Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2023-24 College Basketball Ratings Thread
schmolik Online
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
MyBB 2023-24 College Basketball Ratings Thread
Sports Media Watch has a page keeping track of these by week.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college...men-women/

Day of Week Date Time Network Visitor Conference Home Conference Viewers
1 Thursday 11/23/2023 4pm FOX Michigan State Big Ten Arizona Pac 12 5.183
2 Sunday 3/17/2024 3:30pm CBS Wisconsin Big Ten Illinois Big Ten 3.646
3 Sunday 3/3/2024 1pm FOX Ohio State Women Big Ten Iowa Women Big Ten 3.388
4 Saturday 3/16/2024 8:30pm ESPN NC State ACC North Carolina ACC 3.237
5 Saturday 2/3/2024 6:30pm ESPN Duke ACC North Carolina ACC 3.199
6 Saturday 3/9/2024 6:30pm ESPN North Carolina ACC Duke ACC 3.076
7 Sunday 3/10/2024 noon CBS Nebraska Women Big Ten Iowa Women Big Ten 3.021
8 Saturday 3/16/2024 4pm CBS Nebraska Big Ten Illinois Big Ten 2.978
9 Saturday 3/16/2024 1pm CBS Wisconsin Big Ten Purdue Big Ten 2.735
10 Saturday 3/9/2024 4pm CBS Kentucky SEC Tennessee SEC 2.61
11 Saturday 2/3/2024 8:30pm ESPN Tennessee SEC Kentucky SEC 2.525
12 Saturday 12/16/2023 6pm CBS North Carolina ACC Kentucky SEC 2.397
13 Saturday 2/10/2024 4pm CBS Gonzaga WCC Kentucky SEC 2.308
14 Sunday 2/4/2024 1pm CBS Purdue Big Ten Wisconsin Big Ten 2.225
15 Saturday 3/16/2024 6pm ESPN Iowa State B12 Houston B12 2.108
16 Sunday 3/10/2024 4:30pm CBS Michigan State Big Ten Indiana Big Ten 2.056

I debated whether to list games of 1.5 million or more or games of 2 million or more. Last season only 12 games before the NCAA Tournament (counting conference tournament games) had 2 million viewers but 40 games before the NCAA Tournament had 1.5 million viewers. This college football season overall viewing is up. If the trend continues into basketball season as we get further away from the pandemic, they'll just be too many games for the 1.5 million threshold and we might have enough 2 million games for this to be decent. I'll be commenting on sub 2 million games throughout the season as appropriate.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2024 05:56 AM by schmolik.)
11-15-2023 05:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

schmolik Online

RE: 2023-24 College Basketball Ratings Thread
Week 1:

Arizona at Duke had 1.19M on Friday night on ESPN2. It probably would have had more viewers had it been on a weeknight and/or on ESPN rather than ESPN2. On Friday, it's hard to bump football.

UConn (my girl Paige Bueckers is back!)/NC State got 625,000 on ABC. I watched the game. I'm sure most of you were watching another sport which is why it only got 625,000. Still, it got more viewers than all men's games other than Arizona-Duke. In fact, #4, #5, and #6 for the week were all women's games, one of them was a game that aired on Monday at 1pm ET! Then again, I'm looking at some of the top men's games this week and I see why, other than Arizona-Duke, you had mostly the top teams playing one bid conference teams. One of the games was Villanova playing Lemoyne. Are they even Division 1? The game got 76,000 viewers! I don't even think I watched that game! I have no idea where Lemoyne is. Was Wilkes University not available? Hey, Penn did play them!
11-15-2023 05:12 AM
schmolik Online

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/11...ament-cfp/

Not good.

"As for the Champions Classic itself, Kentucky-Kansas averaged 1.53 million and Duke-Michigan State 1.51 million — down 2 and 25 percent respectively from last year’s equivalent windows (Kentucky-Michigan State: 2.03M; Duke-Kansas: 1.56M). The two-game average of 1.52 million (-17%) ranks as the lowest ever for the event."

I will predict we will get our first 2 million game on Thanksgiving. FOX scheduled a special game, Michigan State vs. Arizona, at 4pm ET, after their NFL game. The game will be played in Palm Desert, CA.

Chances are the game won't have a relevant viewership but Illinois women's basketball played a game on NBC on Saturday. It was a Notre Dame game and it was played in Washington DC. It aired before the Notre Dame game yesterday. I guess it's part of Notre Dame's football package. I'm surprised since I thought all Notre Dame non football rights belong to the ACC but somehow this game escaped. I just happened to find out an Illinois game on NBC as being unusual.
11-19-2023 05:59 PM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
(11-15-2023 05:12 AM)schmolik Wrote:  Week 1:

Arizona at Duke had 1.19M on Friday night on ESPN2. It probably would have had more viewers had it been on a weeknight and/or on ESPN rather than ESPN2. On Friday, it's hard to bump football.

UConn (my girl Paige Bueckers is back!)/NC State got 625,000 on ABC. I watched the game. I'm sure most of you were watching another sport which is why it only got 625,000. Still, it got more viewers than all men's games other than Arizona-Duke. In fact, #4, #5, and #6 for the week were all women's games, one of them was a game that aired on Monday at 1pm ET! Then again, I'm looking at some of the top men's games this week and I see why, other than Arizona-Duke, you had mostly the top teams playing one bid conference teams. One of the games was Villanova playing Lemoyne. Are they even Division 1? The game got 76,000 viewers! I don't even think I watched that game! I have no idea where Lemoyne is. Was Wilkes University not available? Hey, Penn did play them!

Lemoyne is in Syracuse, NY. It joined the NEC this season, so it is transitioning to D1.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2023 07:03 PM by orangefan.)
11-19-2023 07:03 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Online
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
(11-19-2023 05:59 PM)schmolik Wrote:  https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/11...ament-cfp/

Not good.

"As for the Champions Classic itself, Kentucky-Kansas averaged 1.53 million and Duke-Michigan State 1.51 million — down 2 and 25 percent respectively from last year’s equivalent windows (Kentucky-Michigan State: 2.03M; Duke-Kansas: 1.56M). The two-game average of 1.52 million (-17%) ranks as the lowest ever for the event."

I will predict we will get our first 2 million game on Thanksgiving. FOX scheduled a special game, Michigan State vs. Arizona, at 4pm ET, after their NFL game. The game will be played in Palm Desert, CA.

Chances are the game won't have a relevant viewership but Illinois women's basketball played a game on NBC on Saturday. It was a Notre Dame game and it was played in Washington DC. It aired before the Notre Dame game yesterday. I guess it's part of Notre Dame's football package. I'm surprised since I thought all Notre Dame non football rights belong to the ACC but somehow this game escaped. I just happened to find out an Illinois game on NBC as being unusual.

The Michigan State-Arizona game is actually being played in Thousand Palms at the Acrisure Arena, about 8 miles from Palm Desert. But it is in the Palm Springs/Palm Desert area, so it is all the same. I want to see the game, but Thanksgiving Day is just not a good travel day for me.
11-19-2023 08:39 PM
clpp01 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Arizona
(11-19-2023 05:59 PM)schmolik Wrote:  I will predict we will get our first 2 million game on Thanksgiving. FOX scheduled a special game, Michigan State vs. Arizona, at 4pm ET, after their NFL game. The game will be played in Palm Desert, CA.

The Michigan St/Arizona game ended up drawing over 5 million.

11-28-2023 02:03 PM
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
11-28-2023 11:23 PM
schmolik Online

ACC-SEC Challenge:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/11...s-rangers/

"The ACC-SEC Challenge continued to trail its predecessor"

"Wednesday’s Duke-Arkansas ACC-SEC Challenge college basketball game averaged 1.40 million viewers on ESPN, down 14% from North Carolina-Indiana in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge last year (1.63M). Earlier in the night, Tennessee-North Carolina averaged 1.24 million, down 2% from Ohio State-Duke a year ago (1.27M). "

"Three of four ACC-SEC Challenge games on ESPN have now declined from last year’s equivalent ACC-Big Ten matchups, the exception being Miami-Kentucky on Tuesday night."

I'm shocked the ACC-SEC is not as popular as ACC-Big Ten! NOT! Well you do have Kentucky. Probably would have been better if Kentucky played Duke or North Carolina and you would have had a mega game. Shouldn't have screwed us over.
11-30-2023 07:28 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
(11-30-2023 07:28 PM)schmolik Wrote:  ACC-SEC Challenge:

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2023/11...s-rangers/

"The ACC-SEC Challenge continued to trail its predecessor"

"Wednesday’s Duke-Arkansas ACC-SEC Challenge college basketball game averaged 1.40 million viewers on ESPN, down 14% from North Carolina-Indiana in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge last year (1.63M). Earlier in the night, Tennessee-North Carolina averaged 1.24 million, down 2% from Ohio State-Duke a year ago (1.27M). "

"Three of four ACC-SEC Challenge games on ESPN have now declined from last year’s equivalent ACC-Big Ten matchups, the exception being Miami-Kentucky on Tuesday night."

I'm shocked the ACC-SEC is not as popular as ACC-Big Ten! NOT! Well you do have Kentucky. Probably would have been better if Kentucky played Duke or North Carolina and you would have had a mega game. Shouldn't have screwed us over.

Eh…I’m OK with the viewership. As a diehard ACC fan, it’s great to see the teams play exciting games during a condensed two day window…especially, early season games. Sure I would prefer playing the B1G, but the games versus the SEC were fun…enough upsets, and no conference had a rout. I’m surprised that the ratings were this high.
12-01-2023 08:41 AM
schmolik Online

Sports Media Watch hasn't been doing a good job keeping track of basketball games this season. I don't think we've had a 2 million viewer game this season other than the Thanksgiving one. Maybe one piggy backing off an NFL game, I'll double check.

On the other hand, Caitlin Clark does it again... Not two million but pretty damn close.

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/2024/...ince-2010/

"– Sunday’s Big Ten women’s college basketball game on NBC and Peacock featuring Ohio State’s thrilling overtime victory over Caitlin Clark and Iowa averaged 1.93 million viewers – with 1.86 million viewers on NBC stations, ranking as the most-watched regular season women’s college basketball game on any network since 2010."

We don't know if Caitlin will come back next season but if she does, NBC, FOX, and CBS should get a few more Iowa games. If she does go to the WNBA, I can see WNBA ratings and attendance skyrocketing.

By the way, a men's Big Ten game (Michigan State-Maryland) aired at the same time on CBS. 1.23 million to the nearest hundredth vs. 1.86 million for the women. Same conference.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/01...hit-highs/
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2024 04:24 PM by schmolik.)
01-23-2024 04:22 PM
schmolik Online

SMW has updated their college basketball ratings page.

To date only two games this season have had 2 million or more viewers. Last Sunday's Iowa-Ohio State women's basketball game looks like the third most watched women's basketball game all season, men's or women's.
01-25-2024 09:04 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(01-25-2024 09:04 PM)schmolik Wrote:  SMW has updated their college basketball ratings page.

To date only two games this season have had 2 million or more viewers. Last Sunday's Iowa-Ohio State women's basketball game looks like the third most watched women's basketball game all season, men's or women's.

will be interesting to see the ratings tonight for South Carolina/LSU women.
01-25-2024 09:20 PM
schmolik Online

(01-25-2024 09:20 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(01-25-2024 09:04 PM)schmolik Wrote:  SMW has updated their college basketball ratings page.

Tough to match Iowa since it was on a Thursday night and on ESPN but hopefully it will draw a good audience. I watched the game. Last year LSU and Caitlin Clark got all the attention but everyone forgot South Carolina and my Philly girl (woman) Dawn Staley was undefeated before Iowa beat them in the semifinals and was the defending champ before everyone started watching women's basketball.

Last night South Carolina reminded the country to not forget them. They're still undefeated this year too. With South Carolina only playing LSU once and the SEC Championship in Greenville, SC, there's a good chance South Carolina enters the women's tournament undefeated again although I wouldn't mind a LSU-South Carolina rematch in the SEC Championship.

You know who's also flying under the radar this season? My girl Paige Bueckers:) People are paying $100-$200 to see Caitlin while I believe I only paid $19 + convenience charges to see Paige. I don't know if many are you are from New York and are familiar with the Islanders arena but they closed up the upper level of seats for that game. The attendance for that game was 2,858 and most of the fans near me clearly were UConn fans. Plenty of people will go to see Paige in Connecticut but not as many away from home.
01-26-2024 06:12 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(01-26-2024 06:12 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(01-25-2024 09:20 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

Tough to match Iowa since it was on a Thursday night and on ESPN but hopefully it will draw a good audience. I watched the game. Last year LSU and Caitlin Clark got all the attention but everyone forgot South Carolina and my Philly girl (woman) Dawn Staley was undefeated before Iowa beat them in the semifinals and was the defending champ before everyone started watching women's basketball.

Last night South Carolina reminded the country to not forget them. They're still undefeated this year too. With South Carolina only playing LSU once and the SEC Championship in Greenville, SC, there's a good chance South Carolina enters the women's tournament undefeated again although I wouldn't mind a LSU-South Carolina rematch in the SEC Championship.

You know who's also flying under the radar this season? My girl Paige Bueckers:) People are paying $100-$200 to see Caitlin while I believe I only paid $19 + convenience charges to see Paige. I don't know if many are you are from New York and are familiar with the Islanders arena but they closed up the upper level of seats for that game. The attendance for that game was 2,858 and most of the fans near me clearly were UConn fans. Plenty of people will go to see Paige in Connecticut but not as many away from home.

I think UConn is under the radar because they played 3 really good teams, and weren't all that competitive with any of them. Get another chance tomorrow with Notre Dame, and then there is South Carolina on Super Bowl Sunday.
01-26-2024 08:56 AM
schmolik Online

(01-26-2024 08:56 AM)stever20 Wrote:  
(01-26-2024 06:12 AM)schmolik Wrote:  You know who's also flying under the radar this season? My girl Paige Bueckers:) People are paying $100-$200 to see Caitlin while I believe I only paid $19 + convenience charges to see Paige. I don't know if many are you are from New York and are familiar with the Islanders arena but they closed up the upper level of seats for that game. The attendance for that game was 2,858 and most of the fans near me clearly were UConn fans. Plenty of people will go to see Paige in Connecticut but not as many away from home.

I think UConn is under the radar because they played 3 really good teams, and weren't all that competitive with any of them. Get another chance tomorrow with Notre Dame, and then there is South Carolina on Super Bowl Sunday.

It's hard to tell how good UConn is because the Big East is so weak in women's basketball. Only one other team is ranked (Creighton) and UConn beat them in Omaha 94-50! All of UConn's losses were early when they were recovering from the Azzi Fudd loss and the freshmen weren't ready and two of them were on the road. I don't think any of them would beat Connecticut in the state of Connecticut but unfortunately this year the NCAA Women's Tournament isn't being played in the state of Connecticut either. I don't see UConn beating South Carolina with the game being at South Carolina (I think it would be hard beating them in Storrs or Hartford as well). My hope is UConn gets a #1 seed and if the Pac 12 schools beat them up we have a chance. South Carolina and Iowa will get two of them and unless LSU wins the SEC Tournament they won't be.
01-26-2024 09:19 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

so it did draw a good audience-
01-26-2024 05:41 PM
Advertisement

schmolik Online

(01-26-2024 05:41 PM)stever20 Wrote:  so it did draw a good audience-

Beat the NBA head to head.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/01...ic-sinner/
01-26-2024 06:17 PM
schmolik Online

It's finally basketball season. We had three men's basketball games pass 2 million viewers this past week with Duke at North Carolina passing 3 million. Purdue at Wisconsin passed 2 million on Sunday afternoon with neither team being a household name.

Meanwhile in women's basketball, Caitlin Clark continues to draw. 1.578M last Saturday at 8pm with the first half hour against the last half hour of Duke/North Carolina and the rest of the game vs. Tennessee-Kentucky.
02-06-2024 05:02 PM
Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(02-06-2024 05:02 PM)schmolik Wrote:  It's finally basketball season. We had three men's basketball games pass 2 million viewers this past week with Duke at North Carolina passing 3 million. Purdue at Wisconsin passed 2 million on Sunday afternoon with neither team being a household name.

Meanwhile in women's basketball, Caitlin Clark continues to draw. 1.578M last Saturday at 8pm with the first half hour against the last half hour of Duke/North Carolina and the rest of the game vs. Tennessee-Kentucky.

So 2m is achieved by Blue Bloods playing each other and/or a Top 10 matchup. I watched Caitlin Saturday night, it's definitely the thing to do now. But the basketball itself isn't very good.
02-07-2024 09:07 AM
schmolik Online

Gonzaga-Kentucky is the latest to reach over 2M.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2024/02...a-liv-nhl/

Meanwhile Duke played Boston College but couldn't even crack 1 million viewers at 2pm on ESPN.

I've said FOX Primetime Hoops is a gimmick. Indiana-Purdue was outdrawn by another Big Ten game airing earlier in the day on CBS (Illinois-Michigan State). 1.195M in prime time? Couldn't FOX just air reruns of Cops and get 1.195M?
02-14-2024 08:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.