UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS Sports: UAB one of the biggest losers of the 2023 season
blazerjay Offline

I Root For: UAB
Donators
CBS Sports: UAB one of the biggest losers of the 2023 season
Quote:UAB: While Deion Sanders got most of the attention for being a player-turned-coach, Trent Dilfer quietly took over a consistent winner at UAB. The Blazers posted six straight winning seasons under Bill Clark, dating back to the reinstatement of the football program in 2017. It took just one year for the system to collapse. In Dilfer's first season, UAB went 4-8, the worst season in Birmingham since 2013. The losses averaged 18.4 points per game, a miserable performance for one of the proudest programs in the Group of Five.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...-feelings/
12-08-2023 03:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

rook360 Offline
All American

RE: CBS Sports: UAB one of the biggest losers of the 2023 season
(12-08-2023 03:06 PM)blazerjay Wrote:  
Quote:UAB: While Deion Sanders got most of the attention for being a player-turned-coach, Trent Dilfer quietly took over a consistent winner at UAB. The Blazers posted six straight winning seasons under Bill Clark, dating back to the reinstatement of the football program in 2017. It took just one year for the system to collapse. In Dilfer's first season, UAB went 4-8, the worst season in Birmingham since 2013. The losses averaged 18.4 points per game, a miserable performance for one of the proudest programs in the Group of Five.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...-feelings/

I'm gonna give Dilfer his chance, but that last line hurts.

No one cares that we loss our most senior players to the port or to follow our ex-coach.
People can poach all the stats they want, but the one stat that matters is the W's and the L's. Hopefully this next season under Dilfer produces more W's.
12-08-2023 03:21 PM
BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
The last line clearly shows the author doesn't know jack. Or is super high. Or both. "One of the proudest programs in the Group of Five?". I mean, I love my alma mater, but we're a dreg in football. How can someone type that sentence with a straight face?
12-08-2023 05:57 PM
DuelingDragon Offline
All American

Define proud and to whom. I would say based on the events since Dec. 2, 2014, UAB fans are among the proudest of their program in the country.
12-08-2023 06:04 PM
rook360 Offline
All American

(12-08-2023 05:57 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  The last line clearly shows the author doesn't know jack. Or is super high. Or both. "One of the proudest programs in the Group of Five?". I mean, I love my alma mater, but we're a dreg in football. How can someone type that sentence with a straight face?

I don't know about you, but we we're looked upon pretty good in the time Clark was here. 5 bowls in a row, and that's with Vincent. You must be basing your view off of this year, because WE were the original pick to go to the AAC. I'm pretty proud of that.
12-08-2023 06:15 PM
Frank Grimes Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB,Springfield Isotopes
(12-08-2023 06:15 PM)rook360 Wrote:  
(12-08-2023 05:57 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  The last line clearly shows the author doesn't know jack. Or is super high. Or both. "One of the proudest programs in the Group of Five?". I mean, I love my alma mater, but we're a dreg in football. How can someone type that sentence with a straight face?

I don't know about you, but we we're looked upon pretty good in the time Clark was here. 5 bowls in a row, and that's with Vincent. You must be basing your view off of this year, because WE were the original pick to go to the AAC. I'm pretty proud of that.

Please. We were a "good little story" program without a notable OOC win in the regular season. If we were as good as some around here would lead you to believe, we would have been invited before the AAC was raided.
12-08-2023 06:35 PM
Advertisement

BatesUAB Offline
Doombringer, Esq.

I Root For: Hard Liquor
He didn't say proud FANS, he said a proud PROGRAM. And I'm basing my view off of a quarter-century of being a pretty damn dedicated fan. Sure, we've got proud fans, me included. But our program isn't "one of the proudest." What do we have to show? Handful of 8-9 win seasons against garbage opponents in the last decade, bunch of 2 and 3 win seasons, couple of bowl wins all-time. We're an afterthought with an overinflated sense of self-importance. My point in all this is, the article seems to me like an attempt to overinflate what Dilfer took over, which makes it easier to trash him for this season's outcome. My question is why.

The guy said Pac 12 football was a winner, and they're about to cease to exist. Explain that to me, without using the word "Pyrrhic."
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2023 07:38 PM by BatesUAB.)
12-08-2023 07:35 PM
BlazintheAtl1 Offline
All American

(12-08-2023 07:35 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  He didn't say proud FANS, he said a proud PROGRAM. And I'm basing my view off of a quarter-century of being a pretty damn dedicated fan. Sure, we've got proud fans, me included. But our program isn't "one of the proudest." What do we have to show? Handful of 8-9 win seasons against garbage opponents in the last decade, bunch of 2 and 3 win seasons, couple of bowl wins all-time. We're an afterthought with an overinflated sense of self-importance. My point in all this is, the article seems to me like an attempt to overinflate what Dilfer took over, which makes it easier to trash him for this season's outcome. My question is why.

The guy said Pac 12 football was a winner, and they're about to cease to exist. Explain that to me, without using the word "Pyrrhic."

Agree. We've had a total of probably 6 good seasons in our programs history, and our most notable accomplishment is bringing football back after it was killed. No one cares.
12-08-2023 07:50 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

We beat a ranked BYU and folks just shrugged it 03-no
12-08-2023 11:52 PM
Frank Grimes Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB,Springfield Isotopes
(12-08-2023 11:52 PM)C-Finder Wrote:  We beat a ranked BYU and folks just shrugged it 03-no

Bowl games outside of the NY6 just aren’t noteworthy/attention getters, at least not on a national scale.
12-09-2023 01:28 AM
UABFAN23 Offline
1st String

BYU didn’t have their QB, that’s why it didn’t make any noise. Seems like we faced a back up qb every other game under the previous staff. Did so vs Rice quite often. Did so, when we hosted Liberty. Probably some more I forget.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2023 09:24 AM by UABFAN23.)
12-09-2023 09:11 AM
Advertisement

Rell Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Alabama-Birmingham
Watson had 3 winning seasons
12-09-2023 09:18 AM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
While I understand the sentiment, context is important.
That makes it sound like Dilfer took a similar roster against similar opponents and had far worse results. That’s just not the case.

We all know how inexperienced we were, how many freshmen played, etc. This was always going to be a rebuilding year, regardless of who the head coach was.

Add to that the fact that (by my count), if you throw out FCS teams, BC & BV racked up wins against teams that went a combined 236-350 (.403 winning percentage). Dilfer only played 2 teams with a winning percentage that bad, and won them both (granted, he lost to 2 more teams with only 5 wins)

Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of unsatisfying things about Dilfers 1st season. But comparing his record to BCs & BVs isn’t apples to apples
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2023 10:39 AM by LairDweller.)
12-09-2023 09:50 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Yep
12-09-2023 11:01 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(12-09-2023 09:50 AM)LairDweller Wrote:  While I understand the sentiment, context is important.
That makes it sound like Dilfer took a similar roster against similar opponents and had far worse results. That’s just not the case.

We all know how inexperienced we were, how many freshmen played, etc. This was always going to be a rebuilding year, regardless of who the head coach was.

Add to that the fact that (by my count), if you throw out FCS teams, BC & BV racked up wins against teams that went a combined 236-350 (.403 winning percentage). Dilfer only played 2 teams with a winning percentage that bad, and won them both (granted, he lost to 2 more teams with only 5 wins)

Don’t get me wrong, there’s plenty of unsatisfying things about Dilfers 1st season. But comparing his record to BCs & BVs isn’t apples to apples

But it’s hard to crap on Dilfer and his staff when you throw out facts like these.
12-09-2023 11:02 AM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Maybe I should send it to the smack board since it goes against the narrative. Lol
12-09-2023 11:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
(12-09-2023 11:02 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  
(12-09-2023 09:50 AM)LairDweller Wrote:  While I understand the sentiment, context is important.

But it’s hard to crap on Dilfer and his staff when you throw out facts like these.

Not really if you watched the 2nd halves of our games.

Context is very important. Seeing what's right in front of your eyes week in and week out is very important too.
12-09-2023 12:57 PM
LairDweller Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB #1/Iowa #2
(12-09-2023 12:57 PM)The Answer UAB Wrote:  
(12-09-2023 11:02 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

Not really if you watched the 2nd halves of our games.

Context is very important. Seeing what's right in front of your eyes week in and week out is very important too.
2nd halves are definitely one of the unsatisfying things I was speaking of. It’s a legit argument
12-09-2023 01:35 PM
UABFAN23 Offline
1st String

The 2nd half issue has been a problem for quite a few years now. Offensive play callers can’t call the game on the fly. Our Defensive staffs couldn’t make in-game adjustments. Difference this year was that our defensive depth was terrible. There wasn’t holding on for your life this season, like in years prior. We knew we were fugged running out the tunnel, the 2nd time.
12-09-2023 02:13 PM
Golden-Ticket Offline
1st String

Pretty frustrating to watch every single sports outlet project us to win 3-4.5 games this season then absolutely tear us apart for doing exactly that. Truth is we aren’t an important enough program for the writers to go deep enough to see why it happened. Beating a dead horse both inexperience and injuries demolished us on top of a new staff learning. I’m not too worried and I’m surely not going to compare Deion to Dilfer. The only similarity they share is they played in the NFL.
12-09-2023 02:33 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.