Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Florida State left out of the playoff for Alabama
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Lessons learned:

- Don't schedule hard games out of conference ... you won't be rewarded for it even if you win.

- If your star player is injured, quit your season immediately. It doesn't matter if you finish undefeated.

- Ugly wins matter if you're not in the SEC. They don't matter if you're in the SEC.

- When the CFP expands to 12, expect a minimum of 4 to 6 SEC teams every year and 3 B1G teams every year. One for whoever wins the ACC. One for whoever wins the Big 12. One for whoever the best G5 is. The end. Three non-P2 bids.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 01:36 PM by georgia_tech_swagger.)
12-03-2023 12:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

random asian guy Online
All American

I Root For: VT, Georgetown
RE: Florida State left out of the playoff for Alabama
I don’t even like FSU but this is just wrong.

Does the ACC have a PR firm to promte the ACC football? Phillips needs to focus on changing the narrative.
12-03-2023 12:40 PM
Pony94 Online

I Root For: SMU
https://x.com/chrisvannini/status/173136...OBPKLg0WDw

A split national championship is in play, because we're getting Florida State vs. Georgia in the Orange Bowl.
12-03-2023 12:42 PM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
I hate it for the FSU fans here but that team last night isn't one of the Top 4 teams in the country. I'm not saying FSU didn't get screwed. What I am saying is FSU gave the CFP committee and ESPN the excuse they needed to keep them out.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 12:55 PM by CardinalJim.)
12-03-2023 12:54 PM
bronconick Offline
Hockey Nut

I Root For: WMU/FSU
Get used to the Big Ten-SEC Invitational.
12-03-2023 12:56 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

I Root For: ASU
It's rare that screwing one schools sticks it to two others. I think it was likely that NC State had the Orange Bowl given Louisville's performance last night. If Louisville had stayed ahead of NC State they are of course screwed out of the Orange Bowl.

After some empirical work FSU playing North Alabama killed them.

Washington's worst OOC team was Tulsa.
Michigan's worst was ECU.
Bama's worst was UT Chattanooga.
Texas's worst was Rice.
Georgia's worst was UT Martin.

UT Chattanooga was 8-5, UT Martin was 8-3, North Alabama was 3-8.
12-03-2023 01:34 PM
Advertisement

SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

(12-03-2023 12:31 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  Lessons learned:

- Don't schedule hard games out of conference ... you won't be rewarded for it even if you win.

- If your star player is injured, quit your season immediately. It doesn't matter if you finish undefeated.

- Ugly wins matter if you're not in the SEC. They don't matter if you're in the SEC.

Lesson no. 4 - don't play horrible FCS schools. You can't score enough against them to overcome the albatross they will be turned into.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 01:35 PM by SouthernConfBoy.)
12-03-2023 01:35 PM

(12-03-2023 01:34 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  It's rare that screwing one schools sticks it to two others. I think it was likely that NC State had the Orange Bowl given Louisville's performance last night. If Louisville had stayed ahead of NC State they are of course screwed out of the Orange Bowl.

Be sure to send your thanks to Boo Corrigan, he's 100% behind the decision made.
12-03-2023 01:37 PM

(12-03-2023 01:35 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  

Lesson no. 4 - don't play horrible FCS schools. You can't score enough against them to overcome the albatross they will be turned into.

I added lesson #4. And you can play a terrible FCS school, but only if you're in the SEC and you play them the week before rivalry week. Then it's perfectly OK.
12-03-2023 01:38 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

(12-03-2023 01:37 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(12-03-2023 01:34 PM)SouthernConfBoy Wrote:  It's rare that screwing one schools sticks it to two others. I think it was likely that NC State had the Orange Bowl given Louisville's performance last night. If Louisville had stayed ahead of NC State they are of course screwed out of the Orange Bowl.

Be sure to send your thanks to Boo Corrigan, he's 100% behind the decision made.

Yeah, keep telling yourself that - He's boards chair and figurehead, not the dictator. What is it today with the desire for dictators?
12-03-2023 01:54 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
Here’s my take:

Michigan - a top four team and they earned it

Washington - not a top four team but they earned it

Texas - a top four team and they earned it

Alabama - a top four team and they earned it

FSU - not a top four team but they earned it

Georgia - a top four team but they didn’t earn it

The problem I have is the way Washington was judged differently than FSU. Sure, Bama is a better team than FSU right now. BUT Georgia would beat the dog **** out of Washington and the committee still put UW as #2. What in the wild world of sports?!?!
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 05:07 PM by esayem.)
12-03-2023 05:05 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams

This is unacceptable on so many levels.

I feel like Boo Corrigan and NC State SHOULD be punished somehow, just not sure what to do... thoughts?

I also understand that former Wake Forest Head Coach Jim Grobe was one of the committee members pushing Alabama over FSU. I know he's a former coach, so I ask: should Wake Forest be punished at all? I'm willing to go either way.
12-03-2023 05:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hokie Mark Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(12-03-2023 05:05 PM)esayem Wrote:  Here’s my take:

The problem I have is the way Washington was judged differently than FSU. Sure, Bama is a better team than FSU right now. BUT Georgia would beat the dog **** out of Washington and the committee still put UW as #2. What in the wild world of sports?!?!

Are you SURE Alabama is a top four team? Based on what, exactly? I mean they're just one week removed from 4th & 31, down by 4 with less than a minute to play! They also lost a home game to Texas, struggled to win at USF (only scored one more point than FSU scored against Louisville), and barely eeked out a victory over 4-8 Arkansas. So, I ask again, are you SURE Alabama is a top four team?
07-coffee3
12-03-2023 05:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

(12-03-2023 05:40 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  

I feel like Boo Corrigan and NC State SHOULD be punished somehow, just not sure what to do... thoughts?

I also understand that former Wake Forest Head Coach Jim Grobe was one of the committee members pushing Alabama over FSU. I know he's a former coach, so I ask: should Wake Forest be punished at all? I'm willing to go either way.
I think FSU will run it up against NC State as long as Boo Corrigan is there. Here's a bonus fun fact: Todd Stansbury was fired same day as Geoff Collins since he hired him and believed in him when it was obvious he was the worst GT FB coach ever (that's a statement of mathematical fact). Todd was immediately hired by Boo to be FB lead within the NCST athletic department. So I wouldn't mind pouring it on NCST either at this s point.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using CSNbbs mobile app
12-03-2023 05:46 PM
tj_2009 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Syracuse

- When the CFP expands to 12, expect a minimum of 4 to 6 SEC teams every year and 3 B1G teams every year. One for whoever wins the ACC. One for whoever wins the Big 12. One for whoever the best G5 is. The end. Three non-P2 bids.

The result should surprise nobody. I am sure there are many people like me who realize that college football is based on politics and the record of the team is secondary to that. There has always been some bias in college football and it just became more apparent to many people today. I think FSU fans did not know about the unwritten rules that have always governed college football. If it is a close competition between Texas, Alabama and FSU then FSU was going to lose 100% of the time. No question about it.
If people who follow college football thought about it, they would know in their heart of hearts that FSU was going to get left out due to the politics end of college football. It is both a sporting and politics event. It doesn't make college football bad, it is what it is. If you want true competition then follow the NFL.
I am under no delusions that even if a dream season happened most teams would have no chance of making the college playoff.
Once people recognize that it is a sports and popularity contest then they will not be disappointed.
The college playoff committee just reminded people that there are politics in addition to the sport.
I suggest people lower their expectations of their team ever winning a national championship as even if they win on the field they will probably lose in the politics part of college football and will thus be at a disadvantage to get selected to the college playoff. With all of that said, I will watch and bet on the college playoff games.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 05:50 PM by tj_2009.)
12-03-2023 05:48 PM
esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

(12-03-2023 05:43 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(12-03-2023 05:05 PM)esayem Wrote:  Here’s my take:

Are you SURE Alabama is a top four team? Based on what, exactly? I mean they're just one week removed from 4th & 31, down by 4 with less than a minute to play! They also lost a home game to Texas, struggled to win at USF (only scored one more point than FSU scored against Louisville), and barely eeked out a victory over 4-8 Arkansas. So, I ask again, are you SURE Alabama is a top four team?
07-coffee3

I think they are currently a top 4 team, yeah. They just beat #1
12-03-2023 05:55 PM
Advertisement

esayem Online
Hark The Sound!

The best thing about Bama getting in is that they will expose the Big Ten bias once again as they slaughter Michigan in front of millions
12-03-2023 05:56 PM
JAE_VT Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Have read all the current responses, I’m going to say out loud what everyone is thinking:

Today’s decision will ultimately force FSU to leave the ACC and join either the B1G or SEC. Think about it, the decision to leave out the undefeated ACC Champ shows the world how the power brokers of College Football really feels about the ACC. If the perception of the ACC was that of a dominant football conference on par with either B1G or SEC, then FSU would be in the playoffs. What bugs the heck out of me is Washington’s inclusion and Texas. But of course, Texas is future SEC so that conference perception gave them an extra oomph.
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2023 06:12 PM by JAE_VT.)
12-03-2023 06:05 PM
Gamenole Offline
All American

I Root For: S Carolina & Fla State

I understand the impulse, but I think that would set a terrible precedent. We don't want people on the committee worried about possible sanctions, we want them focused on choosing the best teams. I don't agree with their decision this year, but I don't think we would improve the process by adding potential punishments for "getting it wrong".

It is quite interesting though that NC State seems to be in the thick of controversial decisions these days...first the changed vote on Cal-Stanford-SMU, now chairing the first playoff committee to leave out an undefeated power conference champion. Is Boo Corrigan making decisions to curry favor with someone, and if so, who?
12-03-2023 06:06 PM
SouthernConfBoy Offline
1st String

BC's former AD is on the committee - I wonder if he secretly plotted against the ACC as well.
12-03-2023 06:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.