Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mulitple ACC Lawsuits Primary Sources: Links to the actual legal documents
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
Mulitple ACC Lawsuits Primary Sources: Links to the actual legal documents
(This post was last modified: 03-19-2024 11:34 AM by johnbragg.)
01-31-2024 06:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

johnbragg Offline

RE: FSU vs ACC Lawsuit Primary Sources: Links to the actual legal documents
247sports Florida State has the motion on Scribd, also you can download a PDF.

https://247sports.com/college/florida-st...226485594/
02-01-2024 03:48 PM
johnbragg Offline

Not a hugely controversial deal, but the ACC served notice on ESPN that ESPN has 20 days to file something about the contracts being kept secret.

02-05-2024 06:23 PM
PeteTheChop Online
Here rests the ACC: 1953-2026

I Root For: C-A-N-E-S
(02-05-2024 06:23 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Not a hugely controversial deal, but the ACC served notice on ESPN that ESPN has 20 days to file something about the contracts being kept secret.

How will ESPN respond here?

Will that response indicate with whom the ACC's media partner sides in the Jim Phillips vs. FSU steel cage match?

Might we get an early indication of how ESPN is positioning itself for when FSU (and others?) head for the ACC (pick one) escape hatch/trapdoor?
02-06-2024 09:08 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
(02-06-2024 09:08 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(02-05-2024 06:23 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  Not a hugely controversial deal, but the ACC served notice on ESPN that ESPN has 20 days to file something about the contracts being kept secret.

Will that response indicate with whom the ACC's media partner sides in the Jim Phillips vs. FSU steel cage match?

Might we get an early indication of how ESPN is positioning itself for when FSU (and others?) head for the ACC (pick one) escape hatch/trapdoor?

I don't think ESPN ever expected their contract to be considered a Trade Secret.
02-06-2024 09:18 AM
LeeNobody Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Georgia Tech
(02-06-2024 09:18 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

I don't think ESPN ever expected their contract to be considered a Trade Secret.
ESPN will intervene as having a deal public hurts ESPN's media rights negotiations going forward.

Do you attach a current pay stub to your resumé when you apply for a job? ESPN is reticent to lose any negotiation leverage regardless of how know the terms are.
02-06-2024 09:23 AM
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Online

(02-06-2024 09:18 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  I don't think ESPN ever expected their contract to be considered a Trade Secret.

In your estimation, who has more to lose if the "Trade Secret(s)" enter the public domain: the ACC or ESPN?
02-06-2024 09:38 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
(02-06-2024 09:38 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(02-06-2024 09:18 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  I don't think ESPN ever expected their contract to be considered a Trade Secret.

In your estimation, who has more to lose if the "Trade Secret(s)" enter the public domain: the ACC or ESPN?

The ACC... because their being sued...

The ESPN/ACC Media Deal is really old, its from 2016. The language in ESPN's most recent contracts have probably been updated since then. The most recent SEC contract is probably the standard language going forward. So the ACC deal going public doesn't harm their ability to negotiate in the future. Every conference has met with ESPN and signed or rejected new deals since the 2016 ACC deal was signed.

John Skipper the architect of the deal doesn't even work at ESPN anymore.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2024 10:44 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
02-06-2024 10:42 AM
PeteTheChop Online

(02-06-2024 10:42 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  The ACC... because their being sued...

The ESPN/ACC Media Deal is really old, its from 2016. The language in ESPN's most recent contracts have probably been updated since then. The most recent SEC contract is probably the standard language going forward. So the ACC deal going public doesn't harm their ability to negotiate in the future. Every conference has met with ESPN and signed or rejected new deals since the 2016 ACC deal was signed.

Zero question ESPN will, if necessary, back the bus over a disgraced former exec to help preserve the network's best interests going forward.

Is Phillips in position to do the same with his predecessor who happens to be the co-architect of the ACC's media rights deal?
02-06-2024 10:53 AM
johnbragg Offline

Oh I disagree.

ESPN much prefers that Mike Aresco (or whoever the new guy is) not know the exact terms of the Sun Belt ESPN contract and vice versa.

It's not like the ACC is the only league where the ESPN contract is hidden in a locked cabinet in the conference office. It's all of the leagues.

Now, does ESPN's preference add up to anything they can make an argument for in a legal filing? I have no idea.
02-06-2024 12:16 PM
b2b Offline
Heisman

I Root For: My Family + ECU
Cliffs notes?
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2024 12:32 PM by b2b.)
02-06-2024 12:32 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(02-06-2024 09:23 AM)LeeNobody Wrote:  
(02-06-2024 09:18 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  

ESPN will intervene as having a deal public hurts ESPN's media rights negotiations going forward.

Do you attach a current pay stub to your resumé when you apply for a job? ESPN is reticent to lose any negotiation leverage regardless of how know the terms are.

Maybe not. Its a 10 year old contract. They may just stay out and save the attorney's fees.
02-06-2024 01:02 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

I Root For: Florida State
(02-06-2024 10:53 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(02-06-2024 10:42 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  ....

Zero question ESPN will, if necessary, back the bus over a disgraced former exec to help preserve the network's best interests going forward.

Is Phillips in position to do the same with his predecessor who happens to be the co-architect of the ACC's media rights deal?

He's being given the opportunity. There's a saying among war strategists: 'Leave your enemy a path to retreat.'

Florida State is aggressive, but also selective in its targets. Present leaders at the ACC and at ESPN have an opportunity to play peacemaker if they choose. By throwing their predecessors under the bus, the lawsuit gives them an opening to ride away from this battle wearing white hats—even if ACC schools leave.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2024 04:18 PM by Gitanole.)
02-06-2024 04:17 PM
Skyhawk Offline
All American

I Root For: Big10
(02-06-2024 04:17 PM)Gitanole Wrote:  
(02-06-2024 10:53 AM)PeteTheChop Wrote:  
(02-06-2024 10:42 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  ....

He's being given the opportunity. There's a saying among war strategists: 'Leave your enemy a path to retreat.'

Florida State is aggressive, but also selective in its targets. Present leaders at the ACC and at ESPN have an opportunity to play peacemaker if they choose. By throwing their predecessors under the bus, the lawsuit gives them an opening to ride away from this battle wearing white hats—even if ACC schools leave.

"We're so sorry. We didn't know..."

I think that could be a tough sell. But it's possible, I guess.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2024 08:22 PM by Skyhawk.)
02-06-2024 08:21 PM
3BNole Offline
2nd String

02-07-2024 10:36 PM
Gitanole Offline
Barista

(02-07-2024 10:36 PM)3BNole Wrote:  FSU Files Motion to Dismiss ACC Lawsuit in NC

Matt Baker, Tampa Bay Times

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2024/02/...alignment/

Mr Baker elaborates on item 4 in the first link.

Florida State’s most interesting argument focuses on the ACC’s grant of rights—the document at the center of this potential half-a-billion-dollar dispute. The ACC contends that Florida State (and every other member) “knowingly and voluntarily” granted the “irrevocable” TV rights to their home games to the conference. The conference then sold them to ESPN and passed the funds back to FSU and its peers.

FSU’s latest filing argues that the school’s trustees never signed or approved the grant of rights; it was only signed by the university president. That’s important because, according to FSU, its board is the only entity with the legal authority to “contract and be contracted with.”
02-08-2024 04:24 AM
Advertisement

PeteTheChop Online

(02-08-2024 04:24 AM)Gitanole Wrote:  "FSU’s latest filing argues that the school’s trustees never signed or approved the grant of rights; it was only signed by the university president. That’s important because, according to FSU, its board is the only entity with the legal authority to 'contract and be contracted with.'"

07-coffee3
02-08-2024 08:38 AM
PeteTheChop Online

From August 2023:

"When I say we have a good handle on [the ACC Grant of Rights]... we understand it, we have a lot of counsel on it... that will not be the document that keeps us from taking action, and I'll leave it at that."

— Peter Collins, Chairman, FSU Board of Trustees
02-08-2024 08:45 AM
random asian guy Offline
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
02-08-2024 01:25 PM
3BNole Offline
2nd String

02-08-2024 05:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.