Kent State Golden Flashes

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Kent State @ Oregon
fallsdog Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent State
Kent State @ Oregon
The Golden Flashes are on the banks of the Willamette River in Eugene Oregon. While there, they will take on the University of Oregon Ducks inside Matthew Knight Arena. The game is scheduled to tip off Thursday at 9PM Eastern Standard. The game will be aired on the PAC12 Network as well on ESPN 850AM radio. On the radio side, the play by play man will be stationed in Portland Maine and the color commentator will be poolside in Fort Lauderdale.

The 7-3 Ducks are coming off a 20 point loss to Syracuse but boast wins over UTEP, Michigan and Georgia. It does appear that Old Man Flash's research is correct and that Oregon will be without starters Jesse Zarzuela (season), Keeshawn Barthelemy and a myriad of other scholarship players.

Despite the injuries, the Ducks are battle tested and playing at home. My limited knowledge of basketball says the Ducks will have plenty of opportunities (from the foul line) to keep this game well within reach should the Golden Flashes come ready to play. I hope KSU packed their defense. Like a toothbrush, razors and hemorrhoid cream, defense is a must on long trips...particularly to Power 5 Arenas.

Oregon is giving the Flashes 6.5. I, however, have a feeling that Kent State is going to pound it inside to Chris Payton Jr, get Bass penetrating like a man on a mission and consistently find Jalen Sullinger alone behind the line ready to hit 4 second half three pointers to go along with 3 in the opening half.

Kent State 78
Oregon 73
Sullinger with 26 points, Payton Jr. with 13 and 12

GO FLASHES!
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2023 11:30 AM by fallsdog.)
12-21-2023 07:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Old Man Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

RE: Kent State @ Oregon
I read an article yesterday saying that Oregon has 3 starters (including their All PAC 12 Center) and a top sub all out with injuries. They got drubbed by Syracuse last weekend. With all that I’ll be disappointed if the Flashes don’t win this one.
12-21-2023 08:25 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(12-21-2023 08:25 AM)Old Man Flash Wrote:  I read an article yesterday saying that Oregon has 3 starters (including their All PAC 12 Center) and a top sub all out with injuries. They got drubbed by Syracuse last weekend. With all that I’ll be disappointed if the Flashes don’t win this one.

Best to play P5 teams like this at full strength and looking past you ... instead of wounded and needing to win vs. a mid-major opponent to avoid a losing skid.

Good luck Kent.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2023 09:59 AM by cleveland.)
12-21-2023 09:58 AM
AlphaFlash Offline
All American

I Root For: Kent St. & UNC
People say bad things about our arena. Tonight we have to play on that drunken floor design.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2023 10:55 AM by AlphaFlash.)
12-21-2023 10:53 AM
burden Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Sounds like we have a good chance to beat this Big10 team.
12-21-2023 01:20 PM
Advertisement

fallsdog Offline
All American

Based on location, they would be a better fit for the SEC or ACC.
12-21-2023 02:23 PM
KSU Agee Offline
Bench Warmer

Nice try. Next.
12-21-2023 09:54 PM
Old Man Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

Kent looking like they don’t want to be there. Payton and Hornbeak a total no show so far. Forcing everything and nothing goin.
12-21-2023 09:56 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

I Root For: Mem & Kent St
(12-21-2023 09:56 PM)Old Man Flash Wrote:  Kent looking like they don’t want to be there. Payton and Hornbeak a total no show so far. Forcing everything and nothing goin.

Hornbeak ain't that guy. Maybe he will look good against conference teams, but tonight wasn't ever going to yield great things for him.

On a side note, SMC beat the piss out of N. Kentucky tonight. That is all the sudden looking tough.
(This post was last modified: 12-22-2023 12:33 AM by dannyb73.)
12-22-2023 12:33 AM
Advertisement

luckyflash Offline
1st String

I Root For: GOLDEN FLASHES
Any word on Gillespie? on crutches after the game.
12-23-2023 11:53 AM
OLNWFLSH Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: KSU
(12-22-2023 12:33 AM)dannyb73 Wrote:  
(12-21-2023 09:56 PM)Old Man Flash Wrote:  Kent looking like they don’t want to be there. Payton and Hornbeak a total no show so far. Forcing everything and nothing goin.

Hornbeak ain't that guy. Maybe he will look good against conference teams, but tonight wasn't ever going to yield great things for him.

On a side note, SMC beat the piss out of N. Kentucky tonight. That is all the sudden looking tough.
Well they have been ranked pretty highly in the Mid Major poll most of the season, definitely a tough game.
12-23-2023 02:28 PM
anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
They're just inside the top 50 on KemPom. The best the MAC has is us and Akron just outside the top 100. If we go out there and win, it would be a very big win.
12-23-2023 05:08 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(12-23-2023 11:53 AM)luckyflash Wrote:  Any word on Gillespie? on crutches after the game.

Haven't seen anything on Gillespie ... hope nothing serious. Kent got some jabs in vs. the Ducks ... closed an 18/20-deficit lead down to 4 midway through the second half, but at that point need your studs to step up and it just didn't happen.

Freeman's line 17/7 looks good off the bench. But he's been good for a one-off like this one or two times a season in his career in Florida. Let's see if it carries over into MAC play, particularly the rebounding. I don't think he had 7 rebounds all year.

Just checked: before Oregon he had 8 straight games with 1 rebound or less ... 5 with 0. (5 vs. Malone - non D1.)

Last season one game of 22 points, one for 13 ... all others less than 10 points; 7 rebounds twice 11 games with 1 reb or less.
2021-22 ... 5 double figure games, none more than 14 ... high of 7 rebounds once ... 11 games with 1 reb or less.

Athletic and talented ... but ... so far something is missing in his bb DNA.
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2023 09:09 PM by cleveland.)
12-24-2023 07:36 PM
Advertisement

anti-zip Offline
All American

I Root For: kent state!
(12-24-2023 07:36 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(12-23-2023 11:53 AM)luckyflash Wrote:  Any word on Gillespie? on crutches after the game.

Haven't seen anything on Gillespie ... hope nothing serious. Kent got some jabs in vs. the Ducks ... closed an 18/20-deficit lead down to 4 midway through the second half, but at that point need your studs to step up and it just didn't happen.

Freeman's line 17/7 looks good off the bench. But he's been good for a one-off like this one or two times a season in his career in Florida. Let's see if it carries over into MAC play, particularly the rebounding. I don't think he had 7 rebounds all year.

Just checked: before Oregon he had 8 straight games with 1 rebound or less ... 5 with 0. (5 vs. Malone - non D1.)

Last season one game of 22 points, one for 13 ... all others less than 10 points; 7 rebounds twice 11 games with 1 reb or less.
2021-22 ... 5 double figure games, none more than 14 ... high of 7 rebounds once ... 11 games with 1 reb or less.

I've never liked guys that have a high variance in rebound numbers. High variance in rebound is an indicator of inconsistent effort, IMO. With that said, he's also had a high variance in minutes so I'm not writing him off as a type of player I don't like just yet. Against Oregon he got 31 minutes. For perspective, that was the first time he broke 20 minutes in a game this year. The previous game he played 6 minutes. The previous 3 games he totalled less than the 31 he got against Oregon. I'm sure part of the minute spike was the Gillespie injury and part of it was a reaction to him playing well to start the game. Coming out of a week off I'm hoping that at least part of it was by design due to him turning a corner in practice. If he starts becoming a factor it will make us tougher. Especially if Gillespie is going to miss time.
12-25-2023 12:04 AM
Old Man Flash Offline
Bench Warmer

(12-25-2023 12:04 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  

I've never liked guys that have a high variance in rebound numbers. High variance in rebound is an indicator of inconsistent effort, IMO. With that said, he's also had a high variance in minutes so I'm not writing him off as a type of player I don't like just yet. Against Oregon he got 31 minutes. For perspective, that was the first time he broke 20 minutes in a game this year. The previous game he played 6 minutes. The previous 3 games he totalled less than the 31 he got against Oregon. I'm sure part of the minute spike was the Gillespie injury and part of it was a reaction to him playing well to start the game. Coming out of a week off I'm hoping that at least part of it was by design due to him turning a corner in practice. If he starts becoming a factor it will make us tougher. Especially if Gillespie is going to miss time.

I think part of the reason for Freeman getting so many minutes was that in the 1st half he was the only player who was scoring. I think Sendy was going with the hot hand.

One more thing…as good as Sullinger is offensively, he’s just as bad on defense. When Kent went on the run and closed to within 4, Jalen’s man took over and just like that the lead was back to 10. He’s just so small…

I really thought Kent could win this with all the injured Oregon players.
12-25-2023 09:30 AM
cleveland Offline
1st String

(12-25-2023 09:30 AM)Old Man Flash Wrote:  
(12-25-2023 12:04 AM)anti-zip Wrote:  

I think part of the reason for Freeman getting so many minutes was that in the 1st half he was the only player who was scoring. I think Sendy was going with the hot hand.

One more thing…as good as Sullinger is offensively, he’s just as bad on defense. When Kent went on the run and closed to within 4, Jalen’s man took over and just like that the lead was back to 10. He’s just so small…

I really thought Kent could win this with all the injured Oregon players.

Agree on Sullinger, and to a lesser degree, Gio .... backcourt defense is really not up to Kent's traditional standards. Don't think it's lack of effort, Sully/Gio just are who they are; small shooters and not pure PGs offensively or defensively. Holding out hope (????) for Bass in that regard but it hasn't shown itself yet. Maybe Moss in another year.

Any word on Gillespie???

Any news on the Miami (O) transfer? Is he locked in yet?
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2023 05:42 PM by cleveland.)
12-26-2023 05:40 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

The Miami transfer is locked in - just can't play this year.
12-27-2023 12:25 PM
Advertisement

GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Who is the transfer?
12-27-2023 07:21 PM
dannyb73 Offline
MAC CHAMPS

(12-27-2023 07:21 PM)GFlash68 Wrote:  Who is the transfer?

https://n.rivals.com/content/athletes/mo...Cw&view=cv
12-27-2023 10:39 PM
GFlash68 Offline
All American

Crappies
Thanks for the info
12-28-2023 12:40 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.