CSNbbs
The movie thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: The movie thread (/thread-433700.html)

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 08-01-2012 11:56 PM

The Green Hornet /dvd
--Not bad actually... it was missing "the thing" to get me to buy it but the on screen chemistry between Kato and Green Hornet was great... and the gadgets were top notch.

GI Joe: Rise of Cobra / dvd
--I did like the movie but I do wish they had had more Joes in it. Hopefully #2 will be as good or better.

Chronicles of Narnia:Dawn Treader / br
--Liked it...wanted more though

Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian / br
--Best of the three out now IMO.

RE: The movie thread - DrTorch - 08-02-2012 12:51 PM

(07-19-2012 04:03 PM)Blazer4Life14 Wrote:  I watched Mystery Men for the first time the other day. I thought it was pretty good, and was fairly surprised I hadn't heard of it until then, considering I've heard of other Stiller movies from the time (Zoolander, Meet The Parents, etc). Certainly not his best work, but it was decent and had a few good laughs in it.

It wasn't Stiller solo, the rest of the cast really left their mark too. But that's not a negative. I always liked it, I think it's a very good movie.

RE: The movie thread - bitcruncher - 08-02-2012 01:24 PM

If Mystery Men depended on Stiller's acting to make it a good movie, they'd have been up the creek...

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 08-04-2012 10:29 PM

new Total Recall.

no spoilers but I do like it but my final thoughts are mixed in regards to arguing/debating Total Recall/Arnold vs Total Recall/Collin.

Don't worry though, the acting and action are both solid in the new one.

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 08-06-2012 10:31 AM

the intouchables. overall this was a solid film. could have been great imo. the humor surprised me. felt like it was missing something, but i couldn't put a finger on it. i'm terrible at reviewing anything so i went over to rotten tomatoes and read some reviews. and yes, there was the something i felt was missing. some of the scenes could have been longer and more drawn out. i wouldn't have minded, and even wanted, if the movie was another hour longer. even at like two hours, it seems like they rushed through it. with that said, it's worth the price of admission. i mean, the trailer, how could you resist?

RE: The movie thread - Smaug - 08-06-2012 02:47 PM

(08-02-2012 12:51 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  
(07-19-2012 04:03 PM)Blazer4Life14 Wrote:  I watched Mystery Men for the first time the other day. I thought it was pretty good, and was fairly surprised I hadn't heard of it until then, considering I've heard of other Stiller movies from the time (Zoolander, Meet The Parents, etc). Certainly not his best work, but it was decent and had a few good laughs in it.

It wasn't Stiller solo, the rest of the cast really left their mark too. But that's not a negative. I always liked it, I think it's a very good movie.

A very quotable movie.

"They said he came home drunk one night, fell down an elevator shaft, and landed on a bunch of bullets." 03-lol

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 08-10-2012 10:28 PM

Quantum of Solace/ dvd
--pretty good Bond... liked the level of depth of conspiracy..but it still felt short and like needed something more.

All three Bourne Films /dvd
--Still love all three.

The Bourne Legacy / Theater
--trying not to give spoilers but I did feel like they could have done much more with the premise listed of moving higher up the food chain in terms of programs "The Treadstone" team was involved with. Action was solid and so was Renner in being a bad ass.

Black Panther series/ NF Stream
--FINISHED The animated Black Panther series on Net Flix. Pretty solid cartoon in a very different visual style than most. Good voice casting and plots...wished the episodes weren't the 10-15m variety though. With the quality I saw I was surprised it didn't have more than one season.

RE: The movie thread - Smaug - 08-13-2012 01:15 PM

Red Dawn 2012 Trailer

Looks like it might not be half bad.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 08-15-2012 10:34 PM

Back to the Future I, II, and III / BR

WOW, print of each movie is excellent. I like the first and third. The second was kind of weak sans hoverboard. I think they made it over complicated in terms of plotline.

RE: The movie thread - DaSaintFan - 08-16-2012 07:44 AM

(08-02-2012 12:51 PM)DrTorch Wrote:  

If it weren't for William Macy, that movie wouldn't have been as much fun as it would have been..

Him keeping a perfectly straight face during the egg salad sandwich scene... PRICELESS!!!

RE: The movie thread - bitcruncher - 08-16-2012 08:31 AM

I love watching William H. Macy, Da. He's a riot...

RE: The movie thread - nomad2u2001 - 08-17-2012 08:44 PM

I've been on a Swedish movie bender. I've been learning the language:

All of the movies from the Millennium series (girl with the dragon tattoo): NF Stream
Really good series. Subtitles are a tad off but they get the gist. I love movies where business dealings/government bureaucracies start to form intricate webs en route to solving a crime a la The Wire.

Let the Right One In (also Swedish): NF Stream
It's an excellent movie and has been remade as Let Me In. It's a vampire movie without a lot of vampire stuff in it I guess.

The Heir: Largo Winch (Belgian with dialogue in French and English): NF Stream
Another business/bureaucratic thriller. Almost James Bondish in theme. I used to read the comic when it was published in French.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 08-17-2012 09:36 PM

(08-17-2012 08:44 PM)nomad2u2001 Wrote:  I've been on a Swedish movie bender. I've been learning the language:

All of the movies from the Millennium series (girl with the dragon tattoo): NF Stream
Really good series. Subtitles are a tad off but they get the gist. I love movies where business dealings/government bureaucracies start to form intricate webs en route to solving a crime a la The Wire.

Let the Right One In (also Swedish): NF Stream
It's an excellent movie and has been remade as Let Me In. It's a vampire movie without a lot of vampire stuff in it I guess.

The Heir: Largo Winch (Belgian with dialogue in French and English): NF Stream
Another business/bureaucratic thriller. Almost James Bondish in theme. I used to read the comic when it was published in French.

I watched that Girl With the Dragon Tattoo version via Net Flix... very solid 6 parter no doubt.

Expendables 2..... 04-jawdrop04-rock04-rock04-rock

RE: The movie thread - BEARCATDALE - 08-17-2012 11:47 PM

Just saw Moonrise Kingdom with the dear wife. Admittedly it is quirky and not your mainstream type movie but is it is engaging and funny at times. Bill Murray has some great scenes and lines. It's not the your typical fair but that is why we went to see it. Something different.

RE: The movie thread - bitcruncher - 08-18-2012 08:06 AM

I finally got around to watching Cowboys and Aliens last night. I liked it. I thought it would be kind of cheesy, like most sci-fi movies. But it was very well done...

RE: The movie thread - jh - 08-18-2012 10:59 AM

Did anyone see this when it came out? It looks kind of awesome in an incredibly bad way. I mean, how can you go wrong with Nazis invading from the moon?

http://ironsky.net/

RE: The movie thread - bitcruncher - 08-18-2012 11:27 AM

There's the question of how Nazis got to the moon in the first place. Rocketry was in it's infancy, and a German rocket's range during the war was limited to Great Britain. They didn't have the lift capacity to reach LEO (low Earth orbit), much less an escape trajectory (lunar). Also, creating an environment in space was beyond the technological capabilities of the Germans, much less anyone else at that time. How would the Germans be able to survive long enough to create an environment in which they could live in space, much less grow strong enough to battle Earth?

Of course, I'm probably the only person who'll take the time to think about the logistics behind the concept...

RE: The movie thread - BlazerJoe - 08-18-2012 02:17 PM

(08-18-2012 10:59 AM)jh Wrote:  Did anyone see this when it came out? It looks kind of awesome in an incredibly bad way. I mean, how can you go wrong with Nazis invading from the moon?

http://ironsky.net/

I actually do want to see this. This looks like a silly good time.

(08-18-2012 11:27 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  There's the question of how Nazis got to the moon in the first place. Rocketry was in it's infancy, and a German rocket's range during the war was limited to Great Britain. They didn't have the lift capacity to reach LEO (low Earth orbit), much less an escape trajectory (lunar). Also, creating an environment in space was beyond the technological capabilities of the Germans, much less anyone else at that time. How would the Germans be able to survive long enough to create an environment in which they could live in space, much less grow strong enough to battle Earth?

Of course, I'm probably the only person who'll take the time to think about the logistics behind the concept...

Probably not, but it's cool.

RE: The movie thread - nomad2u2001 - 08-19-2012 12:19 AM

Anybody seen RockNRolla?

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 08-21-2012 09:42 PM

Minority Report/ BR
--I like the movie a lot...good plot and acting... cool plot twist. But, the BR print versus the dvd print of the movie.... in some areas it stands out, in others there is a lot of digital noise in the movie.