CSNbbs
The movie thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: The Sports Bar (/forum-531.html)
+---- Thread: The movie thread (/thread-433700.html)

The movie thread - Lush - 05-03-2010 10:10 PM

The Zach and Miri thread got me to thinking we need this, could generate some more posters. (the movie was alright, funny, don't remember the part Rebel finds so humorous. will have to revisit)

The last film I saw was "An Education." This was pretty fantastic. Coming of age story set in the British 1960's. A sophisticated teenage girl meets a charming and alluring older man (I'd wager the dude was portrayed as young 30's) and gets to live the life she thinks she wants. The acting was so superb. The dad was spot on. Carey Mulligan deserves her accolades, but the real star was Peter Sarsgaard (aka the older dude). Every person in the film was so intrigued by him and I couldn't help but be captivated as well.

Can't imagine many of you meat and potato folks would watch the above. So I offer, Dead Snow. It's a camp zombie flick with Norwegian subtitles. It's about Nazi zombies. Loads of fun. If you like Evil Dead, you'll like it.

RE: The movie thread - Tymanh99 - 05-03-2010 10:37 PM

good idea zig.

i just watched shutter island for the first time last night, and the movie is a masterpiece. keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time, great acting (dicaprio's character is excellent), and the ending is genius.

imo one of the best movies in a long time.

what do you all think?

RE: The movie thread - flyingswoosh - 05-03-2010 10:57 PM

(05-03-2010 10:10 PM)Lush Wrote:  The Zach and Miri thread got me to thinking we need this, could generate some more posters. (the movie was alright, funny, don't remember the part Rebel finds so humorous. will have to revisit)

The last film I saw was "An Education." This was pretty fantastic. Coming of age story set in the British 1960's. A sophisticated teenage girl meets a charming and alluring older man (I'd wager the dude was portrayed as young 30's) and gets to live the life she thinks she wants. The acting was so superb. The dad was spot on. Carey Mulligan deserves her accolades, but the real star was Peter Sarsgaard (aka the older dude). Every person in the film was so intrigued by him and I couldn't help but be captivated as well.

now i don't know who to believe. My grandparents absolutely loved that movie, but my girlfriend hated it. Although she loves Flicka, so i think i might have answered my own query

RE: The movie thread - flyingswoosh - 05-03-2010 10:58 PM

(05-03-2010 10:37 PM)Tymanh99 Wrote:  good idea zig.

i just watched shutter island for the first time last night, and the movie is a masterpiece. keeps you on the edge of your seat the entire time, great acting (dicaprio's character is excellent), and the ending is genius.

what do you all think?

i was upset by it. To me, the ending was a huge letdown. I can see how people could love it, but i got so attached to the protagonist that i refused, for the longest time, to believe that he was actually crazy, so when i finally relented it was such a letdown.

RE: The movie thread - T-Monay820 - 05-03-2010 11:14 PM

The African Queen

Not quite what it has been hyped up to, but an enjoyable movie and not a waste of time. Some pretty good humor throughout, though it does feel slightly drawn out at times. Not for everyone though.

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 05-03-2010 11:30 PM

(05-03-2010 10:57 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(05-03-2010 10:10 PM)Lush Wrote:  The Zach and Miri thread got me to thinking we need this, could generate some more posters. (the movie was alright, funny, don't remember the part Rebel finds so humorous. will have to revisit)

now i don't know who to believe. My grandparents absolutely loved that movie, but my girlfriend hated it. Although she loves Flicka, so i think i might have answered my own query

I would have loved the ending to be a 180. I won't give you any spoilers, let's just say it ends "safe." There's a lot of intrigue, no frills, but speculation abounds.

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 05-03-2010 11:37 PM

(05-03-2010 10:58 PM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  

what do you all think?

i was upset by it. To me, the ending was a huge letdown. I can see how people could love it, but i got so attached to the protagonist that i refused, for the longest time, to believe that he was actually crazy, so when i finally relented it was such a letdown.

Thanks for the spoiler there Swoosh. 01-lauramac2 I still want to see it. I've gathered from coworkers and family that this film is hit or miss, but the as the saying goes, "Dicaprio + Scorsese= Gold. Leo won't replace De Niro as Martin's go to, but he's damn convincing.

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 05-03-2010 11:43 PM

(05-03-2010 11:37 PM)Lush Wrote:  

what do you all think?

Thanks for the spoiler there Swoosh. 01-lauramac2 I still want to see it. I've gathered from coworkers and family that this film is hit or miss, but the as the saying goes, "Dicaprio + Scorsese= Gold. Leo won't replace De Niro as Martin's go to, but he's damn convincing.

I liked it....but I agree, the ending was like oooooooooooooooooohhhhh really....I could never decide if I liked it or not. I haven't seen it since the theatre.

Recently I have seen

Clash of the Titans;
--pretty good but over marketed the Kragon in terms of hype vs. screen time. I still think I would have liked the original stop-motion better.

A Nightmare on Elm Street.
--definitely a more serious take on the series than I was expecting. The new one is a pseudo remake of the first one but with homages to some of Freddy's kills and a lot more background info on how Freddy got to be FREDDY. Only thing I found odd was that Nancy's dad wasn't in this one...considering his lineage in the first one...

might see The Losers

definitely will see Iron Man 2 this weekend.

RE: The movie thread - flyingswoosh - 05-04-2010 08:20 AM

(05-03-2010 11:37 PM)Lush Wrote:  

what do you all think?

probably should've put spoiler alert in there. my bad

RE: The movie thread - T-Monay820 - 05-09-2010 10:21 AM

Saw Iron Man 2 last night. Felt kind of like Star Trek in tempo, very fast for most of the movie with the occasional slow part for plot and character development but never took away from the film. Robert Downey, Jr is even better in this one, and you can never go wrong with Scarlett Johansson.

RE: The movie thread - flyingswoosh - 05-09-2010 11:34 AM

(05-09-2010 10:21 AM)T-Monay820 Wrote:  Saw Iron Man 2 last night. Felt kind of like Star Trek in tempo, very fast for most of the movie with the occasional slow part for plot and character development but never took away from the film. Robert Downey, Jr is even better in this one, and you can never go wrong with Scarlett Johansson.

definitely have to disagree. It was nothing like start trek, mainly because star trek was awesome and iron man wasn't that good. it was so slow and the scenes just didn't seem to fit together. What's weird is that i liked or loved every single scene (especially scarlett's fight scene, but they just never seemed to mesh which was a shame. but yeah, robert downey jr was great again. definitely not as good as spider man 2 or xmen 2

RE: The movie thread - PirateTreasureNC - 05-09-2010 01:32 PM

(05-09-2010 11:34 AM)flyingswoosh Wrote:  
(05-09-2010 10:21 AM)T-Monay820 Wrote:  Saw Iron Man 2 last night. Felt kind of like Star Trek in tempo, very fast for most of the movie with the occasional slow part for plot and character development but never took away from the film. Robert Downey, Jr is even better in this one, and you can never go wrong with Scarlett Johansson.

definitely have to disagree. It was nothing like start trek, mainly because star trek was awesome and iron man wasn't that good. it was so slow and the scenes just didn't seem to fit together. What's weird is that i liked or loved every single scene (especially scarlett's fight scene, but they just never seemed to mesh which was a shame. but yeah, robert downey jr was great again. definitely not as good as spider man 2 or xmen 2

I agree, it is not AS good as the first one but it also went in a more action driven tone so it was a "different" movie so to speak. I felt the plot was interesting but again, they went more action inspired. I thought RDJr played Stark well yet again.

I found the CEO of Hammer the most annoying part of the whole movie.

RE: The movie thread - T-Monay820 - 05-09-2010 06:38 PM

I found both films had very active action sequences with lots of activity in the background not centered around the primaries on camera (versus something like a Bourne or Bond film, which focused on the actions of the lead), which resulted in a frenetic feel. I actually liked this slightly better than Star Trek (though I do want to see IM2 again since I spent some of it trying to figure out what SHIELD was).

RE: The movie thread - flyingswoosh - 05-09-2010 07:09 PM

(05-09-2010 01:32 PM)PirateTreasureNC Wrote:  

I agree, it is not AS good as the first one but it also went in a more action driven tone so it was a "different" movie so to speak. I felt the plot was interesting but again, they went more action inspired. I thought RDJr played Stark well yet again.

I found the CEO of Hammer the most annoying part of the whole movie.

i thought there'd be a lot more action. it took so much time before we actually got to see any.

and i liked Justin Hammer. He was funny

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 05-10-2010 03:05 AM

Has anyone seen Moon yet? One of the better Sci-fi films I've seen. Sam Rockwell stars in this psychological space thriller. David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones makes an epic directorial debut. Nothing fancy, no high budget special effects, just an ode to the old fashioned way of movie making. I've never had conversations about a film like this one before. Sam Rockwell could very well be my favorite actor. How'd he fair in Iron Man?

Just finished watching Paris, je t'aime. 18 directors each with five minute films. Each film is a story that deals with the idea of love, whether it be heartbreak, longing, losing a loved one, or just wanting to fall in love with a vampire. There are quite a few good scenes. My favorite film was the Mimes. Some throw you for a quite a twist. It's pretty amazing watching, the way they can a fit an amazing story into five minutes. I recommend. Notable directors: Coen Brothers, Wes Craven, GĂ©rard Depardieu, Walter Salles, Gus Van Sant, Tom Tykwer. Notable actors: Elijah Wood, Natalie Portman, Nick Nolte, Steve Buschemi, Bob Hoskins, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Willem Dafoe. The style reminded me of the Jim Jarmusch film Coffee & Cigarettes, if you've seen it. I highly recommend that as well. They made an American version of the film called New York, I Love You, haven't seen it yet and heard it doesn't live up the original.

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 05-26-2010 05:46 PM

Watch Iron Man for the first time yesterday. Wtf is the fuss all about? I mean it was alright, kinda dull. Don't get why Jeff Bridges' character was initially setting Tony Stark up.

Looking forward to watching Black Dynamite tonight.

RE: The movie thread - bitcruncher - 05-26-2010 06:49 PM

(05-26-2010 05:46 PM)Lush Wrote:  Watch Iron Man for the first time yesterday. Wtf is the fuss all about? I mean it was alright, kinda dull. Don't get why Jeff Bridges' character was initially setting Tony Stark up.

All the background material you need to understand is in the original comic book series...

RE: The movie thread - Lush - 05-26-2010 08:19 PM

(05-26-2010 06:49 PM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(05-26-2010 05:46 PM)Lush Wrote:  Watch Iron Man for the first time yesterday. Wtf is the fuss all about? I mean it was alright, kinda dull. Don't get why Jeff Bridges' character was initially setting Tony Stark up.

All the background material you need to understand is in the original comic book series...

I don't think I'll be doing that. I was unimpressed with Watchmen. Granted different mediums.

RE: The movie thread - Jesterondirt - 05-27-2010 04:43 AM

Oceans 11,12 and 13

thoughts?

RE: The movie thread - bitcruncher - 05-27-2010 11:51 AM

(05-27-2010 04:43 AM)bleed blue and gold Wrote:  Oceans 11,12 and 13

thoughts?
They were movies...