CSNbbs
Is it time to fire Waugh? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ASunbbs (/forum-341.html)
+---- Forum: Atlantic Sun Team Talk (/forum-319.html)
+----- Forum: Stetson (/forum-330.html)
+----- Thread: Is it time to fire Waugh? (/thread-17383.html)

Is it time to fire Waugh? - CronbachAlpha - 01-28-2007 12:22 PM

I've never advocated the termination of Derek Waugh but how long is Stetson basketball going to go on like this?

7-14 overall (3-7 in conference play). AT this rate, we won't even make the Asun tourny.

Yes, I know KOS that Stetson is a baseball school. Yes I know we don't have the budget to hire someone else, but come on....blowing an 18 point lead to Mercer I think has pushed me over the edge on this issue.

- MercerFan - 01-28-2007 03:54 PM

I just replied to your main thread... but that game was brutal for Waugh. He looked like he was going to explode for the last 3 minutes of the game.

Waugh's contract extension - CronbachAlpha - 01-28-2007 04:18 PM

How long of an exstension did Altier give Waugh last year?

For the hell of it, I compared Waugh's winning percentage to past Stetson coaches and he is close to dead-last during Stetson's 100+ seasons of basketball.

He does rank 3rd in all-time coaching wins at Stetson ironically. That's due to Wilkes long reign.

- MercerFan - 01-28-2007 04:38 PM

It might be time like you're saying. I like Waugh's coaching style from when I saw him live in Macon. This year he lost some incredible talent as well, but last year was his chance to do something with his talent.

Stetson Baseball on the other hand.... what would Stetson do if baseball were to start losing? Your current coach is the man, but hypothetically -- if Stetson baseball put up losing seasons, you would see some kind of action take place I bet.

- CronbachAlpha - 01-28-2007 07:17 PM

"if Stetson baseball put up losing seasons, you would see some kind of action take place I bet."

I'm not so sure Mercerfan. I think Pete Dunn practically owns half of Stetson!

My next question which I was wondering about was when was the last time Stetson actually FIRED the head coach of any of their major athletic teams (and I'm not including Murray Arnold)?

- MercerFan - 01-29-2007 01:38 AM

Yeah I agree with you. I worded that kinda funny. Your coach is definitely the man and isn't going anywhere regardless, you are right. I just meant that maybe Stetson would be more protective of its baby (baseball), and not worry so much about basketball. But you're right, Dunn is locked up. Only his replacement would have to live up to the tradition.