The return of UMASS
02-26-2024 02:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

I Root For: NIU
RE: The return of UMASS
Another school has to be coming or this blows up the pods before it even gets started.

UCONN for football only seems like the obvious one
02-26-2024 02:45 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(02-26-2024 02:45 PM)7 Wrote:  Another school has to be coming or this blows up the pods before it even gets started.

Even another team still creates uneven pods. They'd have to add 3 more teams to balance it out.
02-26-2024 02:47 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

Nevertheless.

A huge step down for all other sports from the A10 just to get football into a conference.
02-26-2024 02:50 PM
HawaiiToNIU Online
All American

Lol, The MAC.
02-26-2024 02:51 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(02-26-2024 02:47 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(02-26-2024 02:45 PM)7 Wrote:  Another school has to be coming or this blows up the pods before it even gets started.

Even another team still creates uneven pods. They'd have to add 3 more teams to balance it out.

Yeah good point. Guess you’d have to blow up the pods and go with “protected rivalries” instead.

This is real pie in the sky stuff, but the MAC having UCONN/UMASS/Buffalo could put themself in an interesting spot with Pitt, Syracuse, and Boston College if/when Florida state eventually blows up the ACC.
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

(02-26-2024 02:51 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  Lol, The MAC.

It's a great move foe the conference to add the Boston media market.
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(02-26-2024 02:51 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(02-26-2024 02:51 PM)HawaiiToNIU Wrote:  Lol, The MAC.

It's a great move foe the conference to add the Boston media market.

And UMASS is a strong hoops program. This seems like a win for the MAC honestly.
02-26-2024 02:53 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I Root For: NIU Huskies
UMass football is horrendous. Will probably be worst in the conference with Akron and/or Kent State.

UMass hasn't been to the tournament since 1998, according to Wikipedia. So doesn't help the conference become a multi-bid league.
(This post was last modified: 02-26-2024 03:19 PM by epasnoopy.)
02-26-2024 03:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

Kudos to Dr Jon sir snagging UMASS before the BIG did.
02-26-2024 03:34 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(02-26-2024 03:19 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  UMass football is horrendous. Will probably be worst in the conference with Akron and/or Kent State.

UMass hasn't been to the tournament since 1998, according to Wikipedia. So doesn't help the conference become a multi-bid league.

This has nothing to do with the strength of the UMASS football team. And the basketball team slots in along with the top teams in the MAC.

This is all about adding the Boston media market. If they can also add Connecticut football (no way they leave the Big East) and maybe coax another A10 school like Fordham, this is a coop to grab some of the biggest media markets available.
02-26-2024 03:37 PM
Advertisement

Big Red Offline
All American

Maybe a school lile Stony Brook is a better fit being public as opposed to Fordham who is private.
02-26-2024 03:45 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(02-26-2024 03:37 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(02-26-2024 03:19 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  UMass football is horrendous. Will probably be worst in the conference with Akron and/or Kent State.

This has nothing to do with the strength of the UMASS football team. And the basketball team slots in along with the top teams in the MAC.

This is all about adding the Boston media market. If they can also add Connecticut football (no way they leave the Big East) and maybe coax another A10 school like Fordham, this is a coop to grab some of the biggest media markets available.

Yep
02-26-2024 03:57 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

(02-26-2024 03:37 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

So is that lucrative Boston market ensuring our TV dollars aren't further diluted among 13 members? Did ESPN make assurances that the existing 12 members will receive same amount or more $$.

If UMass brings the Boston market does that mean NIU brings the Chicago market? Quite a few people on here say no. DeKalb is closer to Chicago than Amherst is to Boston.
02-26-2024 04:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
What a coup!
02-26-2024 04:26 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

I really wanted WKU. Hopefully MAC can still make that happen. They have a TON of history and success in basketball and have a good football program with some high-flying offenses.
02-26-2024 04:35 PM
Advertisement

Motown Bronco Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: WMU
(02-26-2024 02:51 PM)7 Wrote:  
(02-26-2024 02:47 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Yeah good point. Guess you’d have to blow up the pods and go with “protected rivalries” instead.

This is real pie in the sky stuff, but the MAC having UCONN/UMASS/Buffalo could put themself in an interesting spot with Pitt, Syracuse, and Boston College if/when Florida state eventually blows up the ACC.

I'm betting that's how it'll go. It's what the B1G is doing after dumping divisions.

I'm cool with the UMass add, but never a fan of odd-numbered conferences. Figure a 14th has to be in the works. Delaware seemed like a nice FCS add but I assume that ship has sailed. They're a much better fit (somewhat geographically but certainly culturally) with the Rust-Belt Great Lakes than the deep south.

Not sure if WKU is still interested in joining up as they were when they thought semi-neighbor MTSU was tagging along.
02-26-2024 05:05 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
UMASS has men’s soccer. The MAC is potentially within one more school of getting back to six, which would allow it to re-establish the sport.
02-26-2024 05:59 PM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

Wonder why CUSA chose to take Delaware over UMass.

Says UMass applied to both conferences.

In looking at the records, UMass has a combined four FBS wins in last 5 seasons. They will be duking it out with Akron for that coveted one FBS win every season.
02-26-2024 06:04 PM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(02-26-2024 06:04 PM)epasnoopy Wrote:  Wonder why CUSA chose to take Delaware over UMass.

Says UMass applied to both conferences.

In looking at the records, UMass has a combined four FBS wins in last 5 seasons. They will be duking it out with Akron for that coveted one FBS win every season.

I know we are all miserable about everything, but per Thamel (who broke the news) UMASS chose the MAC.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/stor...-26-season
02-26-2024 06:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.