Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MAC Basketball
Bookmark and Share
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
MAC Basketball
Want to have a thread that talks MAC basketball to pool topics as our teams our out and starting the long off season. I'm going to post two things that I have been thinking about, but this can be a place to post something about your team, players, coach, or the MAC in general.

In the end of the day, what will probably drive the WKU basketball fans towards the MAC is how CUSA and MAC handle basketball. I'm talking fans, not decision makers, as this is a fan site.

CUSA has lost most of it's basketball brand names. NMSU has hit the dumpster with the gun incident and don't know if it will recover. The last time that I remember UTEP being good was when Tony Barbee was their coach. Tony is now HC at CMU. MTSU was very good with a past coach and will say they are up and down. New members Kennesaw St is not a good basketball program and Delaware is what it is, just there. Liberty has a boat load of money and great facilities. LA Tech to their credit is a basketball brand in CUSA. Not an expert on CUSA and will differ to any CUSA posters that venture over here, but Western Kentucky is a basketball brand. CUSA, one the other hand seems to pride itself on baseball and not basketball. The MAC has 4 good basketball brands with Ohio, Toledo, Kent State and Akron. There are others that pop up as well. Think it would be great if WKU joins and add 2 more basketball brand names.

Secondly, been thinking the MAC bottom is what is driving the MAC down in conference ratings. The top is not that much different than CUSA which is more than a half dozen conferences ahead of the MAC. Teams dancing and probably have this wrong, keeps 33 and a 3rd percent of the NCAA credits. The rest is distributed evenly. With a number of teams that seem not to care one bit with their basketball program, think they should have a performance penalty. Whether it's the last quartile or with a NET handle starting with a 3 as in hundreds. Would reduce their share by 50% and distribute the rest to the other members, giving them a kick in the a$$ to try harder.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2024 02:00 PM by Steve1981.)
03-24-2024 01:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
RE: MAC Basketball
(03-24-2024 01:40 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  ... The rest is distributed evenly. With a number of teams that seem not to care one bit with their basketball program, think they should have a performance penalty. Whether it's the last quartile or with a NET handle starting with a 3 as in hundreds. Would reduce their share by 50% and distribute the rest to the other members, giving them a kick in the a$$ to try harder.

Penalties for NET ranking is not likely to fly, but the flipside of that is broader rewards for non-NCAA achievements. So, if 50% of the win unit goes to the school who won, then some share of the invite unit could be allocated to rewards for non-Tournament activity. There can be a regular season championship reward -- say, the top four getting a 40%, 30%, 20%, 10% share of a regular season pool. Tying it to the finish in the year of the NCAA invite unit in question would make for a more reliable stream of basketball revenue for the stronger basketball schools.

Given that access to the NIT has been hobbled, the basketball development pool could include pots of money which are available to help with hosting fees or travel costs for post-season pay to play tournaments, with access to the pots of money by priority of regular season finish -- and that could well have a NET ranking cutoff.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2024 03:12 PM by BruceMcF.)
03-24-2024 03:08 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(03-24-2024 03:08 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(03-24-2024 01:40 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  ... The rest is distributed evenly. With a number of teams that seem not to care one bit with their basketball program, think they should have a performance penalty. Whether it's the last quartile or with a NET handle starting with a 3 as in hundreds. Would reduce their share by 50% and distribute the rest to the other members, giving them a kick in the a$$ to try harder.

Penalties for NET ranking is not likely to fly, but the flipside of that is broader rewards for non-NCAA achievements. So, if 50% of the win unit goes to the school who won, then some share of the invite unit could be allocated to rewards for non-Tournament activity. There can be a regular season championship reward -- say, the top four getting a 40%, 30%, 20%, 10% share of a regular season pool. Tying it to the finish in the year of the NCAA invite unit in question would make for a more reliable stream of basketball revenue for the stronger basketball schools.

Given that access to the NIT has been hobbled, the basketball development pool could include pots of money which are available to help with hosting fees or travel costs for post-season pay to play tournaments, with access to the pots of money by priority of regular season finish -- and that could well have a NET ranking cutoff.

Like the regular season rewards for the top 4 teams.
03-24-2024 04:17 PM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(03-24-2024 01:40 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Want to have a thread that talks MAC basketball to pool topics as our teams our out and starting the long off season. I'm going to post two things that I have been thinking about, but this can be a place to post something about your team, players, coach, or the MAC in general.

In the end of the day, what will probably drive the WKU basketball fans towards the MAC is how CUSA and MAC handle basketball. I'm talking fans, not decision makers, as this is a fan site.

CUSA has lost most of it's basketball brand names. NMSU has hit the dumpster with the gun incident and don't know if it will recover. The last time that I remember UTEP being good was when Tony Barbee was their coach. Tony is now HC at CMU. MTSU was very good with a past coach and will say they are up and down. New members Kennesaw St is not a good basketball program and Delaware is what it is, just there. Liberty has a boat load of money and great facilities. LA Tech to their credit is a basketball brand in CUSA. Not an expert on CUSA and will differ to any CUSA posters that venture over here, but Western Kentucky is a basketball brand. CUSA, one the other hand seems to pride itself on baseball and not basketball. The MAC has 4 good basketball brands with Ohio, Toledo, Kent State and Akron. There are others that pop up as well. Think it would be great if WKU joins and add 2 more basketball brand names.

Secondly, been thinking the MAC bottom is what is driving the MAC down in conference ratings. The top is not that much different than CUSA which is more than a half dozen conferences ahead of the MAC. Teams dancing and probably have this wrong, keeps 33 and a 3rd percent of the NCAA credits. The rest is distributed evenly. With a number of teams that seem not to care one bit with their basketball program, think they should have a performance penalty. Whether it's the last quartile or with a NET handle starting with a 3 as in hundreds. Would reduce their share by 50% and distribute the rest to the other members, giving them a kick in the a$$ to try harder.

UMASS and possibly WKU down the road will definitely drive up the perception of the MAC in basketball !!
As you stated, there are a few in conference that have to pick up the pace, and a couple of these schools have had very good success in the past (Buffalo/Miami/Eastern Michigan/Ball State)…
03-24-2024 04:29 PM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
(03-24-2024 04:29 PM)FMRocket Wrote:  
(03-24-2024 01:40 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  Want to have a thread that talks MAC basketball to pool topics as our teams our out and starting the long off season. I'm going to post two things that I have been thinking about, but this can be a place to post something about your team, players, coach, or the MAC in general.

UMASS and possibly WKU down the road will definitely drive up the perception of the MAC in basketball !!
As you stated, there are a few in conference that have to pick up the pace, and a couple of these schools have had very good success in the past (Buffalo/Miami/Eastern Michigan/Ball State)…

I think Buffalo will be fine. The hire they made to replace Oates just didn't pan out. That could happen to any school, but they still seem committed to wanting to win. I can't really say that for several other MAC programs.
03-24-2024 11:16 PM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

I Root For: cmu chippewas
(03-24-2024 11:16 PM)kreed5120 Wrote:  

I think Buffalo will be fine. The hire they made to replace Oates just didn't pan out. That could happen to any school, but they still seem committed to wanting to win. I can't really say that for several other MAC programs.

How is the MAC supposed to get better when our star players keep leaving? CMU has lost 7 players or more 2 yrs in a row now. It's sickening. Finish 4th regular season and now have to start all over again. Portal has killed NCAAF and basketball
03-25-2024 07:10 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(03-25-2024 07:10 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  How is the MAC supposed to get better when our star players keep leaving? CMU has lost 7 players or more 2 yrs in a row now. It's sickening. Finish 4th regular season and now have to start all over again. Portal has killed NCAAF and basketball

It's a rough time out there for sure. NIU lost 52% of its scoring to the transfer portal since the portal opened last week. We weren't even that good after the first 7 games of the season.

Look at our true freshman all-MAC player Lovings-Watts. These are the schools showing interest. He's leaving for that??? What an unimpressive list.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024 08:22 AM by epasnoopy.)
03-25-2024 08:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
freshtop Offline
All American

I Root For: WKU
(03-25-2024 07:10 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  

How is the MAC supposed to get better when our star players keep leaving? CMU has lost 7 players or more 2 yrs in a row now. It's sickening. Finish 4th regular season and now have to start all over again. Portal has killed NCAAF and basketball

The portal and NIL are certainly damaging the little guys. But if you don't have a solid NIL collective then the chances of keeping players and coaches are slim.
03-25-2024 08:25 AM
kreed5120 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Akron
(03-25-2024 08:25 AM)freshtop Wrote:  

The portal and NIL are certainly damaging the little guys. But if you don't have a solid NIL collective then the chances of keeping players and coaches are slim.

When an Alabama or Arizona State come calling for your coach, there really isn't much any mid-major can do. It's more disheartening when you see talented players or coaches leaving for what appears to be lateral moves.
03-25-2024 08:42 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

(03-25-2024 08:42 AM)kreed5120 Wrote:  
(03-24-2024 04:29 PM)FMRocket Wrote:  UMASS and possibly WKU down the road will definitely drive up the perception of the MAC in basketball !!

When an Alabama or Arizona State come calling for your coach, there really isn't much any mid-major can do. It's more disheartening when you see talented players or coaches leaving for what appears to be lateral moves.

That has always been the case though. WKU has lost coaches to Georgia and South Carolina long before NIL and the xfer portal. Coaches are always going to follow the money. Athletes can do the same now, but in most cases the money involved is much less. Some may leave a MAC or CUSA program for a small bump in pay from a Power conference team. Some might rather stay if the money is similar and they know they will get minutes and a major role.
03-25-2024 10:55 AM
freshtop Offline
All American

(03-25-2024 08:13 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  
(03-25-2024 07:10 AM)cmufanatic Wrote:  How is the MAC supposed to get better when our star players keep leaving? CMU has lost 7 players or more 2 yrs in a row now. It's sickening. Finish 4th regular season and now have to start all over again. Portal has killed NCAAF and basketball

It's a rough time out there for sure. NIU lost 52% of its scoring to the transfer portal since the portal opened last week. We weren't even that good after the first 7 games of the season.

Look at our true freshman all-MAC player Lovings-Watts. These are the schools showing interest. He's leaving for that??? What an unimpressive list.

A lot of the "good" teams were still playing ball when the portal opened. I am sure his list will grow.
03-25-2024 10:56 AM
Advertisement

cmufanatic Offline
1st String

(03-25-2024 08:13 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  

It just flat out sucks
03-25-2024 11:24 AM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

Agree and CMU really has no NIL in place. Small rural city with enrollment woes. Mass exodus out of Michigan has really hurt us in a major way.
03-25-2024 11:28 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

Regarding NIL's, do not have any inside information. The hoop, Massachusetts Collectives have monthly zoom meetings. Belong to the football, Midnight Ride Collective. They do not have monthly zoom meetings but did share in Boston the size of this years budget and Ryan Bamford in an interview said last year 10 players with substantial NIL deals and expect it to grow to perhaps 1/3 of the roster this year.

That all said, feel you need that pool of regular donors so the few whale donors feel good as well. Think NILs start with a few dedicated organizers willing to do it right for the long haul. Ours each have their own strategies, but you need to start with the leaders and a whale donor and then whatever the number of the members.

Really hope teams as Kent State, Akron, Ohio, and Toledo can have healthy NILs. Hope for more but focus their first. CMU has Tony Barbee, hope he has support and an NIL starts there as other places.

If you can't beat them, you have to join them. It's the landscape. Our NILs start with a $10 monthly contribution and have different levels. The Basketball NIL uses zoom and twitter. Here is the football NIL for ideas.
https://midnightridenil.com/
03-25-2024 12:18 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Toledo has 2 collectives as well but not a fb or bb specific one. I've heard money is nice at UT for MAC standards, but that's not broadly going to backups or anything. If you show out the DQs and Ray J Dennis' will find 6 figures elsewhere.
03-25-2024 12:22 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2024 12:22 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Toledo has 2 collectives as well but not a fb or bb specific one. I've heard money is nice at UT for MAC standards, but that's not broadly going to backups or anything. If you show out the DQs and Ray J Dennis' will find 6 figures elsewhere.

Nice and knew Toledo had collectives. We do have a 3rd collective as well that is not specific, but hear almost zero about.
03-25-2024 12:26 PM
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Dear MAC Members,
This again, is a thread not is not needed. Sports are always going to evolve. Those that are on top today, will not necessarily be there tomorrow. Why do some here, constantly bring this up. Is it to boost your school, and or, complain about others? If, either are true, then call a spade a spade, and stop with hiding under some pretense of bull. Some here need a life.
03-25-2024 12:58 PM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

(03-25-2024 12:58 PM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear MAC Members,
This again, is a thread not is not needed. Sports are always going to evolve. Those that are on top today, will not necessarily be there tomorrow. Why do some here, constantly bring this up. Is it to boost your school, and or, complain about others? If, either are true, then call a spade a spade, and stop with hiding under some pretense of bull. Some here need a life.

Yawn
NIL has ruined the G5
We used to be bake to have a senior heavy program going up against a young P5 program and be competitive now every yr many programs have over 50% turnover and its impossible to build a program
03-25-2024 01:44 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

(03-25-2024 01:44 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  

Yawn
NIL has ruined the G5
We used to be bake to have a senior heavy program going up against a young P5 program and be competitive now every yr many programs have over 50% turnover and its impossible to build a program

Yes, NILs are changing the way recruiting goes, watching players develop etc. We can't give up, but fight, be in the NIL game and at least compete against other G5 conferences and mid majors without FBS.

NILs will not stop the crap as we lost a player last year that was given a 6 figure NIL deal. We have already lost 4 players. Full good with players having 1 year left and wanting to cash in for all the years of dedication.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2024 02:47 PM by Steve1981.)
03-25-2024 02:45 PM
cmufanatic Offline
1st String

(03-25-2024 02:45 PM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(03-25-2024 01:44 PM)cmufanatic Wrote:  

Yawn
NIL has ruined the G5

Yes, NILs are changing the way recruiting goes, watching players develop etc. We can't give up, but fight, be in the NIL game and at least compete against other G5 conferences and mid majors without FBS.

NILs will not stop the crap as we lost a player last year that was given a 6 figure NIL deal. We have already lost 4 players. Full good with players having 1 year left and wanting to cash in for all the years of dedication.

Yes agree we must keep fighting indeed and keep cheering our programs!
03-25-2024 05:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.