Virginia law approving schools to pay athletes under NIL
04-18-2024 12:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
RE: Virginia law approving schools to pay athletes under NIL
Seems like a win for Liberty. Don't have to rely on fans/boosters/businesses to fund collectives.
04-18-2024 01:56 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Our AD is the only one in the state who has commented thus far on the law. He just stated that Liberty will continue to follow NCAA guidelines. Then again, those seemed to be changing rather rapidly these days.
04-18-2024 03:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
So your AD is going to break the law to follow NCAA policy? I doubt it.

That said I just wrote about this on our board. Which is this… I still have yet to hear how we’re going to get to point of paying players and operating as business if teams retain their association to the university as tax exempt non profit. Either you have a separate business where the players are paid as employees or you have federally funded non-profit academic institutions. I don’t think you can have this both ways. Otherwise public universities will lose their status.

I think this is no problem for private schools. But if you’re a publicly funded institution with tax dollars all I see in the future are a bunch of rut ro’s. As Scooby would say.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 03:42 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
04-18-2024 03:40 PM
Baldspot Offline
Bench Warmer

(04-18-2024 03:40 PM)ThreeifbyLightning Wrote:  So your AD is going to break the law to follow NCAA policy? I doubt it.

That said I just wrote about this on our board. Which is this… I still have yet to hear how we’re going to get to point of paying players and operating as business if teams retain their association to the university as tax exempt non profit. Either you have a separate business where the players are paid as employees or you have federally funded non-profit academic institutions. I don’t think you can have this both ways. Otherwise public universities will lose their status.

I think this is no problem for private schools. But if you’re a publicly funded institution with tax dollars all I see in the future are a bunch of rut ro’s. As Scooby would say.

Choosing not to pay a student athlete in Virginia is somehow now breaking the law? How so? The law permits payments but specifically indicates student athletes are not employees. They can, however, be paid for marketing campaigns etc.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 06:34 PM by Baldspot.)
04-18-2024 05:49 PM
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
To be fair I would actually have to read the law on whether it requires the athlete to be paid for services vs just allowing as the article postulates. But assuming the former it actually sets up the schools for potential liability from the athletes if they decide not to pay (to follow NCAA rules) or if they don’t pay them for ALL such endeavors. It’s all a slippery slope.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2024 08:17 PM by ThreeifbyLightning.)
04-18-2024 08:15 PM
galojah Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU & NC State

Donators
ThreeifbyLightning, I wonder the same thing. Regardless of whether it is private or public, I question whether an institution can keep its 501©3 status. Being tax-exempt is a luxury all universities have. There is nothing "non-profit" about the behavior of athletic offices. I've been advocating for making athletic offices pay taxes.
04-18-2024 08:46 PM
Advertisement

freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(04-18-2024 08:46 PM)galojah Wrote:  ThreeifbyLightning, I wonder the same thing. Regardless of whether it is private or public, I question whether an institution can keep its 501©3 status. Being tax-exempt is a luxury all universities have. There is nothing "non-profit" about the behavior of athletic offices. I've been advocating for making athletic offices pay taxes.

Tax-exempt is one thing. Potentially losing the ability for your students to access federal financial aid would be a death sentence for almost any university.
04-19-2024 09:39 AM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

That is quite the leap of interpretation. I personally believe the bigger issue would be that the athletes would then become employees of the school opening up a laundry list of challenges including the possibility of collective bargaining.

I sincerely doubt any of the D1 schools in the Commonwealth will pursue direct payment until permitted by the NCAA. Of course laws like this might force the hand of the suits in Indy.
04-19-2024 01:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Baldspot Offline
Bench Warmer

The law was written with considerable input from UVA and to some extent VA Tech to allow universities to pay student athletes for their NIL participation in marketing campaigns. It was specifically written to not make student athletes employees.

It does create a huge problem, IMHO, when athletic departments start paying the starting MBB point guard say $20k to put their picture on a billboard to sell season tickets but only offer the starting point guard on the WBB team a couple coupons to the university’s bookstore for the same marketing campaign.

Supply and demand obviously dictate how much money to spend on each sport but the ladies are not going to be happy.
(This post was last modified: 04-21-2024 07:02 AM by Baldspot.)
04-21-2024 07:01 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.