Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

700WLW is going downhill
Bookmark and Share
513Alex Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Bearcats/Boliers/Bengals
700WLW is going downhill
Besides 20 minutes of commercials, anyone notice how there are a couple of mandatory female quasi hosts like Donna D and Ally? something. They think going Susie Secular pop cultural celeb crap will bring in a female audience, it won't. They all have this fake sultry voice that then does that omg I have to highlight or almost sing their last word of every sentence. Very annoying.

04-06-2024 07:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
RE: 700WLW is going downhill
i like the guy who does the traffic report. i'm in the minority, but i like ken broo. i sometimes catch his sunday morning show

04-06-2024 09:02 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
I'm surprised AM radio hasn't gone the way of the dodo bird yet.

04-07-2024 09:54 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(04-07-2024 09:54 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I'm surprised AM radio hasn't gone the way of the dodo bird yet.

I don't know how anyone listens now with the way they do commercials when you have better options where you get more content.

04-07-2024 09:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
I'm sure the government will keep it alive as an emergency broadcast system. I suppose advertiser like being able to connect to the demographic that still tunes in. Talk radio and Cristian stations will be around as long as e Baby Boomers are.

Come to think of it, I am not sure how FM radio makes it, either. It's the 8 track player of broadcasting.

04-07-2024 10:59 AM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
700 stays alive via their live sports content. That’s why they kiss the Reds a$$. Everything else has to have the same ratings as cable access.

04-07-2024 11:12 AM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

I Root For: Jimmy Nippert
(04-07-2024 11:12 AM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  700 stays alive via their live sports content. That’s why they kiss the Reds a$$. Everything else has to have the same ratings as cable access.

Reds and Bengals. During the Fb season the Bengals have dedicated programming for three hours in the evening during the week plus a pregame and postgame.

04-07-2024 05:33 PM
ZCat Offline
1st String

I Root For: UC
(04-06-2024 09:02 PM)Lush Wrote:  i like the guy who does the traffic report. i'm in the minority, but i like ken broo. i sometimes catch his sunday morning show

I like Ken Broo and his info on musicians.
Many of the hosts just beat the same political drum over and over. Even if you agree- it gets boring. Regardless of which side you are on- both sides tell one side of the story and it is slanted and embarrassing.

1530 is great:
12-3 Tony Pike
3-6 Mo Egger (UC fan) and Chad guest hosts

04-07-2024 09:29 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
(04-07-2024 09:57 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  
(04-07-2024 09:54 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  I'm surprised AM radio hasn't gone the way of the dodo bird yet.

I don't know how anyone listens now with the way they do commercials when you have better options where you get more content.

Your buddy 03-wink seems to think it's a goldmine:

Quote:"George Soros thinks it’s good business, and perhaps good politics, to be in your ears.

Over the last two years, Soros Fund Management, the firm founded by the billionaire investor and now controlled by the Open Society Foundations, has become an increasingly key player in the oldest electronic mass media: radio.

In February, the company became the largest shareholder in Audacy, the bankrupt second-largest radio company in the U.S., with more than 230 U.S. stations and a podcast arm that includes Cadence13 and Pineapple Street Studios. In 2022, Soros invested an undisclosed amount in Crooked Media, the liberal podcast network behind the ultra-popular Pod Save America. And a Soros-backed firm played a crucial role in Univision’s $60 million sale in 2022 of 18 Hispanic radio stations to a new firm run by veterans of Democratic politics. The deal, which included conservative Cuban powerhouse broadcasters in Miami, drew opposition from Republican members of Congress.

The move into the troubled radio business could be the beginning of a bigger audio buying spree, three people who have been involved in discussions with Soros executives said.

The fund has also privately discussed acquiring other major radio companies, such as the limping, publicly traded Cumulus Media. (Regulations limiting ownership of radio stations put limits on such mergers.)"

04-08-2024 03:04 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

(04-07-2024 09:57 AM)bearcatmark Wrote:  I don't know how anyone listens now with the way they do commercials when you have better options where you get more content.

(04-07-2024 09:29 PM)ZCat Wrote:  I like Ken Broo and his info on musicians.
Many of the hosts just beat the same political drum over and over. Even if you agree- it gets boring. Regardless of which side you are on- both sides tell one side of the story and it is slanted and embarrassing.

1530 is great:
12-3 Tony Pike
When I'm listening to sports talk it's pretty much exclusively podcasts now. As a mid 40s lifelong local 700 has been awful my entire life. Agree that 1530 has good hosts but in the podcast age I am much more interested in listening to BCJ pods or Jim Day podcasts to get specific on the teams I care about vs listening to radio and having to get through the endless commercials and talk about things I don't care about.

04-08-2024 07:46 AM
BearcatsUC Offline
Heisman

WLW has been trash forever.

I rarely listen to broadcast radio. I’ll listen to Pandora or You Tube. One car has satellite radio.

04-08-2024 10:18 PM
Advertisement

CliftonAve Online
Heisman

No disrespect to anyone who falls in this category (and I am getting close) and I know it’s a chicken v egg thing, but WLW sports programming caters to an audience of 60+ year old white guys. It seriously needs a reimaging. younger host(s) (I think two man team works best), more humor, fewer callers, more discussion beyond the Reds and Bengals-more college sports, FC Cincinnati, NBA, etc.

The formatting is stale AF and has no hope at growth.

04-09-2024 08:49 AM
bcat1997 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
I was back in the Natti this past weekend and had it on my rental car the entire time. I'm right leaning, but even I was amazed how in your face right they were and on multiple time slots.

04-09-2024 11:57 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
(04-09-2024 08:49 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  No disrespect to anyone who falls in this category (and I am getting close) and I know it’s a chicken v egg thing, but WLW sports programming caters to an audience of 60+ year old white guys. It seriously needs a reimaging. younger host(s) (I think two man team works best), more humor, fewer callers, more discussion beyond the Reds and Bengals-more college sports, FC Cincinnati, NBA, etc.

The 60 year old white guys are largely who listen to am radio.

I am not sure I've ever used the AM radio function in either of my current cars. I could purchase my next car with no radio installed and only.bluetooth and I'd never notice.

AM radio is hanging around until the baby boomers die off.

04-10-2024 08:00 PM
CliftonAve Online
Heisman

(04-10-2024 08:00 PM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  
(04-09-2024 08:49 AM)CliftonAve Wrote:  No disrespect to anyone who falls in this category (and I am getting close) and I know it’s a chicken v egg thing, but WLW sports programming caters to an audience of 60+ year old white guys. It seriously needs a reimaging. younger host(s) (I think two man team works best), more humor, fewer callers, more discussion beyond the Reds and Bengals-more college sports, FC Cincinnati, NBA, etc.

The 60 year old white guys are largely who listen to am radio.

I am not sure I've ever used the AM radio function in either of my current cars. I could purchase my next car with no radio installed and only.bluetooth and I'd never notice.

AM radio is hanging around until the baby boomers die off.

I hear what you are saying, but in other markets their sports radio is so popular it is simulcast on FM stations (Cleveland had 92.3 The Fan and Columbus has 97.1 The Fan).

04-10-2024 10:14 PM
513Alex Offline
2nd String

(04-07-2024 09:29 PM)ZCat Wrote:  
(04-06-2024 09:02 PM)Lush Wrote:  i like the guy who does the traffic report. i'm in the minority, but i like ken broo. i sometimes catch his sunday morning show

I like Ken Broo and his info on musicians.

1530 is great:
12-3 Tony Pike
Thanks for that.

04-10-2024 10:33 PM
Advertisement

513Alex Offline
2nd String

I started to listen to 700 in 1989. I am 59. Bringing on Donna D or Ally, or whoever Rocky and Eddy have to bring on isn't going to garner a new audience. As someone else said Broo has done a great job. Willie is globalist stooge, McConell came back from Chicago a different guy. Scott Sloan is a cackling fool (he got McConell's slot after he left for Chicago). I think you need harder hitting stuff not fluff.

04-10-2024 10:49 PM
Lush Offline
go to hell and get a job

I Root For: the user
(04-10-2024 10:49 PM)513Alex Wrote:  I started to listen to 700 in 1989. I am 59. Bringing on Donna D or Ally, or whoever Rocky and Eddy have to bring on isn't going to garner a new audience. As someone else said Broo has done a great job. Willie is globalist stooge, McConell came back from Chicago a different guy. Scott Sloan is a cackling fool (he got McConell's slot after he left for Chicago). I think you need harder hitting stuff not fluff.

you said that very well. i used to dig sloan. sloan sucks now. i sorta like the bartender. forget his name. brian thomas on 550 is sweet though. i miss wednesdays when he had thomas massie and judge napalatino or whatever back to back. cincy 360 was f*cking retarded today. all they wanted to talk about was professional wrestling. truly astonishing. i'd much rather listen to them talk for an hour about olymipan or collegiate wrestling

04-11-2024 10:52 PM
nachoman91 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Based on the ratings 700WLW is far and away the most listened to radio station in the greater Cincinnati area. Either the bulk of you on here with your negative comments about the station are wrong or there's a heck a lot of 60 year old white guys living in the city.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb031

04-12-2024 02:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
(04-12-2024 02:27 PM)nachoman91 Wrote:  Based on the ratings 700WLW is far and away the most listened to radio station in the greater Cincinnati area. Either the bulk of you on here with your negative comments about the station are wrong or there's a heck a lot of 60 year old white guys living in the city.

https://ratings.radio-online.com/content/arb031

I don't think anyone was saying 700 WLW isn't the most listened to AM station in Cincinnati. The conversation was on radio and the issues with the format in general (and some not liking specific shows on WLW). I would be everyone would have guessed WLW is the most listened to station, especially with Bengals games, Bearcats games, Reds games, etc.

04-12-2024 03:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.