Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The ACC should try to get everybody qualified for a bowl
Garrettabc Online
Heisman

I Root For: Florida State
The ACC should get very creative to try to close that revenue/perception gap with those other 2 conferences, I like the changes that were made already in the last year, but I’d like to see something that wouid increase the odds of all teams qualifying for a bowl game which means more money for the ACC.

1) Playing ND is a reward - if your team went 4-4 or better in conference the previous year then you qualify to play ND the following year. This keeps rebuilding teams from overloading their schedule and gives ACC teams a chance to win or at least make a good showing.

2) ACCCG participants get a next season rematch - conference schedules are adjusted so that the ACCCG participants battle it out again, throwing out the weakest opponent from each team’s rotation (except the annual games) for a few purposes: prime time slot, gives other teams a chance to play in the ACCCG, and gives the weaker teams that were thrown out a chance to get to bowl eligibility.

3) Flexible G5 opponents - rather than each school filling out their schedule with G5 opponents, let the ACC do it for you. This would also require the cooperation of the G5 conference(s). We wouid not want a good G5 playing a bad ACC team, we want a bad G5 playing bad-mediocre ACC teams.
11-30-2023 09:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
RE: The ACC should try to get everybody qualified for a bowl
(11-30-2023 09:40 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  The ACC should get very creative to try to close that revenue/perception gap with those other 2 conferences, I like the changes that were made already in the last year, but I’d like to see something that wouid increase the odds of all teams qualifying for a bowl game which means more money for the ACC.

1) Playing ND is a reward - if your team went 4-4 or better in conference the previous year then you qualify to play ND the following year. This keeps rebuilding teams from overloading their schedule and gives ACC teams a chance to win or at least make a good showing.

2) ACCCG participants get a next season rematch - conference schedules are adjusted so that the ACCCG participants battle it out again, throwing out the weakest opponent from each team’s rotation (except the annual games) for a few purposes: prime time slot, gives other teams a chance to play in the ACCCG, and gives the weaker teams that were thrown out a chance to get to bowl eligibility.

3) Flexible G5 opponents - rather than each school filling out their schedule with G5 opponents, let the ACC do it for you. This would also require the cooperation of the G5 conference(s). We wouid not want a good G5 playing a bad ACC team, we want a bad G5 playing bad-mediocre ACC teams.

interesting...
07-coffee3
11-30-2023 02:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
Trying to get 3 more teams Bowl eligible is probably only gong to bring in another 5 or 6 mil. We'd be much better off scheduling to try and get a 2nd or 3rd team in the playoffs as those playoff units are probably going to be $20-40 mil each.

That's going to be hard to do when you're 2-loss teams are automatically slotted behind the B1G and SEC 2-loss teams and it's hard to go 1-loss or undefeated.
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2023 11:32 PM by ChrisLords.)
11-30-2023 11:32 PM
Garrettabc Online
Heisman

Good point. What I’m proposing the top teams in the ACC would have an incredible SoS, a 2 loss ACC team wouid look very attractive. Media bias might still be in play, but I don’t think it has influenced the playoff commitee’s decision on who goes.
12-01-2023 06:42 AM
Advertisement

Blust3 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Pittsburgh
(11-30-2023 02:19 PM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  
(11-30-2023 09:40 AM)Garrettabc Wrote:  1) Playing ND is a reward - if your team went 4-4 or better in conference the previous year then you qualify to play ND the following year. This keeps rebuilding teams from overloading their schedule and gives ACC teams a chance to win or at least make a good showing.

interesting...
07-coffee3

No can do. Football games are scheduled years ahead. Not to mention Notre Dame needs to adjust other game schedule based on ACC schedule so the strength of schedule will be reasonable and consistent.
(This post was last modified: 12-01-2023 12:05 PM by Blust3.)
12-01-2023 12:05 PM
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
The only way you can get all ACC teams bowl eligible is for every team to have fewer losses in conference play. If every team is between 3-5 and 5-3 in conference, then nobody is going to have 10 win seasons and the league would never get a second team in the CFP going forward. Having 11 teams qualified (plus Notre Dame as #12) is as good as it gets.
12-01-2023 01:39 PM
Garrettabc Online
Heisman

(12-01-2023 01:39 PM)ken d Wrote:  The only way you can get all ACC teams bowl eligible is for every team to have fewer losses in conference play. If every team is between 3-5 and 5-3 in conference, then nobody is going to have 10 win seasons and the league would never get a second team in the CFP going forward. Having 11 teams qualified (plus Notre Dame as #12) is as good as it gets.

Win 4 OOC games and 2-6 in conference gets you in a bowl. To me that’s manageable, Wake was the only team this season that did not reach at least a 2-6 conference record. I think the goal is doable, even falling 1 or 2 teams short out of 17 is still pretty good.

It’s difficult guessing who is going to be good or not, but I think most people figured UVA and Wake were going to struggle which they did, UVA could have benefitted from an easier G5 team instead of JMU, Wake really did not need a game vs ND in a rebuild year.
12-01-2023 01:56 PM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Online
Heisman

Not that anyone high up in the ACC reads these boards, but if these ideas were implemented FSUs or any ACC team’s SoS would not be an issue.
12-03-2023 04:12 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
Well, that can be done through OOC. There's no reward for playing hard OOC and winning, so why bother? Duke gets to most of their bowl games this way.

No more FSU-LSU. No more GT-Ole Miss. No more NC-SC. No more Pitt-TN. Let's all schedule FCS. Right before rivalry week.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using CSNbbs mobile app
12-03-2023 04:22 PM
georgia_tech_swagger Offline
Res publica non dominetur

I Root For: GT, USCU, FU, WYO

SkunkworksFolding@NCAAbbsNCAAbbs LUGCrappies
(11-30-2023 11:32 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Trying to get 3 more teams Bowl eligible is probably only gong to bring in another 5 or 6 mil. We'd be much better off scheduling to try and get a 2nd or 3rd team in the playoffs as those playoff units are probably going to be $20-40 mil each.

That's going to be hard to do when you're 2-loss teams are automatically slotted behind the B1G and SEC 2-loss teams and it's hard to go 1-loss or undefeated.
Impossible. If things were decided on the field maybe, but they're not. So long as a committee picks the CFP, there will be fuckery. The ACC should focus on elimination of the CFP committee.

12-03-2023 04:25 PM
Advertisement

Garrettabc Online
Heisman

Whether it helps or not, I’d rather the ACC put their best foot forward and maybe change the public perception.
12-03-2023 04:26 PM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(12-03-2023 04:25 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The ACC should focus on elimination of the CFP committee.

Bingo.

Autobids for conference champs and a clearly-defined path so that every team knows what to do to earn a playoff at-large bid. No need for rankings if ou do it right.
12-03-2023 11:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ken d Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(12-03-2023 04:25 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  
(11-30-2023 11:32 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  Trying to get 3 more teams Bowl eligible is probably only gong to bring in another 5 or 6 mil. We'd be much better off scheduling to try and get a 2nd or 3rd team in the playoffs as those playoff units are probably going to be $20-40 mil each.

Impossible. If things were decided on the field maybe, but they're not. So long as a committee picks the CFP, there will be fuckery. The ACC should focus on elimination of the CFP committee.

The idea that we could have a system in college football in which a national championship could be determined on the field sounds like a worthy goal. But ACC fans should be careful what they wish for. That is a goal which will require a dramatic reduction in the number of schools competing for that title. And, in that world, most ACC schools won't be included in the final number.

They may well be included in some other smaller collection of schools that also competes for a championship - just not the one that will be widely recognized as the national collegiate champion. They may be the Triple A of college football, whose players aspire to be "promoted" to the big leagues. That's better, and more prestigious than Double A or a rookie league.

But it's just not possible for more than 100 schools to amass the resources needed to compete with the goliaths of college football. Nor is it possible for that many schools to play each other in a way that establishes an appropriate pecking order of those worthy of qualifying for a playoff without doing away with conferences that are self-selected, rather than ones which are created for the purpose of spreading the talent far more widely that we have ever had in college football without benefit of a talent draft.

There is a reason why professional sports leagues tend to only have around 30-32 teams. And they have mechanisms like drafts and collectively bargained payroll caps to improve competitiveness and playoff access. It's unlikely IMO that more than a couple of ACC teams would qualify to be part of such a league. Maybe schools will eliminate a selection committee process. But most of them won't like what replaces it.
12-08-2023 08:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.