CSNbbs
The Sun Belt - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: The Sun Belt (/thread-344087.html)

Pages: 1 2

The Sun Belt - Burn the Horse - 02-02-2009 11:35 AM

I'm curious as to what the die hard fans like all of you really think about our conference.

Personally, I believe the Sun Belt is a great place to be. No, we are not at the same level as C-USA, but then again they have been playing football for much longer. The Belt was originally set up to be a basketball conference, but I feel we've made great strides in other sports since we've began playing them. Being a conference based in the South, football is going to be very important to the fans. We've had some great keynote wins around the Belt that have helped us to improve our image. TROY defeating Missouri, Marshall (at the time it was big), and OK State are all important games. ULM knocking off Bama, ASU beating Texas A&M, and Middle taking down Maryland all help. We are one solid season away from establishing ourselves as "above the MAC." I think 2009 is the year we will do this. TROY is poised to be another Ball State (hopefully ending with a bowl WIN though). If Middle gets Tony Franklin, they could regain their proper seat in the top three. FAU could bring another bowl win to the conference as well if they play like i know they can. FIU is my 2009 darkhorse. I think they make some waves with a big win or maybe a bowl game.

I guess my point is, other than WW...we have little to complain about. We may not be a BCS conference, but I think the Sun Belt is a nice place to be. We're the career underdog, always being written off or taken lightly. I've always been a mid-major guy. I like the underdog story, always have. I guess that's why I like the Belt so much. With TROY improving like we are, our fan support has really began to pick up. We still have a problem with people leaving at half-time, but even that is beginning to fix itself.

What are your thoughts?

RE: The Sun Belt - CardinalBlackTrojan - 02-02-2009 04:54 PM

I like the Sun Belt. The conference has the potential to be better than CUSA, and it's arguably already better than the MAC. It's just a matter of some teams stepping up and getting the job done. I like the geography of the Sun Belt too better than CUSA.

RE: The Sun Belt - Burn the Horse - 02-02-2009 05:12 PM

yeah, C-USA is far too spread out. it will eventually be the end of them.

geographic distance > 03-nutkick < Conference USA

RE: The Sun Belt - posterchild - 02-02-2009 11:00 PM

I would like to see my team (FIU) stay in the Sun Belt for a while. Though I know with (greatly) improved attendance and sustained success on the field it would be possible to move to a bigger conference, just a matter of which and when.

However for now I like the Sun Belt. There are quality teams, such as Troy, Ark St, UL was good this year, FAU (though I hate to say it) has been good, and other teams are picking it up while some just drag behind. But I think WKU coming in is going to be a great thing for the conference. And USA could end upbeing good, they are in a talented football state and surrounded by others as well, such as Louisiana, Florida and such.

It is just good to see a team like mine finally putting the peices together, I beleive that we have one of the most underrated classes in the Sun Belt even though we are ranked in the top 3-4. There is a lot to be happy about around the SBC and especially in Miami.

RE: The Sun Belt - CardinalBlackTrojan - 02-02-2009 11:30 PM

(02-02-2009 11:00 PM)posterchild Wrote:  I would like to see my team (FIU) stay in the Sun Belt for a while. Though I know with (greatly) improved attendance and sustained success on the field it would be possible to move to a bigger conference, just a matter of which and when.

However for now I like the Sun Belt. There are quality teams, such as Troy, Ark St, UL was good this year, FAU (though I hate to say it) has been good, and other teams are picking it up while some just drag behind. But I think WKU coming in is going to be a great thing for the conference. And USA could end upbeing good, they are in a talented football state and surrounded by others as well, such as Louisiana, Florida and such.

It is just good to see a team like mine finally putting the peices together, I beleive that we have one of the most underrated classes in the Sun Belt even though we are ranked in the top 3-4. There is a lot to be happy about around the SBC and especially in Miami.

I noticed FIU's 3-star WR and LB are from Miami Northwestern. Those will probably turn out to be some really good player's for the Panthers.

RE: The Sun Belt - Joel - 02-02-2009 11:44 PM

(02-02-2009 11:30 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(02-02-2009 11:00 PM)posterchild Wrote:  I would like to see my team (FIU) stay in the Sun Belt for a while. Though I know with (greatly) improved attendance and sustained success on the field it would be possible to move to a bigger conference, just a matter of which and when.

I noticed FIU's 3-star WR and LB are from Miami Northwestern. Those will probably turn out to be some really good player's for the Panthers.

WR Wayne Times and OLB Kenneth Dillard are going to be instant contributors to our team.. I can't wait to see Wayne Times opposite of T.Y. Hilton next year! Our offense is going to be EXPLOSIVE! Plus, we are hoping 4-star LB Lavernz 'Pooh Bear' Mars will choose FIU on Signing Day, he would be our first 4-star recruit and major stepping block for our defense!

RE: The Sun Belt - CardinalBlackTrojan - 02-03-2009 12:03 AM

(02-02-2009 11:44 PM)Joel Wrote:  
(02-02-2009 11:30 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

WR Wayne Times and OLB Kenneth Dillard are going to be instant contributors to our team.. I can't wait to see Wayne Times opposite of T.Y. Hilton next year! Our offense is going to be EXPLOSIVE! Plus, we are hoping 4-star LB Lavernz 'Pooh Bear' Mars will choose FIU on Signing Day, he would be our first 4-star recruit and major stepping block for our defense!

What other offers does the 4-star LB have? That is going to be a scary combination with Times and Hilton. Already worries me! I think Troy can counter with Jarboe and Jernigan though! I just feel it in my gut that FIU is going to bust out next year.

RE: The Sun Belt - tennischamp - 02-03-2009 01:44 AM

FIU is my darkhorse for next year. they've brought in a ton-o-talent since Cristobal took over and turned everything around last seasonn

RE: The Sun Belt - playfailstogain - 02-03-2009 02:59 PM

(02-03-2009 01:44 AM)tennischamp Wrote:  FIU is my darkhorse for next year. they've brought in a ton-o-talent since Cristobal took over and turned everything around last seasonn

What is thier out of confernce sched. like next year? we need some belt teams to close the door and pick up some non-con wins...

RE: The Sun Belt - OwlFamily - 02-03-2009 03:13 PM

(02-03-2009 02:59 PM)playfailstogain Wrote:  
(02-03-2009 01:44 AM)tennischamp Wrote:  FIU is my darkhorse for next year. they've brought in a ton-o-talent since Cristobal took over and turned everything around last seasonn

What is thier out of confernce sched. like next year? we need some belt teams to close the door and pick up some non-con wins...

I know they dumped USF this year to pick up Rutgers. Probably have a shot at that.

Im hoping that FAU can Down South Carolina. Im assuming we can beat UAB but they are getting better as well. I'm taking Nebraska as a loss. We still have 1 OOC to fill, and I'd LOVE to fill it with another mid major or FCS team. Would be nice to be 2-2 or (Losses to SC and NEB) or even better 3-1 (Taking down SC)

I like the Sunbelt but its reputation is PURE crap right now. ULL getting snubbed from a bowl in thier own back yard I feel was truly due to being a "Belt" team.

Thankfully TROY and FAU's success on the national stage is starting elevate the confrence a bit. The Maryland and T A&M wins, plus beating Bama last year helped too.

Were all stuck in it for at least a few more years, and who knows, if we improve enough it might be a better mid major then some that exist for now.

We REALLY need more guranteed bowl games, not the half ass deals WW did this year that blew up in our faces.

RE: The Sun Belt - Joel - 02-03-2009 03:51 PM

FIU's OOC schedule includes away games against Florida, Alabama and now Rutgers (replacing USF) and a home game against Toledo.

I expect a win against Toledo and hopefully snag an upset at Rutgers to send a message to the Big East. Realistically, Alabama and UF should be losses, but hopefully we can make them competitive enough to open up some eyes.

This year I'm saying we go bowling. I'm very confident due to last year's progress and the recruiting class we are about to sign, which plugs up some holes we had on the defensive and offensive lines last year. We added explosiveness on offense, and are looking at possibly one of the best linebacker tandems in the state.

I'm defineltly looking forward to facing Troy and FAU next year at the Cage (especially after last year's Shula Bowl). It should be a fun season and September can't come soon enough!!

RE: The Sun Belt - Burn the Horse - 02-03-2009 04:38 PM

OF, i really hope you guys can beat UAB. we have them too this season and it'd be nice to really rub their noses in 2 losses to Sun Belt teams.

Sun Belt Conference > 03-nutkick < UAB

RE: The Sun Belt - MT FAN - 02-03-2009 05:10 PM

I like MT OOC schedule this coming season. Mississippi State and Memphis at home and Clemson and Maryland on the road. All very winnable games with no powerhouse teams. Plus, two good OOC teams at home!!! Should be a great chance to pick up some OOC wins for MT and the Belt.

RE: The Sun Belt - Burn the Horse - 02-03-2009 06:39 PM

yeah, I'm glad TROY isn't playing 4 major BCS programs for our OOC this season. We have Florida, Arkansas, UAB, and Bowling Green. UAB at home, the other three away, BGSU owes us a home game next season. we also get yall at home this year, which i'm really happy about. I always go to the Palladium game, so it's nice to get it in TROY. that drive up to the 'boro is long.

RE: The Sun Belt - CardinalBlackTrojan - 02-03-2009 06:57 PM

(02-03-2009 05:10 PM)MT FAN Wrote:  I like MT OOC schedule this coming season. Mississippi State and Memphis at home and Clemson and Maryland on the road. All very winnable games with no powerhouse teams. Plus, two good OOC teams at home!!! Should be a great chance to pick up some OOC wins for MT and the Belt.

That's a nice looking schedule. MT def has a chance to get some big OOC wins. Hopefully they will be improved from last year so they can get those wins.

RE: The Sun Belt - Burn the Horse - 02-03-2009 07:02 PM

2009 is going to be a big year for the Belt. i'm very excited, i see a lot of OOC wins coming all of our ways.

RE: The Sun Belt - CardinalBlackTrojan - 02-03-2009 07:11 PM

(02-03-2009 07:02 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  2009 is going to be a big year for the Belt. i'm very excited, i see a lot of OOC wins coming all of our ways.

I agree TDC. I'm also glad some of the teams around the Belt are playing more teams from the MAC and CUSA as well. It gives all the teams a chance to have a better record and better the conference RPI, instead playing a murderous schedule and starting out 0-3 or something like that.

RE: The Sun Belt - Hemi Man - 02-03-2009 08:29 PM

(02-03-2009 07:11 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  
(02-03-2009 07:02 PM)Trojan Delta Chi Wrote:  2009 is going to be a big year for the Belt. i'm very excited, i see a lot of OOC wins coming all of our ways.

I agree TDC. I'm also glad some of the teams around the Belt are playing more teams from the MAC and CUSA as well. It gives all the teams a chance to have a better record and better the conference RPI, instead playing a murderous schedule and starting out 0-3 or something like that.

I agree. As much as Ilike the road trips to Ohio St and LSU, I am pumped about the trip to Bowling Green. I can't wait until we have just one money game and some good 1 for1 games with BCS and other teams.

RE: The Sun Belt - tennischamp - 02-03-2009 10:07 PM

ima go ahead and say that the sun belt will have a winning record against the mac and c-usa next season. i think next season is a big year for the sbc

RE: The Sun Belt - Burn the Horse - 02-04-2009 10:46 AM

i've been saying this since 2007. '09 is the year for TROY, it's looking like it might be the year for the Sun Belt as well! All the pieces are falling in to place, it's time for the Belt to overtake the MAC. after that, on to C-USA!