CSNbbs
South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice (/thread-353286.html)

Pages: 1 2

South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - TroyFootball05 - 03-10-2009 09:06 PM

Found this on the middletenn board:

http://www.al.com/usafootball/press-register/index.ssf?/base/sports/123667658534250.xml&coll=3

...On a sunny Monday afternoon ? 459 days after the school announced it would field a football team ? the Jags took to the field for the first time.

"I want to see that look in your eyes every day out here," Jones told his players. "I want to see that competition in your eyes. ... It's not going to be smooth right now,. but don't worry about it. It's all going to work itself out."

The first item of business was to simply go through Monday's workout. After so much talk about the program and all the steps that must be taken in getting it off the ground, Jones and his staff finally found themselves where they have waited to get to for almost a year ? on the field.

"It's great to be out here," Jones said after the almost three-hour practice. "I don't think we're going to be winning the Super Bowl tomorrow night, but I think the coaches did a great job of organizing practice. That's as organized a first practice as I've ever seen a team go through."

There was plenty of activity through the practice, with players quickly moving from group work to position work and back as though they had been at this for a few days.

To an outsider, it looked much like any other spring football practice in which players were dressed in helmets and shorts but no pads. To those who know the background of the program and what took place before Monday's first practice, the scene had much greater meaning.

"It's everything," said wide receiver Erling Riis, a sophomore who played his prep at Mobile's UMS-Wright and spent one season with Jones at Birmingham-Southern College. "We've been working for over a year now to get ready for this first practice."

Riis, one of more than 80 walk-ons to take part in Monday's practice, said he had an idea of what to expect and the emotions that would be in play at the first practice thanks to his time at Birmingham-Southern......

QUICK FACTS:

SOUTH ALABAMA QUICK FACTS

UNIVERSITY INFORMATION
Name: University of South Alabama
Founded: 1963
Enrollment: 14,003
President: Gordon Moulton
Nickname: Jaguars
Colors: Blue, Red and White
Conference: Sun Belt
Home Stadium: Ladd-Peebles (40,646)

TENTATIVE TEAM INFORMATION
First Team: 2009
First Full Schedule: 2010
First NCAA Transition Year: 2011
First Football Bowl Subdivision Year: 2013
First Sun Belt Conference/Bowl-Eligible Year: 2013

COACHING STAFF
Head Coach: Joey Jones (Alabama '89)
Overall Record: 1-7 (four-year schools only)
Record at school: 0-0
Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator: Bill Clark (Jacksonville State '90)
Offensive Coordinator: Les Koenning (Texas '81)
Linebackers: Kurt Crain (Auburn '87)
Defensive Backs: Duwan Walker (Troy '96)
Offensive Line (Guards and Centers): John Turner (Jacksonville State '88)
Offensive Line (Tackles and Tight Ends): Mitch Rodrigue (Nicholls State '88)
Wide Receivers: Dameyune Craig (Auburn '02)
Recruiting Coordinator/Defensive Staff: Brian Turner (Troy '00)
Strength & Conditioning Coach: Chuck Dunn (Troy '97)

http://www.usajaguars.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8300&ATCLID=1349510&SPID=12275&SPSID=99701

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - Burn the Horse - 03-10-2009 09:25 PM

Bill Clark won three consecutive state championships and was ranked in the top 3 nationally for two years while at Prattville. frankly, i'm surprised he went to South. He had other offers previous to taking the USA job. they are extremely fortunate to have him.

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - TroyFootball05 - 03-10-2009 09:30 PM

(03-10-2009 09:25 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  Bill Clark won three consecutive state championships and was ranked in the top 3 nationally for two years while at Prattville. frankly, i'm surprised he went to South. He had other offers previous to taking the USA job. they are extremely fortunate to have him.

What about that Todd Dodge guy? Wasn't he pretty successful at Southlake Carroll in Texas?

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - thetastygreek - 03-10-2009 09:52 PM

(03-10-2009 09:30 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(03-10-2009 09:25 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  Bill Clark won three consecutive state championships and was ranked in the top 3 nationally for two years while at Prattville. frankly, i'm surprised he went to South. He had other offers previous to taking the USA job. they are extremely fortunate to have him.

What about that Todd Dodge guy? Wasn't he pretty successful at Southlake Carroll in Texas?

03-banghead

Please make the hurting stop.

Now that Basketball season is over for us, all we've got going on is the Todd Dodge Death March. Should wrap up about the time that Basketball season tips off again.

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - TroyFootball05 - 03-10-2009 10:01 PM

(03-10-2009 09:52 PM)thetastygreek Wrote:  

03-banghead

Please make the hurting stop.

Now that Basketball season is over for us, all we've got going on is the Todd Dodge Death March. Should wrap up about the time that Basketball season tips off again.

Ok, my bad. Wow though...Todd Dodge Death March??? LOL

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - Burn the Horse - 03-10-2009 10:08 PM

Yes, but Clark isn't the head coach. he is the defensive coordinator. he's doing it the right way. learning, then moving on. he'll be a top notch DI-A coach one day.

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - Charlie NT73 - 03-12-2009 11:49 AM

There are 3178 registered members of "GoMeanGreen.com".
There are a handful of these members that are "Dodgebangers" that
will use any and all avenues to imply the entire Mean Green nation hates
Todd Dodge, and that Todd Dodge is the root cause for the fall of NT
football. It is easy to point out losses, insult the coaches, and adminstration,
and declare "The Todd Dodge Death March" is under way. What a bunch of CRAP! The SBC fans are smart enough not to buy into what the few Dodgebangers preach. I will say this. The construction plan is on schedule,
goals are being accomplished, new added features installed, a solid supply of quality materials coming in each year, all focused on one objective. Winning.
I will leave my posting as is. The 2009 season will be proof enough.

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - thetastygreek - 03-12-2009 01:33 PM

(03-12-2009 11:49 AM)Charlie NT73 Wrote:  There are 3178 registered members of "GoMeanGreen.com".
There are a handful of these members that are "Dodgebangers" that
will use any and all avenues to imply the entire Mean Green nation hates
Todd Dodge, and that Todd Dodge is the root cause for the fall of NT
football. It is easy to point out losses, insult the coaches, and adminstration,
and declare "The Todd Dodge Death March" is under way. What a bunch of CRAP! The SBC fans are smart enough not to buy into what the few Dodgebangers preach. I will say this. The construction plan is on schedule,
goals are being accomplished, new added features installed, a solid supply of quality materials coming in each year, all focused on one objective. Winning.
I will leave my posting as is. The 2009 season will be proof enough.

I'm not going to get into a slap fight with some other Mean Green fan on a Sun Belt forum.

I'm not saying I hate Todd Dodge. I'm not saying North Texas fans hate Todd Dodge.

I'm saying that nothing I've seen from Todd Dodge leads me to believe we'll have any significant improvement. My only real hope is that proven commodity/NT hero DC Gary DeLoach will be able to improve the defense enough to keep this year from being as disgusting and embarrassing as the previous two.

I'm saying Todd Dodge is off to one of the all time worst starts in the history of college football, the likes of which almost no coach ever recovers from. I am saying that in the history of the Sun Belt (post-NT), Todd Dodge is off to a worse start than any other coach.

Either Todd Dodge will improve things dramatically this year, or the season will be another grim slog to his inevitable termination.

If you want to spin fairy tales about sunshine, rainbows, and puppy dogs, GoMeanGreen.com is there for you. I won't be back for at least three months.

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - Charlie NT73 - 03-13-2009 03:00 PM

Very cute Greek, tales about sunshine, fairys, rainbows. Beleive me, Greek, I could toss out many zinggers here too. Ohh, a slap fight. On a SBC board!
Typical Dodgebanger post. Go ahead and crawl under your rock for 3 months! You will not be missed!
Since you are compelled to proclaim to the SBC members, on a posting regarding the Univ of South Alabama, "all we have going is the Todd Dodge
Death March'", I think you should post the same message on GMG, I am sure
the Mean Green fans would like to see your posting! If you had a pair, you
would post your "death march" up on GoMeanGreen.com. Naw-you will not do that. So you better head out for you rock, hibernate for 3months, and have
your own dreams of fairys, rainbow warriors, sunshine, and little puppy dogs.

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - dahbeed - 03-13-2009 03:34 PM

actually i don't think he mentioned anything about fairys. not that there's anything wrong with them

he did mention fairy tales about sunshine, rainbows and puppy dogs.

as a wku fan i like to throw in unicorns and daffodils when i drop the puppy bomb on folks but that's just me.

you're welcome.

p.s. can i use 'death march' in re david eLLLLLLLLson?

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - CMJ - 03-13-2009 06:54 PM

He can't post on GMG.com Charlie, he was banned for 3 months. And if you paid attention Tasty was very vocal in his expectations(ie low expectations) about the future of Dodge at NT.

I think we all hope NT will be successful in the Fall. But I feel TastyGreek's assertions are not out of bounds here. Things look very grim for the forseeable future as far as NT Football in concerned.

That said, I've always been one that said someone needs 4 years before you really can fire him(unless he he did something illegal or something). So I have every expectation that we'll win about 3-5 games total the next couple of years before we let him go.

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - airtroop - 03-14-2009 12:42 AM

I really don't understand how or why this thread takes such a frigging turn. South Alabama has fielded its first team, I've been to two out of their three practices, it's incredibly well-organized, and there is a LOT of D-IA talent on the field at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. The coaching staff includes many with either NFL or D-IA experience and when I'm sitting there with the other one-hundred other or so (Plus-Or-Minus) thrilled fans, I know damned good and well I'm watching a MAJOR college program with MAJOR college talent before my very eyes. Their passing game, the QB's, the receivers, the RB's and even the DB's are incredibly F-A-S-T and ready for Prime Time.

I'm THRILLED to be seeing what I'm seeing. In two short years, the Jags will be playing a mostly SBC schedule like WKU did and they've already got written contracts with Southern Miss, Tennesee, a 2-and-2 home-and-home series with Navy, Mississippi State, and a few other "big-time" schools you've all heard of (rumors on those latter mentioned).

They get next week off for Spring Break then they come back in full pads and I cannot WAIT to see it. Big things are happening in Mobile, Alabama with the USA Jags and while I'm not talking "smack", like WKU, the Jags don't do ANY sport "half assed". They're going 100 MPH right now and look for them to be a factor within a few years of the time when they are considered to be Bowl Eligible, thanks in part to our sister schools FAU and USF who are graciously reaching out to say "Here's where we screwed up, this is what we'd advise you to do" to a coach (Joey Jones) who's already been there, done that, and got the T-Shirt.

For those who don't know, the Jags already have seven home games BOOKED and it's rumored they have no less than two booked on the road for this year, mostly against NCAA D-II, D-III, J/C and NAIA schools. They will be TECHNICALLY classified as an NCAA "unclassified varsity full-scholarship" team this year, which means this AIN'T "club football". Next year and for the next two years they'll be a full NCAA D-IAA (FCS) team and the following year they'll be (correct me if I'm wrong) a full member of the SBC and totally bowl-eligible.

Again, in TWO-SHORT YEARS we'll be seeing USA versus future SBC opponents on a regular basis. While You've gotta walk before you run, don't expect this team to be your next "lay-down" opponent. They're traditionally daunting (SBC-wise) in baseball, basketball, golf, track, or whatever and you can expect them to be daunting in football soon enough. Such is the tradition and history of USA Sports. Can we PLEASE get back on topic? Just a request, not a demand :-)

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - MeanGreenEagle - 03-14-2009 01:03 AM

(03-13-2009 03:00 PM)Charlie NT73 Wrote:  Very cute Greek, tales about sunshine, fairys, rainbows. Beleive me, Greek, I could toss out many zinggers here too. Ohh, a slap fight. On a SBC board!
Typical Dodgebanger post. Go ahead and crawl under your rock for 3 months! You will not be missed!
Since you are compelled to proclaim to the SBC members, on a posting regarding the Univ of South Alabama, "all we have going is the Todd Dodge
Death March'", I think you should post the same message on GMG, I am sure
the Mean Green fans would like to see your posting! If you had a pair, you
would post your "death march" up on GoMeanGreen.com. Naw-you will not do that. So you better head out for you rock, hibernate for 3months, and have
your own dreams of fairys, rainbow warriors, sunshine, and little puppy dogs.

Hey, we're all on the same (losing) team here. No need to fling dark green pooh and kelly green pooh at each other.

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - stebo - 03-14-2009 05:30 AM

Are you sure that you will be IAA (FCS) for two years? I believe that a team that moves to IAA must stay there for 5 years. I think that you are going to stay unclassfied in 09, and 10 ... than be Div I transitional for 11 and 12... and than (hopefully) you will meet all the requirements and be Div IA (FBS). Or are you limited to 65 ship players right now? I am pretty sure that you are being treated as a transitional already because you don't have any scholarship players yet. Please correct me on this if I am getting it wrong; its just that when you mentioned you would be FCS for two years - that doesn't jive because if you go that route - I believe that you must play at least 5 years at that level before even starting the transition (see UCA).

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - Burn the Horse - 03-14-2009 09:08 AM

(03-14-2009 12:42 AM)airtroop Wrote:  I really don't understand how or why this thread takes such a frigging turn. South Alabama has fielded its first team, I've been to two out of their three practices, it's incredibly well-organized, and there is a LOT of D-IA talent on the field at Ladd-Peebles Stadium. The coaching staff includes many with either NFL or D-IA experience and when I'm sitting there with the other one-hundred other or so (Plus-Or-Minus) thrilled fans, I know damned good and well I'm watching a MAJOR college program with MAJOR college talent before my very eyes. Their passing game, the QB's, the receivers, the RB's and even the DB's are incredibly F-A-S-T and ready for Prime Time.

I'm THRILLED to be seeing what I'm seeing. In two short years, the Jags will be playing a mostly SBC schedule like WKU did and they've already got written contracts with Southern Miss, Tennesee, a 2-and-2 home-and-home series with Navy, Mississippi State, and a few other "big-time" schools you've all heard of (rumors on those latter mentioned).

They get next week off for Spring Break then they come back in full pads and I cannot WAIT to see it. Big things are happening in Mobile, Alabama with the USA Jags and while I'm not talking "smack", like WKU, the Jags don't do ANY sport "half assed". They're going 100 MPH right now and look for them to be a factor within a few years of the time when they are considered to be Bowl Eligible, thanks in part to our sister schools FAU and USF who are graciously reaching out to say "Here's where we screwed up, this is what we'd advise you to do" to a coach (Joey Jones) who's already been there, done that, and got the T-Shirt.

For those who don't know, the Jags already have seven home games BOOKED and it's rumored they have no less than two booked on the road for this year, mostly against NCAA D-II, D-III, J/C and NAIA schools. They will be TECHNICALLY classified as an NCAA "unclassified varsity full-scholarship" team this year, which means this AIN'T "club football". Next year and for the next two years they'll be a full NCAA D-IAA (FCS) team and the following year they'll be (correct me if I'm wrong) a full member of the SBC and totally bowl-eligible.

Again, in TWO-SHORT YEARS we'll be seeing USA versus future SBC opponents on a regular basis. While You've gotta walk before you run, don't expect this team to be your next "lay-down" opponent. They're traditionally daunting (SBC-wise) in baseball, basketball, golf, track, or whatever and you can expect them to be daunting in football soon enough. Such is the tradition and history of USA Sports. Can we PLEASE get back on topic? Just a request, not a demand :-)

i look forward to having you guys in the Conference, we need someone new to beat up on. 03-lmfao03-nutkick02-13-banana

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - airtroop - 03-14-2009 12:28 PM

(03-14-2009 05:30 AM)stebo Wrote:  Are you sure that you will be IAA (FCS) for two years? I believe that a team that moves to IAA must stay there for 5 years. I think that you are going to stay unclassfied in 09, and 10 ... than be Div I transitional for 11 and 12... and than (hopefully) you will meet all the requirements and be Div IA (FBS). Or are you limited to 65 ship players right now? I am pretty sure that you are being treated as a transitional already because you don't have any scholarship players yet. Please correct me on this if I am getting it wrong; its just that when you mentioned you would be FCS for two years - that doesn't jive because if you go that route - I believe that you must play at least 5 years at that level before even starting the transition (see UCA).

I'm glad you asked all those questions Stebo because it made me go back to the official USA Football site and now I have your answers for you.

This year and next year, South is considered full FCS (D-IAA), not "unclassified" as I had initially wrote. As for scholarships, I believe this year and next we are limited to the 65 (we have over thirty on full scholly right now, to answer your other question). The following two years (2011/12), we get the full 85 schollies and we are considered to be FBS (D-IA) "Transitional", then in '13, we're a bowl-eligible, full-fledged member of the SBC. Due to our status as a member of the SBC who does have football, we got to take the shortcutted route to D-IA 04-rock

Here is the university's timeline link: http://www.usajaguars.com/fls/8300/Football/Timeline.pdf

And this is the official USA Football home page in case you're interested: http://www.usajaguars.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8300&&SPID=12275&SPSID=99695

As for the Troy fan above -- Yeah, I can't WAIT for this rivalry to develop over the years!!! It'll be a healthy and fun one for LA (Lower Alabama) 04-bow

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - OldJaguar - 03-15-2009 08:44 AM

I look forward to Sept 5th 2009 when the team first takes the field. A great day for USA . I have no inde how good we will be or how we will so in the conference, but if money and effort are any indication there is reason for great expectations.

I thought you might like to see a few pictures of the progress

New football facility:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z92/OldJaguar/building-from-field-1.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z92/OldJaguar/building2.jpg

The football fieldhouse is a bit over 49,000 square feet under roof.
Houses a 10,000 sq. ft. weight room
A track for speed work
plus all the usual

Next to the fieldhouse is the practice facility:
New turf is now installed with logo in the middle
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z92/OldJaguar/new-turf2.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z92/OldJaguar/new-turflogo.jpg

In the background is the natural grass field.

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - hgolfman405 - 03-15-2009 11:57 AM

(03-14-2009 12:28 PM)airtroop Wrote:  
(03-14-2009 05:30 AM)stebo Wrote:  Are you sure that you will be IAA (FCS) for two years? I believe that a team that moves to IAA must stay there for 5 years. I think that you are going to stay unclassfied in 09, and 10 ... than be Div I transitional for 11 and 12... and than (hopefully) you will meet all the requirements and be Div IA (FBS). Or are you limited to 65 ship players right now? I am pretty sure that you are being treated as a transitional already because you don't have any scholarship players yet. Please correct me on this if I am getting it wrong; its just that when you mentioned you would be FCS for two years - that doesn't jive because if you go that route - I believe that you must play at least 5 years at that level before even starting the transition (see UCA).

I'm glad you asked all those questions Stebo because it made me go back to the official USA Football site and now I have your answers for you.

This year and next year, South is considered full FCS (D-IAA), not "unclassified" as I had initially wrote. As for scholarships, I believe this year and next we are limited to the 65 (we have over thirty on full scholly right now, to answer your other question). The following two years (2011/12), we get the full 85 schollies and we are considered to be FBS (D-IA) "Transitional", then in '13, we're a bowl-eligible, full-fledged member of the SBC. Due to our status as a member of the SBC who does have football, we got to take the shortcutted route to D-IA 04-rock

Here is the university's timeline link: http://www.usajaguars.com/fls/8300/Football/Timeline.pdf

And this is the official USA Football home page in case you're interested: http://www.usajaguars.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=8300&&SPID=12275&SPSID=99695

As for the Troy fan above -- Yeah, I can't WAIT for this rivalry to develop over the years!!! It'll be a healthy and fun one for LA (Lower Alabama) 04-bow

Stebo is actually correct. USA will be "Unclassified" in 2009 & 2010 because of the NCAA moratorium on FBS expansion. We will begin the two-year transition period in 2011 be eligible for full FBS membership in 2013. Will will count as a FCS opponent in 2011 and a FCS opponent in 2012. Schedule for those years is almost completed with all games except one each year against FBS competition including 8 games each of those years against Sun Belt Conference teams with 4 home and 4 road games each of the years. Contracts will bring Navy twice, plus one SEC school and one ACC school to Mobile.

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - airtroop - 03-15-2009 01:51 PM

(03-15-2009 11:57 AM)hgolfman405 Wrote:  Stebo is actually correct. USA will be "Unclassified" in 2009 & 2010 because of the NCAA moratorium on FBS expansion. We will begin the two-year transition period in 2011 be eligible for full FBS membership in 2013. Will will count as a FCS opponent in 2011 and a FCS opponent in 2012. Schedule for those years is almost completed with all games except one each year against FBS competition including 8 games each of those years against Sun Belt Conference teams with 4 home and 4 road games each of the years. Contracts will bring Navy twice, plus one SEC school and one ACC school to Mobile.

Thanks for clarifying this. I wonder why the official USA web site has us listed as FCS both this year and next then?

RE: South Alabama Football Begins Spring Practice - hgolfman405 - 03-15-2009 03:10 PM

(03-15-2009 01:51 PM)airtroop Wrote:  
(03-15-2009 11:57 AM)hgolfman405 Wrote:  Stebo is actually correct. USA will be "Unclassified" in 2009 & 2010 because of the NCAA moratorium on FBS expansion. We will begin the two-year transition period in 2011 be eligible for full FBS membership in 2013. Will will count as a FCS opponent in 2011 and a FCS opponent in 2012. Schedule for those years is almost completed with all games except one each year against FBS competition including 8 games each of those years against Sun Belt Conference teams with 4 home and 4 road games each of the years. Contracts will bring Navy twice, plus one SEC school and one ACC school to Mobile.

Thanks for clarifying this. I wonder why the official USA web site has us listed as FCS both this year and next then?

The document was released before the official info from NCAA was known.