Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Notre Dame....hold the line
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
Notre Dame....hold the line
When I hear ND to the B1G as a football member rumors, I usually ignore it, ND has made it plain and been consistent that they will remain Indy come hell or high water. Maybe it's the offseason doldrums or maybe there is smoke, but it seems that there is more reception to this idea by ND fans (or people pretending to be) on social media and in the comments section.

Reason #1. Football Independence makes ND unique. It's tradition. It's scheduling freedom. ND's value is enhanced as an OOC opponent more than an in conference opponent.

Reason #2. Guaranteed national exposure on the top channels. ND get's 7 guaranteed home games on NBC and 5 others on ABC/ESPN. Imagine signing your life away to a conference, drawing the short straw and getting relegated to ESPN2, Thursday night, CW, ACCN or B1GN.

Reason #3. Post season earnings. ND get's to keep all of their playoff money and with a 12 team playoff coming, they should get into it in more years than not.
03-06-2024 08:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
RE: Notre Dame....hold the line
https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/l...d-the-b10/

Probably not now but perhaps sometime in 2030s.
03-06-2024 11:54 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Paradigm might change by then, I wouldn’t hold my breath.
03-07-2024 08:23 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Reason #4:

Its ND's (the school, not the program) identity, its part of its DNA. Moving ND into the Big Ten damages that identity, just as moving Alabama or LSU to the Big Ten would do.

Reason #5:

ND strongly believes that football independence is the better way to market the school than to be a homogeneous conference member.

Reason #6:

ND distrusts the Big Ten (especially Michigan and Ohio State) and thinks that the Big Ten would not advance ND's interests and would likely work for the opposite.
03-07-2024 09:18 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-06-2024 11:54 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  https://fightingirishwire.usatoday.com/l...d-the-b10/

Probably not now but perhaps sometime in 2030s.

Even the author of this filler article admits to strongly preferring football independence, just like most ND fans.
03-07-2024 09:21 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hallcity Offline
1st String

I Root For: Duke
To change the subject slightly, we're hearing of a plan to give the SEC and B1G each three automatic qualifiers to the football playoff and the ACC and B12 two each. How does Notre Dame fit in this? Would Notre Dame be considered part of the ACC for this purpose? Would this mean that Notre Dame would be locked out of being a top seed receiving a bye?
03-07-2024 09:35 AM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-07-2024 09:35 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  To change the subject slightly, we're hearing of a plan to give the SEC and B1G each three automatic qualifiers to the football playoff and the ACC and B12 two each. How does Notre Dame fit in this? Would Notre Dame be considered part of the ACC for this purpose? Would this mean that Notre Dame would be locked out of being a top seed receiving a bye?

The 12-team rules state that ND is an automatic at-large team if they finish the season in the top 12. I suspect something similar would be in the 14-team rules, but they would still be at-large (from a pool of only 3!) - but I don't know that for a fact.
03-07-2024 09:44 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-07-2024 09:35 AM)Hallcity Wrote:  To change the subject slightly, we're hearing of a plan to give the SEC and B1G each three automatic qualifiers to the football playoff and the ACC and B12 two each. How does Notre Dame fit in this? Would Notre Dame be considered part of the ACC for this purpose? Would this mean that Notre Dame would be locked out of being a top seed receiving a bye?

Yes, it was Jack Swarbrick's idea as chairman of the playoff expansion committee.

He was tired of hearing that every playoff team but ND had to play an extra game (conference championship game).

Notre Dame cannot get a bye....but it can likely get a number of home playoff games against lower seeded schools in December (hopefully Southern teams unused to cold weather).

Counting the championship game, every school will play the same number of post-season games, including ND.

ND approved this setup in 2021. It is only some of the media and social media who are only now talking about this.

ND thinks that playoff setup is great for it. Its bye week is the conference championship game week.

ND believes that this playoff setup ensures its football independence.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2024 10:29 AM by TerryD.)
03-07-2024 10:25 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-07-2024 09:44 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

The 12-team rules state that ND is an automatic at-large team if they finish the season in the top 12. I suspect something similar would be in the 14-team rules, but they would still be at-large (from a pool of only 3!) - but I don't know that for a fact.

I have seen recent reports regarding a 14 team playoff that if ND finishes in the Top 14 of the playoff rankings, it qualifies for the playoffs.
03-07-2024 10:28 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(03-07-2024 10:28 AM)TerryD Wrote:  
(03-07-2024 09:44 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I have seen recent reports regarding a 14 team playoff that if ND finishes in the Top 14 of the playoff rankings, it qualifies for the playoffs.

I tell you, I'm shocked!
07-coffee3
03-07-2024 11:06 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

"Another option being discussed for this is for Notre Dame to get an automatic bid. To automatically qualify, the Fighting Irish would need to be ranked in the top 14 on selection day. If this is the way the committee goes, if Notre Dame gets a bid, then the last three at large spots would drop to two."

https://www.wruf.com/headlines/2024/02/2...0to%20two.
03-07-2024 12:04 PM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

I don't see the first round bye being a big deal for ND, they essentially get one for not being in a conference championship game and they potentially get an extra home game.
03-07-2024 02:39 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
(02-22-2024 08:09 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Zero. Zilch. NADA. Was Green's post directed at me? I can never tell.......

(All he really says in his Tweets is that he heard from Ohio State "insiders" that the Big Ten and its media partners are combining/conspiring to put together another package/offer to make another run at ND to join the Big Ten. Like, no kidding, right?)

HOW YA DOING
03-07-2024 04:13 PM
meyersnole Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: FSU
(03-07-2024 12:04 PM)TerryD Wrote:  "Another option being discussed for this is for Notre Dame to get an automatic bid. To automatically qualify, the Fighting Irish would need to be ranked in the top 14 on selection day. If this is the way the committee goes, if Notre Dame gets a bid, then the last three at large spots would drop to two."

Given what the selection committee did this year, this statement would not make me feel good "need to be ranked in the top 14 on selection day."
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2024 10:48 PM by meyersnole.)
03-07-2024 10:48 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

(03-07-2024 04:13 PM)green Wrote:  HOW YA DOING

CAN'T COMPLAIN. YOU?
03-07-2024 11:50 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(03-07-2024 10:48 PM)meyersnole Wrote:  
(03-07-2024 12:04 PM)TerryD Wrote:  "Another option being discussed for this is for Notre Dame to get an automatic bid. To automatically qualify, the Fighting Irish would need to be ranked in the top 14 on selection day. If this is the way the committee goes, if Notre Dame gets a bid, then the last three at large spots would drop to two."

Given what the selection committee did this year, this statement would not make me feel good "need to be ranked in the top 14 on selection day."

lol it would not make you feel good because they’d bump a 10-2 FSU for a 9-3 Notre Dame?

Let’s face it. TV LOVES ND; they’ll be getting boosted to make the playoffs.
03-08-2024 06:55 AM
Advertisement

meyersnole Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: FSU
(03-08-2024 06:55 AM)esayem Wrote:  

lol it would not make you feel good because they’d bump a 10-2 FSU for a 9-3 Notre Dame?

Pretty sure FSU had higher ratings than ND this year… but agree that is not the norm. But why is this a requirement for championships, and thus my point.

The B1G is flexing to force ND it appears. We have always seen an exception for ND in the past when it came to ND in the post season, don’t see that this time.
03-08-2024 09:47 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(03-08-2024 09:47 AM)meyersnole Wrote:  
(03-08-2024 06:55 AM)esayem Wrote:  

Pretty sure FSU had higher ratings than ND this year… but agree that is not the norm. But why is this a requirement for championships, and thus my point.

The B1G is flexing to force ND it appears. We have always seen an exception for ND in the past when it came to ND in the post season, don’t see that this time.

ND will sleepwalk into the top 14. It's not even a question. I'm rooting for ND to remain Independent, not because it helps the ACC, but because the Big Ten is soooo damn thirsty it's pathetic!
03-08-2024 10:34 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

No sweat there. ND will get selected in that scenario. ND is not FSU. ND is ND.

This setup IS an exception for ND. How is this different than the current playoff "exception" for ND?
(This post was last modified: 03-08-2024 10:54 AM by TerryD.)
03-08-2024 10:51 AM
Garrettabc Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2024 10:51 AM)TerryD Wrote:  

No sweat there. ND will get selected in that scenario. ND is not FSU. ND is ND.

This setup IS an exception for ND. How is this different than the current playoff "exception" for ND?

If ESPN is running the playoffs, they have more incentive to put their guys in. Probably not a ND problem, but it is for most everybody else.
03-08-2024 11:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.