Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

New CFP - G5 to Get Negligible Increase
Bookmark and Share
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
New CFP - G5 to Get Negligible Increase
Looks like the P4, especially SEC and B10 with half or more, want all the new revenue for themselves. The remaining G5 conferences will have to share between 6-10% of the remaining revenue, which could mean 1-2% per G5 conference.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...enue-split

Quote:College Football Playoff leaders are "on target" to come to a resolution by the end of the week on a proposed revenue distribution and governance structure in the next contract, sources told ESPN, but some important conversations remain before they agree to sign a lucrative TV deal with ESPN.

Commissioners of the Mountain West Conference, Sun Belt, Mid-American Conference, Conference USA and American Athletic Conference aren't keen on the proposed revenue distribution, which sources said would limit the Group of 5 conferences from making any substantial increase in revenue in the next contract, which would begin in 2026. One source described it a "slight uptick; nominal."
03-12-2024 06:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

JHVMU19 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Miami (OH)
RE: New CFP - G5 to Get Negligible Increase
(03-12-2024 06:08 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Looks like the P4, especially SEC and B10 with half or more, want all the new revenue for themselves. The remaining G5 conferences will have to share between 6-10% of the remaining revenue, which could mean 1-2% per G5 conference.

Quote:College Football Playoff leaders are "on target" to come to a resolution by the end of the week on a proposed revenue distribution and governance structure in the next contract, sources told ESPN, but some important conversations remain before they agree to sign a lucrative TV deal with ESPN.

Commissioners of the Mountain West Conference, Sun Belt, Mid-American Conference, Conference USA and American Athletic Conference aren't keen on the proposed revenue distribution, which sources said would limit the Group of 5 conferences from making any substantial increase in revenue in the next contract, which would begin in 2026. One source described it a "slight uptick; nominal."

SEC/BIG have ruined the classic college football traditional conferences and all college sports…

Well, it might sadly be time to cancel ESPN and cable sports and take a stand against this garbage if this happens. I don’t watch any ACC/SEC/BIG12 unless playing the MAC. I won’t miss BIG10 much either as long as I can watch the MAC. I may be in the minority, but that is OK if so. If this massive revenue differential happens the ACC and BIG12 will slowly fall apart as well. Will Vandy, NW, etc. get the boot? Time will tell…
We will soon welcome back Cincy to the MAC.
03-12-2024 08:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
sheck Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Massachusetts
The G5 conferences should get together and form their own tournament. You're going to have four G5 champs that won't get to go to the playoff, so that's a four team tournament right there. Sell the naming rights to a sponsor and get a TV network or maybe even a streamer to pay for the broadcast rights. This way every conference champ has something to play for and the G5 schools can get some revenue without having to be subservient to the P54 for a change.
03-13-2024 12:38 AM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
That's not all ... see the thread on the main csnbbs realignment board about ross dellenger commentary ("Ross Dellenger Interview with 365 Sports"). One of the "notes" taken by a listener says ... "From B1G and SEC, add value for their regular season by dropping FCS games and G5 games, play more big games against bigger brands, not risk/cost one's season having more losses by having multiple CFP bids."

In addition to CFP share dropping, there's this. Already, playing more games in conference cuts into potential games with FCS and G5 (that's us). Those million-dollar payday games also being discussed.

Now add this from csnbbs main: "Dan Wetzel Article: Will SEC, B10 GREED Ruin College Sports As We Know It??"
(This post was last modified: 03-13-2024 04:34 AM by pvk75.)
03-13-2024 04:24 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(03-13-2024 12:38 AM)sheck Wrote:  The G5 conferences should get together and form their own tournament. You're going to have four G5 champs that won't get to go to the playoff, so that's a four team tournament right there. Sell the naming rights to a sponsor and get a TV network or maybe even a streamer to pay for the broadcast rights. This way every conference champ has something to play for and the G5 schools can get some revenue without having to be subservient to the P54 for a change.

Honestly, I'd rather SEC and B10 just leave FBS and form their own division with their own playoff system. The remaining P2 can join the G5 and have our own playoff system. The other P2 (Big 12 and ACC) are way behind the SEC and B10 in revenue, just like the G5. Many of the current Big 12 schools are former G5 schools anyway. So a playoff system with those seven conferences would be pretty competitive.
03-13-2024 08:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JHVMU19 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Miami (OH)
(03-13-2024 08:56 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  
(03-13-2024 12:38 AM)sheck Wrote:  The G5 conferences should get together and form their own tournament. You're going to have four G5 champs that won't get to go to the playoff, so that's a four team tournament right there. Sell the naming rights to a sponsor and get a TV network or maybe even a streamer to pay for the broadcast rights. This way every conference champ has something to play for and the G5 schools can get some revenue without having to be subservient to the P54 for a change.

Honestly, I'd rather SEC and B10 just leave FBS and form their own division with their own playoff system. The remaining P2 can join the G5 and have our own playoff system. The other P2 (Big 12 and ACC) are way behind the SEC and B10 in revenue, just like the G5. Many of the current Big 12 schools are former G5 schools anyway. So a playoff system with those seven conferences would be pretty competitive.

Everyone else can be “THE MAGNIFICENT 7” (BIG/SEC are in their own world).
03-13-2024 09:01 AM
Advertisement

epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

My understanding is the current CFP deal with ESPN is worth $470 million annually. That will increase almost 3 fold to $1.3 billion but the greedy SEC and B10 don't want to share it with the G5. Those two conferences really need to break off and create their own division and CFP since they seem intent on destroying the current makeup of FBS (destroying conferences like B12 and PAC 12 by raiding them over the years, creating a 4-team CFP system that favored them, etc.).
03-13-2024 09:02 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
[Image: please-sir.gif]
03-13-2024 09:04 AM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-13-2024 09:02 AM)epasnoopy Wrote:  My understanding is the current CFP deal with ESPN is worth $470 million annually. That will increase almost 3 fold to $1.3 billion ...

Note that the current "non CFP" NY6 money has to be added in for a valid benchmark, since the CFP12 folds the "non CFP NY6" in as quarterfinal games, so part of the increase is that the CFP part will now cover all of the value, rather than the present situation of having a substantial share of the value of the system in side deals.

Some lazy reporters have been describing the situation as the Go5 dropping from 20% to 10%, when the share of the total CFP+NY6 payout is not actually 20%. If the total CFP+NY6 is around $670m, then the Go5 share is around 15% at present.

The 2026 money is basically double the current money, the current payout would be around 7.5% of the 2026 money, so if the Go5 gets 8%-10% of the new contract, their increment would indeed be a "nominal" boost, as indicated according to reporting above from some Go5 sources.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2024 06:04 PM by BruceMcF.)
03-13-2024 11:03 AM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
Negotiations are still ongoing and nothing is finalized on CFP revenue distributions. I admit it does not look good.

M2 and G5 need to STAND UP to these greedy bullies. What have we got to lose?
03-13-2024 04:36 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(03-13-2024 04:36 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Negotiations are still ongoing and nothing is finalized on CFP revenue distributions. I admit it does not look good.

The Big10 and SEC will moan and gripe and threaten to take their ball and play somewhere else (which I am totally fine with). I'd rather see more competitive college football than watch two conferences collect all the wealth and opportunities while the rest just get left further and further behind.
03-13-2024 04:47 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-13-2024 04:36 PM)TOPSTRAIGHT Wrote:  Negotiations are still ongoing and nothing is finalized on CFP revenue distributions. I admit it does not look good.

Under the mooted distribution, the M2 are more or less keeping their revenue shares intact, while the Go5 would be mostly keeping its revenue level intact, and the SEC and Big Ten get increased share by splitting the PAC-12's share and by taking what would have been the growth in the Go5 share in a pro-rata increase.

It's like the old politician's saw, "let's not tax me, and let's not tax thee, let's tax that fella over yonder under the tree."
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2024 12:54 PM by BruceMcF.)
03-14-2024 12:52 PM
george14 Offline
1st String

I Root For: CMU
Schadenfraude still probably thinks this is no big deal.

Writing is on the wall and this was obvious over the years. The elites will add conference games which removes our paydays and the new deal + NIL will continue to create a wealth gap much like we see in America.
03-14-2024 01:59 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(03-12-2024 08:49 PM)JHVMU19 Wrote:  
(03-12-2024 06:08 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Looks like the P4, especially SEC and B10 with half or more, want all the new revenue for themselves. The remaining G5 conferences will have to share between 6-10% of the remaining revenue, which could mean 1-2% per G5 conference.

SEC/BIG have ruined the classic college football traditional conferences and all college sports…

Well, it might sadly be time to cancel ESPN and cable sports and take a stand against this garbage if this happens. I don’t watch any ACC/SEC/BIG12 unless playing the MAC. I won’t miss BIG10 much either as long as I can watch the MAC. I may be in the minority, but that is OK if so. If this massive revenue differential happens the ACC and BIG12 will slowly fall apart as well. Will Vandy, NW, etc. get the boot? Time will tell…
We will soon welcome back Cincy to the MAC.

I'm with you there. Depending on what happens it will be the last time I've watched games outside of the MAC/other G5 games.
03-14-2024 04:04 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

(03-14-2024 01:59 PM)george14 Wrote:  Schadenfraude still probably thinks this is no big deal.

Writing is on the wall and this was obvious over the years. The elites will add conference games which removes our paydays and the new deal + NIL will continue to create a wealth gap much like we see in America.

Yea, NIU needs those payday games as much as anyone - don't see how we get by without a couple of them. And NIL + transfer portal is going to keep us from getting anywhere.
03-14-2024 04:07 PM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

For reference:
Quote:The following is a breakdown of the CFP revenue distribution:
For the 2023-24 academic year:

Each conference will receive $300,000 for each of its schools when the school’s football team meets the NCAA’s APR for participation in a postseason football game. Each independent institution will also receive $300,000 when its football team meets that standard.

A conference will receive $6 million for each team that is selected for a Playoff Semifinal. There will be no additional distribution to conferences whose teams qualify for the national championship game. A conference will receive $4 million for each team that plays in a non-playoff bowl under the arrangement.

Each conference whose team participates in a Playoff Semifinal, Cotton, Fiesta, or Peach bowls, or in the national championship game, will receive $2.85 million to cover expenses for each game.

Based on calculations from the 2022-23 season, the following distributions were made in the spring of 2023 (Estimates for the 2023-24 season will be finalized following the 2024 CFP National Championship.):

Each of the 10 conferences received a base amount. For conferences that have contracts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose, or Sugar bowls, the base combined with the full academic performance pool was approximately $79.41 million for each conference. The five conferences that do not have contracts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose or Sugar bowls received approximately $102.77 million in aggregate (full academic pool plus base). The conferences distribute these funds as they choose. Notre Dame received a payment of $3.89 million by meeting the APR standard; the other six independents shared $1.89 million.

Certain conferences in the Football Championship Subdivision received approximately $3.08 million in aggregate.

so FCS 3.08M, ND 3.89M Indy 1.89M, G5 Conferences 102.77 = 111.63M
https://collegefootballplayoff.com/sport...ution.aspx

Like the idea of ND coming out of the 90%, since they are P5. Then Indy and FCS come out of the G5 10%. (Say FCS 0.38% and Indy 0.12%)

Based on above and the 1.3B times 9.5% would be 123.5M for the G5 Conferences at a high level. How ever they will also take ND share out of our pie making it a slight bump up.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2024 06:13 PM by Steve1981.)
03-14-2024 05:47 PM
Advertisement

BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

$100m-$130m?
03-14-2024 06:15 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Big 10 and SEC got their way and the G5 cowered from putting up any fight. They got a 400% increase per school in revenue, ACC with 240% increase, Big 12 with 220% increase, and the G5 with less than 20% increase from previous CFP deal.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...p-contract

Quote:The financial distribution for the expected 14-team playoff will look radically different from that of its playoff predecessor. On an annual basis, for example, the Big Ten and SEC will be making more than $21 million per school, a number that's up from the nearly $5.5 million the Power 5 leagues are currently being paid.

Quote:The Group of 5 schools (the American, Conference USA, MAC, Mountain West and Sun Belt) revenue will increase to just under $1.8 million from the current $1.5 million. According to multiple sources, AAC commissioner Mike Aresco has been the most outspoken critic of the plan but hasn't been able to garner enough support from other commissioners to fight it.
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2024 09:35 PM by epasnoopy.)
03-14-2024 09:33 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-14-2024 09:33 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Big 10 and SEC got their way and the G5 cowered from putting up any fight. They got a 400% increase per school in revenue, ACC with 240% increase, Big 12 with 220% increase, and the G5 with less than 20% increase from previous CFP deal. ...

Note that the benchmark in the article is chosen to make things look better for the M2 than they actually are.

An even split of the PAC-12 money and then a pro-rata increase would see every Power conference getting a 250% increase ... double the 125% they would get if they split the PAC-12 share evenly.

And it "looks like" the ACC and Big12 are close to that. But this bundles the bowl payouts in, and the Sugar Bowl payout to the Big12 champion two years out of three was $40m, and the Orange Bowl payout to the ACC champion two years out of three was $35m. So the "240% increase" and "220% increase" are in reality very close to a pro-rata 200% increase.

As I noted previously, the SEC and Big Ten are swallowing the PAC-12's share, including increment, and then swallowing most of the Go5 pro-rata increment on top. They are buying off M2 compliance with that by giving them pro-rata increases, and making it look like it is a more than pro-rata increase by playing a game with the original base of comparison, leaving the NY6 bowl money out of the "current income" base amount.
03-15-2024 08:22 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

Do you thing the G5 money, roughly 117M will be divided per team, conference, or more like the present with a performance pool.
03-15-2024 12:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.