CSNbbs
Hawaii thinking Big West ? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Hawaii thinking Big West ? (/thread-455336.html)

Hawaii thinking Big West ? - MG61 - 09-30-2010 11:56 AM

EXERPT

The Big West athletic director said a move to his league, "would probably save (Hawaii) a lot of travel expense money by maintaining league travel competition in the state of California."

Said a UH coach, "from a money, competition and recruiting standpoint, the Big West makes the most sense for most of our sports."

ARTICLE
http://www.staradvertiser.com/sports/sportsnews/20100930_UH_coaches_favor_Big_West.html

RE: Hawaii thinking Big West ? - KAjunRaider - 09-30-2010 11:58 AM

Georgia State headed to the WAC ? j/k

RE: Hawaii thinking Big West ? - ManzanoWolf - 09-30-2010 12:28 PM

This statement is pretty telling:

Some coaches say they have begun to tell prospective recruits UH is likely to be in the Big West in two years.

RE: Hawaii thinking Big West ? - Burn the Horse - 09-30-2010 04:59 PM

(09-30-2010 11:58 AM)KAjunRaider Wrote:  Georgia State headed to the WAC ? j/k

thanks for the Coke on my keyboard.

RE: Hawaii thinking Big West ? - crawfish3 - 09-30-2010 05:24 PM

(09-30-2010 04:59 PM)Burn the Horse Wrote:  

thanks for the Coke on my keyboard.

I currently live in Southeast Asia and I hear Benson contacted UBB (University of Brunei-Bandar) about possible WAC (wac wac wac) membership. Of course they would have to start up American Football, baseball, basketball, etc. 05-stirthepot

RE: Hawaii thinking Big West ? - FIUFan - 10-01-2010 03:13 PM

(09-30-2010 05:24 PM)crawfish3 Wrote:  I currently live in Southeast Asia and I hear Benson contacted UBB (University of Brunei-Bandar) about possible WAC (wac wac wac) membership. Of course they would have to start up American Football, baseball, basketball, etc. 05-stirthepot

That is correct. They are well within the WAC's geographic footprint and would make an excellent travel partner for Hawai'i.

RE: Hawaii thinking Big West ? - TopperTorpedo - 10-06-2010 02:46 PM

La Tech headed to the Ohio Valley Conference?

RE: Hawaii thinking Big West ? - arkstfan - 10-06-2010 05:02 PM

If Hawaii were to make this move (I'm mildly skeptical because they've talked of this for nearly a decade now) the WAC is not a viable entity. They will need ASAP help from the NCAA to deal with auto bids and the distribution of NCAA revenue. Yes, the NCAA has talked of changing those rules but they haven't done it yet.

I wonder what support such a change would have faced with the possibility of the league disintegrating.

On one hand some might be content to let the league die in order to stem the potential tide of schools moving to FBS and to eliminate one of the auto bids.

On the other hand, the track history of the NCAA has been to try to avoid putting people out of business.