Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

FSU not in the playoff is a complete travesty
Bookmark and Share
CaliforniaCowboy Offline
1st String

I Root For: Oklahoma State
FSU not in the playoff is a complete travesty
FSU not being in the playoff is a complete travesty!!

I'm not sure when they switched from most deserving teams, to "best teams". They all agree publicly that FSU was the most deserving teams (as all 12-0 conference champions are), but somehow concoct these biased self-serving statistics to promote the teams that they want to see, regardless of who is most deserving.

The moron committee just could not fathom a playoff with no SEC teams involved, while much of the rest of the world would be just fine with it. The other conferences have been omitted from the playoff, but not the media proclaimed "best" SEC.

All the "rankings", SOS, and the vs top teams, is all based on their own biased self-fulfilling prophecies.

Common sense dictates that all undefeated P5 conferences champions are IN, and then the committee's self-serving silly statistics and biases should be used to settle any tie-breakers, not the other way around.

Your thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 02:43 PM by CaliforniaCowboy.)
12-03-2023 02:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
RE: FSU not in the playoff is a complete travesty
(12-03-2023 02:41 PM)CaliforniaCowboy Wrote:  FSU not being in the playoff is a complete travesty!!

I'm not sure when they switched from most deserving teams, to "best teams". They all agree publicly that FSU was the most deserving teams (as all 12-0 conference champions are), but somehow concoct these biased self-serving statistics to promote the teams that they want to see, regardless of who is most deserving.

The moron committee just could not fathom a playoff with no SEC teams involved, while much of the rest of the world would be just fine with it. The other conferences have been omitted from the playoff, but not the media proclaimed "best" SEC.

All the "rankings", SOS, and the vs top teams, is all based on their own biased self-fulfilling prophecies.

Common sense dictates that all undefeated P5 conferences champions are IN, and then the committee's self-serving silly statistics and biases should be used to settle any tie-breakers, not the other way around.

Your thoughts?

not a travesty to me. this is the last year of 4 teams, so this issue won't pop up again. actually it wouldn't even have popped up this year if the ACC didn't join the pac 12 and b1g in that alliance nonsense and block the expansion going into effect this year. you reap what you sow.
12-03-2023 04:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CaliforniaCowboy Offline
1st String

(12-03-2023 04:32 PM)Meatwad Wrote:  not a travesty to me. this is the last year of 4 teams, so this issue won't pop up again. actually it wouldn't even have popped up this year if the ACC didn't join the pac 12 and b1g in that alliance nonsense and block the expansion going into effect this year. you reap what you sow.

spoken like a Florida native with animosity towards a cross-State rival. No logic, just an emotional response.

If the B1G was involved in that alliance, then why not kick out Michigan too from the playoff? (yeah, that's what I thought)
12-03-2023 06:33 PM
Meatwad Offline
1st String

I Root For: UCF & The Arsenal
(12-03-2023 06:33 PM)CaliforniaCowboy Wrote:  
(12-03-2023 04:32 PM)Meatwad Wrote:  not a travesty to me. this is the last year of 4 teams, so this issue won't pop up again. actually it wouldn't even have popped up this year if the ACC didn't join the pac 12 and b1g in that alliance nonsense and block the expansion going into effect this year. you reap what you sow.

spoken like a Florida native with animosity towards a cross-State rival. No logic, just an emotional response.

If the B1G was involved in that alliance, then why not kick out Michigan too from the playoff? (yeah, that's what I thought)
what are you talking about? you make absolutely no sense. i didn't say the playoff committee was getting back at anyone (so where does a kick out michigan come in to this?).we would have a 12 team playoffs this year if not for the pac 12 and ACC stupidly joining with the Big 10 instead of voting with the SEC, big 12 and G5 conferences. they were so desperate to make sure other conferences don't have a path to the playoffs that they ruined it for themselves and now they are crying about their conference champion being excluded. hmm i wonder why that happened.
12-03-2023 07:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
it is good for the Big 12 even with Texas leaving

1. it has nothing to do with the Big 12 it is between the ACC and SEC SEC SEC because Texas had the head to head win over Alabama at Alabama and the better SOS and Texas was slotted 3rd so they were not the ones knocking out FSU

2. the chairman of the committee is the NC State AD that also has ties to ND (Masters degree)

the total connections are like this

SEC 2
ACC 3
MWC 1
AAC 1
PAC 12 1
Big 10 3
MAC 1
Big 12 1

with a couple that had ties to no real major programs and others that had some ties to the ACC as well, but not their major ties and unless you count Jim Grobe as having major ties to Baylor it was the KSU AD that was it for the Big 12

so the ACC had all the representation they could want and the choice was made against them

3. with the above numbers in mind you have to wonder what types of phone calls are being made around the ACC today and from the conference office and how feelings will be in the future towards some programs and towards ESPN (that you know was involved)

4. even with Texas leaving it is still a Big 12 team making it, the Big 12 gets the $6 million, the Big 12 teams contributed 75%+ to the Texas SOS and it is a 3rd team (and another team not called OU) that is making the playoffs for the Big 12....and yes 2 of those 3 are leaving, but it is better than having one of two leaving or worse (thank you TCU) having one of one (OU) leaving with Texas

the Big 12 did not do this, the Big 12 did not cause this, the Big 12 had about the least control of it as anyone, and as pointed out past "alliances" that specifically crapped on the Big 12 helped this become a reality, and the Big 12 simply needs to concentrate on getting at least 2 teams in the 12 every year from now on and a decent mix of teams and let others fight over this and use it to help break things apart and create bad blood
12-03-2023 08:45 PM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
I agree, FSU should have been there.
12-03-2023 09:42 PM
Advertisement

doss2 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: BEARCATS
(12-03-2023 09:42 PM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  I agree, FSU should have been there.

Why, so MI would have an easy game?
12-04-2023 03:39 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF Knights
Sometimes you go undefeated and don’t make it in. There are 4 playoff slots for 5 power conferences, someone was always going to draw the short straw. New playoff system starts next year, sounds like it’s going to solve a lot of problems around the champions access.

Happy the Big 12 team got in. At the very least, we should get a higher payout for the CFP bid over a NY6 bid.

Realignment wise, this upsets FSU and moves us closer to an ACC collapse.

Do I feel bad for FSU? No. Strength of schedule has always been important and the ACC has been losing prestige. Let’s see if they win their bowl game before we cry about it. If they get blown out by Georgia then all of this was about nothing. Everyone who watched the ACC Championship could see the current FSU team is barely hanging on.

Is it a bad sign for the Big 12 in the future? Maybe, we live in a P2 landscape starting next year. The new playoff format will help a lot. Just expect that we are a 1-bid conference and the P2 will have multiple bids.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2023 05:36 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
12-04-2023 05:28 AM
HornFrogFan Offline
2nd String

I Root For: TCU
(12-04-2023 03:39 AM)doss2 Wrote:  

Michigan had an "easy" game last year. Game didn't work out the way they or the national media thought.

It's why you go with on field results and not an assumption of who's better or leave someone out b/c of on an injury. An undefeated power conference champion always deserves to make the playoff. Always. Otherwise the games don't matter and there's no point in playing them.

FSU should be in.
12-04-2023 08:13 AM
bearcatmark Offline

I Root For: the Deliverator
Doesn't bother me at all. It's a stupid 4 team playoff. The criteria is completely subjective, even though they say "four best teams." They typically just rank P5 teams by losses then conference preference within the same number of losses. This year they had a built-in excuse for not doing it (starting QB injury). It's not and never has been a true championship. The 12-team playoff will prevent this kind of nonsense. If you win one of the major conferences, you will get a chance.

The ACC and FSU can only blame their own shortsightedness for this result.
12-04-2023 08:35 AM
tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
(12-04-2023 08:13 AM)HornFrogFan Wrote:  

Michigan had an "easy" game last year. Game didn't work out the way they or the national media thought.

It's why you go with on field results and not an assumption of who's better or leave someone out b/c of on an injury. An undefeated power conference champion always deserves to make the playoff. Always. Otherwise the games don't matter and there's no point in playing them.

FSU should be in.

Exactly! In all likelihood FSU would lose their first game, but they kept winning even after their QB went down.
12-04-2023 08:49 AM
Advertisement

muckdawg24 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UCF
(12-04-2023 05:28 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Sometimes you go undefeated and don’t make it in. There are 4 playoff slots for 5 power conferences, someone was always going to draw the short straw. New playoff system starts next year, sounds like it’s going to solve a lot of problems around the champions access.

Happy the Big 12 team got in. At the very least, we should get a higher payout for the CFP bid over a NY6 bid.

Realignment wise, this upsets FSU and moves us closer to an ACC collapse.

Do I feel bad for FSU? No. Strength of schedule has always been important and the ACC has been losing prestige. Let’s see if they win their bowl game before we cry about it. If they get blown out by Georgia then all of this was about nothing. Everyone who watched the ACC Championship could see the current FSU team is barely hanging on.

Is it a bad sign for the Big 12 in the future? Maybe, we live in a P2 landscape starting next year. The new playoff format will help a lot. Just expect that we are a 1-bid conference and the P2 will have multiple bids.

I don't know man, they may have people sitting in this game since there are no playoff implications so the result might not be a good barometer.
12-04-2023 10:32 AM
CaliforniaCowboy Offline
1st String

LOL.... like last year when MI got that easy game against TCU. SMH.

settle it on the field, not in the conference room.
12-04-2023 10:55 AM
CaliforniaCowboy Offline
1st String

(12-04-2023 05:28 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Sometimes you go undefeated and don’t make it in.

Sometimes?

It has never happened before, not for a P5 team.

This atrocity is totally unprecedented, and they only used weak made up criteria like SOS (where it was them saying who was good in the first place) and other bullcrap

The ACC went 6-4 against the SEC this year. The SEC was totally over rated by those bloated biased BS'ers in the conference rooms.

SEC vs. Big 12 1-2

SEC vs. Big Ten 0-0

SEC vs. Pac-12 2-1

https://www.sportskeeda.com/college-foot...h2h-scores

----------------------------------
let’s review the SEC’s best non-conference wins this season:

Ole Miss beating a Michael Pratt-less Tulane, 37-20.
Missouri topping a then-ranked No. 15 Kansas State.
Kentucky winning at then-ranked No. 10 Louisville.
Georgia beating Georgia Tech by… eight points?
Alabama winning 17-3 at… South Florida?

The SEC clearly should not have been included in the playoff in 2023
12-04-2023 11:08 AM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2023 11:08 AM)CaliforniaCowboy Wrote:  
(12-04-2023 05:28 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  Sometimes you go undefeated and don’t make it in.

Sometimes?

This atrocity is totally unprecedented, and they only used weak made up criteria like SOS (where it was them saying who was good in the first place) and other bullcrap

The ACC went 6-4 against the SEC this year. The SEC was totally over rated by those bloated biased BS'ers in the conference rooms.

SEC vs. Big 12 1-2

SEC vs. Big Ten 0-0

SEC vs. Pac-12 2-1

This is a system we all agreed to. It was designed to keep the G5 out. Now, the lines have been redrawn and its the start of the P2 era. ACC is a casualty of the system working the way it was designed to work. Its an Invitational, its always been an invitational. If FSU doesn't like it: Beat Georgia in NY6 Bowl and Claim a National Title.

Its 2 SEC teams vs 2 Big Ten teams.

Texas literally spent the weekend chanting, "SEC! SEC!"

Next year, we get the Expanded Playoff where the P2 gets 3-5 bids and ACC/Big12 get 1 bid each.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2023 11:34 AM by ArmoredUpKnight.)
12-04-2023 11:31 AM
bearcat65 Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-04-2023 11:08 AM)CaliforniaCowboy Wrote:  

Sometimes?

SEC vs. Big 12 1-2

SEC vs. Big Ten 0-0

SEC vs. Pac-12 2-1

Unprecedented? Not really, UCF had a very good undefeated team that was left out. It was from a G5 conference but the circumstances were similar. They were told they could not compete with the upper echelon teams same as FSU was. They then went on to beat Auburn that year.
FSU at the end of the year was not one of the best 4 teams in college football and the only job the committee has is to put the 4 best teams in. If FSU is looking for sympathy they won't find any from a former group of 5 fan.
12-04-2023 02:54 PM
Advertisement

Edgebrookjeff Offline
1st String

I Root For: bearcats
THIS WOULD BE A GOOD ARGUMENT FOR NOT HAVING CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES.
12-04-2023 04:28 PM
ArmoredUpKnight Offline
Heisman

(12-04-2023 04:28 PM)Edgebrookjeff Wrote:  THIS WOULD BE A GOOD ARGUMENT FOR NOT HAVING CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP GAMES.

Top 4 Champions get a BYE week in Expanded Playoff. That will matter in the next iteration of the CFP.
12-04-2023 04:45 PM
CaliforniaCowboy Offline
1st String

(12-04-2023 11:31 AM)ArmoredUpKnight Wrote:  This is a system we all agreed to. It was designed to keep the G5 out.

"We" did not agree to this. The SEC and the media forced it on us.

It was NOT designed to keep the P5 out, Cincy made it just 2 years ago.

Please, lets just use facts in our discussions.
12-05-2023 08:37 AM
CaliforniaCowboy Offline
1st String

(12-04-2023 02:54 PM)bearcat65 Wrote:  Unprecedented? Not really, UCF had a very good undefeated team that was left out. It was from a G5 conference but the circumstances were similar. They were told they could not compete with the upper echelon teams same as FSU was. They then went on to beat Auburn that year.
FSU at the end of the year was not one of the best 4 teams in college football and the only job the committee has is to put the 4 best teams in. If FSU is looking for sympathy they won't find any from a former group of 5 fan.

Unprecedented is a word that has a specific meaning, and YES, it is unprecedented.

UCF was not a P5 team. An undefeated P5 team HAS NEVER been omitted. Never. Unprecedented.

YOU SAY, that FSU was not one of the best - that is an OPINION only, there is no factual basis for that statement, but it is a fact the FSU is undefeated, and that the ACC went 6-4 against the SEC. Head-to-head is all that matters, anything else is simply pure conjecture.

(FWIW, I though UCF should have been included previously) Like you said, they went on to beat Auburn. These types of issues should ALWAYS be settled on the field, not in the conference room.

I'm only in favor of a 12 team playoff if they take 12 conference winners. Period. (8 would be better)
12-05-2023 08:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.