talking to our coaches, Berry has done a tremendous job of weeding out the low hanging fruit in the ULM program. As an offensive mind, he has the reputation of developing quarterbacks and has done a tremendous job with Browning. ULM is no longer exempt from APR in football, so I don't think you will see Berry take as many chances on certain athletes as Weatherby did over the last few years in Monroe.

Having the money to make a quality HC hire and pay a good staff is the best way to gain improvement in a program percentage wise. We will see what happens with the Berry regime in Monroe over the next few years once staffs see enough of his offense in the SBC.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - ULMSOT - 11-26-2010 12:13 AM

(11-25-2010 10:06 PM)CajunT Wrote:  
(11-25-2010 04:16 PM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  Didn't he washout at Iowa State? Why would they pay so much for that guy? Is he more suited as a coordinator than as a HC?

Actually it is both, including scheduling. In talking to our coaches, Berry has done a tremendous job of weeding out the low hanging fruit in the ULM program. As an offensive mind, he has the reputation of developing quarterbacks and has done a tremendous job with Browning. ULM is no longer exempt from APR in football, so I don't think you will see Berry take as many chances on certain athletes as Weatherby did over the last few years in Monroe.

Having the money to make a quality HC hire and pay a good staff is the best way to gain improvement in a program percentage wise. We will see what happens with the Berry regime in Monroe over the next few years once staffs see enough of his offense in the SBC.

Hey..a very rare classy post!04-jawdrop 04-cheers

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - SOT1977 - 11-26-2010 09:30 AM

Berry is happy in Monroe, liked the place when he was here the last time. With his contract recently extended another year to 2013 he is intending to stay here at least that long (or so he says). The worry we have is how long his assistants will stay. Our DC, Reffert, is always getting inquiries from other staffs about how he runs that 3-3-5. He's working with a bunch of youngsters this season but he proved the thing worked last year.

It could be said that over the next few years that Berry will make changes in his offense to stay on top of whatever defenses are drawn up by opposing SBC teams, which is what all coaches have to do each season. Right now he works a combination of the spread and the pistol (Nevada lives off the pistol). The pistol is an odd looking offense since it looks like you're running the Statue of Liberty play almost all the time. It drives me crazy to see Browning do a play with his back to the rush but it seems to work.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - InjunJohn - 11-26-2010 10:06 AM

I personnaly like what Cannales is doing at UNT. You would think that would get him some consideration. Question is: Is it the team rallying around the interim because the head coach got fired or is he getting something out of those players that Dodge could not? Obviously, there is the question of "can he recruit".

As far as Berry goes, only time will tell. He has cleaned out most of the bad apples. We all thought this would be a very rough year, especially with all the Freshmen and RS Freshman that would be starting and playing. Plus, we lost a ton on defense. But it looks like that gamble is paying off and won more than most people predicted. I don't think you are going to see chance taking on recruits from Berry. He appears to be looking for certain types of players with the right characters. Like always, it will be "can we keep the assistants." Too much money to be made elswhere.

Now, if ULL doesn't piss in our wheaties Saturday, hopefully I will be planning my trip somewhere in December!!

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - cajun4life - 11-26-2010 11:17 AM

(11-26-2010 10:06 AM)InjunJohn Wrote:  I personnaly like what Cannales is doing at UNT. You would think that would get him some consideration. Question is: Is it the team rallying around the interim because the head coach got fired or is he getting something out of those players that Dodge could not? Obviously, there is the question of "can he recruit".

As far as Berry goes, only time will tell. He has cleaned out most of the bad apples. We all thought this would be a very rough year, especially with all the Freshmen and RS Freshman that would be starting and playing. Plus, we lost a ton on defense. But it looks like that gamble is paying off and won more than most people predicted. I don't think you are going to see chance taking on recruits from Berry. He appears to be looking for certain types of players with the right characters. Like always, it will be "can we keep the assistants." Too much money to be made elswhere.

Now, if ULL doesn't piss in our wheaties Saturday, hopefully I will be planning my trip somewhere in December!!

I don't know who ULL is, but I know that UL 05-stirthepot is having a hard time pissing on our own feet, so I think you guys will be in a bowl this year.

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - bluephi1914 - 11-26-2010 11:46 AM

(11-26-2010 11:17 AM)cajun4life Wrote:  
(11-26-2010 10:06 AM)InjunJohn Wrote:  I personnaly like what Cannales is doing at UNT. You would think that would get him some consideration. Question is: Is it the team rallying around the interim because the head coach got fired or is he getting something out of those players that Dodge could not? Obviously, there is the question of "can he recruit".

I don't know who ULL is, but I know that UL 05-stirthepot is having a hard time pissing on our own feet, so I think you guys will be in a bowl this year.

ULL is that school in Lafayette, Louisiana. UL is that school in Louisville, KY 05-stirthepot

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - MTPiKapp - 11-26-2010 11:48 AM

(11-26-2010 11:46 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

ULL is that school in Lafayette, Louisiana. UL is that school in Louisville, KY 05-stirthepot

To be fair ULL is the school in Lafayette. UL is the branding ULL has chosen to give their athletics...

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - MG61 - 11-26-2010 11:51 AM

(11-26-2010 11:46 AM)bluephi1914 Wrote:  

Why do you folks have to start this childish, juvenile crap in virtually every thread on this board...........geeze.......03-banghead03-banghead

RE: UNT FB Coach - Rumor Of The Day - CajunT - 11-26-2010 12:12 PM

(11-26-2010 09:30 AM)SOT1977 Wrote:  

Berry is happy in Monroe, liked the place when he was here the last time. With his contract recently extended another year to 2013 he is intending to stay here at least that long (or so he says). The worry we have is how long his assistants will stay. Our DC, Reffert, is always getting inquiries from other staffs about how he runs that 3-3-5. He's working with a bunch of youngsters this season but he proved the thing worked last year.

It could be said that over the next few years that Berry will make changes in his offense to stay on top of whatever defenses are drawn up by opposing SBC teams, which is what all coaches have to do each season. Right now he works a combination of the spread and the pistol (Nevada lives off the pistol). The pistol is an odd looking offense since it looks like you're running the Statue of Liberty play almost all the time. It drives me crazy to see Browning do a play with his back to the rush but it seems to work.

If you are going to ask questions about a coach, you go to his peers. Berry has done an outstanding job and deserves the credit he is getting.

Our staff stated that he runs new plays every game, including four that they have never seen in college football. His offensive mind speaks for itself and if ULM makes to a bowl it will be a major lift to the program.