Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dental School at Georgia Southern
Bookmark and Share
ButlerGSU Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: GA Southern
Dental School at Georgia Southern
During his annual speech to the Georgia Chamber of Commerce Wednesday, Gov. Brian Kemp said he is proposing a dental school be built at Georgia Southern University in Statesboro.

In discussing health care initiatives to be included in his 2024-25 budget, Kemp said, “With that in mind, my budget proposal includes $178 million for the design and construction for a dental school at Georgia Southern University – the first school of its kind in our state since the moon landing in 1969.”

https://www.statesboroherald.com/local/d...-southern/
01-11-2024 10:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bcp_jmu Online
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
RE: Dental School at Georgia Southern
Congratulations - that's pretty awesome news
01-11-2024 11:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
El Chanto Offline
1st String

I Root For: CoastalCarolina
We have a dental school with a clinic here at the MB campus of our technical college and it's fantastic! You can get x-rays and a full cleaning twice a year for a fraction of what it costs for a single visit to a private practice dentist. The people of Statesboro, and aspiring students in Georgia, should reap the benefits for years to come...02-13-banana
01-11-2024 11:49 AM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
This is really a bigger deal than most think. All public colleges and universities are controlled by ONE board of regents. I have had a personal conversation with a former employee at the BOR about 15 years ago and she said that the BOR was only interested in making sure GT and UGA were not impacted by any other college or university. The founding of Gwinnett College was actually opposed for years she said due to the thUGA homers thinking it was to close to UGA.

Hopefully this is a sign that the powers that be finally get we need more than two major national universities in this state especially south of Macon. When you look at similar populated states almost all of them have way more doctoral research universities. I fully expect GS will get a similar medical college branch of the medical college of georgia like thUGA got for the Savannah campus.

Before the GSU homers chime in yes your post bachelors is great but your under grad is nowhere near funded like UGA and GT.
01-11-2024 12:28 PM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(01-11-2024 12:28 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  This is really a bigger deal than most think. All public colleges and universities are controlled by ONE board of regents. I have had a personal conversation with a former employee at the BOR about 15 years ago and she said that the BOR was only interested in making sure GT and UGA were not impacted by any other college or university. The founding of Gwinnett College was actually opposed for years she said due to the thUGA homers thinking it was to close to UGA.

Hopefully this is a sign that the powers that be finally get we need more than two major national universities in this state especially south of Macon. When you look at similar populated states almost all of them have way more doctoral research universities. I fully expect GS will get a similar medical college branch of the medical college of georgia like thUGA got for the Savannah campus.

Before the GSU homers chime in yes your post bachelors is great but your under grad is nowhere near funded like UGA and GT.

This has already been announced. MCG will expand its medical program to Georgia Southern’s Savannah Campus starting in Fall of this year. The program can accommodate as many as 40 med students.

Georgia Southern Partnership with MCG

This means Georgia Southern is now one of only 3 public colleges in Georgia that will house a medical program.
01-11-2024 12:46 PM
JCGSU Offline
HAIL SOUTHERN

I Root For: GS EAGLES
(01-11-2024 12:46 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(01-11-2024 12:28 PM)JCGSU Wrote:  This is really a bigger deal than most think. All public colleges and universities are controlled by ONE board of regents. I have had a personal conversation with a former employee at the BOR about 15 years ago and she said that the BOR was only interested in making sure GT and UGA were not impacted by any other college or university. The founding of Gwinnett College was actually opposed for years she said due to the thUGA homers thinking it was to close to UGA.

This has already been announced. MCG will expand its medical program to Georgia Southern’s Savannah Campus starting in Fall of this year. The program can accommodate as many as 40 med students.

This means Georgia Southern is now one of only 3 public colleges in Georgia that will house a medical program.

I saw the article where is was proposed but not approved. 40 is a start at least.
01-11-2024 01:39 PM
Advertisement

Oldyeller Offline
All American

I Root For: Ga Southern
(01-11-2024 12:46 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

UGA has just been given the green light to separate from MCG. The $50 million allocated to UGA in Kemps announcement will fund the separation. GS will continue under MCG but the separation will likely occur when all the pieces are in place much the same as UGA.

The dental school is an incredible investment by the state of Ga in GS. Yes it does seem that the BOR is moving in a completely different direction and GS is playing a key role in moving that agenda forward.
01-11-2024 01:48 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
It all sounds like good news to me, especially as a South Georgia native.
01-11-2024 01:50 PM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

(01-11-2024 01:50 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  It all sounds like good news to me, especially as a South Georgia native.

Ha never heard of a native moving north. You okay? Should we send somebody to save you? Or was it a full blown family separation?
01-11-2024 02:07 PM
Dukes_Royals Online
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison University

I sometimes wonder if the one board of regents approach would be preferable to Virginia's approach where all state school's are separate but overseen by the Governor and General Assembly.

But this approach has allowed JMU and ODU to grow and flourish without VT and UVA getting in the way.
01-11-2024 02:51 PM
Pounce FTW Offline
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
(01-11-2024 02:07 PM)Oldyeller Wrote:  
(01-11-2024 01:50 PM)Pounce FTW Wrote:  It all sounds like good news to me, especially as a South Georgia native.

Ha never heard of a native moving north. You okay? Should we send somebody to save you? Or was it a full blown family separation?

Ha! I'll give the super secret signal if I need extraction. Right now I'm getting by though...04-rock

It's funny...okay, not funny, but mildly amusing to me, I guess...I haven't moved a ton in my life, but I just keep going northward.

Americus-->Macon-->Atlanta-->Asheville-->NJ

(This move was for my wife's job. She excels in a very specific field, and this move brought us right into the heart of pharma country, so there's plenty for me to do.)

Honestly, Jersey gets a bad rap. We're in the NW part of the state where there's a ton of easily accessible green space, but we're close enough to NYC and Philly to get our fill of them. Overall, I love it.

The one thing I will NEVER get used to, though, is this winter. It's not even the cold...it's having one gray day that lasts for four months...03-weeping

So, there ya go. Life story.03-lmfao
01-11-2024 04:13 PM
Advertisement

OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
I wonder if there are enough teeth in Georgia for a dental school?

On another note congrats! Good for yall.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2024 05:28 PM by OsageJ.)
01-11-2024 05:27 PM
111App Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(01-11-2024 05:27 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  I wonder if there are enough teeth in Georgia for a dental school?

On another note congrats! Good for yall.

Disappointed it took this long for this take.
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2024 05:48 PM by 111App.)
01-11-2024 05:48 PM
Dukes94 Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
(01-11-2024 05:27 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  I wonder if there are enough teeth in Georgia for a dental school?

It took y’all this long to get here! Some of you aren’t insufferable enough.
01-11-2024 05:49 PM
111App Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
(01-11-2024 05:49 PM)Dukes94 Wrote:  

It took y’all this long to get here! Some of you aren’t insufferable enough.

I was going to earlier today but got busy.
01-11-2024 05:51 PM
OsageJ Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: stAte
I actually thought of it when I saw the announcement online. I thought I would let someone from a school that played them longer (App) to gig 'em a bit.
01-11-2024 07:30 PM
Advertisement

AlwaysSunny Offline
1st String

I Root For: NCAA

Then you're out of touch. As much as Southern folks have disdain for Atlanta, that's still where the money is for the average person.
01-11-2024 07:54 PM
James Madison Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
As a dental school grad, nice to have a program in the Sun Belt
01-12-2024 12:56 AM
TrueBlueDrew Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jawjuh Suthen
(01-11-2024 07:30 PM)OsageJ Wrote:  I actually thought of it when I saw the announcement online. I thought I would let someone from a school that played them longer (App) to gig 'em a bit.

Not sure why App would be talking oral hygiene smack. Have you been to Boone? Their mascot is a dirty old hobo for a reason.
01-12-2024 08:10 AM
Oldyeller Offline
All American

(01-11-2024 07:54 PM)AlwaysSunny Wrote:  

Then you're out of touch. As much as Southern folks have disdain for Atlanta, that's still where the money is for the average person.

Nah Pounce is out of touch. He whiffed on my insult and shared something relevant.
01-12-2024 08:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.