Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Team potential
Bookmark and Share
Keeper Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Team potential
Penny's teams have never played up to their potential. 6 yrs is more than a trend.
01-22-2024 10:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Team potential
You don’t think last years team did? 26-9. Conf tournament champs. 3 of the losses on last second shots. All losses by a total of 32 points, a win over the #1 team in the country on a neutral floor and all of that with a roster of KD, Deandre and a bunch of role players. The complete story isn’t written for this years team but they have played their way from unranked to top 10. Already had a 10 game winning streak in which they beat 3 ranked power 5 teams in a row. 6-1 vs the SEC and ACC combined. All of this with an entirely new roster of transfers. His teams always seem to have a head scratching loss or 2 and then get rolling this time of year.

But it’s college basketball. Everyone has a couple of WTF losses during the course of the season.
01-23-2024 08:20 AM
2021 Tiger Football!! Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(01-23-2024 08:20 AM)MemTigers1998 Wrote:  You don’t think last years team did? 26-9. Conf tournament champs. 3 of the losses on last second shots. All losses by a total of 32 points, a win over the #1 team in the country on a neutral floor and all of that with a roster of KD, Deandre and a bunch of role players. The complete story isn’t written for this years team but they have played their way from unranked to top 10. Already had a 10 game winning streak in which they beat 3 ranked power 5 teams in a row. 6-1 vs the SEC and ACC combined. All of this with an entirely new roster of transfers. His teams always seem to have a head scratching loss or 2 and then get rolling this time of year.

But it’s college basketball. Everyone has a couple of WTF losses during the course of the season.

Getting beat in first round last year pretty much negated anything good.
01-23-2024 08:23 AM
Eagleonpar Online
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
Consider the source folks
01-23-2024 08:26 AM
gotohellolemiss Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For:
In years past, Penny's teams have been consistently good on set plays out of a timeout. Not sure what changed this year - either the players aren't running the designed play, or Penny is not calling an effective play, or both. The three by Ashton under 2 minutes to play looked like designed play and got an open look. Ashton being in the game was the questionable part. The last possession looked broken from the start. There was simply no reason not to drive inside. If nothing else you can still kick out to Jones for a 3.
01-23-2024 09:02 AM
micman Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis/GT
I think we need to develop a consistent (multi year) core. We saw it with Tulane (Cross, James, and Forbes). We saw it with Houston (Shead, Mark, and Sasser). Penny consistently talks about leader in the locker room--I think he has to develop that. I don't think you can easily get that person to transfer in (he got lucky with Mills, I think; but look what's happened in Mills' absence).

Based on that, I believe that Carl Cherenfant is extremely important to the program. Not just him and his skill set, but to establish a culture of 3 year players as a core surrounded by transfers and 1 yr players rounding out things. I think Penny's defensive strategy is too complex to have wholesale changes every year and be effective. Our best defensive year was the NIT championship. That team was anchored by a bunch of returning players surrounded by Nolley, DeAndre, and Moussa.
01-23-2024 09:13 AM
Advertisement

Eagleonpar Online
Heisman

(01-23-2024 09:02 AM)gotohellolemiss Wrote:  In years past, Penny's teams have been consistently good on set plays out of a timeout. Not sure what changed this year - either the players aren't running the designed play, or Penny is not calling an effective play, or both. The three by Ashton under 2 minutes to play looked like designed play and got an open look. Ashton being in the game was the questionable part. The last possession looked broken from the start. There was simply no reason not to drive inside. If nothing else you can still kick out to Jones for a 3.

Jayden walked the ball up the court
01-23-2024 09:36 AM
Marc Mensa Offline
You'll Get Nothing and Like It

I Root For: The Underdog
The problem with Penny’s teams is by season’s end, everyone is ready to move on, assistant coaches included; so establishing a core is difficult.
01-23-2024 10:02 AM
Alcalde2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mem
(01-23-2024 09:13 AM)micman Wrote:  I think we need to develop a consistent (multi year) core. We saw it with Tulane (Cross, James, and Forbes). We saw it with Houston (Shead, Mark, and Sasser). Penny consistently talks about leader in the locker room--I think he has to develop that. I don't think you can easily get that person to transfer in (he got lucky with Mills, I think; but look what's happened in Mills' absence).

Based on that, I believe that Carl Cherenfant is extremely important to the program. Not just him and his skill set, but to establish a culture of 3 year players as a core surrounded by transfers and 1 yr players rounding out things. I think Penny's defensive strategy is too complex to have wholesale changes every year and be effective. Our best defensive year was the NIT championship. That team was anchored by a bunch of returning players surrounded by Nolley, DeAndre, and Moussa.

Didnt Mark transfer to Arkansas after a year at Houston?
01-23-2024 10:17 AM
Eagleonpar Online
Heisman

(01-23-2024 09:13 AM)micman Wrote:  I think we need to develop a consistent (multi year) core. We saw it with Tulane (Cross, James, and Forbes). We saw it with Houston (Shead, Mark, and Sasser). Penny consistently talks about leader in the locker room--I think he has to develop that. I don't think you can easily get that person to transfer in (he got lucky with Mills, I think; but look what's happened in Mills' absence).

Penny has players that stay 4-5 even 6 years. The problem is those players aren’t any good
01-23-2024 10:30 AM
micman Offline
1st String

(01-23-2024 10:17 AM)Alcalde2 Wrote:  

Didnt Mark transfer to Arkansas after a year at Houston?

He was at Houston for 3 years. He was injured most of his sophomore year.
01-23-2024 10:40 AM
Advertisement

micman Offline
1st String

(01-23-2024 10:30 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

Penny has players that stay 4-5 even 6 years. The problem is those players aren’t any good

That describes 2 players on the team. One of whom put up 13 pts, 8 reb, and 8 blocks in our last game (hardly someone who isn't any good).

After this year, the players who have eligibilty remaining: Young, Jordain, Pierre, Ashton, and Carl.

If Penny's desired long-term culture is based on elite defense, Cherenfant obviously needs to be a priority.
01-23-2024 10:51 AM
Eagleonpar Online
Heisman

I believe Jones also has an extra year. As for Malcolm. He is what he is, a great game every 4 or 5. He was obviously the problem the game before and his Instagram post pretty much proved it. If you held a gun to my head I’d say that Ashton will be the only one that returns for next season.
01-23-2024 11:14 AM
SeñorTiger Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tigers
(01-23-2024 11:14 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  I believe Jones also has an extra year. As for Malcolm. He is what he is, a great game every 4 or 5. He was obviously the problem the game before and his Instagram post pretty much proved it. If you held a gun to my head I’d say that Ashton will be the only one that returns for next season.

Truthfully, there are not a lot of potential returners as it stands anyways.

Ashton
Pierre
Carl
Young
Jourdain

I would be a bit surprised if Young, Pierre and/or Jourdain left because they would have to sit a year I believe unless they qualified as grad transfers (no clue on their degree status). I consider any freshman a likely transfer, JJ, Mikey (definitely both gone) and then Carl. I think perhaps two of that group of 5 leave. However, that still involves a complete roster turnover, especially starting positions because Jourdain is the only likely starter of that group of 5 potential returners.
01-23-2024 01:06 PM
Alcalde2 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Mem
i cant imagine why Carl and Pierre would stay. I suppose its possible that Carl is far worse than Ashton in practice and just hasnt earned the PT or struggles to understand the Xs and Os, and Ashton happens to master them enough to get the nod over Carl or even Pierre...

But I doubt it
01-23-2024 05:00 PM
micman Offline
1st String

(01-23-2024 05:00 PM)Alcalde2 Wrote:  i cant imagine why Carl and Pierre would stay. I suppose its possible that Carl is far worse than Ashton in practice and just hasnt earned the PT or struggles to understand the Xs and Os, and Ashton happens to master them enough to get the nod over Carl or even Pierre...

But I doubt it

Ashton appears to be a very skilled offensive player. I expect his career to be akin to Tyler Harris. Come off the bench and be an offensive spark.

Based on how much the frosh played in the first half against USF, I think Penny had hoped he'd be able to play these guys a good bit in league play; but it hasn't worked out that way.
01-23-2024 05:05 PM
Advertisement

tigergg Offline
Heisman

(01-23-2024 05:00 PM)Alcalde2 Wrote:  i cant imagine why Carl and Pierre would stay. I suppose its possible that Carl is far worse than Ashton in practice and just hasnt earned the PT or struggles to understand the Xs and Os, and Ashton happens to master them enough to get the nod over Carl or even Pierre...

But I doubt it
The only part I disagree with is him possibly not understanding the X’s and O’s, What X’s and O’s are there to understand? Just try and beat your man 1 on 1 or jack up a 3 and you’ve got it mastered..
01-23-2024 05:18 PM
Atlanta Online
Hall of Famer

The primary problem is our poor perimeter defense. Even when we seem to be cognizant of the need to cover a perimeter shooter (about half the time) our guys run at the shooter late after he shoots or the shooter drives past the late defender & gets to the basket. Lack of effort or sagging off side D, either way it isn't working.
01-23-2024 09:08 PM
Eagleonpar Online
Heisman

(01-23-2024 09:08 PM)Atlanta Wrote:  The primary problem is our poor perimeter defense. Even when we seem to be cognizant of the need to cover a perimeter shooter (about half the time) our guys run at the shooter late after he shoots or the shooter drives past the late defender & gets to the basket. Lack of effort or sagging off side D, either way it isn't working.

It’s amazing how many wide open corner 3s we give up
01-24-2024 08:59 AM
Eagleonpar Online
Heisman

(01-23-2024 05:05 PM)micman Wrote:  

But I doubt it

Ashton appears to be a very skilled offensive player. I expect his career to be akin to Tyler Harris. Come off the bench and be an offensive spark.

Based on how much the frosh played in the first half against USF, I think Penny had hoped he'd be able to play these guys a good bit in league play; but it hasn't worked out that way.

What is he skilled at ? He’s not very athletic and he’s had one game where he shot well. He doesn’t rebound and gets beat constantly on defense. Sorry but he’s basically like David Wingett and John Camden. The Michigan game was a long long time ago.
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2024 09:03 AM by Eagleonpar.)
01-24-2024 09:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.