Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chicago State joins NEC
Bookmark and Share
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
Chicago State joins NEC
(On hiatus except for factual/info posts ...)

CSU finds a conference.

https://www.csu.edu/news/CSU_join_Northe...erence.htm
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2023 08:55 AM by pvk75.)
12-05-2023 08:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

epicbret Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: Chicago State joins NEC
Actually a great fit
12-06-2023 09:00 AM
epasnoopy Offline
Diehard Huskie

How many conferences have they been a part of in last 10 years? Do they have to keep paying exit and entrance fees? That school must be loaded. Apparently they are also adding another sport that is in addition to football (if they are still doing that?).
12-06-2023 09:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
Who really cares?
12-06-2023 01:56 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU
(12-06-2023 01:56 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  Who really cares?

I do. I find it interesting.
12-06-2023 02:01 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

(12-06-2023 02:01 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Why?
12-06-2023 06:06 PM
Advertisement

holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
Why not the MAC? They are getting football, and we need some of that sweet booty.
12-06-2023 09:28 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(12-06-2023 06:06 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  

Why?

I just do. No real reason.
12-06-2023 10:30 PM
epicbret Offline
Bench Warmer

Why?

It's a local university. We don't live in caves and care about surrounding areas.
12-07-2023 10:30 AM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

(12-07-2023 10:30 AM)epicbret Wrote:  
Why?
It's a local university. We don't live in caves and care about surrounding areas.

Local to DeKalb? Considering all the issues with college athletics today Chicago State's grandiose plans are a waste of money. You want to care about surrounding areas, talk about all the Wheaton, North Central, Lewis Univ., sporting events you've attended, but make sure you buy your season tickets to Cougar triathlon events.
12-07-2023 12:23 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(12-07-2023 12:23 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
Why?

Local to DeKalb? Considering all the issues with college athletics today Chicago State's grandiose plans are a waste of money. You want to care about surrounding areas, talk about all the Wheaton, North Central, Lewis Univ., sporting events you've attended, but make sure you buy your season tickets to Cougar triathlon events.

To complain about one university wasting money seems a bit myopic. NIU wastes money too.

But they're trying to make changes that might bring in more students and create a new identity. I can't fault them for that.

Its funny because many of us here lament our university for sitting on their laurels and not trying to be proactive but when Chicago State is trying something and not just shuttering their doors, they get criticized for wasting money or whatever.

Sometimes you gotta waste money in order to make improvements that pay off down in the future.
12-07-2023 12:52 PM
Advertisement

uiniu57 Offline
All American

(12-07-2023 12:52 PM)Big Red Wrote:  ..... they're trying to make changes that might bring in more students and create a new identity. I can't fault them for that.
Its funny because many of us here lament our university for sitting on their laurels and not trying to be proactive but when Chicago State is trying something and not just shuttering their doors, they get criticized for wasting money or whatever.
Sometimes you gotta waste money in order to make improvements that pay off down in the future.

You seriously believe adding football, women's triathlon, and joining the NEC is going to lead to more enrollment for CSU? What new identity? They've got 15 non-descript mediocre sports programs that probably account for 40% or more of their 3,000-plus enrollment.
We have folks on here debating whether we should drop to FCS and questioning what is viable financially and whether FCS programs can survive. BigRed himself argues that "at least not in Illinois where state funding would never sustain a football program," but you think CSU is being proactive. Please enlighten us as to which ways NIU wastes money that is going to "pay off down in the future."
Sorry, it is one thing for those on this board to constantly complain about the B1G ("I don't want to pay for BTN-plus so I can see NIU vs. Northwestern; like BTN even considers any opponent in what games it chooses to air on regular BTN), the P5s, ESPN second-class treatment of the G5, but let's advocate for CSU trying something different. I'm not suggesting they "shutter their doors" academically, just act realistically when it comes to being Division I athletically. This is The Dog Pound, rooting for the Cougars belongs on the CSU Litterbox chat site.
12-07-2023 05:13 PM
NIU05 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TRUTH
(12-07-2023 12:52 PM)Big Red Wrote:  
(12-07-2023 12:23 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(12-06-2023 02:01 PM)Big Red Wrote:  I do. I find it interesting.
Why?

To complain about one university wasting money seems a bit myopic. NIU wastes money too.

But they're trying to make changes that might bring in more students and create a new identity. I can't fault them for that.

If there was an ounce of character in our educators or politicians that would should shut down that SOB.
12-07-2023 06:31 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(12-07-2023 05:13 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(12-07-2023 12:52 PM)Big Red Wrote:  ..... they're trying to make changes that might bring in more students and create a new identity. I can't fault them for that.

You seriously believe adding football, women's triathlon, and joining the NEC is going to lead to more enrollment for CSU? What new identity? They've got 15 non-descript mediocre sports programs that probably account for 40% or more of their 3,000-plus enrollment.
We have folks on here debating whether we should drop to FCS and questioning what is viable financially and whether FCS programs can survive. BigRed himself argues that "at least not in Illinois where state funding would never sustain a football program," but you think CSU is being proactive. Please enlighten us as to which ways NIU wastes money that is going to "pay off down in the future."
Sorry, it is one thing for those on this board to constantly complain about the B1G ("I don't want to pay for BTN-plus so I can see NIU vs. Northwestern; like BTN even considers any opponent in what games it chooses to air on regular BTN), the P5s, ESPN second-class treatment of the G5, but let's advocate for CSU trying something different. I'm not suggesting they "shutter their doors" academically, just act realistically when it comes to being Division I athletically. This is The Dog Pound, rooting for the Cougars belongs on the CSU Litterbox chat site.

Well...jokes on you. I made that comment completely tongue-in-cheek. So...

The comment...if you care to check into it...was in regards to a comment initially made
by NIU007 that said:

Quote:Is FCS even viable financially? Or is it better to just pull the plug altogether?

Then, huskiealum03 said...:
Quote:Arent there like 100 programs in FCS who do it year in and out?

Finally, I sarcastically said:
Quote:Apparently not...

At least not in Illinois where state funding would never sustain a football program.

Because, there are (by my back of the napkin math here), roughly 5 FCS programs running in the state and I don't know how many D-II, D-III, NAIA and Juco programs who are also plugging along.

So, ya know...context matters, right?

Sorry you missed the sarcasm.
12-07-2023 10:48 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

(12-07-2023 10:48 PM)Big Red Wrote:  Because, there are (by my back of the napkin math here), roughly 5 FCS programs running in the state and I don't know how many D-II, D-III, NAIA and Juco programs who are also plugging along.

First and foremost Big Red, I apologize to you for completely missing the sarcasm on a day when too many things had me in a literal foul mood. My bad and my major error.

Nevertheless I simply don't believe Chicago State is being realistic considering a time when the NCAA is proposing an uber Division I level that will start paying players while continuing the arms race for facilities, NIL packages, and excessive coaching salaries. But the Cougars can enjoy their five minutes of fame because I'm certain the Chicago media and the rest of the sporting world will go back to ignoring the place.
12-08-2023 12:13 PM
tampabayrocketfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U of Toledo
(12-08-2023 12:13 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(12-07-2023 10:48 PM)Big Red Wrote:  Because, there are (by my back of the napkin math here), roughly 5 FCS programs running in the state and I don't know how many D-II, D-III, NAIA and Juco programs who are also plugging along.

First and foremost Big Red, I apologize to you for completely missing the sarcasm on a day when too many things had me in a literal foul mood. My bad and my major error.

Nevertheless I simply don't believe Chicago State is being realistic considering a time when the NCAA is proposing an uber Division I level that will start paying players while continuing the arms race for facilities, NIL packages, and excessive coaching salaries. But the Cougars can enjoy their five minutes of fame because I'm certain the Chicago media and the rest of the sporting world will go back to ignoring the place.

There are only five schools in the MAC that have shown the ability to raise hundreds of millions of dollars to their endowments with values at or over a $500 Million, which would lead me to believe it would potentially correlate well to athletic donations and that include Buffalo, Toledo, Miami, WMU, and Ohio U. The other MAC schools endowments are very small in comparison. The vast majority of donations for athletics run through university foundations which manage the endowments and then are disbursed as directed by the donors.
(This post was last modified: 12-09-2023 08:45 AM by tampabayrocketfan.)
12-09-2023 08:44 AM
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
(12-09-2023 08:44 AM)tampabayrocketfan Wrote:  

There are only five schools in the MAC that have shown the ability to raise hundreds of millions of dollars to their endowments with values at or over a $500 Million, which would lead me to believe it would potentially correlate well to athletic donations and that include Buffalo, Toledo, Miami, WMU, and Ohio U. The other MAC schools endowments are very small in comparison. The vast majority of donations for athletics run through university foundations which manage the endowments and then are disbursed as directed by the donors.

NIU reported a few months back that we were about to embark on a historic $500 mil. raise for the University. According to that summer article it should be announced anytime now. I'm hoping they wouldn't kick-off that large of a raise if they didn't have some of the donors locked in already.
12-09-2023 09:07 AM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

(12-09-2023 09:07 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  NIU reported a few months back that we were about to embark on a historic $500 mil. raise for the University. According to that summer article it should be announced anytime now. I'm hoping they wouldn't kick-off that large of a raise if they didn't have some of the donors locked in already.

Believe the expression is "hope springs eternal".
This is the university wide version of STF's Master(bation) Plan.
12-09-2023 05:19 PM
tampabayrocketfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: U of Toledo
(12-09-2023 09:07 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  

NIU reported a few months back that we were about to embark on a historic $500 mil. raise for the University. According to that summer article it should be announced anytime now. I'm hoping they wouldn't kick-off that large of a raise if they didn't have some of the donors locked in already.

$500M is now sort of the mark that most schools want to be at or above and keep building. Foundations usually kick off 5% of their endowment to the University each year so based on $500M UT gets $25M kicked over the University each year for things like scholarships, buildings/renovations, programs, etc. Then they aim to replace and grow that 5% with current year donations and market based increases (which can also be decreases) UT averages around $25M or more in donations each year so it gets replaced and continues to grow. So instead of having a giant goal one time, UT rinses and repeats every single year to replace and grow. UT Alumni Association & Foundation (now one combined group working together) does a terrific job of programing and seeing alumni clubs all over the country and they never miss doing it. I attend one every year in Tampa. We have a few dozen alumni clubs and they bring folks to each club every single year including The President, AD, Coaches, Professors/Deans and usually a somewhat famous alum or two from that area where the chapter is. You guys know better then me, but if NIU is doing those same things all of the time and every single year they should see success. You cant do this some of the time, its not an afterthought! By the way, I was just reading the Toledo Blade and the AD and President of UT said that they plan on being part of the new subdivision and making football along with men's and women's basketball as the pillars along with the current NIL "Friends of Rocky" run by wealthy alum Cleves Delp! The number is around $6M. I am hopeful that most of the MAC including NIU is able to get there!
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2023 11:00 AM by tampabayrocketfan.)
12-10-2023 10:55 AM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
(12-10-2023 10:55 AM)tampabayrocketfan Wrote:  
(12-09-2023 09:07 AM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  

$500M is now sort of the mark that most schools want to be at or above and keep building. Foundations usually kick off 5% of their endowment to the University each year so based on $500M UT gets $25M kicked over the University each year for things like scholarships, buildings/renovations, programs, etc. Then they aim to replace and grow that 5% with current year donations and market based increases (which can also be decreases) UT averages around $25M or more in donations each year so it gets replaced and continues to grow. So instead of having a giant goal one time, UT rinses and repeats every single year to replace and grow. UT Alumni Association & Foundation (now one combined group working together) does a terrific job of programing and seeing alumni clubs all over the country and they never miss doing it. I attend one every year in Tampa. We have a few dozen alumni clubs and they bring folks to each club every single year including The President, AD, Coaches, Professors/Deans and usually a somewhat famous alum or two from that area where the chapter is. You guys know better then me, but if NIU is doing those same things all of the time and every single year they should see success. You cant do this some of the time, its not an afterthought! By the way, I was just reading the Toledo Blade and the AD and President of UT said that they plan on being part of the new subdivision and making football along with men's and women's basketball as the pillars along with the current NIL "Friends of Rocky" run by wealthy alum Cleves Delp! The number is around $6M. I am hopeful that most of the MAC including NIU is able to get there!

Don't we all wish we were as perfect as the Univ of Toledo.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
12-10-2023 11:18 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.