03-08-2024 06:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: SOTU
(03-08-2024 06:59 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  Gold Star father arrested

I didnt watch the STOU, but I guess we're treating it like the British House of Commons now?

The arrest is stupid, but the interruptions are stupid too.
03-08-2024 09:16 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-08-2024 09:16 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

I didnt watch the STOU, but I guess we're treating it like the British House of Commons now?

So are 97 applause breaks in a 102 minute speech. That's a number I heard and can't verify... but I did see an article suggesting that one of Trump's had 110, so this would not be unusual/

This article from 2013.... just the first that came up... don't know the politics of NYMAG....
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2013/02/...-fest.html
Quote:despite 253 Democratic lawmakers interrupting him just about every other word with standing ovations.

Former Republican Senator and Texas Governor Kay Bailey Hutchison told CNN’s aptly named State of the Union this weekend that she’s glad she no longer has “to stand up and clap every fifteen seconds.”

(just to show I'm not just calling out dems)

What's interesting about the article to me is that it talks about how Reagan (as you might on a TV show) began scripting applause breaks... so Tip O'Neill (as a protest) started scripting 'opposing' breaks any time he gave a 'democrat' counter point.... and thus it seems the games began.

And yes... I think it wholly predictable that if you're peppering a roughly 100 minute speech with roughly 100 applause breaks... that 'the other side' is going to start peppering you with 'boo' breaks (or worse). I don't watch them often so I can't speak to how many have acted, but I thought Biden's comments towards the SCOTUS were beyond uncalled for. I seem to recall a previous President being called out for challenging the 'independent' judiciary. He's similarly raising the bar (and may not have been remotely the first) on turning these from 'self-reviews' to being campaign pitches and mud slinging contests.

Frankly, I think the SOTU is stupid and outdated. You have the person presumed most directly 'responsible' (fair or not) for the condition of the country telling you the condition of the country. Surprise, surprise... It's always strong and the only thing keeping it from being stronger is 'the opposing party'. That's like an employee writing their own annual review without repercussions for blaming their boss or other employees.

While that (self-review) is certainly a strategy, it is mostly used by employers to judge an employees self-awareness or willingness to take responsibility... and not to actually evaluate the employee's performance.

I think they should be done away with.
03-08-2024 10:05 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(03-08-2024 10:05 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  
(03-08-2024 09:16 AM)RiceLad15 Wrote:  

So are 97 applause breaks in a 102 minute speech. That's a number I heard and can't verify... but I did see an article suggesting that one of Trump's had 110, so this would not be unusual/

This article from 2013.... just the first that came up... don't know the politics of NYMAG....
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2013/02/...-fest.html
Quote:despite 253 Democratic lawmakers interrupting him just about every other word with standing ovations.

Former Republican Senator and Texas Governor Kay Bailey Hutchison told CNN’s aptly named State of the Union this weekend that she’s glad she no longer has “to stand up and clap every fifteen seconds.”

(just to show I'm not just calling out dems)

What's interesting about the article to me is that it talks about how Reagan (as you might on a TV show) began scripting applause breaks... so Tip O'Neill (as a protest) started scripting 'opposing' breaks any time he gave a 'democrat' counter point.... and thus it seems the games began.

And yes... I think it wholly predictable that if you're peppering a roughly 100 minute speech with roughly 100 applause breaks... that 'the other side' is going to start peppering you with 'boo' breaks (or worse). I don't watch them often so I can't speak to how many have acted, but I thought Biden's comments towards the SCOTUS were beyond uncalled for. I seem to recall a previous President being called out for challenging the 'independent' judiciary. He's similarly raising the bar (and may not have been remotely the first) on turning these from 'self-reviews' to being campaign pitches and mud slinging contests.

Frankly, I think the SOTU is stupid and outdated. You have the person presumed most directly 'responsible' (fair or not) for the condition of the country telling you the condition of the country. Surprise, surprise... It's always strong and the only thing keeping it from being stronger is 'the opposing party'. That's like an employee writing their own annual review without repercussions for blaming their boss or other employees.

While that (self-review) is certainly a strategy, it is mostly used by employers to judge an employees self-awareness or willingness to take responsibility... and not to actually evaluate the employee's performance.

I think they should be done away with.

I thought Lad was only speaking about interruptions from the opposition. Maybe I was wrong.

The constant applauding is one reason I don't watch. Another is that I, like MSNBC, don't like listening to lies, especially lies being applauded.

another tradition that seems to be going by the wayside is not confronting SCOTUS during the SOTU.

I think I know the State Of The Union...and it is not good, and getting worse.
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2024 10:19 AM by OptimisticOwl.)
03-08-2024 10:17 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(03-08-2024 10:17 AM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I thought Lad was only speaking about interruptions from the opposition. Maybe I was wrong.

No action in politics will be without a reaction. If the party of the guy delivering the speech wants to turn it into an applause fest (which has been a thing for a while now) then it should not be surprising that the opposition will want to paint a different picture during the same time (which has been going on for almost as long, per the 2013 article speaking about the early 1980s)

What little I saw of Biden's speech was particularly divisive IMO... and I'm sure he's not the first to do so... but once that door is opened, do not expect it to be closed... but instead to get open wider.... hence why it should be done away with.

I don't know if they've started doing this, but I'd expect the reaction to the 'rah rah' of the SOTU to result in not just a quiet speech as an 'official response', but a similar 'pep rally' with cheers and applause and attacks... which of course will eventually be met with protestors/interruptions etc... or 'responses to the response' etc etc etc.

Honestly, It's pathetic. We don't need the President (or anyone else) to tell us how we're doing.
03-08-2024 10:32 AM
Rice93 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
New Orleans Bowl
The SOTU has become progressively unwatchable over the past 30 years. The endless ovations are ridiculous. The newer yelling from the opposition is unwelcome.

Neither side can point to the other as the cause of these problems. They're both culpable.
03-08-2024 11:04 AM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(03-08-2024 11:04 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  Neither side can point to the other as the cause of these problems. They're both culpable.

and they both will say the other side started it.

DC these days is all about retribution.
03-08-2024 11:45 AM
RiceLad15 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
(03-08-2024 11:04 AM)Rice93 Wrote:  The SOTU has become progressively unwatchable over the past 30 years. The endless ovations are ridiculous. The newer yelling from the opposition is unwelcome.

Neither side can point to the other as the cause of these problems. They're both culpable.

The new habit of yelling is worse to me.

The numerous applause breaks are stupid too, but at least they don’t involve heckling from the cheap seats.
03-08-2024 12:50 PM
georgewebb Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rice!
The Parliament AwardsDonators
(03-08-2024 10:05 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  . . . I thought Biden's comments towards the SCOTUS were beyond uncalled for.

Yes indeed -- those comments were both ignorant and trashy.

And Biden claims to have been an attorney. :(
03-08-2024 03:38 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

03-08-2024 08:57 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

fact checking Biden’s SOTU

I am pretty sure that MSNBC covered the speech, despite their avowed policy of not covering lies. Maybe Biden’s lies don’t count.
03-08-2024 11:04 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-08-2024 11:04 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  fact checking Biden’s SOTU

I am pretty sure that MSNBC covered the speech, despite their avowed policy of not covering lies. Maybe Biden’s lies don’t count.

Biden’s lies are not lies if you work for MSNBC.
03-09-2024 11:42 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
While the substance of the Republican response wasn't bad, it wasn't anything groundbreaking either. Also, it was severely over-prepared (and thus over-acted) like a high-school level actress. The setting also seemed a bit too fancy of a kitchen to click with the average regular voter. Not quite Nancy's ice cream, but I found myself being reminded of that horrific miscue from the tone-deaf left. Republicans should know their base better by now. I'm hopeful these decisions will change for the better now that RINO Ronna McDaniel finally got the long-overdue boot back to Liz Cheyneyville where she belongs.

It was a missed opportunity in that should have been President Trump to give the rebuttal--after all, he is the presumptive nominee at this point, and since this wasn't anything close to a presidential state of the union address, but instead an unhinged, speech-slurred angry rant from a teleprompter by a puppet high on amphetamines, might as well have gotten the party started.
03-09-2024 04:00 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

What is the problem that Democrats have with calling an illegal immigrant an illegal?

https://apnews.com/article/illegal-biden...789cd1d0f0
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2024 07:48 PM by OptimisticOwl.)
03-09-2024 07:44 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(03-09-2024 04:00 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Republicans should know their base better by now.

But they don't, and that is very disappointing.
03-09-2024 07:48 PM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

(03-09-2024 07:48 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(03-09-2024 04:00 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Republicans should know their base better by now.

But they don't, and that is very disappointing.

But President Trump does, and that is very encouraging.
03-09-2024 11:59 PM
Advertisement

GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

Quote: TIL than Lincoln Riley was killed by an illegal immigrant.

RIP, USC football coach.

— David Perron (@DavidPe51482177) March 8, 2024
03-10-2024 12:00 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

Quote: Still can’t believe he’s gone pic.twitter.com/bADXA8m1FU

— NFL Memes (@NFL_Memes) March 8, 2024
03-10-2024 12:01 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

Last year, Mike Leach. Now we are told this year Lincoln Riley. When will it end??
USC is gonna have it even tougher in the B1G without him.
03-10-2024 12:03 AM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

03-10-2024 12:27 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.