RE: Weighing the success of Protective Stadium - ABC3340
Winning solves everything 03-yes
11-09-2023 02:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
kdblazer Offline
All American

I Root For: UAB
Athletics in particular football then basketball drive enrollment for none ivy/Stanford schools. Its extends the brand beyond a schools region of influence. The articles about attendance need to stop. UaB is 3-6, what do people expect. If we had a 30k ocs the attendance would be fine aesthetically because the stadium would be 3/4 capacity instead of half.
11-09-2023 07:27 PM
ATTALLABLAZE Offline
Administrator

I Root For: UAB Blazers

The Parliament AwardsCrappiesDonatorsBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardCrappies
Aesthetically, it would be fine financially it would not. We need to be averaging in the mid 30s.
11-09-2023 11:29 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Answer UAB Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB!!!
(11-09-2023 11:29 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Aesthetically, it would be fine financially it would not. We need to be averaging in the mid 30s.

We haven't had half of that for any of the games I've seen. The quoted attendance numbers are as truthful as ADMI saying there was no contact between AK and WVU.
11-09-2023 11:37 PM
C-Finder Offline
All American

I see the student section be little to nothing after halftime even when we win or lose
11-10-2023 01:07 AM
blazers9911 Offline
Hall of Famer

Survivor Runner-up
(11-09-2023 11:29 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Aesthetically, it would be fine financially it would not. We need to be averaging in the mid 30s.

Wasn’t the OCS going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $67M at the time? I find it hard to believe we’d have to average mid 30’s to support that.
11-10-2023 07:53 AM
Advertisement

THE_LEGEND Offline
1st String

from what I've seen on campus while its in session, most the students don't look the types to watch American football/baseball/basketball....

if they watch sports at all....
11-10-2023 08:00 AM
mixduptransistor Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-10-2023 07:53 AM)blazers9911 Wrote:  

Wasn’t the OCS going to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $67M at the time? I find it hard to believe we’d have to average mid 30’s to support that.

The business plan at the time would've been net cash positive for UAB with the attendance numbers from Legion Field at the same time

Keep in mind all the non-UAB events happening at Protective Stadium would be happening at a UAB stadium

Also, I guarantee you'd have an easier time filling seats if it was on campus, had proper tailgating on the Green, concessions under the control of UAB and subject to fixes after complaints of the fans, etc. Not to mention a UAB that was willing and allowed to have a stadium would likely seek out and hire better administrators and staff for the athletics department that would generate better events, results on the field, and experiences for fans instead of just coming in every day to make the donuts.
11-10-2023 09:34 AM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
That's why we are not allowed to have an on campus stadium. UAT is quite aware of all the advantages that entails, and they made damn sure UAB would not have them.
11-10-2023 12:02 PM
Advertisement

Ramblin Wreck Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Georgia Tech/ UAB/ Bama
Everybody needs to quit complaining and making excuses and go to the games. It used to be that it was the BOT's fault, it was because Legion Field is in a high crime area, it was because Legion Field was old and sucked, it was because Watts and Ingram hated you, etc.

Well guess what? Brand new stadium, easy access from interstate, plenty of parking decks for a low price to park in, plenty of amenities and clean restrooms inside and outside the stadium. Now it is because hotdogs cost too much and free valet parking is not available. It isn't an on campus stadium like Bartow Arena, but I have never been to a game there that had greater than 30% of the seats filled either.

Unfortunately for people like myself that make an effort to support local teams and events, the vast majority of people don't go to sporting events, movies, amusement parks, etc. now. I remember when 75,000 people attended the Vanderbilt - Air Force bowl game at Legion Field. Those days are gone. However, UAB fans and students have no excuse to sit at home and complain instead of consistently having 25,000 plus butts in seats for the home games. 

There is my old man rant for the day. 03-hissyfit

Cheers though, I'll be keeping a close eye on the UAB - Navy score today. In regard to basketball.....3 point difference from being 2-0 instead of 0-2. ugh....
11-11-2023 11:45 AM
uabblazer2012 Offline
All American

(11-11-2023 11:45 AM)Ramblin Wreck Wrote:  Everybody needs to quit complaining and making excuses and go to the games. It used to be that it was the BOT's fault, it was because Legion Field is in a high crime area, it was because Legion Field was old and sucked, it was because Watts and Ingram hated you, etc.

Well guess what? Brand new stadium, easy access from interstate, plenty of parking decks for a low price to park in, plenty of amenities and clean restrooms inside and outside the stadium. Now it is because hotdogs cost too much and free valet parking is not available. It isn't an on campus stadium like Bartow Arena, but I have never been to a game there that had greater than 30% of the seats filled either.

Unfortunately for people like myself that make an effort to support local teams and events, the vast majority of people don't go to sporting events, movies, amusement parks, etc. now. I remember when 75,000 people attended the Vanderbilt - Air Force bowl game at Legion Field. Those days are gone. However, UAB fans and students have no excuse to sit at home and complain instead of consistently having 25,000 plus butts in seats for the home games. 

There is my old man rant for the day. 03-hissyfit

Cheers though, I'll be keeping a close eye on the UAB - Navy score today. In regard to basketball.....3 point difference from being 2-0 instead of 0-2. ugh....

Well said. Beat Clemson
11-11-2023 11:47 AM
UABFAN23 Offline
1st String

I imagine the ones sitting at home this season, aren’t UAB fans.

#EFEL

It’s a little more embarrassing now, because Im sitting on the side the camera is facing. Used to be able to hide at legion field when we played bad football.

Sections 124, 125, 126 have gotten emptier and emptier since October ‘21. I’m afraid I’m going to become a meme when I end up as the only fan still attending games on the east side.

Our true fanbase is small and that’s why so many of us know each other by face. Have seen the same faces for decades. We should be thankful that we gave children’s harbor an allotment of tickets. They kept us above 20k. Will have trouble reaching that # next week.
11-11-2023 12:01 PM
Advertisement

Frank Grimes Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: UAB,Springfield Isotopes
(11-11-2023 12:01 PM)UABFAN23 Wrote:  I imagine the ones sitting at home this season, aren’t UAB fans.

#EFEL

It’s a little more embarrassing now, because Im sitting on the side the camera is facing. Used to be able to hide at legion field when we played bad football.

Sections 124, 125, 126 have gotten emptier and emptier since October ‘21. I’m afraid I’m going to become a meme when I end up as the only fan still attending games on the east side.

Our true fanbase is small and that’s why so many of us know each other by face. Have seen the same faces for decades. We should be thankful that we gave children’s harbor an allotment of tickets. They kept us above 20k. Will have trouble reaching that # next week.

Would be nice to get a win this week and have some sort of crowd there next with Bammer and the Barn having two buy games next week. I'm not holding my breath though, this city just seems unwilling to support us until we start winning on a bigger scale. Can't say I blame them.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2023 12:14 PM by Frank Grimes.)
11-11-2023 12:12 PM
UAB Band Dad Offline
Occasionally Reasonable

I Root For: A Free UAB!
BlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk AwardBlazerTalk Award
125 is never going to be empty. I can easily name a dozen of us hardcores who will be sitting there with you, same as we have all season.

If we can recruit and coach up a defense we'll be better next year. Winning helps, winning with Dilfer's offense is fun to watch.

I'm watching Michigan - Penn State. Penn St made a drive into the red zone, and the announcer said that it was the first time all season that the Michigan D had allowed another team inside the ten. I know they played straw men most of the season, but it's mid-November. Penn St was held to a field goal.

Gimme some of that.
11-11-2023 01:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.