CSNbbs
What the He!! is Going On at Virginia Tech? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: Mid-American Conference Talk (/forum-472.html)
+----- Forum: MAC Spin Room (/forum-487.html)
+----- Thread: What the He!! is Going On at Virginia Tech? (/thread-156310.html)

Pages: 1 2

What the He!! is Going On at Virginia Tech? - MileHighBronco - 04-16-2007 11:29 AM

Early reports said 1 dead, 7 injured. The new report is that 20 people were killed on both ends of campus.

I would imagine that students there are quite afraid. We'll have to wait until we hear if this new report is accurate. Scary stuff.

- MileHighBronco - 04-16-2007 11:38 AM

You know that things were horrific when the VT Police Chief says in a press conference "ballpark figures of fatalities" are 20 dead and at least 21 injured.

They say the shooter was killed. Tragic Day in Blacksburg. My prayers go out to all those affected - victims, families, students and staff at VT.

Now said to be 22 dead. What a tragedy.

- rocketfootball - 04-16-2007 11:39 AM

Just said on CNN that 20 people are dead, including a gunman which they don't know if that is the only gunman. The campus is closed off and sealed and classes for tomorrow are already cancelled.

- Eagle66 - 04-16-2007 11:54 AM

I can't imagine when i was in school to stay indoors and away from the windows until the cops come to my building and rlease me... They're showing pictures that students took on their cell phones on Fox news right now.

- DrTorch - 04-16-2007 12:21 PM

rocketfootball Wrote:Just said on CNN that 20 people are dead, including a gunman which they don't know if that is the only gunman. The campus is closed off and sealed and classes for tomorrow are already cancelled.

I gotta think that alot of people aren't going to stay there this term.

It's just insane.

VPI of all places just makes so little sense to me.

- HuskieDave - 04-16-2007 12:52 PM

Fox News reports 32 confirmed dead and 28 wounded. My God, he shot 60 people!!!

- Rocket_Fanatic - 04-16-2007 04:26 PM

Utterly senseless and downright horrific.

- tcufrog86 - 04-16-2007 05:08 PM

Sad news for the University community today. My cousin goes to Virginia Tech, and we are so lucky that he was not hurt. But it makes me realize how easily the event could have directly affected my family.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the families and friends of those involved.

- RobertN - 04-16-2007 05:21 PM

I couldn't believe it when I heard about it during lunch. Very sad. I am just now catching up on what happened. Makes you wonder how someone can do this. 03-no

- MileHighBronco - 04-16-2007 05:55 PM

If you would like to send your condolences to the Hokie family, go to http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=191&F=2577 and join the many thousands from all over the country.

My heart is broken today. This brings back the memories of Columbine which still haven't faded here in Colorado.

Stand strong, Hokies!

- Premier Club - 04-16-2007 09:21 PM

If there were 2 hours between the first two shootings and the others, which I've heard, someone will have to explain why it was business as usual during that period of time. Seems like you'd want to go to shutdown, lockdown mode after the first shooting incident.

- rocketman49 - 04-17-2007 02:11 PM

[Image: toledo_vt-memorial.jpg]

- Endzone2 - 04-17-2007 02:59 PM

Was that not the weirdest ceremony on the Va Tech campus today? A Muslim guy gets up and quotes verses from the Koran and gives thanks to Allah. Then a Buddist lady gets up and talks about famous quotes from Buddist I've never heard of in my life. Then a Jewish lady gets up and quotes almost an entire chapter from the book of Ecclesiastes and is interpreted by another Jewish lady in a language unknown to me. Then I guess a "Christian" clergy guy gets up and says a few words never mentioning the Bible or Jesus, and only offers a moment of silence at the end. Then a short time later sombody leads the entire group in chants of "Let's go Hokies" repeated several times. Then somebody leads in the Lord's prayer, but it is the only time during the ceremony that the microphones are turned down so low that the news networks can't pick it up. It was as though this was the one part of the service that was an embarassment to all there--the Lord's prayer.

I'll tell you if this is the typical current state of affairs on your typical college campus, no wonder nearly 100% of people on college sports boards disagree with my point of view. I mean this muliticulturalism, mutlireligion, multirace, mutlivalues "equality" type of thinking that has apparently taken over college campuses has left us without any moral foundation or absolutes whatsoever. It used to be Christianity and a specific culture, but now it is defined by chaos. That ceremony was weird. Does anybody else think so, or am I the only guy (as usual) who thinks it was.

- MacLord - 04-17-2007 03:46 PM

It is the typical state of affairs not just on college campuses but in the world at large that there are religions other than Christianity and people who speak languages you may have never heard of. This has nothing to do with moral chaos. My gentle wish is that you find another venue/event/message board on which to place this particular soapbox.

- MileHighBronco - 04-17-2007 03:49 PM

I'm not going to make political commentary as I feel at this time it is disrespectful to those who lost their lives. There is plenty of time to pontificate on issues later.

As one who can attest that here in Colorado eight years after Columbine (this Friday) there is still a gaping wound and "healing" will take many years, if ever. To watch the coverage yesterday brought feelings of incredible sadness and pain.

Two touching tributes found today on YouTube, among the hundreds that have been posted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWD9tb9c6Ao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0kzy9UBXFY

Stay strong Hokies. God Bless the VT community during your time of loss and pain.

- Karl - 04-17-2007 03:50 PM

Endzone2 Wrote:Blah Blah Blah....us poor overzealous Christians...blah blah blah

I am of the opinion that your intolerance and bigotry has earned you an exit. I'm anxious to see if that will happen. I WILL tell you that I've recommended it.

- thegeneral - 04-17-2007 04:23 PM

PLEASE DO NOT ban this clown. He has every right to say whatever he wants, as long as he conforms to the AUP.

- GFlash68 - 04-17-2007 04:24 PM

Karl Wrote:
Endzone2 Wrote:Blah Blah Blah....us poor overzealous Christians...blah blah blah

I am of the opinion that your intolerance and bigotry has earned you an exit. I'm anxious to see if that will happen. I WILL tell you that I've recommended it.

I do think that the intolerance is being shown by the one who gets upset at one expressing the original opinion. This is also a symptom of the time in which we live. The censorship police is quite hasty to try to suppress the Christian point of view, but I doubt that the others mentioned would be treated so harshly. I say this from one who is not particularly religious, but one who has noticed that over time, the definition of intolerance has completely reversed its self. The same can be said of many other principles of our time. Bigotry is not what it used to be.

- Karl - 04-17-2007 05:06 PM

You folks post like I just pull this stuff out of my backside, but I don't. I avoided this topic like the plague for DAYS after it was first posted, until someone sent me a PM complaining. Today, I got another. I find the posts in question intolerant, offensive, and ignorant. I don't have the option of putting the guy on IGNORE, like the rest of you do. In fact, as much as I don't WANT to read this whole thread, I have to. I sent the person in question a suggestion to read the AUP, and I'll quote it here:

Quote:- In general, if you are causing people to leave the community because of your actions, you will be banned... even if you're so good at walking the line you have technically broken no rules. NCAAbbs will not let you ruin everybody else's experience and get away with it just b/c you're good at walking the line.

Now if this doesn't fit your definition of a violation, fine. And I may be totally wrong. If I am, I'll live with it. But as I said, a decision to ban is not mine to make.

- Airport KC - 04-17-2007 05:30 PM

Endzone2 Wrote:I'll tell you if this is the typical current state of affairs on your typical college campus, no wonder nearly 100% of people on college sports boards disagree with my point of view. I mean this muliticulturalism, mutlireligion, multirace, mutlivalues "equality" type of thinking that has apparently taken over college campuses has left us without any moral foundation or absolutes whatsoever. It used to be Christianity and a specific culture, but now it is defined by chaos. That ceremony was weird. Does anybody else think so, or am I the only guy (as usual) who thinks it was.

I agree. They should have done a respectful secular service.

Christianity has to stay relevant and contemporary for it to survive in the western world.

In third world countries the story of Jesus and his suffering is relevant to every day living. People in those countries can relate to the stories of the Bible and thus you find Christianity growing there.

You have to make the distinction between what is good for Christian values and what is for the good of christianity.......multiculturalism, i.e, respect for other cultures and viewpoints is a Christian value.

What is best for the promotion of Christianity is a different question. Ecumenism is one approach to unify the denominations for the greater good of christianity. However, Christianity is split over political lines into conservative and liberal camps and most ecumenical efforts are to reconcile differences between denominations.

I go to a liberal Christian church. After service Muslims show up in the reception area to promote their cultural food and drink........like we at church are somehow out of it and need an education on Turkish ways.......this is supposed to be enlightening on some level?

Do you think Christians would go into a mosque every week to share the secrets of square dancing with samples of American meatloaf?

Why is it that only Christians are narrow minded and in need of enlightenment?